UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! So, I am just finishing the UNECOM secondary now and this 'list all other schools you're applying to' question really gives me pause. I applied to a whopping 30 programs, mostly MD schools, because my science GPA is not strong at all. I do have a strong MCAT. I am NOT just applying to DO as a backup, the philosphy really appeals to me. I am just scared that they are going to take one look at my app and say "this person wants to be an MD, not a DO" and not even consider me. Why do they insist on asking this question?? I just want to be a doctor... Any thoughts?

And ALSO, I completely forgot that I posted this and didn't read the responses until today. Thanks to those who wrote back! I think it is still worth submitting for the person that had not yet done so... My interview is scheduled for last week in Feb. and I have a book that says they interview until April, so it seems there are still spots for those who submit even later than I. Also in that book were listed a Minimum GPA of 2.75 cumulative and science and an 18M MCAT to be considered for admissions...somebody asked this a long time ago and a response was never posted. The book is TPR Best 168 Medical Schools from 2008. I actually have a couple more secondaries I'm planning on submitting, too. I completed my >20 MD apps by late october and then motivation NOSE DIVED. I forced myself to get it together to submit UNE and PCOM... Obstacle number one with DO apps is that I;m having such a hard time with the classic question: Why do you want to be a DO (Apart from all the reasons already listed in your PS!) I HATE that question. Oh man, this process is SO draining. Anyways, I am psyched about the invite, I really like UNE. I know two doctors who graduated from UNE who are fantastic so I think the training you get here is really good. On the down side, readin over this thread let me know about all the bad press the school has received. Too bad... anyway...just blabbing to myself now. :laugh: later!

Members don't see this ad.

I know exactly what you mean Holyhekshler! I applied to 20+ schools myself..the whole process can be exhausting! But congrats on your interview! I was complete Dec. 23, so maybe I'll be getting an invite soon!!! btw, if u don't mind, what were ur stats?

I know exactly what you mean Holyhekshler! I applied to 20+ schools myself..the whole process can be exhausting! But congrats on your interview! I was complete Dec. 23, so maybe I'll be getting an invite soon!!! btw, if u don't mind, what were ur stats?
pm sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying next cycle, but I have a few questions about UNECOM that I hope you all will know the answers to.

Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?

What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?

As a M1 what type of early patient contact/shadowing do we have, is it as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?

Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!

I'm applying next cycle, but I have a few questions about UNECOM that I hope you all will know the answers to.

Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?

What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?

As a M1 what type of early patient contact/shadowing do we have, is it as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?

Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!

Good luck to you next cycle. Im a current MS1 here in Maine. Our schedule varies depending on the day, but normally you can count on being in class in some form from 8-5 on mondays, 9-5 on tuesdays, 8 to potentially 5:30 on wednesdays, 8-noon (except when you have a clinical preceptorship) on thursdays and 8-5 on fridays. We are in the gross lab normally from 9-12 on Monday and Friday, but sometimes will also go in from 2-5 on Tuesdays. Tuesday mornings we have OPP from 9-12, so that is lab time as well. On Wednesdays (normally) we have histology lab, but they divide the class up so the actual time you are in lab varies dependent upon the week. This schedule is kinda/sorta the norm, but they like to change it around on us to keep us on our toes.

We have block exams, so that is one full week of exams (ie Tuesday through Friday of exams). The frequency of block week depends on how long the block is. 1st block was around 6 weeks, but 3rd block was only 4 weeks long. We are currently in block 4, and that block is 6 or 7 weeks long. At the end of each block we have a block week. I personally like that schedule of exams.

Patient contact via preceptorships is very much a part of our Doctoring class. That is what Thursday afternoons are used for. The schedule rotates, but you will be out and about at least 5 times per year (1st year). You are more than welcome to set up additional ones beyond that. As a 2nd year, I think you spend quite a bit more time out in the office (as would make sense).

Good luck applying next year and I hope this answered your questions!

Does anyone know the approximate time UNE is quoting for letting applicants know whether or not they have received an interview. I was complete 3rd week december.

Thanks

do interview invites come through e-mail, phone, snail mail...?

Does anyone know the approximate time UNE is quoting for letting applicants know whether or not they have received an interview. I was complete 3rd week december.

Thanks

I received an email confirmation that I was complete, and within a week I had an email inviting me to interview. However, it may depend on how you hit the cycle of reviewing applications. (They were "out of the office" for Christmas through Jan 4).

It never hurts to call and politely state your interest and ask when you might hear back.

Hi! I'm likely attending UNECOM this fall. I was hoping a current student could answer my questions.

Are lectures recorded? And if so, what's the format (video of the class or simply audio).

Also, is there a main interface for students (like Blackboard), where we can access all of our class materials, etc.?

