University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old lady

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got a letter yesterday from UF advising me not to bother to do the secondary. Does anyone know what proportion of applicants they ask to complete the secondary? I was surprised (and very sad and distressed) to recieve a rejection already. I didn't know they prescreened. Perhaps they have a strict cutoff for grades? My grades are quite a bit lower than their average but my MCAT is two points higher. I may try calling them today. If anyone knows anything about what criteria they use to screen or how many people they screen out, let me know. If I didn't even get past this step at a state school, maybe I would be wasting my time and money applying to my other 14 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

No idea how many people get a secondary. I got the UF Secondary in the mail and filled it out. Don't be discouraged Old Lady. Did you get a University of Miami Secondary yet?

Hey old lady, are you a Florida resident or just in Florida to go to school? If you're not a Florida resident, then I wouldn't worry too much about the rejection. UF takes almost 100% in state students. If you are a resident, then the only explanation would be your GPA. Recently, they appear to have become extremely numbers oriented, especially in the GPA department. Their entering class of 2001 had an average GPA of 3.83, and get this, and average science GPA of 3.9! I'm still having a hard time believing that Science GPA. Even though the MSAR says they don't screen, they obviously do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Florida resident but I have only been here for one year. I wonder if that makes a difference? Thanks for the encouragement.

old lady--

i'm also a florida resident (from Tampa too!!) and i know that UF is the TOUGHEST school to get into in florida.

i think getting into florida schools is tough (although not as bad as california) -- your best bet is U. Miami maybe. USF is also difficult to get into. i don't know much about the new FSU program --- it's been sitting on my desk b/c of the stupid HAND-WRITTEN essay.

personally, i'm not banking on my state schools. i got the same letter from UF... but just went ahead and requested a secondary. it doesn't hurt to apply. plus, i'm sure the secondary fee is pennies compared to other hundred dollar schools.

good luck.

I believe the application fee is $20 for most applicants, and is waived for those to attend UF. Miami is definitely no lock for Florida residents either. A lot of their spaces are reserved for members of their six and seven year BS/MD programs. They are also taking some out staters this year, approximately 20-25 I believe.

For those that are going to request the UF secondary, I thought I'd just post a little description of what it's like. I can't remember the exact wording of the essay, but it was something along the lines of provide a critical analysis of your academic and personal qualifications for practicing medicine. That's not exact, but it was something similar. They give you one page. They also ask you to type or write out all the other schools you are applying to this year or have applied to in the past. I thought that was a bit extreme, but like I really have any pull with the adcom. Anyways, hope it all works out for you guys. Remember, UF is just one school. Granted, it's the best school in Florida, but there are plenty of other good medical schools out there as well. It's disheartening to see that UF is becoming so numbers oriented this year. Maybe it's the special circumstances surrounding this year, but they used to be pretty good about looking past the numbers.

Old lady,chilipina,
Have either of you applied at USF? If so did you get a secondary? If you did, what do you think your chances are on being accepted there?

UF is just one school. Granted, it's the best school in Florida

md2be06 : what makes you so so certain of the above comment. I would partailly disagree. The basic science years at UF are fantastic but clinicals are another thing. I believe UM and USF have an upperhand because of their urban locals. Just think about a population of 50,000 versus several million.

simpleton, that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagreee. Each school in Florida has their strengths and weaknesses. Granted, Gainesville isn't as big as Tampa or Miami, but UF students also do rotations at the Shands branch in Jacksonville, so they also receive some exposure to large population settings. In my opinion, the ultimate measure of any medical school is not the average GPA or MCAT of their entering class, but rather the quality of their match list. If you take a look at UF's match list for the Class of 2001, you'll see matches in some of the most competitive specialties such as Diagnostic Radiology, Optho, ENT, Ortho, Derm, and Neurosurgery, among others. Moreover, UF grads match into programs at place such as UNC(5), Emory (3), Brown (1) Yale (2), Harvard (1) and the Cleveland Clinic (1). I haven't seen UM's or USF's match list, but I think that UF's match list is very solid. If you would like to take a look, here's the link.

http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/osa/match01.html

Holy S$%#,

MD2Be06, I had no idea the UF match lists were so good! Where in Florida are you from and where do you go to college?

