UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yay yay yay! I just got my acceptance from the ASA list! woooo! Movement does happen! ShyRem =) First of all, you're the greatest...you should get a hall of famer award from SDN. Second is...you mention waiting until the 2nd years tell us what books to use. Where should this interaction be happening? I would imagine we'd get a book list in the endless amount of paperwork you mention, and we might meet them at orientation? That's my guess...thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

You will have paperwork at orientation regarding books. Also, the second years have traditionally held a "how-to" "what-to-do" and "what-NOT-to-do" session during orientation. It was VERY helpful.

One thing you should get, however: gloves. Nitrile non-latex gloves in YOUR SIZE for anatomy lab. At LEAST a couple boxes because the PAs and nursing students will raid your stash when they have lab (yeah, the professors will say "we won't let them do that" but they always do anyway - they think med students are rich). And throw-away scrubs you can burn later. And a do-rag to cover your head. Your hair will stink of formaldehyde no matter what, but at least you can avoid the occassional fat glob in your hair. glasses too. Anytime you cut bones you'll need glasses to avoid bone chips.

Women, get a throw-away bra. You'll never get the stink out of it. And shoes/sneakers.

BUT NO BOOKS. Not even an anatomy atlas. Perhaps a medical dictionary... but even that i would definitely wait on.

Now if any of you know of a family moving out here, I may have a house for rent if it doesn't sell. Beautiful house (and I do mean BEAUTIFUL). Great neighborhood for kids (heck, one of the best neighborhoods in Biddeford).

I agree with "itsnotlupus", SHYREM must get a hall of famer award from SDN. I understand that during orientation we will be given the second year student's book list, but that is about two days before classes start! Isn't that too late?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Congrats to all those accepted at UNECOM. I have a quick question:
any folks have experience with pre-reqs in progress while applying

I'm planning to take org I and II fall & spring semester.

My first choice school is UNECOM, but I don't know whether I should apply this year or waite until next year when everything is done

Any insight by folks who have been through the process or are currently going through it

Many thanks in advance. I loved reading this forum.

i was thinking the same thing...sounds like an opportunity cost for knowing the right list :/. Anyone have any thoughts as to just how far, "too far," is a drive from home to campus? I'm looking at a place that is "20-30" minutes drive, but its right off I-95, beautiful, quiet, and woodsy. I'm trying to imagine how irritated I might be having to drive after a long day of classes...

hey atcpt1, regarding your questions, this is what I think is the right thing to do:

do not apply to med school until you take org I and II. PLUS classes like genetics, biochemistry, immunology and pharmacology. Those are classes that look good on your transcript AND they are very important for the MCAT. Undoubtedly DO NOT take the MCAT until you take org chem.

Just my thoughts... hope it helps...

The premed process was very important for me, and it was also unforgettable I remember having asked everybody many many questions... I will be happy to help when possible... so do not hesitate to ask.

i was thinking the same thing...sounds like an opportunity cost for knowing the right list :/. Anyone have any thoughts as to just how far, "too far," is a drive from home to campus? I'm looking at a place that is "20-30" minutes drive, but its right off I-95, beautiful, quiet, and woodsy. I'm trying to imagine how irritated I might be having to drive after a long day of classes...

When I interviewed they said they had at least one student who commuted from New Hampshire. How far, I don't know. Portsmouth is <30 minutes away.

However, I'd be weary of distance. While it's not an issue in the fall or late spring, it may be a problem in the winter. Snow will affect your commute in a big way. If you're from a state that has a snow laden winter, then perhaps you have already considered this. If you are not, then I'd think long and hard about "20-30" minutes by google maps.

hey atcpt1, regarding your questions, this is what I think is the right thing to do:

do not apply to med school until you take org I and II. PLUS classes like genetics, biochemistry, immunology and pharmacology. Those are classes that look good on your transcript AND they are very important for the MCAT. Undoubtedly DO NOT take the MCAT until you take org chem.

Just my thoughts... hope it helps...

