University of Minnesota c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's only accurate for like 6 months of the year :D

In all seriousness, yes it will be cold during the winter and you will probably hate it but you get used to it and it makes you a better person (because if you can survive winter here, you instantly become an expert in all things winter. Your warm-weather friends will be impressed).

Wear a coat for your interview and layers if you freeze easily. Most of it is indoors though - and walking around through tunnels and such to avoid going outdoors as much as possible. You may feel horribly turned around but that's what your tour guides are there for - to lead you back. That being said, don't wear a skirt with nothing underneath or just a light spring jacket over a short-sleeved top. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. Also realize that you may be walking through some light snow over the sidewalks so open toed shoes = one of those not-so-smart decisions.

Also, just a side note, you'll have free time and I highly recommend using it to visit the Raptor Center. It's literally across the street from the small animal hospital. They give a little tour and its pretty fun - so if your tour guide doesn't mention it ask them where it is and go see it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Minnesota allows people to change their interview schedule?

Yes, Minnesota is basically Hoth.

But we weren't outside much during interviews last year. It's a short walk (like 30 seconds, maybe?) from the building where we interviewed to the other vet med buildings for the tour. The buildings on the tour are connected, so you don't really have to go outside. It's a couple minute walk outside to get to the raptor center, which is also neat to visit if you have time. If you drive, the parking lot isn't far if you park in the Gortner ramp. I didn't go to the equine center tour, but I think that should be inside as well, unless they show you the teaching horses.

You should be fine if you wear a warm coat. It's warm inside the buildings, so you'll only need to wear it outside. A scarf and gloves are always nice, too, if you have them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Minnesota allows people to change their interview schedule?
Yes, I had to cancel my interview and withdraw my application. They emailed back and asked me if I wanted to change interview dates rather than withdraw my application. Unfortunately I can't :( But they were super nice!

This is how I imagine Minnesota.
451279ea6c885964ce2ff84584a72458.jpg
This is depressingly accurate. Though this winter really hasn't been as bad as last year, which gives me hope for the future. This talk of weather reminds me though, make sure you look at the weather forecast for the day of your interview. If it's supposed to snow, or if it's really really cold, make sure you leave extra time. The roads can be really crappy if it has recently snowed and it's really cold, because there's just no good way to clear them. The roads are pretty flat and straight, so it's not so bad compared to some places, but it definitely slows traffic down. And when it's really cold it takes a good 10 minutes for your engine to heat up.

Yes, Minnesota is basically Hoth.

But we weren't outside much during interviews last year. It's a short walk (like 30 seconds, maybe?) from the building where we interviewed to the other vet med buildings for the tour. The buildings on the tour are connected, so you don't really have to go outside. It's a couple minute walk outside to get to the raptor center, which is also neat to visit if you have time. If you drive, the parking lot isn't far if you park in the Gortner ramp. I didn't go to the equine center tour, but I think that should be inside as well, unless they show you the teaching horses.

You should be fine if you wear a warm coat. It's warm inside the buildings, so you'll only need to wear it outside. A scarf and gloves are always nice, too, if you have them.

The equine center tour is indoors. But, the equine center is ... hmm .... maybe a total (walking distance) of 6-8 blocks from the core vet school. There is parking there, so if you drive to it - great. But if you plan to walk - dress warm.

Basically, @kcoughli gave you all the info you need. And I second her recommendation to check out the raptor center if you have interest and time. The biggest thing I would add is to make accommodations for travel time if weather is bad. If it snows significantly overnight the night before your interview, roads can be downright awful and traffic can be a mess for the day until the plows get everything squared away. Figure out a normal nice-weather travel time and then double it or more. And then give yourself a healthy margin beyond that. No sense being late for something important like this. If it's below 10F or so, plan to go start your car and let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving it. If you're really super wussy and want to spoil yourself (I would if I were you), start it, turn the heater on high, and come back in 15 minutes. :)

ETA: Bah. Ninja'd by @dovelover .....

As an OOS person from a warm state I have to say this winter has been surprisingly mild. I never thought I would think 40 degrees is warm, but you adapt faster than you think. I bought a down coat that goes to my knees and i love it! When I interviewed last year it was definitely waaay colder in the winter. weve been averagin 30-40 degrees which is like a normal winter in most states. so dont fret!

