University of Illinois-CVM - Application C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was 280 at McKinley per vaccine, so 840 total for the three vaccines. So literally almost anywhere else over the school.
The school is actually cheaper than Walgreens in my area. I think it was 300-350 per vaccine. I haven’t looked into the county health dept, but so far school is cheaper than what I’ve found

Members don't see this ad.

The school is actually cheaper than Walgreens in my area. I think it was 300-350 per vaccine. I haven’t looked into the county health dept, but so far school is cheaper than what I’ve found

Ok let me know if you find something cheaper. I'm still calling different places too.

Thanks I just called them. I'm still in Chicago so the alternative over here would be $400 per dose. I'll keep looking but so far McKinley is cheapest.

Holy expensive af, Batman.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else slightly annoyed that our info packet we were supposed to get late May is still not here
I still haven't gotten mine either and I'm annoyed because I don't exactly know everything I'm supposed to do!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know if someone asked this already but do you guys know if it is worth getting a membership for SAVMA? I read some of the "benefits of membership" online but I'm not completely sold. Did anyone actually get scholarships or low interest rate loans through being a member?

Don't know if someone asked this already but do you guys know if it is worth getting a membership for SAVMA? I read some of the "benefits of membership" online but I'm not completely sold. Did anyone actually get scholarships or low interest rate loans through being a member?

There are scholarships available and granted every year to SAVMA members exclusively. It's a listed requirement and they toss your application out if you don't meet that. I can't remember what those scholarships are worth off the top of my head, but every cent helps. I also loved going to TAMU's SAVMA symposium and will be going to UGA's this year (with Disney World plans to follow).

I paid for it with the 4 year membership cause it's actually pretty cheap at that point. It's less than $50/year if you think about it. With that in mind, I figured it was worth it as long as you use the stuff you get (journal subscriptions, etc).

It also can't hurt to have it, with the exception of the cost. If you'd use that money for anything else, then it might not be worth it. But if you'll use it for journals and stuff like that, you'll get more bang for your buck through SAVMA.

There are scholarships available and granted every year to SAVMA members exclusively. It's a listed requirement and they toss your application out if you don't meet that. I can't remember what those scholarships are worth off the top of my head, but every cent helps. I also loved going to TAMU's SAVMA symposium and will be going to UGA's this year (with Disney World plans to follow).

I paid for it with the 4 year membership cause it's actually pretty cheap at that point. It's less than $50/year if you think about it. With that in mind, I figured it was worth it as long as you use the stuff you get (journal subscriptions, etc).

It also can't hurt to have it, with the exception of the cost. If you'd use that money for anything else, then it might not be worth it. But if you'll use it for journals and stuff like that, you'll get more bang for your buck through SAVMA.

Okay thanks! I do like that I can order everything from them. Makes things easier on me.

I still haven't gotten mine either and I'm annoyed because I don't exactly know everything I'm supposed to do!
So they emailed me back and asked if I got my letter to set up my net ID because that’s all that’s been sent out so far (which in my email to them I had said I got that.......:lame:)
So who tf knows when this “late May” letter is coming with more info...

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks! I do like that I can order everything from them. Makes things easier on me.
I joined. I don't know that I've used the 'benefits' of membership all that much. The only benefit I've used is the Hill's feeding program (supposedly you have to be an ISCAVMA member to take part). The discount on the food has more than paid for my ISCAVMA 4-year membership. You also get your a free AVMA membership for your first two post-grad years.

The low interest rate loans they mention don't actually exist anymore. I'm not even sure if those loans were intended for tuition vs. personal unexpected costs but irrelevant now.

AVMA gives out very few scholarships considering the number of student members they have, and most are highly specific to certain situations (international veterinary-related travel costs, government-related conferences/travels, etc.). Most are actually grants, not 'scholarships.' The money goes to your cause/project. Their actual in-your-pocket scholarships are here: Student Scholarships - American Veterinary Medical Foundation The biggest one is for New Jersey residents only. The 1 winner per school ones are decent odds considering most people really don't bother applying for anything that requires an essay. At the same time, if you're not one of those people who 'gets scholarships,' you're unlikely to get these (or at least that's what I can tell you for Illinois applicants). They're just all very specific criteria, and if not, they typically go to food animal people regardless of what they say they're looking for.

TL;DR: Chances of a scholarship are super slim, but if you're the right applicant, you may get one. I'm kind of over the whole scholarship chase lol. Unfortunately, wildlife/zoo people are horribly overlooked in terms of scholarships.

I joined. I don't know that I've used the 'benefits' of membership all that much. The only benefit I've used is the Hill's feeding program (supposedly you have to be an ISCAVMA member to take part). The discount on the food has more than paid for my ISCAVMA 4-year membership. You also get your a free AVMA membership for your first two post-grad years.