The premed process was very important for me, and it was also unforgettable I remember having asked everybody many many questions... I will be happy to help when possible... so do not hesitate to ask.

Marydoc,

Thanks for the information and advice. Trust me I'm taking notes

First, I haven't taken genetics, immunology, or pharmachology

I have taken chem 1/2; physics 1/2, bio 1, zoology, micro, anatomy, physiology, stats, biochem (org prereq waived) as well as some plant bio courses....and many science/anatomy based courses for professional study in athletic training and physical therapy. Imbedded within some of that coursework was a cursory study of immunology and pharmacology.

Can you comment on my preparation (suggestions) and

Would folks advice against taking the MCAT without first completing Org 1/2? Is it reasonable to use MCATexamcracker to prepare for the MCAT without formal coursework in this area?

Many thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Classes don't usually actually "start" until after orientation - which is usually your first two or three days on campus. Have they given you your class schedule yet?

Anatomy lab you can save by going in on a dissector, scalpel blades, probes, etc. with your table mates. You can usually get a Netter's for free by joining AMSA or SOMA or something like that. I used mostly BRS (Board Review Series) books and MRS (Made Ridiculousy Simple) series books - the latter especially for bacT. Lecture ppts and mp3s will be your best friends (but bacT is not available on mp3). Use Goljan for path. You'll need a histology atlas. I also used path and histo websites extensively which were very helpful. OMM department has their own book you buy. WalMart actually has pretty good prices and 99 cent shipping for lots of textbooks. I recommend getting a Savarese OMT book early and reading it as you go through OMM.

There is plenty of time to buy books. You have block exams so your first exams are in like 8 weeks or so. And frankly, the bookstore is not too much more expensive for most books once you figure in shipping.

Hey guys, I'm withdrawing. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist, hang in there!

Hello everyone!

1 = I am wondering how much on average (based on your experience) a normal 1 bedroom apartment in biddeford spends in electricity.

2= what is the best phone company in maine? (signal strenght wise)

3= also, does anyone have cable? which one? how much do you pay for it?

THANK YOU! I AM WORKING ON MY BUDGET, and this are crucial things to know.

Thanks!!!!!

I had time warner all in one package - cable, phone, and internet. Worked well. A little expensive, but I got expanded digital or something like every channel possible except premium channels. It ran something like $130/month. You can check out current prices online and packages.

How much you spend in electricity is HIGHLY HIGHLY variable. Do you cook? Are your appliances gas or electric? Heat? Water heater? And how insulated is your apartment/house? Good? Poor? Do you do holiday decorating? Energy efficient bulbs or regular old incandescents? How about TV? Computer? Printer? Energy savers? Do you let them sleep or do you turn off all the power on the power strip? How old are the appliances? WAAAAAAAY too many variables to give an answer about electric bill. With your question and no further information, all I can give you is anywhere from $30-$600/month.

I assume for "phone company" you're talking cell phone. I hear AT&T is good in southern maine. Nextel/Sprint is ok, but not great and doesn't get reception in the buildings on campus, Lowes, or WalMart (but that's the only problem I ever had). Great reception everywhere else.

hey guys, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.

One more question: I do not need financial aid, at least during my first year. Do you guys know what payment options UNECOM offers? In other words, can I pay my tuition in a monthly, biannually, annually?? do you know how that works?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can pay monthly, by semester, or I'm sure they'd take an annual payment too. Actually, I'm quite sure they don't care as long as they get their $$$. They have instituted online billing and online payment if you are interested in that. You'll get your bill soon enough, but if you want to talk options call UNE and work something out that suits your needs/budget.

If anyone is looking for a place to rent beginning this August we have 1 bedroom left in a 4 bedroom house about 3 miles from campus. Rent is $475. The house is for UNECOM students only. Message me for details.

Hey guys, has anyone fulfilled the HIPPA training already? any thoughts, I'll do it tomorrow, any feedback would be great.
thanks!

It takes a while and is really annoying. And if you don't take long enough it spits out a warning message when you're done - I ignored that and never heard anything more from administration about it.

