2023-2024 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can today please be the day?
giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bro I just got a call from them but it was for their PhD program saying a deadline was coming up wtf lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Guys just a heads up: they don't call. They'll send and email to check your portal. Good luck peeps!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Pop Tv Hope GIF by Schitt's Creek

Sending everyone that interviewed good luck today

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
OOS II received this morning, LM 75, complete early July. All open dates are virtual in January

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you that interviewed, how was your experience? Did it last all 25 minutes or go over time? How was the CBL thing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that interviewed, how was your experience? Did it last all 25 minutes or go over time? How was the CBL thing?
They knock and tell you the time is over at 25 minutes, so they aren't allowed to go longer. I would say the interview was pretty standard, but closed file. CBL is fun and low-stress-- it's mainly to make sure that you're a nice person in a group setting.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone happen to know if lecture attendance is mandatory?

Does anyone happen to know if lecture attendance is mandatory?
It’s usually not. Only patient visits and very specific lectures with guest speakers are mandatory. Everything is recorded.

• Wow
Is this the week 11/10 interviews can start hearing back? I remember them saying at the 4 week mark

Is this the week 11/10 interviews can start hearing back? I remember them saying at the 4 week mark
I was told anywhere from 6-8 weeks up to March. So, maybe or maybe not. They don't review in order of interview date, so waiting is unfortunately here to stay.

This waiting game is painful. Prayers 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
After 2 years of final pool/rejection I finally got the A yesterday!! Beyond excited and grateful and still in shock 🤩

(For the curious ones: IS, interviewed in Sept, received the email yesterday at 2:53pm CT)

ETA: I'm one step closer to becoming a Carver cadaver carver of Carver carver cadavers 😬

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 18 users
After 2 years of final pool/rejection I finally got the A yesterday!! Beyond excited and grateful and still in shock 🤩

(For the curious ones: IS, interviewed in Sept, received the email yesterday at 2:53pm CT)

ETA: I'm one step closer to becoming a Carver cadaver carver of Carver carver cadavers 😬
Congrats! Is this your third cycle? What did you do different?

How do the adcoms decide what applications to review? Does anyone know?

• Hmm

That’s awesome!! This if my fourth time interviewing at CCOM and I got the R after final pool the first three times. At least I have one other A so far this cycle. But I’d like Iowa better!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
How do the adcoms decide what applications to review? Does anyone know?
From reading past years' threads it's probably random. I don't remember which year's thread this was in, but one person that knew ADCOM or something said they were grabbing 25 random files to review each week. Might explain why some people hear in 3 weeks and some in 3 months.

But who knows 🫠

From reading past years' threads it's probably random. I don't remember which year's thread this was in, but one person that knew ADCOM or something said they were grabbing 25 random files to review each week. Might explain why some people hear in 3 weeks and some in 3 months.

But who knows 🫠
This sounds right. From my understanding, the admissions director who you meet on interview day, randomly selects 25 each week and it can be random, but also if she recognizes you she can choose you. I’m sure it’s also ordered in some way by their own priority. I definitely think 25 is the high end of what they review this week.

A’s are still coming out for the next few weeks (except holidays), so there’s still time!

This sounds right. From my understanding, the admissions director who you meet on interview day, randomly selects 25 each week and it can be random, but also if she recognizes you she can choose you. I’m sure it’s also ordered in some way by their own priority. I definitely think 25 is the high end of what they review this week.

A’s are still coming out for the next few weeks (except holidays), so there’s still time!
Thank you…hopefully tomorrow is the day!

Are they releasing any A’s today? Does anyone know?

OOS A today afternoon! Interviewed mid Nov. Pleasantly surprised :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
(Removed)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Carver's final pool process is so awful. Where are our application fees going if this process is so slow, mysterious, and inefficient
How do we know if we are in final pool? Is there a difference between WL and final pool? I had an interview in September and no answer yet. Waiting

Reactions: 2 users
How do we know if we are in final pool? Is there a difference between WL and final pool? I had an interview in September and no answer yet. Waiting
I also interviewed end of Sep no news yet. There was a comment from a current student here in October basically if I understood correctly saying the last day of January usually they send either R, WL, or final pool. The WL and final pool applies to those who interviewed already.

Though curious to know what the difference between WL and final pool. If you’re final pooled you will hear again in March but if you are WL I am not sure maybe you hear up until soon to class starting?

I also interviewed end of Sep no news yet. There was a comment from a current student here in October basically if I understood correctly saying the last day of January usually they send either R, WL, or final pool. The WL and final pool applies to those who interviewed already.

Though curious to know what the difference between WL and final pool. If you’re final pooled you will hear again in March but if you are WL I am not sure maybe you hear up until soon to class starting?
Slight miss conception here as I understand it. The last day in January, they send everyone who interviewed and is still waiting on a decision: R or FP. Rejection is self-explanatory. I believe at this point everyone who has not been offered an interview is rejected (not 100% sure of this however).

FP means you get the privilege to sit around and wait for them to re-review applications again and again until mid or early March where you will hear: A, R, or WL. From here, WL works as you would expect. Acceptance and rejection are again self-explanatory.

FP at Iowa is not a death sentenace. I have heard that as many as 2/3 of the incoming class come from the final pool including those accepted directly from it and from the WL. Doesn't change the fact this indecisiveness is incredibly frustrating and disrespectful to the applicants who have little clarity as to how the mysterious Oz works his tricks. When you hold all the chips however, what incentive is there to change your ways?

FP=final pool, WL=waitlist

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Slight miss conception here as I understand it. The last day in January, they send everyone who interviewed and is still waiting on a decision: R or FP. Rejection is self-explanatory. I believe at this point everyone who has not been offered an interview is rejected (not 100% sure of this however).

FP means you get the privilege to sit around and wait for them to re-review applications again and again until mid or early March where you will hear: A, R, or WL. From here, WL works as you would expect. Acceptance and rejection are again self-explanatory.

FP at Iowa is not a death sentenace. I have heard that as many as 2/3 of the incoming class come from the final pool including those accepted directly from it and from the WL. Doesn't change the fact this indecisiveness is incredibly frustrating and disrespectful to the applicants who have little clarity as to how the mysterious Oz works his tricks. When you hold all the chips however, what incentive is there to change your ways?

Thank you

Thank you

Do you know if they still also send actual acceptances too that last day of January? Or if they will no longer follow the weekly Tuesday decisions?

I also haven’t heard about any post II R’s before final pool, so those are rare, if even possible

My boss (wrote one of my LORs, attending dr at well known academic medical center) wants to email schools on my behalf where I’m hoping for an II or waitlisted. Idk how I feel. Thoughts?
Better to ask in the main SDN premed forum instead of on an Iowa specific forum… I have a feeling they’ll say no though

Has anyone received an MD/PhD acceptance,WL, or post-II rejection yet?
MD applicant here. Interviewed late September and heard nothing. I wonder when they meet again. Early Jan or mid Jan?