UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UNECOM is a great school but the tuition is a problem, as it is for all med schools. A friend of mine is going to Rush Medical College here in Chicago and she told me the other day she calculated that after school if she made the minimum required payments to her loans it would come out to $850,000 by the time it was payed off over the years.

I couldn't believe it, until she walked me through it.

Oh, and if anyone is actually considering doing HPSP, as a former service member, yes you should think long and hard about it but honestly, physicians in the military are almost civilians. People don't bug them and they don't deal with a lot of garbage like other officers. Just remember, if you do HPSP in the Navy you will be forced to do 1-3 years of General Medical Officer duty BEFORE you start residency and that still doesn't coutn towards the time you owe on the scholarship.

I just wanted to make a correction to the statement above....the Navy no longer forces people into "GMO" tours..you will get to apply to match in December for the military match and then again in March for the civilian match. The Navy prefers people to specialize right away in a specialty you match to and desire to work in...The whole forced GMO thing is a thing of the past. Please contact me if anyone would like to get over $270K to complete school!

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to make a correction to the statement above....the Navy no longer forces people into "GMO" tours..you will get to apply to match in December for the military match and then again in March for the civilian match. The Navy prefers people to specialize right away in a specialty you match to and desire to work in...The whole forced GMO thing is a thing of the past. Please contact me if anyone would like to get over $270K to complete school!
This is a flat out lie. 4 lies, actually, one after another.

How late does UNECOM interview? We still haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)

Perrotfish is correct. You are wrong. While some (minimal) progress has been made converting GMO billets to board-certified positions, the great majority of HPSP/USUHS Navy grads are still required to do GMO tours, and this is not likely to change in the forseeable future.

It is very, very disturbing to me that an official "Navy HPSP Advisor" as your username implies is either so misinformed or deceptive.

Interview offered for 3/15! Any idea how many spots are left?

Hello All:

I would love someone to answer the following questions as I make my decision between DMU and UNECOM.

Thanks!

What is the arts, culture and music scene like in Maine (Biddeford, Portland)?
What are people's political views?
Is there a local, organic food movement?
How would you describe the students?
How would you rate UNE-COMs program compared to other schools?
Is there an interest in global health?

Hello All:

I would love someone to answer the following questions as I make my decision between DMU and UNECOM.

Thanks!

1. What is the arts, culture and music scene like in Maine (Biddeford, Portland)?
2. What are people's political views?
3. Is there a local, organic food movement?
4. How would you describe the students?
5. How would you rate UNE-COMs program compared to other schools?
6. Is there an interest in global health?

Please forgive me for adding the numbers. It will make it easier to follow my answers. :)

1. Depends on what you like. There are many art coffee shops, concerts for rock, country, pop music, several lovely classical groups around the area. There is the Portland Dance Company. Boston is only a few hours away if you want more.

2. Political views. All over the place. Maine in general is a blue state. Many people want their lives to be left alone and the government can butt out thank you very much. However, you can find political views of all kinds, just like anywhere else in the country. Not sure what you're asking here.

3. There are several lovely local organic farms in the area. And Whole Foods Market in Portland.

4. Students are... well... med students. I would say diverse, others would say not so much. I don't look at color, nationality, language so much as character though. Mainly the students are cooperative, not many gunners, helpful. But definitely type A students.

5. Hard to say - most UNE students haven't been students anywhere else to objectively give you a comparison of programs. That's not a fair question. I will say I did aways in Ohio and could more than stand my own with other students, both MD and DO. There are good and bad in every program, and UNE is no different. There is also fabulous opportunity for wonderful unique learning.

6. Again, not sure what you're asking. We do have an MPH program. There are usually programs for international medical care in the summer you can find. We have several students in my class who went to Haiti after the earthquake there.

My personal take: I interviewed at both UNE and DMU four years ago when I applied. I am now about to graduate in less than 2 months and got into my #1 choice program. I withdrew from consideration at DMU after my interview there. My interview day was horrible, and DMU was my #1 choice before interview day. UNE was almost dead last on my list until the interview day - it shot to near the top. There was only one school higher than UNE, and I never got off their waitlist. UNE was a better fit for me than DMU.

Go with your gut. Where do you see yourself at? I can tell you DMU is almost certainly cheaper to live than UNE. There are successful students both places. Where do you see yourself fitting in after visiting both places?

Go with your gut. Where do you see yourself at? There are successful students both places. Where do you see yourself fitting in after visiting both places?

:thumbup:

I would also add you may want to factor in the financial part of the equation well. Go where you think you will fit well primarily factoring in the financial part (tuition, cost of living etc). If you are taking loans, more than likely you will have significant loans to repay after residency/fellowship.

Shy is alot closer to the application process than I am and is a great resource for this board, so highly value her thoughts on this (especially if she makes me some of those nationally renowned cookies).

Wook

I totally agree, financial is a big part. Bear in mind, UNECOM students have the highest debt load of ANY medical students in the country. ANY. MD or DO.