Get used to it though. You'll be doing it every year.

Anyone have a minute to explain the way living expenses are disbursed? I see that it is done two weeks into the semester and that room/board, travel, and misc are broken down into $12000, $4000, and $1600 awards, respectively. But is it separated into two lumps, one for each term? or is it $17600 all at once? I'm trying to figure out how to pay my landlord =)

You get one distribution for fall and another for spring. The spring distribution will come a few days before classes start again. I think I got mine the 29th of December or so. Your second year fall disbursement will come about a week before classes start.

Anyone have a minute to explain the way living expenses are disbursed? I see that it is done two weeks into the semester and that room/board, travel, and misc are broken down into $12000, $4000, and $1600 awards, respectively. But is it separated into two lumps, one for each term? or is it $17600 all at once? I'm trying to figure out how to pay my landlord =)

Per the FA office, we should get our loan disbursement on Wednesday the 4th.

HIPPA and OSHA ??? Can anyone expand on what we will need to do regarding these 2.

HIPPA and OSHA ??? Can anyone expand on what we will need to do regarding these 2.

You should have access to the COM class of 2014 page. Every Wednesday they update the pre-orientation paperwork at a glance with new paperwork or things that need to be completed prior to matriculation. If you didn't receive a letter from the dean about access to this, your UNE email, & etc. about a month ago you should probably check in with the school. There's quite a few things to do and the HIPPA and myers-briggs were due last week (although I'm sure they're lenient on this).

Hey, you must take both the HIPAA and OSHA. They are pretty straight forward, just go online and take them... HIPAA takes about 2 hrs to complete.

HAS ANYBODY RECEIVED THE BOOK LIST YET? I am a little concerned about that... I have no clue what books we should be buying by now...

THANKS!

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS YET.

I repeat

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS (yet).

Many of those "required" books you will NEVER EVEN OPEN. Wait until orientation - your upperclassmen should give you a list of books they and classes before have found more useful than the "required" books. You can often get away with spending MUCH less than if you buy all the "required" books.

Hey, you must take both the HIPAA and OSHA. They are pretty straight forward, just go online and take them... HIPAA takes about 2 hrs to complete.

HAS ANYBODY RECEIVED THE BOOK LIST YET? I am a little concerned about that... I have no clue what books we should be buying by now...

THANKS!

The book list and a number of other important looking things were posted on the COM 2014 page this week. Some are mandatory and due soon.

ShyRem and other upperclassmen/grads: I know we have to buy scrubs and scalpels and things before our first day. Do you have any recommendations of where to buy scrubs? I would like to go somewhere I can try them on (I hate how scrubs are sized). Do they sell scalpels, gloves, and good protective eyewear in the bookstore? I promise not to buy any books in advance but do you recommend buying the medical equipment kit in advance or just waiting until I show up on campus?

Thnx

You'll have a few days of orientation to buy stuff. I would go in on a box of scalpel blades with your table mates and share the cost a bit. There used to be scalpel handles in the lab. Not shiny and new, but you won't care after the first slice anyway. You can get scalpel blades in the bookstore.

The eyewear is standard glasses. Get some comfortable ones. Worth it and only a few extra bucks. Gloves I'd get before you come - they tend to be in short supply. Also keep them in your EXTERNAL locker. If you leave them in lab they'll be scammed by PA and nursing students who think med students are rich and can afford to buy more.

You can get scrubs in walmart. Get the cheapest ones you can - they're going to be disgusting and you're going to burn them later anyway. Also get a doo-rag. Your hair will thank you.

As for medical equipment, get a stethoscope and a used ophtho/oto if you must. Many folks borrow other people's ophtho/oto's... you will rarely use them after first two years so get used. Don't spend a ton of money on ophtho/oto. DO spend good money on a GOOD stethoscope. If you can, go find somewhere you can try different ones out. Spend the extra money for one that you can hear a LOT (but do NOT NOT NOT buy an electronic one - you will not be allowed to use it on your boards).