Hey guys,

Current Minnesota students - How's the cost of living in Minnesota? I had a couple acceptances and I am debating which will be cheaper (if I get accepted from Minnesota of course). All my acceptances are OOS so tuition-wise they are about same but now I am a little worried about cost of living, with the school being in a city... (Although that's what I liked about Minnesota)
Cost of living is not bad at all. I see you are from new york ( so depending on where in new york you are from, it may be way cheaper). I was from an expensive state too. There are all sorts of housing here where people live with 3-4 roommates in a house and pay like 350-400 or there are people who live 2 people to an apartment and its like 500 a month each. Then there are those who live on their own in an apartment for like 800-950 a month rent? So Im not sure if you wanna say that is cheap or expensive. Guess it depends on perspective.

Also there is no tax on clothing here! <3

Cost of living is not bad at all. I see you are from new york ( so depending on where in new york you are from, it may be way cheaper). I was from an expensive state too. There are all sorts of housing here where people live with 3-4 roommates in a house and pay like 350-400 or there are people who live 2 people to an apartment and its like 500 a month each. Then there are those who live on their own in an apartment for like 800-950 a month rent? So Im not sure if you wanna say that is cheap or expensive. Guess it depends on perspective.

Also there is no tax on clothing here! <3

Oh yes, I am from the city so it has to be cheaper than here. :) I lived with many roommates here, but I can't do that anymore since I got married. But still, I think I am more relieved now about the cost of attendance.
And yay for clothes shopping! :claps:

My interview is this Friday. :help: Is anyone else interviewing this weekend? I am so nervous. I don't want to forget all my life experiences due to my nervousness and give some bad answers!

My interview is this Friday. :help: Is anyone else interviewing this weekend? I am so nervous. I don't want to forget all my life experiences due to my nervousness and give some bad answers!
GOOOOD LUCK! Mine is next Saturday :)

Thanks so much!! :) Can't believe interview weeks are already here!
I know! I read a feedback saying that some interviewers were a bit harsh so I am just hoping for the best! :) i am sure you will be fine!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait, what? Interviews are starting this week? Yikes. I'd better check my tour schedule.

Reactions: 2 users
I got really confused today because there seemed to be extra people in Pomeroy and I had this weird panic moment where I didn't know what day it was (because I think the IS interviews start tomorrow). I don't know who the extra people were but thanks for making me think it was Thursday instead of Wednesday for a brief moment (and that much closer to the weekend).

That being said - good luck everyone!

Good luck with interviews everybody!

Good luck to everyone interviewing today and this weekend! Try not to be too nervous. Take a deep breath, smile, and stay positive.

Leaving tomorrow and interviewing Saturday eep!

Well I had my interview, I thought it went well. I think. I had a good time, the interviewers seemed to have a good time. Let's hope this reflects in my score =)
I'm surprised how much I like the way they run their new curriculum

I have my interview next Friday! Slightly nervous! Glad to hear other people's went well! :)

Well I had my interview, I thought it went well. I think. I had a good time, the interviewers seemed to have a good time. Let's hope this reflects in my score =)
I'm surprised how much I like the way they run their new curriculum

And you totally failed to stop me in the hospital and say hi. Hmph.

I have my interview next Friday! Slightly nervous! Glad to hear other people's went well! :)

Just remember that nobody knows you better than you do.

Well, I absolutely loved the school and the area! I hope to get in, but I don't think my interview went very well. It was ok, and I wasn't even THAT nervous going in, but some questions threw me off. We'll see I guess. The school is definitely amazing though!

Good luck to everyone who have upcoming interviews!

Well, I absolutely loved the school and the area! I hope to get in, but I don't think my interview went very well. It was ok, and I wasn't even THAT nervous going in, but some questions threw me off. We'll see I guess. The school is definitely amazing though!

Good luck to everyone who have upcoming interviews!
Can I ask you if there were any academic questions during the interview?! I haven't had an interview specifically asking about my academic knowledge but I am just scared!