Even with debt load, however, I couldn't see myself going to DMU. Not that it isn't a fine school - I know many students from there who were very very happy with their choice and have done quite well. It just absolutely so totally was NOT the place for me.

(especially if she makes me some of those nationally renowned cookies).

Woah, cookies? Looks like maybe I'm matriculating a few years too late!

Members don't see this ad :)
Way too late.

Chocolate chip with toasted pecans
Skinny peanut wafers
Pennies from heaven with butter rum filling
chocolate lulus
lemon drops
Orange sour cream cookies
sugar candy cane cookies

And that's not even starting on the cakes, ganache frosted brownies, brownies with cheesecake filling, green chili, slow roasted roast beef, simple sauteed chicken with cream wine sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, caprese salad, mussels in a lovely spicy wine sauce, grilled lobster, grilled salmon with simple grilled vegetables.... of course each paired with a lovely and appropriate wine, unless a Manhattan, Cosmopolitan, or Margarita is more appropriate. And I make a mean meatloaf and mac n' cheese (of course with six different cheeses). And the spinach artichoke dip, cheese fondue, homemade breads, cranberry coffee cake...

You are definitely matriculating WAAAAAAAAAY too late. :)

And wook, you really ought to live closer. :) We love company for dinner.

Way too late.

Chocolate chip with toasted pecans
Skinny peanut wafers
Pennies from heaven with butter rum filling
chocolate lulus
lemon drops
Orange sour cream cookies
sugar candy cane cookies

And that's not even starting on the cakes, ganache frosted brownies, brownies with cheesecake filling, green chili, slow roasted roast beef, simple sauteed chicken with cream wine sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, caprese salad, mussels in a lovely spicy wine sauce, grilled lobster, grilled salmon with simple grilled vegetables.... of course each paired with a lovely and appropriate wine, unless a Manhattan, Cosmopolitan, or Margarita is more appropriate. And I make a mean meatloaf and mac n' cheese (of course with six different cheeses). And the spinach artichoke dip, cheese fondue, homemade breads, cranberry coffee cake...

You are definitely matriculating WAAAAAAAAAY too late. :)

And wook, you really ought to live closer. :) We love company for dinner.

*Drool* Please please invite me to your next Thanksgiving feast?:D

*Drool* Please please invite me to your next Thanksgiving feast?:D

me too, me too!?
:biglove:
sounds like our class has some big shoes to fill! any chance of our class getting some of those recipes?? :xf: sounds absolutely amazing!!

I will also be at Osteoblast on April 17th. Does anybody know what kind of events they have planned/what the schedule might look like?

Interviewed 3-11... accepted 4-7!! It's my first acceptance too, so I'm very excited!

Also interviewed 03/11 and accepted 04/07. My first acceptance as well !

I'm planning on coming to Osteoblast Sat.. excited to meet at least a few people :)

although I can not ( and will not dare) compete with the afore mentioned menu, I can modestly say that I do make a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies...

:)

Hey everyone! Congrats to accepted students!

Right now is an exciting time at UNECOM! As ShyRem pointed out, Dean Hahn has an incredible track record from TCOM and is already changing/adding a lot to UNECOM. Also, he has appointed a Dean of Academic Affairs, who has experience at another COM too, to focus on our education on campus. A lot of current students have taken the time to provide constructive feedback to improve our education at UNECOM, and thus for incoming students the educational experience you receive should be the best it has ever been. A majority of our faculty are incredible and truly push themselves to deliver the best education they can. Our school has a great reputation for producing incredible clinicians and I can't wait to see our school continue to evolve.

I chose UNECOM, because of the community we have here. It is reflected in every aspect of our school. I have truly enjoyed most of my experiences here. If you have any questions feel free to post them or pm me. Be sure to enjoy yourself before school starts!

Hey guys, I was accepted to UNECOM back in October. I have not heard from UNECOM (REGARDING REGISTRATION STUFF) at all, does anybody over here know anything about how people get registered at UNECOM? Does that take place during the summer?

THANKS!!!!!!

Any tips regarding this issue from current UNECOM students will be really appreciated.

You'll get stuff from them starting in May or June. You will be registered for all classes - nothing is required of you to register. All med students take the same classes.

However, by this time you should have filled out your FAFSA forms. Choose a lender and figure out who will handle your plus loans. You also qualify for MELA Maine Medical loans which may be at a lower interest rate and I believe they defer through residency. Do a search for their website. You'll need to fill out an application for plus loans I think.

More forms than you want to count will be coming your way soon. In the meantime, get your vaccination records together. You'll need titers for some things - contact UNE for specifics so you can arrange doctor's appointments before your school insurance runs out. You'll need a physical as well.

Any other questions regarding when and how forms will be coming your way should be directed to UNE.

Thank you so very much for your info!!! It was very helpful!

Can any current UNECOM student tell me what a typical daily schedule is like? Are you in class 8 hours a day? Is attendance mandatory? Are there any problem-based learning or case based learning opportunities?