You do NOT need a BP cuff.
Definitely get a NICE reflex hammer. You'll use it forever. Spend the dough. Personally I HATE the tomahawk triangle style.
Get ONE tuning fork (the big one would be fine).
DEFINITELY get a Maxwell's.
Do NOT buy an eye chart.
You can throw your stuff in any old bag, so don't bother with a nice one. Get a cheap canvas bag.

hi guys...could someone please let me know if there is any specific size for the scalpel blades that they want?
secondly, for the opthalmoscope/otoscope (in the welch allyn diagnostic kit) - is there a specific kind/model that we need? because the supply list isn't very descriptive about it...
thanks!

whatever blades you want that fit your handle.

whatever ophtho/oto you want that fits your hand. I got a pocket model because I have little bitty hands. Totally worth it and I actually used it a lot. And it was WAY cheaper than the standard set. There was someone in my class who had a very old set but it still worked so it was free, unique, and worked just fine.

I am wondering where the majority of the 2014 class people live... I'll live in Biddeford, right on main street... anybody else is around?

Also, do we need to get Maine driver's licenses or we can just drive with our out-of-town ones?

Thanks!

You'll have a few days of orientation to buy stuff. I would go in on a box of scalpel blades with your table mates and share the cost a bit. There used to be scalpel handles in the lab. Not shiny and new, but you won't care after the first slice anyway. You can get scalpel blades in the bookstore.

The eyewear is standard glasses. Get some comfortable ones. Worth it and only a few extra bucks. Gloves I'd get before you come - they tend to be in short supply. Also keep them in your EXTERNAL locker. If you leave them in lab they'll be scammed by PA and nursing students who think med students are rich and can afford to buy more.

You can get scrubs in walmart. Get the cheapest ones you can - they're going to be disgusting and you're going to burn them later anyway. Also get a doo-rag. Your hair will thank you.

As for medical equipment, get a stethoscope and a used ophtho/oto if you must. Many folks borrow other people's ophtho/oto's... you will rarely use them after first two years so get used. Don't spend a ton of money on ophtho/oto. DO spend good money on a GOOD stethoscope. If you can, go find somewhere you can try different ones out. Spend the extra money for one that you can hear a LOT (but do NOT NOT NOT buy an electronic one - you will not be allowed to use it on your boards).

You do NOT need a BP cuff.
Definitely get a NICE reflex hammer. You'll use it forever. Spend the dough. Personally I HATE the tomahawk triangle style.
Get ONE tuning fork (the big one would be fine).
DEFINITELY get a Maxwell's.
Do NOT buy an eye chart.
You can throw your stuff in any old bag, so don't bother with a nice one. Get a cheap canvas bag.

Thanks for the tips, ShyRem. I heard that some people wear crocs in anatomy but don't we need to wear closed toe shoes?

Hey! where do you guys are looking for the furniture? I don't want to spend $1000 in a bed and $500 in a table... any tips?
thanks!

Hey! where do you guys are looking for the furniture? I don't want to spend $1000 in a bed and $500 in a table... any tips?
thanks!

There's bobs discount furniture which has pretty nice stuff which is where I'll be going. I'd also check out Mardens and Chapter 11 in Portland, two stores who sell massively discounted furniture.

There's an ikea in stoughton, MA which is about 2 hrs away. I'm sure there are other people in our class who would want to make that road trip. It may even be worth calling to see if they'll deliver to biddo from that far away.

Check out furniture superstore. Better quality. Bobs has a really wonderful tempurpedic knock off mattress though. Pure heaven. Truly. But their couches and chairs are pretty cheaply made. Try Furniture Superstore. Much better quality.

I have two questions for the essays; the first being
Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?
What does it mean (outside the direct practice of Medicine?)
also
Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
What if I have had no contact? Should I maintain contact with an individual before I apply?

medicineman, you're not going to get much help in LAST years forum. outside medicine means outside medicine, as in what is their role in society. if you don't know anyone there, then you don't. there are still 2-3 other parts of that question to write about. it's not a big deal