2023-2024 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Iowa (Carver) Secondary Essay Prompts

Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 character limit)

Question 2: Describe a personal characteristic, challenge, or experience that makes you unique. How will this influence your contribution to a dynamic healthcare system that advocates for all peoples? (1500 character limit)

Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. You may list up to 15 entries, 175 characters to describe EACH

Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (1500 character limit)

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (1500 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think the 3rd times gonna be a charm. To all my fellow reapplicants, dust yourselves off and get going again. You got this.

Life Motivation GIF by Maraboli Media
Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: 9 users
For last year's question:

"Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (Up to 15 entries and 175 characters per description)"

Should I include shadowing in this list? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they mean medically related in the same way that every entry on AMCAS could be considered medically related? Or medically related meaning clinical/shadowing and research?

In other words, non-clinical volunteering is considered medically related to all medical schools obviously, but I'm assuming that is not what this question is asking for? One would think they would be a little bit more clear, or maybe I'm just dense. What do others think?

Do they mean medically related in the same way that every entry on AMCAS could be considered medically related? Or medically related meaning clinical/shadowing and research?

In other words, non-clinical volunteering is considered medically related to all medical schools obviously, but I'm assuming that is not what this question is asking for? One would think they would be a little bit more clear, or maybe I'm just dense. What do others think?
No, do not overthink it. Any clinical experience whether volunteer, patient-centered clinical research, or a job such as EMT, scribing etc. Applicants in past years reported including their shadowing as well. Non-clinical volunteering as the name suggests is not medically related.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I think the 3rd times gonna be a charm. To all my fellow reapplicants, dust yourselves off and get going again. You got this.

Life Motivation GIF by Maraboli Media
Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Also a 3rd time applicant here. Solidarity!

Question for the third time applicants, I’m curious to know if you are willing to share, did you all apply exclusively MD all three times or did you try your hand at both MD and DO?

Question for the third time applicants, I’m curious to know if you are willing to share, did you all apply exclusively MD all three times or did you try your hand at both MD and DO?
Personally, exclusively MD each time. First time I applied was 2020-2021 (initial COVID cycle) to only a few schools, then I applied this past cycle to like 24(?) schools. This upcoming cycle I'm planning on only doing Carver I think. Potentially I might add a couple more, but unlikely. Honestly, there's no reason for me not applying to DO other than it's a separate application and I don't think I have the mental bandwidth to figure all of that out:rofl:

Just Iowa for the first, and Iowa and a few MDs for the second. I got waitlisted my first cycle at Iowa (just a few spots away), but got straight-up rejected the second cycle at Iowa. However, my writing and interview were both objectively worse. I have hope for this third cycle with greatly improved writing (and likely better interview), but I applied very broadly because my heart can't take another cycle. Iowa also seems to get more competitive each year. I think I will apply DO next month after I finish my MD secondaries.

OOS Recieved confirmation email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confirmation recieved, no secondary invite yet. of note, this is the first school that ended up in the 'promotions' part of my Gmail inbox rather than the normal inbox.

Reactions: 1 user
Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.

Question 2: Describe a personal characteristic, challenge, or experience that makes you unique. How will this influence your contribution to a dynamic healthcare system that advocates for all peoples?

Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS.

Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

(Do not exceed the maximum character limit of 1500 (including spaces) for questions 1, 2, 4 and 5. On Question 3, you are limited to 15 total entries and 175 characters per description entry)

Anyone know if Iowa employs some kind of holistic /stats pre-screening? OOS/WARS 80/LM 76, got the confirmation email on 7/5

anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was submitted and verified the first day and I'm starting to worry. I did get the confirmation email.

anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was submitted and verified the first day and I'm starting to worry. I did get the confirmation email.
OOS I havent gotten in either, and I have gotten several others

+1 OOS. Haven't gotten a secondary either but accidentally thought their confirmation email was a secondary and wrote everything out💀

Anybody not receive the secondary yet? OOS verified 6/8.

Reactions: 1 users
Potentially dumb question incoming:

When they say "List all [subject] coursework that you have completed..."

Do they mean all of it or just what they require/recommend?

I listed all of it. Was a pain
Potentially dumb question incoming:

When they say "List all [subject] coursework that you have completed..."

Do they mean all of it or just what they require/recommend?

Hi all, for Q3 on secondary that asks you to list "all medically related experiences", are y'all putting just clinical experiences and clinical volunteering, or are you listing basically all your primary activities (pubs, conferences etc)

Hi all, for Q3 on secondary that asks you to list "all medically related experiences", are y'all putting just clinical experiences and clinical volunteering, or are you listing basically all your primary activities (pubs, conferences etc)
I put in clinical volunteering and paid clinical employment tbh

I also just put clinical employment and volunteering

wrote down all my courses, clicked submit...the screen reloaded and asked me log in again. no progress saved FMLLL brooooo annoying af

• Sad
  • Angry
Did anyone get this email?

“We have successfully received your AMCAS application and are in the process of considering you for a secondary application. We appreciate your patience with this, as it is a manual process to ensure there are no errors. You will be receiving an email from us with more information soon! If you have questions in the meantime, contact [email protected].”

I did not see this the past two cycles….

• Hmm
is anyone's payment marked as incomplete even though they payed?
From the application, "Please allow 3-5 business days for your fee to process after you submit your payment information here."

Did anyone get this email?

“We have successfully received your AMCAS application and are in the process of considering you for a secondary application. We appreciate your patience with this, as it is a manual process to ensure there are no errors. You will be receiving an email from us with more information soon! If you have questions in the meantime, contact [email protected].”

I did not see this the past two cycles….
I got that and then got the secondary a few days later

From the application, "Please allow 3-5 business days for your fee to process after you submit your payment information here."

I got that and then got the secondary a few days later
Did you get the email on a Friday also?

For the question where they ask you to list your medically-related experiences, should I be writing new descriptions for the activities I already submitted in AMCAS? I'm assuming they don't want me to submit the same information twice, but I'm also unsure if they're just looking for a subset of the AMCAS activities/descriptions for organization purposes.