The low interest rate loans they mention don't actually exist anymore. I'm not even sure if those loans were intended for tuition vs. personal unexpected costs but irrelevant now.

AVMA gives out very few scholarships considering the number of student members they have, and most are highly specific to certain situations (international veterinary-related travel costs, government-related conferences/travels, etc.). Most are actually grants, not 'scholarships.' The money goes to your cause/project. Their actual in-your-pocket scholarships are here: Student Scholarships - American Veterinary Medical Foundation The biggest one is for New Jersey residents only. The 1 winner per school ones are decent odds considering most people really don't bother applying for anything that requires an essay. At the same time, if you're not one of those people who 'gets scholarships,' you're unlikely to get these (or at least that's what I can tell you for Illinois applicants). They're just all very specific criteria, and if not, they typically go to food animal people regardless of what they say they're looking for.

TL;DR: Chances of a scholarship are super slim, but if you're the right applicant, you may get one. I'm kind of over the whole scholarship chase lol. Unfortunately, wildlife/zoo people are horribly overlooked in terms of scholarships.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to join just for a year to get a feel for it. Its not too much money but I would like to save as much as possible since I'll probably be in debt for a very long time.

Hey guys!! Starting to fill out my accepted student info (they finally posted everything!!). I am finding the websites not that easy to follow, the organization seems a bit...awkward. Is anyone else having trouble figuring out what we need to sign up for classes? Obviously we have core classes but there does not seem to be a way to figure out which one those are or how to go about making sure we have all the correct classes. They have a 'general' curriculum posted on the website but was not sure how accurate this is.

Hey guys!! Starting to fill out my accepted student info (they finally posted everything!!). I am finding the websites not that easy to follow, the organization seems a bit...awkward. Is anyone else having trouble figuring out what we need to sign up for classes? Obviously we have core classes but there does not seem to be a way to figure out which one those are or how to go about making sure we have all the correct classes. They have a 'general' curriculum posted on the website but was not sure how accurate this is.

You should be signing up with CRNs for 602 lecture, 602 lab, and 601. Then you'd also be using whatever CRNs for electives if you've decided to take electives first quarter.

You should be signing up with CRNs for 602 lecture, 602 lab, and 601. Then you'd also be using whatever CRNs for electives if you've decided to take electives first quarter.

Thank you!!

Do you have any suggestions/advice as far as it comes to doing electives first year? I am looking at the available courses and there does not seem to be many open to 'first years'. Every elective I am interested in requires 2nd or 3rd year status.

I took electives first year. Most are easy passes and very interesting. First quarter is just the three (zoo med, contemporary issues, and research), but third and fourth quarter will have more options as well (some equine, some production med, some exotics).

I took electives first year. Most are easy passes and very interesting. First quarter is just the three (zoo med, contemporary issues, and research), but third and fourth quarter will have more options as well (some equine, some production med, some exotics).
I think they took contemporary issues off for this semester *insert upside down smiley*
It was listed on the accepted students site as an option and now it isn’t and the crn doesn’t work and it’s not even listed when you go to register. Yaaaayyyyy
So basically it’s zoomed or research

Do you have any suggestions/advice as far as it comes to doing electives first year? I am looking at the available courses and there does not seem to be many open to 'first years'. Every elective I am interested in requires 2nd or 3rd year status.
If you go to the intranet and click on any class page (other than yours, because yours isn't done yet), open the 'first year fall schedule' document. breaks down available electives to first years as well as the CRNs so it saves you a ton of time. Disclaimer: idk if you guys have different electives but historically nothing changes from year to year

Hey guys, so I'm trying to fill out the new student survey where I have to provide a blue coat size and I am a little confused on the sizing. I think I am a women's S which is 6-8 according to the sizing chart. The sizing on the survey starts at 32. Do I just have to convert to men's sizes?

Hey guys, so I'm trying to fill out the new student survey where I have to provide a blue coat size and I am a little confused on the sizing. I think I am a women's S which is 6-8 according to the sizing chart. The sizing on the survey starts at 32. Do I just have to convert to men's sizes?
So I literally just tried contacting the lab coat company customer support via the chat on there and they took 20 minutes and were absolutely unhelpful on what size I should get (claimed they were contacting the manufacturer to get input on what size I should get???????) so I searched the coat name and found it on allheart and gave them my measurements in their chat and they recommended a numbered size for that coat for me.

Last edited:
You also have some time to decide. I'm not sure how @SportPonies or @pinkpuppy9 feel about it or if either one cam give an opposing opinion on it so you can get some balance.
Why did I not see this til now?

You probably posted this the day everyone was lynching me in WW so it got lost in all my tags.