Also how do the administration and faculty treat students? Is there a good relationship between them or do they bump heads often?

I'm curious, does anyone know how many elective rotations UNECOM students are allowed in one field? Thanks!

Used to be as many as you wanted. I know folks who used ALL their electives for audition rotations - one student did four solid months of radiology (BTW, they matched to an allo rads program). But that was almost all their elective time.

Anyone have any info on the prospect of waitlist movement this year...just trying to figure out my options...

No one can know the prospects of waitlist movement until it moves. Even then, it depends on how many folks are holding multiple acceptances, waitlist movement of allo schools, waitlist movement of other allo schools, waitlist movement of DO schools, waitlist movement of other DO schools... it's a domino effect. But you don't know how many dominos are in the path.

House for rent:
friendly and quiet part of town. Ample space between houses.

House has paved driveway with room for 4 cars, 2 car garage, big back yard, open basement with bar, wine cellar and laundry facilities (washer, dryer, cabinets), kitchen with dishwasher and fire extinguisher, dining room, 3 bathrooms, living/study room, TV room, front porch, side porch (screened in), 4 bedrooms for a total of 4 occupants. The place is amazing and I have spent the past 3 years grooming it to be a fun and friendly learning atmosphere. I only rent ONLY to med students because I was one of you and I know what you need and I'd rather rent it to you than some random locals. There is wifi internet installed but not included in your rent. The whole house is furnished (except for 2 of the bedrooms). So you'll just need what you want in your room (i.e. desk, TV for your room, dresser your greatgreat grandpa hued from a single oak, etc.). Kitchen has some plates, cups and utensils, but bring any specialty items you need to cook.

School is 5 minutes (3 miles) down the road. Downtown Biddeford is .5 miles away and growing BIG TIME. I am really jealous. After I left the Biddo started to blow up in terms of cool stuff to do in and around town.

Rent is $450 for 3 of the rooms. That includes sewer and water. The Master bedroom is above the garage. It is 24 feet by 24 feet. So, it's huge! Also, it has it's own bathroom with tile shower. Also, it has 2 walk in closets and is fully furnished with bed, dresser, and wardrobe. Rent for the master bedroom is $500.

Bills are cable, oil and electricity. Cable bill depends on what package you want (usually around $10-15 per person). Oil depends on the weather and your temp. preferences but you're looking at about $60/person/month in the winter and like maybe $10/person/month in the summer months. Electricty again depends on usage but generally it's no more than $15/person/month.

Please email me at [email protected] with any inquiries.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon,

Romeo

Hey guys, I am wondering when the registration process starts... and also, does anybody know if there is a list of the books we are going to be using during our first year? Any info from current students is also appreciated.
Thanks!

You are automatically registered later in the summer. you don't do ANYTHING to register.

DO NOT BUY EVERY BOOK THEY TELL YOU TO GET ON THE BOOK LIST. Wait and see what your second years tell you was helpful - in most cases it is NOT on your book list.

Thank you ShyRem, and also do you or does anybody know about the laptop thing,

- if I have a laptop computer already, do I have to buy UNECOM's as well?

- Finally, and regarding to your response above, where do we get that book list?

Thank you!!!

All I can find on UNE's website is they require a laptop. They say nothing about requiring a purchase from them of a specific laptop.

thank you shyrem... I was confused I guess... I was reading at the "Cost of Attendance" for UNECOM and a $2000 laptop fee is included as a direct cost for the first year students...
Last question for now (I promise!) do you know where to find the book list for the first semester...? I am wondering where to find out the books we will be actually using this semester... thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS BEFORE YOU SHOW UP FOR CLASS.

I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY ANY BOOKS BEFORE YOU SHOW UP FOR CLASS.

The book list is total overkill. Wait and see what second years recommend - many of which probably won't even be on the book list.

Meh, I'm just vaguely interested in what they suggest for books. I plan to buy the ones I want anyhow. I have ~28 residents all with their 2 cents too. Although I have to say I really like Thieme's anatomy series provided it covers the required information.

Hey All,
I am a Second year and I agree with Shy Rem re: books. I would though suggest getting a Grays and a Caderveric atlas...(look for used online)...once classes start on the 4th it goes very fast...you don't want to wait for your books to come in the mail....also ask the 2nd years if they have any books for sale.... Just a thought....I can't wait to meet you all at Orientation!

Don't buy a Netter's - clubs often give one out for free if you join during orientation (though personally I liked Rohen's much better). As for a Gray's Dissector, your group can pitch in and y'all can buy just one for the entire table.

Hey guys, I don't want to be annoying... I am just exited about starting med school and I want to take care of a few details since I have free time...

What do you guys think is a reasonable broadband plan to have at home? what do you guys have? any recommendations?

thank you!!!!!!!!

Well, I have kids and a husband addicted to the history channel, so I did the TimeWarner cable, phone, internet package. With everything on cable except premium channels (digital, music, digital on demand, etc), unlimited long distance on phone, our bill is around $150/month.