Can I ask you if there were any academic questions during the interview?! I haven't had an interview specifically asking about my academic knowledge but I am just scared!

I interviewed this past weekend as well. They only asked me questions about myself - they started with general questions about my background and then went into the behavioral questions. They also explained the interview process and were conversational (they asked me about the weather at home, etc. before diving into questions).

It's strictly a behavioral interview, so no worries!

In general, aren't supposed to talk about specifics of the interview content. Obviously, they can't really enforce that, but ... professional honor, yanno.

In regard to how you feel you did, I wouldn't let that inform your opinion about your likelihood of getting in unless it was just plain clearly AWFUL or something. You'd be surprised how many people who get in talk about how poorly they feel their interview went. It's the difference between what you think they're looking for and what they're actually looking for, plus a hefty dose of self-imposed perfectionism that sets a mark nobody can attain.

So all in all .... just try to enjoy your visit, put your best face on, be honest and tactful in your answers, and let the chips fall where they will. Y'all can do great!

If you mean academic knowledge like medical/veterinary/biological knowledge .... that's not something you will be evaluated on beyond your pre-req gpas. That's something you're coming to school to learn. :)

If you mean academic knowledge like medical/veterinary/biological knowledge .... that's not something you will be evaluated on beyond your pre-req gpas. That's something you're coming to school to learn. :)
Thats what I hoping for! Thank you!

Thats what I hoping for! Thank you!

Yeah, no academic questions or anything like that. They were really nice, and the questions are all about yourself. So yeah, you'll do great! Good luck! Just think about your life experiences etc. before you go in and you'll be ok! :)

I am a little bit stressed about driving in city traffic to my interview. The information session starts at 8:00am, but my actual interview isn't until later. If, God forbid, I am not there at 8:00am sharp, does anyone know if they will still let me interview? Do you have to be checked in before 8:00? Thanks!

I am a little bit stressed about driving in city traffic to my interview. The information session starts at 8:00am, but my actual interview isn't until later. If, God forbid, I am not there at 8:00am sharp, does anyone know if they will still let me interview? Do you have to be checked in before 8:00? Thanks!
You should be fine. I think the 8am thing is more of an information session and I believe its technically optional. This is all coming from remembering my interview 2 years ago (holy crap), so assuming the same procedure. @LetItSnow or @dovelover may know more.

I thought the info session is at 8:30?

Thanks so much for your help! My email from the U of M lists 8:00 as the information session time. I am in-state...maybe if you are OOS (or on a different day), it might be different?

Thanks so much for your help! My email from the U of M lists 8:00 as the information session time. I am in-state...maybe if you are OOS (or on a different day), it might be different?
Oh yeah! I am OOS haha

Relax! Try to be there for the info session. But if you aren't they won't punish you. :) It's for YOU to gather info, not them.

I know for a fact that it will be totally fine. You would miss out on some of the information obviously, but it's mostly a "rah-rah U of MN we are awesome" session. My first year interviewing I attended but didn't get much information out of the session itself. I read the handouts and asked questions based on the information in there rather than the info that was presented. I do vaguely remember some prospective students arriving late that first year.

My second year interviewing a HUGE snowstorm hit early in the morning on the day of my interview. I left at 5:00 AM thinking it would give me enough time to get there. I did not arrive until after 9:45AM. I believe I had a 10:30AM interview time or some time around then. I cut it really close (by no fault of my own). Perhaps it was the weather, but they still let me check in, interview, and eat lunch. I know it feels better to be on time or early and to be able to get settled in, but I just wanted to let you know that I was very late, arrived less than 45 minutes before my interview time, and I still managed to have a good interview.

If you signed up for the equine center tour, but you don't end up going to it, do they hold that against you?

If you signed up for the equine center tour, but you don't end up going to it, do they hold that against you?

When I got to the equine center, they had us make name tags and you signed in if you had a car. I don't think they actually checked off our names anywhere. My impression was that the RSVP was to know how many students they needed to have to give tours, how much food to provide, etc. So I don't think so, but maybe someone else can give a more definitive answer.

Anyone who's interviewing today, I'm sitting in the hospital watching all of you go by on tours. ;)