I'm neutral about SAVMA. I've never personally used it for anything but I think you're required to be a member for 4th year? I got the four year subscription though, just to make sure I had it if I needed it

This sums up UIUC CVM's website to a T

Zoomed is super easy and interesting, so I strongly recommend, even if you're not an exotics person. It's definitely the most low maintenance elective I've taken so far (and I've done.... 5?) If you're worried about managing your time, this is one of the best electives to take because there's no outside work.

Reptile med (offered for 1st and 2nd years during fourth quarter) is a close second, but I found it far more boring than zoomed (Sorry Allender)

You probably posted this the day everyone was lynching me in WW so it got lost in all my tags.

I'm neutral about SAVMA. I've never personally used it for anything but I think you're required to be a member for 4th year? I got the four year subscription though, just to make sure I had it if I needed it
I don't think SAVMA is ever a requirement. If it is, I have never heard anything about that

I don't think SAVMA is ever a requirement. If it is, I have never heard anything about that
I think the savma president said on the 2022 page that it’s not a requirement ever.
I personally am joining for all 4 years because of the benefits from it and the ability to go to the symposium if I choose, but *shrugs*

She did clear up a mis-statement. SAVMA is not required at any point.

So I literally just tried contacting the lab coat company customer support via the chat on there and they took 20 minutes and were absolutely unhelpful on what size I should get (claimed they were contacting the manufacturer to get input on what size I should get???????) so I searched the coat name and found it on allheart and gave them my measurements in their chat and they recommended a numbered size for that coat for me.

Ok so then did they give you a men's size?

Ok so then did they give you a men's size?
I have no idea if it’s a men’s size or a bust size. My hips were between sizes (a smidge larger than the hip dimensions that matched with my bust and waist sizes but not actually into the next size) and so I don’t know if they told me to go with the size up (size they gave me matches that bust size) or the size that fit my waist and bust (size they gave me matches that mens size).

If I were you I’d contact allheart’s customer support in the chat on that page and have them tell you which size you should order.

Hey, is anyone still waiting to hear from financial aid? I still haven't been notified and am not sure whether to call and check or wait it out a bit if they just haven't gotten everyone's processed yet.

Hey, is anyone still waiting to hear from financial aid? I still haven't been notified and am not sure whether to call and check or wait it out a bit if they just haven't gotten everyone's processed yet.

I don't see a problem with calling financial aid. They had my social wrong, so it took forever to get mine

Two questions for everyone!

1. What is the best company to get cable/internet through?

2. The parking situation at vet med....how does it all work? Should I call and try to get on a wait list? When I try to do the parking stuff online nothing works, says I'm not valid.

3. Where is or classes link to our website? The letter I got when I type it in, it doesn't work at all! :(

Two questions for everyone!

2. The parking situation at vet med....how does it all work? Should I call and try to get on a wait list? When I try to do the parking stuff online nothing works, says I'm not valid.

3. Where is or classes link to our website? The letter I got when I type it in, it doesn't work at all! :(
I only have an answer for 2:

The main lot, F27, is pretty much upper classmen exclusive just because there are no spots. But yes, call parking and get on the wait list for it. Some first years get in there during first year. You'll probably have to park on the street or in F26 for at least the beginning of the year though

So I finally got my financial award letter and for the loan they give me an interest percentage. Does anyone know if that percentage is APR?

Edit: I was told it is APR. Really wish they offered subsidized loans :(

Last edited:
So I finally got my financial award letter and for the loan they give me an interest percentage. Does anyone know if that percentage is APR?
Were you emailed/snail mailed about your financial aid letter or have you just been checking the site we register for classes on (can’t for the life of me think of what it’s called)
I’m still waiting on mine too but apparently the school didn’t have my ssn on file :lame:

Were you emailed/snail mailed about your financial aid letter or have you just been checking the site we register for classes on (can’t for the life of me think of what it’s called)
I’m still waiting on mine too but apparently the school didn’t have my ssn on file :lame:

They send you an email but you can also access it through your my Illinois account under finances.

I'm worthless here, but I have heard that comcast sucks out here.

2. The parking situation at vet med....how does it all work? Should I call and try to get on a wait list? When I try to do the parking stuff online nothing works, says I'm not valid

Call in with your NetID and your UIN ready to go. Tell them you're looking for parking F30, F26, or F27 by the basic science building for vet med. They'll tell you F27 has a wait list, which you can request to be on (or not) I have several 2020 friends who didn't bother. They'll put you in 26 or 30. There's also parking on Hazelwood, but I don't remember the lot number and it might be full from 2019.