Thanks much!

Those that got interviews, mind sharing stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm likely attending UNECOM this fall. I was hoping a current student could answer my questions.

Are lectures recorded? And if so, what's the format (video of the class or simply audio).

Also, is there a main interface for students (like Blackboard), where we can access all of our class materials, etc.?

Thanks much!

I think they said during the tour that the lectures are videotaped. They also have a transcript service where one person takes a lecture and types it up and posts it online.

Used to be lectures were audio tape and if you subscribe to noteservice (for a fee), you would type one or two lectures a semester in exchange for access to mp3s and word files of a word-for-word transcript.

I don't know if this has changed and been updated or not. Also, be advised some professors refused to allow their lectures audio files to be posted.

Used to be lectures were audio tape and if you subscribe to noteservice (for a fee), you would type one or two lectures a semester in exchange for access to mp3s and word files of a word-for-word transcript.

Per my interview in October, this is still accurate.

Out of curiosity, do the applicants who are placed on the "alternate" list actually see any movement before May? I found out today that I was waitlisted and am pretty disappointed with it. I loved the school and thought my interview went great, but needless to say...wait list. So, if anyone knows, do they wait list a lot of people and, I know it obviously varies from one year to the next, but about how much of the actual class is made up of waitlisted candidates? Is a letter of intent a good idea or is that just being redundant?

Out of curiosity, do the applicants who are placed on the "alternate" list actually see any movement before May? I found out today that I was waitlisted and am pretty disappointed with it. I loved the school and thought my interview went great, but needless to say...wait list. So, if anyone knows, do they wait list a lot of people and, I know it obviously varies from one year to the next, but about how much of the actual class is made up of waitlisted candidates? Is a letter of intent a good idea or is that just being redundant?

One of the docs and UNE graduates who wrote me a letter came off the waitlist in July (class of 2000 I think). I don't know if that helps or is encouraging, but I guess it means it moves..

RE: waitlist, this has been asked and answered in previous years' threads. I'd say 1/3 of our class at least came off the waitlist - one guy the second day of classes. Don't know why he was waitlisted, he is freakin' brilliant and the nicest guy.

Hey- Im a current MS1. Lectures are audiotaped and typed, NOT videotaped. You do not have access to the audio or the typed "scribes" unless you pay a small fee of $30 and join note service which requires that you enter a rotation for typing the lectures. This is the current set up and as I understand it each class can decide for themselves how they want to run it- so if you're class wants to nix the typed scribes and just do audio you can vote on it. I wish my class had done that, because I might use the audio but I am completely unwilling to spend 6 hours of my time typing up a lecture, so I could not join the service. On a positive note, I barely go to class and don't have noteservice and I have not yet scored below an 80 on any exam- so it might not be necessary. (depending on how badly I do in the spring.. :p)

I applied and was accepted in October, but was really surprised to find out that almost all of my friends waited to submit their secondarys until the last minute. Most people I've talked to submit in feb or march, and clearly they all got in. I don't know the breakdown as to what percentage, but I'm sure that you have a good chance, so don't let that keep you from applying.

I wish my class had done that, because I might use the audio but I am completely unwilling to spend 6 hours of my time typing up a lecture, so I could not join the service.

Does it really take 6 hours to transcribe a 1.5 hour audio lecture? One of the students I talked to when I interviewed said she paid to have hers done (40$) and I remember thinking I wouldn't mind being paid to study. I usually copy my notes anyway so I'd probably have done this on my own, but not if it takes 6 hours?! Is it more a function of how fast you type?

Also- does the school provide access to uptodate.com? Getting to know some of the students down here at Emory and they seem to live off the site. Especially the 3rd/4th years...

An acquaintance of mine who is now an OMS-1 at UNECOM was accepted off the waitlist. According to her it happened fairly late, June if I remember correctly. She likes it, although being from a warm state the climate is a bit extreme for her.

I was accepted, but have not decided whether or not I will attend. It is a long way to move and tuition is $$$$$.

UNE does not have an uptodate subscription. Hospitals usually have it. Or you can purchase it as a med student (but you likely won't need it until 3rd/4th year) for about $130/yr.

i had an interview on 2/9 and was told that letters would be mailed out on the 22nd..but this past friday got an email providing a link to the UNE COMmunicator - newsletter for accepted/enrolled students, faculty, alumni...does this mean anything or does everyone get this???

i had an interview on 2/9 and was told that letters would be mailed out on the 22nd..but this past friday got an email providing a link to the UNE COMmunicator - newsletter for accepted/enrolled students, faculty, alumni...does this mean anything or does everyone get this???

I received that email as well, for a second thought I got a interview invite until I opened it. Been complete for a few weeks no word so far. Good luck to you.

