University of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the University of Iowa? If so could you please tell me a little bit about the process. MCAT scores, G.P.A.'s, etc.

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know too, particularly for out-of-staters.
Grazi!

------------------
Kimberly R.
Class of 2004, I hope!
"Every individual matters.
Every individual has a role to play.
Every individual makes a difference."
-Jane Goodall

[This message has been edited by KimR (edited October 18, 1999).]

Kimberly R:

I am sophomore here at the Univeristy of Iowa, and from what my academic advisor has been telling me that it is getting harder to get in here. They are reduced the spots from 175 last year, to 157 this year and within a few years, they want to get it down to 140. The average G.P.A. is around 3.72, but that is the average. I was hoping that maybe someone had applied and got accepted, so I could go off their numbers. Of the 157 this year around 125 were from Iowa. I hope this has helped some if you have any more "general" questions about the university I might have the answer. Good luck!!

Go Hawkeyes!
Homecoming 1999

Members don't see this ad :)
This years average was a 3.4 and last years was a 3.6 average. The assistant dean said they did reduce there numbers but that because of funding. An M.D. school gets money to run from the govt. Notice that the D.O. numbers are up that is because they are private.

[This message has been edited by Pebbles (edited October 19, 1999).]

Pebbles:

I agree with you that the funding is getting cut, but I have no idea where you got your numbers concerning the G.P.A.s. I was just talking to my advisor who went to a conference last week and the numbers for the class this year was around 3.7. Last years numbers were around 3.67. Look at www.medicine.uiowa.edu for a facts sheet, all the information is right there.

Go Hawkeyes

One of the physicians on the admission board did a seminar for us. This years gpa was 3.4 average. The fact sheet is still in the entering class of 1998. I am not arguing with you, I am just repeating exactly what his spreadsheet said. Of course, this years average is not posted yet because he said "That is the benifit of being known there you get the new information sooner." This is just what he told me. I agree that last years gpa was a 3.6.

Hawkeye and Pebbles:

I am a Florida resident with OK MCAT and 3.4 GPA. I have lots of experience and a strong interest in primary care. However, I am worried that my GPA and status as a Florida resident will keep me out. Do you think that I have a chance?

Kim:

I am by no means on the admissions committee so this is just my overall thought. Being from Iowa and attending the University of Iowa as an undergraduate, my feeling is that the selection of out of state applicants is real competitive. Nearly 75-80% of the students admitted last year were from Iowa, so odds are not in your favor. As far as your G.P.A. goes, I dont think that will completely exclude from possibly being admitted. Do you have any health care experience, or anything that might impress the selection committee? I would suggest if you really want to attend the university of iowa, to at least apply. Again, I am only a undergrad student, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Go Hawkeyes

KimR
You mentioned that you had "lots of experience," this is really important. Your GPA is good. What are your MCAT scores like? If they are average by all means I would apply to the U of I. However, I do agree with Hawkeye, in that U of I sets aside over fifty percent of is seats to Iowa residents. Do not let this discourage you though. I would apply. I had wrote something early on some advice I recieved from one of the admission physicians for the U of I. He told me that one of the major things admission committee look for is the life long decision of medicine. The example I received was on a guy who was smarter than a tick and did awesome the first two years at U of I. Then, he failed out because he didn't want to do medicine anymore. This is where your experience will shine through in your interviews. Please, GPA and MCat are not the only thing they look at (very important thought) show the admission committee everything you have to offer. You are very much in the running. Good luck.

I agree with Pebbles. There is much more than just grades and scores. You have a lot of experience and your G.P.A is good, so I think you are very much in the running. I was not trying to discourage you in saying that there was "no chance" of gaining admission, I was just stating that well over 50% are Iowa residents. Good luck and keep me posted on any further developments.

Go Hawkeyes

Hawkeye and Pebbles -

Thank you so much for the advice. My experience is strong, 2 years in labor and delivery triage @ local hospital, shadowing, teaching newborn care classes, and serving as a bereavement counselor. My MCAT is 10/8/9. This year is my first time applying, and I am hopeful!

Thanks again,
Kim

KimR
I am curious to why you have chose U of I? Being from Florida and all. To me (iowa res.) Florida seems.....fun
smile.gif

Pebbles, you are an iowa resident? Where do you attend school?

Go Hawks

Hawkeye
I go to Iowa State University. Work as a nuero nurse (research assist etc.) and going to school here to finish my BA in genetics. Plan (hope
smile.gif
) to go to medical school at University of Iowa. The Seminars I recieved on med school were from U of I. The Physicians that spoke are affiliated University of Iowas admission for med school. You know, some of my friends go to med school at U of I (one in part. is a 2nd year) most likely could help with some of your interests/questions; but maybe you advisor there is a better source. Just a thought.

Pebbles --

I have been in Florida 10 years. It is fun to vacation here, but living with the heat this long (and the bugs and hurricanes) has me ready to move! I also was interested in UI because they seem in-line with what I am interested in.

Kim