University of Minnesota c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! A little early, but I thought I'd make a thread for us applying for UMN this cycle. Good luck!

First-time OOS applicant. But my partner is moving to the Twin City area for work, so hopefully we can get residency if I get in :) We know almost nothing about the area! It's my first choice as the vet I worked for for years is a UMN alum and is from the Chanhassen/Chaska area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I am also First-time OOS applicant. My husband is a native Minnesotan and we hope that I get accepted so that we can be closer to his family and be permanent residents.

I hope that I can get resident status if I do get accepted. I hear it might be difficult if you don't live there prior to getting in to UMN. Does anyone have experience with this? Or know more?

I hope that I can get resident status if I do get accepted. I hear it might be difficult if you don't live there prior to getting in to UMN. Does anyone have experience with this? Or know more?
He's moving this week and I'm moving hopefully next month. As far as I'm aware, if you live there for 1 year before school starts, then yoy can get residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a first time OOS applicant!

Hi! I figured i’d comment here, Im not attending UMN, but I was accepted last cycle as an OOS resident. If anyone wants essay feedback or have any questions, feel free to reach out !

Reactions: 3 users
First time, OOS applicant!

Reactions: 1 user
IS applicant! Good luck

Good luck, everyone!

Let me know if I can answer any questions, I'm in the dual DVM/PhD program and will be joining the class of 2024 for clinics in January.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
First time OOS applicant. Nervous as heck.
Didn't get an interview or anything other than a flat out rejection last cycle so hoping at least one school will be kinder to me this time.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else applying to a combined DVM/MS or PhD program? The grad degree program application also requires 3 LORs. Is this in ADDITION to the 4 I already submitted through VMCAS? :confused:

I really don't want to have to ask my recommenders to write me ANOTHER letter considering 2 of them supposedly had mentioned my research/scientific interests since I told them I was applying for combined programs.

Last edited:
Anyone else applying to a combined DVM/MS or PhD program? The grad degree program application also requires 3 LORs. Is this in ADDITION to the 4 I already submitted through VMCAS? :confused:

I really don't want to have to ask my recommenders to write me ANOTHER letter considering 2 of them supposedly had mentioned my research/scientific interests since I told them I was applying for combined programs...
IIRC from when I applied, yes, it is separate letters for the dual program. The ones for the PhD portion should be geared more toward why they recommend you for research specifically.

Your best bet, since I applied ages ago, would be contacting the program for clarification. When I applied, Mark Rutherford was the go-to person for the PhD application portion, but he may not be at this point. It should say on the page though.

IIRC from when I applied, yes, it is separate letters for the dual program. The ones for the PhD portion should be geared more toward why they recommend you for research specifically.

Your best bet, since I applied ages ago, would be contacting the program for clarification.
I contacted them, and yes it's basically two separate applications. That's kind of annoying because most other schools only require 1 additional LOR if any...

First time OOS from CA! Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Did anyone else apply to the 2+2 SDSU / UMN program?

Last edited:
Just FYI - MSU would be referring to either Mississippi State or Michigan State, not to Minnesota (UMN).

Small detail, but the kind of thing that can trip you up in essays if abbreviating, so want to make sure the right one is out there and the wrong one doesn’t get lodged in a crevice of anyone’s brain for future applications!

Best of luck to all of you, hope to meet some of you at the admitted students’ weekend in the spring, or virtually during interviews!

I won't interview people I know, but you could still bump into me (virtually) at some of the other things that go on during interviews!
Ohoooo!
Yeah I was going to mention, maybe a conflict of interest for you to interview me. "She's perfect! Admit her!"

• Care
I guess I didn't realize there was a Nebraska program, I'll have to double check.
Yeah i think it’s new. It also wasn’t in conjunction with minnesota, i think it was with illinois.

Did anyone receive a receipt of their credentials or a confirmation of their application being submitted outside of the VMCAS notification?

Did anyone receive a receipt of their credentials or a confirmation of their application being submitted outside of the VMCAS notification?
I did get an email from them the day after I submitted by VMCAS application, confirming that my application was received. It just had general information about the process.

4th time IS applicant. Best of luck to everyone. Hoping for good news in the new year! :love:

• Care
First time OOS applicant~ I was very impressed with the Explore UMN CVM program. Was anyone else able to catch one of the three?

First time OOS applicant~ I was very impressed with the Explore UMN CVM program. Was anyone else able to catch one of the three?
Yes I attended 2/3, and it made me want to get in even more! I love all the things they're doing to advance the program and the field in general.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
When does Minnesota send our invite/rejections? Does anyone know?

I'm so nervous for decisions especially since I just got my IS rejection :cryi:

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Do we think tomorrow is the day…
Okay so the email they first sent out said “We will update you the first week of January” but historically it’s been the last day before the new year.

Do you think their email was incorrect and just giving them extra time?

Okay so the email they first sent out said “We will update you the first week of January” but historically it’s been the last day before the new year.

Do you think their email was incorrect and just giving them extra time?
Yes, I think it will be tomorrow. At least it has been on 12/29 the last two cycles. I looked back and one email was sent at 11:33 AM and the other at 12:33 AM.