Fossa9,
I applied to USF and they sent the secondary within days of my submission to AMCAS. They do not prescreen. As far as my chances there, I thought they were similar to UF since the average grades and MCAT are the same. Their essay asks for a profile of you and your family. I have no idea what they want out of thator why it is relevant. Anyway, I suppose my chances there are low. But who knows.

MiamiMarrot, I had no idea UF's match list was so solid either. I just came across it as I was browsing their website. I'm sure USF and UM have very solid matchlists as well. I guess it's kinda early in the game to be thinking about that stuff, but I was just trying to explain my comment to simpleton. Then again, I may just be a bit biased since I'm currently a gator. Do you go to UM or are you just from Miami? You have any idea what's going on at UM? Have they started interviewing or anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
md2be06, what's up with UF? Have they started interviewing? I had heard that they were trying to be ivy and so they are beefing up their numbers. I don't know how true this is. I sent my secondary today so we will see.
I don't know what the deal is with Miami. They sent me a letter with a postcard I was supposed to send back and I did. But it's been two weeks and I haven't got their secondary yet.
KIM

First, I want to thank md2be06 (and others)for backing up my claim that UF IS hard to get into...I got some flack for that claim on another thread. Second, thanks for pointing out the match rates, because ULTIMATELY that's what it all boils down to!

I don't really know if UF is trying to go "ivy" (maybe they are) but even in undergrad, UF is notoriously hard to get in to. Even the undergrad (ie:high school) gpa's/SAT's are really high. I would have NEVER been accepted to UF as an UNDERGRAD!

As for the clinical years, UF most certainly DOES have a good program. We can go EITHER way...big city (Shands Jacksonville) or rural (Shands Gainesville and other locals). What you need to keep in mind is that Shands Gainesville is NOT rural itself (well, compared to being smack in the middle of a big city it is), considering it has one of only 8 "brain institutes" in the nation, and is a level 1 trauma center for all the surrounding counties. I can assure you that they see some pretty interesting and intense stuff in the ER department (people vs. tractor, people vs. semi, people vs. chainsaws, gunshots, lots of MVA's...I-75 is only a couple miles away, etc!) UF is also one of the top research hospitals in the nation.

I don't know why you didn't get a secondary, but from what you've said, I can only guess that it was gpa related...however, they are also really into voluteerism, leadership skills, etc. Your "below average" gpa might not have been the only factor.

Like the others said, UF is NOT the only school here and we (Florida residents) are lucky that we have 5 schools to choose from. You will definitely want to apply to USF and Miami, and possibly FSU. FSU is extremely competitive for several obvious reasons (that may not SEEM obvious at first): 1. They are actively seeking NORTH Florida residents (or people with STRONG ties to North Florida)...so if you grew up in, and went to school in, say Miami, you're not going to stand much of a chance. 2. They only have 60 spots available this year (last year it was only 30). 3. They REALLY want people that are interested in Primary Care (the MAIN reason the school was chartered last year...to provide PC physicians to NORTH Florida). So basically, if you want to go to FSU, you need to be a North Florida resident, with high stats, interested in primary care!

Good luck with the rest of your apps!
:D

kspillman, as far as I know, UF is not going to start interviewing until the end of this month at the earliest. All the Florida schools seem to be chillin' this year for some reason. UM is kinda slow on the response time. It took them about 3 weeks to send me a secondary after I sent that card back. Don't worry, their secondary application isn't difficult at all. USF is still stuggling to create files for all their applicants. I'm not expecting to hear anything from them in the near future other than a file complete notice as I'm sure they'll be trying to sort through the files of EDP candidates first. I'm guessing part of the delay in Florida is because both UF and USF have new admissions directors this year, and FSU has a new Dean. I'm sure there's always a transition process when individuals in such high positions are replaced. Needless to say, it should be a crammed interview cycle for Florida applicants this year. Cobragirl, I believe FSU is only accepting 40 applicants this year, not 60. I could be wrong though. Regardless, you're absolutely right about their focus on applicants who are from North Florida who plan on practicing primary care in a small, underserved community. BTW, anyone know the stats of FSU's inaugural class?

md2be, you could very well be right about the 40 seats...I was just going by what they told me last year during interview orientation. They told us it would be 30 this year (class of 2005) and then they would increase by 30 each year until they:

1. got the new medical school (actual building) built (supposed to be done in 2004)

2. until they reached a "final" class size of ~120.