3. Where is or classes link to our website? The letter I got when I type it in, it doesn't work at all!

If you Google uiuc intranet, the uiuc cvm intranet should be the very first link. You click there. Then you find the class of 2022 link off in the middle. You sign in with you NetID and whatever your password is. The only thing on your website right now is the class schedule with the CRNs and stuff. 602 and 601 aren't up yet and probs wont be till August at the earliest.

can’t for the life of me think of what it’s called

Enterprise (also accessible by the intranet page; just bookmark the intranet page, honestly)

HELLO FRANDS
so
Quick question, we’re not required to have the green pella vet coveralls, correct? I didn’t get them through savma because I’m hoping to find some other ones that are longer inseam, but if I can’t find any I’ll just order the shorter ones direct from pella vet, but I wanted to double check and make sure that it wasn’t actually a requirement to have the specific ones. I know some schools are picky about things like that and like scrub colors, so I’m double checking so I don’t show up with like purple ones or something and get told no

HELLO FRANDS
so
Quick question, we’re not required to have the green pella vet coveralls, correct? I didn’t get them through savma because I’m hoping to find some other ones that are longer inseam, but if I can’t find any I’ll just order the shorter ones direct from pella vet, but I wanted to double check and make sure that it wasn’t actually a requirement to have the specific ones. I know some schools are picky about things like that and like scrub colors, so I’m double checking so I don’t show up with like purple ones or something and get told no

@pinkpuppy9 fourth year wisdom?

@pinkpuppy9 fourth year wisdom?
Sorry for the delayed response, my current externship is killing me :arghh:

@SkiOtter They are not specifically required! Off the top of my head, I remember long sleeved pairs, brown pairs, and dark blue. One of my classmates actually wore functional 'fashion' coveralls (they looked like denim with cute patches or something like that?) and had no issue. I think she said she or her sister actually made them :laugh:

Sorry for the delayed response, my current externship is killing me :arghh:

@SkiOtter They are not specifically required! Off the top of my head, I remember long sleeved pairs, brown pairs, and dark blue. One of my classmates actually wore functional 'fashion' coveralls (they looked like denim with cute patches or something like that?) and had no issue. I think she said she or her sister actually made them :laugh:
Thank youuuuuu!!! The green ones just list such a short inseam and it worries me. :dead:
And delayed responses are okay! I figured I’d hear back eventually but that you were just currently dying from rotations and stuff :laugh:

Thank youuuuuu!!! The green ones just list such a short inseam and it worries me. :dead:
And delayed responses are okay! I figured I’d hear back eventually but that you were just currently dying from rotations and stuff :laugh:
I'm usually fine with average inseam lengths and the pella coveralls ended up short on me! They also shrink so that didn't help. It's not a huge deal since you're tucked into boots anyways, but it's annoying if your pants don't stay down in the boots and your ankles end up rubbing the rubber boot a bit. In the grand scheme of the four years of vet school, you will spend very little time in your coveralls (unless you are a LA person) so don't feel the need to get anything expensive! Amazon had a really thin/crappy pair for $10 when I was a first year

I'm usually fine with average inseam lengths and the pella coveralls ended up short on me! They also shrink so that didn't help. It's not a huge deal since you're tucked into boots anyways, but it's annoying if your pants don't stay down in the boots and your ankles end up rubbing the rubber boot a bit. In the grand scheme of the four years of vet school, you will spend very little time in your coveralls (unless you are a LA person) so don't feel the need to get anything expensive! Amazon had a really thin/crappy pair for $10 when I was a first year
Oh man, yeah they’d be really short on me then. I always have to get long or extra long length pants :laugh:
And that’s good to know! Thank you!!!

So I got the email today stating that rabies vaccination paperwork has to be sent to ASA before classes begin. The problem is that my insurance doesn’t cover the shots and the cheapest I’ve found from calling around back in March was at McKinley, but they don’t start administering the shots until August 1st. I called ASA and spoke with Kari who told me that the information on the Admitted Student Page about having rabies shot paperwork in by October was outdated and not applicable anymore. Pretty much, she said that rotation scheduling varies for students, so shot records have to be with them before classes begin. Since I am financially independent and from a low income family, my plan was to have the shots billed to my student account by McKinley, but again this was with the understanding that the information on the admitted student page was accurate concerning the October 22, 2018 deadline of having the rabies series completed. I’m stuck here and worried if I’m scheduled for rotations to start the quarter, I won’t be able to participate. Does anyone have experience or know someone who had a similar situation, and some advice that can be offered?
Thanks guys

Okay that’s absolutely ridiculous that you aren’t allowed to get the vaccines at the school because they changed the policy AND TOLD NOBODY because I’m positive you aren’t the only one who was planning on getting them at the school.

When do you move down there? Are you able to start the series ON August 1st? You should be done by the deadline if you were able to (day 0,7,21 or 28 and if you do 21 days then you’d be done the 22nd I believe)

I almost waited until I got to school to start them because it was going to be less than Walgreens but my mom told me to just start them now (so I got my first shot last week and second yesterday) but then somehow my insurance actually covered mine which was a complete shock because usually I have to meet my high deductible for them to start paying for anything.

Or alternatively, could you get yourself bit by a raccoon or bat and get the post exposure vaccines because most insurances will cover that series :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users