University of Hawaii anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
after the secondary they send you a science prereq list to fill out. then they will notify you if you get an interview. they ask for the LOR at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I just got another email from the admissions officer... My science classes meet the requirements, and this is what she wrote:

"Your application will proceed in the admissions process, i.e., interviews and letters of recommendation."

:clap:YAY!! I am so excited!! U of H is my first choice!! I can't believe that I made it to this point!! Whoo Hooo!!!!

congrats lessismoe! that is great news :) keep us posted on what happens. and i will hope that i get a good email like that soon too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email today!! I am so stoked! It pretty much said that I have to take 1 class at community colllege and if I agree to do that this spring my application will "proceed in the admissions process..." How long does it take until they notify us about the interviews?

Hey azpremed and lessismoe,
When did you submit your UH app?

The essays arrived in my mailbox August 11 with a due date of August 15 :eek: Good thing I had practically written it in my head already.

The science prereq form came and was due somewhere around September 15. I sent it off the day after I got it.

It seems like they are really moving quickly, doesn't it?

Originally posted by lessismoe
The essays arrived in my mailbox August 11 with a due date of August 15 :eek: Good thing I had practically written it in my head already.

The science prereq form came and was due somewhere around September 15. I sent it off the day after I got it.

It seems like they are really moving quickly, doesn't it?

It does seem like they are moving really fast. My AMCAS was transmitted in late July. I got the essay around the same time lessismoe did, in mid-August with only 3 days to get them back. I overnighted them out the next day. The science prereq form came fairly quickly after I returned the essays and was due in early September. I sent that back quickly and heard back yesterday with the email.

So, if UH doesn't have rolling admissions, do you guys think there is/isn't any advantage to interviewing early/late?

Originally posted by lessismoe
So, if UH doesn't have rolling admissions, do you guys think there is/isn't any advantage to interviewing early/late?

That's a good question. I really don't know. I could see some advantages either way. If you interview early you show them you are enthusiastic about the school. If you interview late they might remember you better when making final decisions. Probably in the end it really doesn't matter very much.

I agree, I don't think it matters much. I got my interview invite a couple of weeks ago and I'm not planning on doing it until I go home for winter break in December. In fact, I already scheduled one of the three for Dec 16th. Also, my brother interviewed around the same time and he got in. He's a third year there now.

OMG....this is strange...I need input on this....I got an interview invite...out of stater....and they don't even have my letters of rec yet! Has anyone else fallen into this boat as well? I hope that this is an indication that they are SERIOUSLY considering me, haha.

Regardless, I'm going to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats askew01! they ask for your letters of rec once you get the invitation to interview. so they should have sent you a form where you need to list the letters you plan on sending. i think mine was due about a week after i got it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all--

It's good to see this thread back at top again :) I got my interview invite about a week ago which was pretty cool. So does anyone know if we seriously have much chance as out-of-staters? A trip to Hawaii would be nice, though I cannot go probably until Jan or Feb.

Hey all, I interviewed last year at UH. I had average grades, mcats and am from michigan with no connection whatsoever to Hawaii, so I was shocked to hear they wanted to interview me. The interview, if I recall right, was in March. You have three interviews (one student and one faculty), the final one being with the dean. At that interview, he goes over how you got to be there and where your application goes to next. He explains that the odds of acceptance, if you are an in state applicant and get interviewed, are pretty good. For out of staters, I think I recall the figure of 8-9 spots for 65 out of state interviewed applicants. For the interviews, know why you want to attend Hawaii and know about the PBL system. They also have this unique interview method of putting you in hypothetical ethical situations and finding out how you would respond. It was a fun time going out there, the school gives you a list of hotels that offer exceptional rates for interviewees. I ended up getting rejected, but there decision date was sooo late that it was the last school I heard from and was not that upset because I already enrolled at a different school. Also, you will definitely need a car because they can have you interviewing all over oahu ( they are not on campus) and you don't need the stress of finding a bus before your appointment. Lastly, when you are there do not be shocked to see all the attendings and residents wearing aloha shirts when on duty in the hospital ( only the "haole" interviewees wear suits to the interview as well).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone that recieves a seocndary gets an interview invite. That's what it seems like from the brochure that they sent me...
Input requested..

At a meeting this past month the Dean gave a presentation. I think there are 62 spots this year, 5 of which are for out of staters. So from what i understand the numbers have decreased. Also, im not sure if its new or not, but they are bigger than ever on PBL or Problem Based Learning, and they are apparently one of the few schools running that curriculum right now. Just wanted to share. :)

Thanks for the info, kg9921.
I'll be sure to brush up on it, haha.

Hi friends!

I just got back from my interviews in Hawaii. Wow, there are some nice people there!

I ended up getting a travel package deal from Travelocity.com-- it was $950 for both myself and my fiance. Hopefully these deals will be around for the rest of you folks.

If anyone has questions about it, ask away. :)

Originally posted by askew01
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone that recieves a seocndary gets an interview invite. That's what it seems like from the brochure that they sent me...
Input requested..

my pre-med counselor's guide book says that you are certain to interview with UH if you get and return a secondary. anybody know if this is correct? has anybody returned a secondary and been rejected without an interview?

fyi... i just received a secondary from them. i have no direct ties to the state but i am a Chamorro who was born and raised on Saipan, which is probably just as good as being a Hawai'i resident. ;)

When you guys called to schedule your interview did they already have a date/time selected for you or was it up to you as to when you wanted to interview?

Additionally, do you guys know if there is any added benefit to going back earlier (before winter break) to interview or should I just wait until december/january?

Thanks!

Anyone have any nterview feedback of late? The posted ones on the "interview feedback" section are old....what kind of questions did hey ask?

Hey, sorry for missing your post originally Miabella.

You have to schedule the interviews with your interviewers on your own and individually. I emailed my interviewers ASAP and found out which one had the more flexible schedule, then I called the other interviewer to work out a time.

I heard that there is no advantage to interviewing early/late since it is not a rolling admissions process.

Hope everyone is doing well on other apps! I'm stressed out about the process because I haven't heard back from any other schools yet. My aunt just told me that she has an apartment I can rent from her that is 1 block away from UH campus!! Aaack! Now what if I can't get in!?