I guess construction must be going slow, because I know that current classrooms (portables!) can't hold more than 30-40.

I'll try to find out what the stats for FSU are...I have an undergrad classmate (actually 2) that made it into the inuagural class...

oh yeah, I don't know about the other Florida schools, but UF is actually taking paper applications in light of the AMCAS trouble, and that is why they are running behind. AMCAS's downloading software isn't working on the med-school end either and I was told (by Robyn) that they are having to do a lot of stuff manually. I can vouch for the fact that they ARE moving just as fast as they can, but with several thousand apps to sift through without benefit of downloading (they have to enter the app info manually into UF's database), it's just a nightmare!

Originally posted by md2be06:
•UF is not going to start interviewing until the end of this month at the earliest. All the Florida schools seem to be chillin' this year for some reason. •

md2be06, you asked for some info on the thread Schools requesting interviews about my interview offer from UF today (which I'm still smiling ear-ear about :D and I thought this was a more appropriate thread to reply in.

AMCAS submitted 7/7
received secondary 8/13
sent on 8/20.
Committe letter received 9/17
called for invite today (wow, it's yesterday now)
interview 10/5

I took the MCAT August after soph. yr because I was leaving for Oxford for a semester and I was still considering 7-yr program at USF.

31 (9,11,11) was good enough for the 7yr but I realized I personally wasn't satisfied with 2 1/2 yrs as an undergrad and am now VERY happy with my decision. let me know if you have questions I could answer at this stage.

Congrats USeF! I would be smiling ear to ear also. I wish you the best and be sure to let us know how it goes!
KIM

Hi All,

I was asked to post my info as well, so here it goes:

Submitted AMCAS: 6/26
Processed AMCAS: 8/16

I'd rather not post my stats, for whatever reason I feel like they're personal. But I will reveal that my GPA is around a 3.7 and I have a solid MCAT. I'm SO excited about interviewing. I'll reveal all about the interview to make up for being secretive about my stats.

Congrats USeF, I interviewed with UF last year and was one of the unfortunate majority to be rejected :( . The interview experience was great, though. I was pleased by the relaxed atmosphere. If you have any questions before the 5th, feel free to ask. As are many of you, I am shocked by the stats that UF reported for the 2001 entering class. They are amazing and make me feel better about being rejected ;) ! Hopefully I will get a second shot. Good luck.

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•Congrats USeF, I interviewed with UF last year and was one of the unfortunate majority to be rejected :( . The interview experience was great, though. I was pleased by the relaxed atmosphere. If you have any questions before the 5th, feel free to ask. Good luck.•

Thanx for the good wishes swamp (and the rest of yous that have extended warm words)! Did you ever find out what reasons specifically kept you out? Those type of things would be very worthwhile. I feel like I've been preparing for this interview for a year. As you saw, I took the MCAT last year so I literally have had nothing to do (med app process, at least) for the interim yr except thinking about the PS and interviews. But now that it's finally less than a week, I hesitate to think that it will be that easy..

on a complete side note, USF breezed 28-10 tonight at their first home game as a Div I-A football team! Me and 2 friends went the only way we go to games.. topless! I had the 'U' on my chest, S and F were on the other two. ANybody see us on TV? prolly not.. maybe when I go to games that get more coverage like UF, I'll actually make it on TV ;)

oh yeah, i haven't even decided to go there yet.. or even been accepted.. or even interviewed :p

Originally posted by USeF the Bull:
•Thanx for the good wishes swamp (and the rest of yous that have extended warm words)! Did you ever find out what reasons specifically kept you out? Those type of things would be very worthwhile.•

The interview invitation was a complete surprise. Nobody was showing me any luvin', and Robyn called on Valentine's Day. Sweet, eh?! I was surprised because I had not been invited to interview at other Florida schools, and UF is, in my book and the books of many other, the best school in the state (Don't take offense to this...I'm a little biased!). Surprisingly, UF was the only school of all the schools to which I applied that granted me an interview!

My stats, with the exception of my BS MCAT section, were all lower than UFs reported averages. They really went out on a limb inviting me to interview. As you may have read in another post, I had a 7 VR score!!!