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I'm driving up today..if you're around pm me and maybe we could meet up? k cool bye!

Didn't complete until mid January...any chance of me getting an interview? How long does it take to hear anything? :)

I was completed on 01/11/2010 and was invited for an interview on 02/19/2010. So yes, there is still hope for u !!!

I read on the UNE website that the Dean wants to expand the class size by almost 100 students over the next five years. One of the things that I liked about UNE was the small class (120 if I remember). Does anyone know if this proposal will influence the class size for those entering in the fall?

NOT the Dean. The Dean is a fine upstanding person.

The PRESIDENT of the entire University wants to expand the med school class size. The PRESIDENT is making the med students graduate with the undergrads and every other student graduating that year from UNE (she has graciously allowed us to keep our hooding ceremony separate).

However, the PRESIDENT has not taken into account the auditorium fits 128 students. That has been the incoming class size ever since they built Alfond (the building the med students use). She has not considered where she's going to put any more students. And when we asked her, she refused to answer that question. Just said "it's GOING TO HAPPEN."

but is it going to start with the class of 2014?

NOT the Dean. The Dean is a fine upstanding person.

The PRESIDENT of the entire University wants to expand the med school class size. The PRESIDENT is making the med students graduate with the undergrads and every other student graduating that year from UNE (she has graciously allowed us to keep our hooding ceremony separate).

However, the PRESIDENT has not taken into account the auditorium fits 128 students. That has been the incoming class size ever since they built Alfond (the building the med students use). She has not considered where she's going to put any more students. And when we asked her, she refused to answer that question. Just said "it's GOING TO HAPPEN."

I don't know. Last I heard the edict heard from on high was "increase the class size by 20 every year starting next year and I don't care where you put them - make it work." So I would assume that means incoming 2010, class of 2014.

I don't know. Last I heard the edict heard from on high was "increase the class size by 20 every year starting next year and I don't care where you put them - make it work." So I would assume that means incoming 2010, class of 2014.

wow, really?
That's unfortunate. I just interviewed and I loved the medical building and especially the lecture hall. The class size also seems to be really good as is. Doubling the class size seems like this is something they would really have to plan to make work... is it for financial reasons? I hope they figure this out without disrupting the good things they have going. It seems like this could be potentially disastrous!

hi everyone... i had a quick question for those who were admitted this year.

i've submitted my $500 deposit, but haven't received any materials yet through the mail as they said we should expect... also, the 60 days for the $1500 deposit is drawing close, no? i haven't gotten any correspondence regarding that either... am i missing something?

any responses are appreciated, thanks!

i'm in the same boat as well. i did receive a letter regarding osteoblast and an email verifying receipt of my $500 deposit. i'm not sure if they are planning on sending anything towards the end of the 60 day window.
congrats on your acceptance! maybe see you at osteoblast? :)

To the last two posters - I received an email about a week before my 1500$ deposit was due. Also don't be deceived, it's 60 days from when the 500$ is cashed, not due. I thought my 1500$ was due 02/15 but it was actually due 02/10.

If you have any questions email them. Problem solved. Lisa is awesome.

i'm in the same boat as well. i did receive a letter regarding osteoblast and an email verifying receipt of my $500 deposit. i'm not sure if they are planning on sending anything towards the end of the 60 day window.
congrats on your acceptance! maybe see you at osteoblast? :)

thanks, congrats to you too! i haven't received anything about osteoblast though... i did get the email confirmation for the first deposit, and it looks like my $1500 isn't due until march 11. it seems more likely that i will be matriculating at UNE (still waiting to hear from my top choice school, but nonetheless would be thrilled to be attending UNE!)

it seems more likely that i will be matriculating at UNE (still waiting to hear from my top choice school, but nonetheless would be thrilled to be attending UNE!)

same here :D

and I got the same email before my $1500 deposit was due. if you have any problems, lisa is very nice and helpful.

Interesting. I suppose that they are going to be willing to fork out the cash to increase the size of Alfond. :laugh:

Wook

Yeah... that would be right on up there with "make Alfond medical students only and move the undergrads out" :laugh:

Just found out over the phone that I was ACCEPTED!!!! First one!!! I'm so happy! yay! hoping it wasn't a fluke!

Just found out over the phone that I was ACCEPTED!!!! First one!!! I'm so happy! yay! hoping it wasn't a fluke!
Congrats! When did you interview at UNECOM? I'm wondering how long it takes them to turn around decisions.

Congrats! When did you interview at UNECOM? I'm wondering how long it takes them to turn around decisions.
I interviewed two weeks ago, they told us interview day that decisions would be made last thursday(they described this as the 'off week'--maybe they interview every 2 weeks?) and letters sent today or tomorrow. i.e. super fast decisions!