Undergrad working within School of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndTheState

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would definitely keep the job, but continue to enroll in more science classes and get that GPA up above a 3.0. A LOR from someone like that would be tremendous, but if you read my only post on here, you'll see how you can't always rely on others to do your hard work for you :). Best of luck! The position sounds amazing.

How many students are participating among dental students and researchers? A large amount. I had an opportunity (but declined as Im already applying to dental school) to do research with dental residents/advanced dental programs. That little line on your CV is not going to cover up for a 2.69 SGPA. Don't delude yourself into thinking you are the only one to have impressive ECs.

Learn from the opportunity as it is a good one and be prepared to do a masters. A post-bacc isn't saving that gpa.

There is of course that tiny little chance you do get accepted, but that is the bottom .01% of applicants. It is the same chance a fellow with a 4.0 and 24 DAT does NOT get into any school(which has happened). I believe you should have consulted more people before applying, as I would not have advised it. But oh well, perhaps you do can hit gold.

I would definitely keep the job, but continue to enroll in more science classes and get that GPA up above a 3.0. A LOR from someone like that would be tremendous, but if you read my only post on here, you'll see how you can't always rely on others to do your hard work for you :). Best of luck! The position sounds amazing.

He is a senior in undergrad, no amount of classes is going to move that 2.69 to a 3.0.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think its a cool opportunity to work/research in a dental school. I personally wish I was working on the inside too. You will probably get to say hi to admissions people at Umich from time to time. Good luck man, you never know. Just finish strong and then maybe plan on a good post/bach/smp plan incase you need to strengthen your app. I know Wayne has a good bms program that Detroit Mercy thinks highly of.

What could get your foot in the door would be to take post-bac classes to get over a 3.0 cum and then apply for a masters and get around a 3.8-4.0 GPA in grad school. Otherwise you're likely not going to get an interview, let alone an acceptance. Keep the job though since if you do get your grades up it'll be good for you to have on your resume.

Good to hear about your experience at UMich. I interned at the dental school last summer in the Biologic and Materials Sciences department and had an excellent experience.

To be completely honest, I would have strongly recommended you pursue a post-bac. or Masters program to increase your GPAs. I strongly feel that you will not receive interviews based on those numbers, they are significantly (~.6/.8 GPA points) below the national average of enrolled applicants. IMO, even if you were to reach out the ADCOMs/admissions directors of each school you've applied to with an updated resume including your current position, it would be very unlikely that you will be offered an interview.

Nothing but the best to you and enjoy your time working with Dr. Fasbinder.

I assist D4 UMich students at their rotation site. The dental director specifically included in my LOR that I interact with UMich students daily. I have an LOR from two Umich dental faculty.

I'm still waiting for my UMich invite. I feel like our inside connections are not enough. You do have a unique advantage in terms of location though. If I were you, I would do my best to accidently run into Pattie.

The other day I was offered a job within University of Michigan's dental school as a research assistant under Dr. Dennis Fasbinder. He directs the school's Computerized Dentistry Unit and is basically one of the top researchers in the country when it comes to CEREC and restorative materials. My first day of work/training was today and it went well, but that's besides the point.
I'm a senior undergrad at Umich and applied to 12 d-schools this summer. Unfortunately, as everything has been submitted, I cannot add this awesome opportunity to my "professional experience." What are your suggestions for me in which I can let schools know of this update? Your first answer might just be wait till you get an interview, but I'm fearful that I won't get any... here's why...
Overall GPA: 2.85
sGPA: 2.69
So that obviously sucks, but I feel this job could really help get my foot in the door for at least an interview somewhere. I mean, how many undergrads are doing research along dental students and lead researchers? I am also certified to legally administer dental radiographs... lots of shadowing and dental assisting experience (how I got the job)... good letters of rec... My DAT AA is 20... 3 generations of dentists precede me... so everything looks great besides that elusive GPA.
Honestly today I felt like I had just hardcore infiltrated the system as I watched dental students do work, peaked into classrooms, wore a white coat that said "Assistant Research Faculty," and shook hands with all these doctors who just assume I'll get in this cycle. Little do they know I have been down on myself all year because it's near impossible for someone like me to get in with such a low GPA. What are your thoughts, guys and girls? How should I proceed with such an opportunity?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How many students are participating among dental students and researchers? A large amount. I had an opportunity (but declined as Im already applying to dental school) to do research with dental residents/advanced dental programs. That little line on your CV is not going to cover up for a 2.69 SGPA. Don't delude yourself into thinking you are the only one to have impressive ECs.
This is absolutely true, though I know it is difficult to hear. You will likely need a master's to be competitive.

Last edited:
Its definitely a great opportunity that is unique and prestigious. You seem to be enjoying the experience. You need to firstly ask yourself what you want to do in the future. Stats and opportunity costs aside. I think thats the first question you should ask yourself. I would suggest shadowing a dentist and overtime make the decision on where you want your life headed. On a side note if you want have a solid chance of getting into a dental goal, the most efficient way in your scenario because you have taken a lot of classes as a senior in undergrad (thus harder to bring up your GPA) is to aim to get over 22+ on the DAT.