To answer your question, I was not as professional with the student interviewer as I ought to have been. It was difficult to avoid viewing him as a fellow student.

After being rejected, I set up a meeting with Robyn, and she told me that I needed to boost my MCAT scores (I took the August exam, so hopefully I did). She also gave me some pointers, such as how to allocate time during my year off.

You'll be lucky if you get Dr. Hill. He was great! I've heard others are ball-busters, though. Some ask ethical questions, but neither of my interviewers did. Basically, they wanted to chat.

Any other specific questions you have, I'll try to answer (with less words than I have here ;) ).

I too am a Florida resident, and will be applying to FL state schools for the entering class of 2003 (hopefully, if my schedule goes as planned.) Thanks so much for the info on FSU--as Family Practice is my primary interest right now, perhaps that might be a good choice? I'd never realized that they preferred that before.

I got my B.A. at USF (English)before going to UCF in Orlando for my M.A. (English.) I like Tampa but felt wary about applying to USF because of my undergrad experience--while I loved my professors and learned a lot, I have NEVER encountered such a horribly disorganized school--especially the financial aid department, which is the WORST I have ever experienced or heard about. My school now--which, too bad, has no med school--is unbelievably organized in comparison. Does anyone know if the USF med school, particularly the financial aid, is the same department as the school overall? Are they any better?

I love hearing about you Florida residents--please keep us updated, and the best of luck to all of you. Just remember, it's the SCHOOL who will be lucky to get somebody of your dedication and talents.

Also, I keep reading about people who apply to 15-20 schools. How the heck is that even possible, since state schools only take--usually--state residents? Doesn't that limit you to just state schools? The only other option would be private schools, which are too expensive. And does Florida really have 5 state school options? I thought there were just four--USF, FSU, UF, And Miami. Is there another?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Originally posted by Rhys:
And does Florida really have 5 state school options? I thought there were just four--USF, FSU, UF, And Miami. Is there another?

The fifth school which CobraGirl alluded to is NOVA.

Oh, okay. Thanks! I was aware of them but since they're private and so darn expensive, I don't think of them as a 'state' school. Thanks for replying.

UF interviews have begun! We got to check out the first set of recruits on Friday! :D

PS- For those of you considering USF, you might want to look very carefully into it. I have "inside" info that they have made some significant program changes this year that are making 1st-year-student life hell right now....they are also on a 8am-5pm, 5-day-a-week schedule, which doesn't seem to allow for much studying. I'm not knocking the school, but it is definitely something you guys might want to be aware of in case you're blessed with multiple acceptances.

Hey, Cobragirl! How many people is UF interviewing, may I ask, and for how many spots?

Thanks. :)

Originally posted by MiamiMarrot:
How many people is UF interviewing, may I ask, and for how many spots?

I'm not Cobragirl, but UF is interviewing 300 for 96 spots. Anyone know when Miami and USF start interviewing?

USF has interviewed and replied to at least a handful of Early Decision applicants with real fast turnaround (one was called the next night with an acceptance). I'd assume all of them have been interviewed by now, but that's speculation.

Checked my mailbox today, expecting the interview package from U Chicago, but instead received a thin envelope from U Florida and one from Georgetown. Expecting the worst, I slowly pulled the flap open.

UF: "Following your interview at the University of Florida, the Medical Selection Committee met and discussed your application (hold breath). Although the committee was favorably impressed by many aspects of your application,it was decided to place your application on hold so that it could be compared with other applicants who interview later. Last year, about half of the applicants placed on hold were ultimately either placed on the alternate list or accepted, and we anticipate the same for this year. Some decisions will be made as applicants on hold are periodically reviewed, but most.. after interviews (April 2002)."

Georgetown: "Congratulations!.."

a hold and an interview invite. I'm thrilled!
Maybe while I'm in DC I'll stop by the AAMC and give you guys an inside on just what's going on there ;)

Congrats! And please, if you do drop by AAMC, give my regards to Nancy Tillinghast. ;)

Ahh! I am waiting for the mail to come, to see if my fate has been decided at UF. I'll post an update later.

Congrats USeF! I am still waiting for interviews, but no worries. I wish you the best at GW. Aren't you excited about going to DC?
KIM

I just received an invite for USF. For those of you who may have already interviewed there, do you have any advice? I'm afraid that I'll freak out and my mind will go blank! Any info on UF interviews would be helpful too. Thanks guys :)

If you don't mind GatorPremed, could you state how they notified you? Was it via snail mail, e-mail, or phone call? Also do you know when your file was complete? Thanks.

I sent all the secondary materials to them, including the two personal letters they require, around Oct. 8. They admissions guy called my house and I just about peed in my pants. (I've tried to keep myself pessimistic about the whole acceptance thing)

Damn it,

I was put on hold at UF as well. I thought I did really well at the interview!!! Good luck to all other UF hopefuls.

Originally posted by MiamiMarmot:
•Damn it,

I was put on hold at UF as well. I thought I did really well at the interview!!! Good luck to all other UF hopefuls.•

Hop on, Miami, cause we're in the same boat.

Hey Cobragirl, our astute inside resource of UF COM info.. how did you and your classmates get off hold? Do you have to send addt'l info or does it only help? How would a page of describing the reasons why I'd really like to go to UF, along with why I liked them better than other schools I interviewed (will interview) at do?

kspill: thanx! yes, I am truly elated about going to the nation's capital. I love big cities and I will be getting a double dosage, with Chicago this week and Washington DC next month. may interviews rush to your mailbox as well. :)

Being put "on hold" makes me feel like I am in a state of purgatory. Sorry, I had to vent.

USeF and MiamiMarrot, don't worry about the hold status. UF is notorious for not taking too many people very early on. The majority of their matriculating class isn't accepted until the spring semester. I think out of every group of 20 or so that interviews, 2 or 3 get in right away, the rest are waitlisted. You guys are still in the game.

I got my first interview and its at UF on Nov 9th. I am excited and nervous. Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
KIM

First of all let me say good luck to everyone applying this year. I just wanted to comment on some things that I read. I am a first year student at USF. Yes Cobragirl is correct that changes were made in the curriculum. Yes it has been challenging, but also rewarding. The main changes first involved the incorporation of a new class before the "real" classes started. This three week introductory class was called the profession of medicine. The class involved the discussion of ethics, professionalism, evidence based medicine, state of the art presentations on clinical aspects of medicine, and (my personal favorite) an intro to physical diagnosis. We learned how to conduct basic chest, lung, and abdomen exams during these three weeks. This was on actual patients, but of course they were paid. The three week course was fun but to be honest it took away much time from our other courses causing lots of cramming. The first two blocks did involve mainly four days of 8-5. However, now that is all over and it is back to three days of 8-5. Let me assure you that the mistakes made in our class will be fixed for next year.

Unfortunately we were the guinea pigs and mistakes always happen when new things are tried out. It will be better for next year?s class. They will make the POM class shorter and more concise. This will create more time for Gross and lesser class time. Another incorporation to the curriculum was the LCE class. During this class we meet with physicians in the community once a week. During these visits we gradually move forward in our tasks we are allowed perform on patients. This continues into the spring till May. You will get one specialist, primary care doc, and a doc of your choice during the first two years.

Interviews started back in the end of September. I know they were behind due to the mess with AMCAS. USF's match lists are competitive as well. I never have compared it to UF's list, but it does have matches as well into Diagnostic Radiology, Optho, ENT, Ortho, Derm, and Neurosurgery.

In my opinion, USF's greatest strength is its clinical program. Numerous hospitals and clinics throughout the Tampa Bay area are utilized ranging from Tampa General Hospital (downtown tampa), All children?s hosp, Shiners Children?s Hosp, Bayfront Medical Center, USF med clinics, USF Veterans Hosp, USF eye clinic, Moffit Cancer Center, and other facilities. With all these numerous institutions one will be exposed to many different cases involving different cultures. It will be the third and fourth year that gets you into the residency of your choice. I know for a fact that USF's clinical program is recognized nationally as a program that prepares its student well for the life as a resident. Now I am not trying to say USF is better than UF, UM, or FSU. In my opinion each school has their own strengths and weaknesses. Choose which school you feel will make you the most comfortable academically and environmentally. I just wanted to clear up any confusion anyone might have had concerning our new curriculum. Let me know if you have any questions?