University of Minnesota c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they are done calling? Do they only call if you are accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if they are done calling? Do they only call if you are accepted?
They only call if you are accepted. I am also wondering if they are done or not. Feeling so depressed right now.

Do you know roughly how many seats OOS waitlist moves and did they give you your position right away on the list last year?
I was on the IS waitlist so I don't know much about OOS movement, but all waitlisters did know our positions right away.
I skimmed last year's applicant thread and it looks like OOS moved at least 23 seats during one update, but I'm not sure how far they went overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patiently waiting for the email like..:nod:

Feel like there was some mistake and they called the wrong person since my interview went so bad. That email should shut up the anxiety I’m having currently :confused:
They only call if you are accepted. I am also wondering if they are done or not. Feeling so depressed right now.

Same. I don’t have cell service, so I don’t know if I’ve missed my call or if I’m just not getting one. I’ve been rejected from the other schools I applied to, so this was my last hope for this application cycle.

This is also my last one and I’m praying they’re not done calling but I am fearing the worst!

Reactions: 1 users
If you miss the acceptance phone call do they leave a message or do you have to wait for the email?

Reactions: 1 user
This is also my last one and I’m praying they’re not done calling but I am fearing the worst!

I think we’d be okay if we even got on the waitlist in the top 10-15 people. I just want to know what’s going on. It’s hard seeing everyone get the calls not knowing where I’m at.

If you miss the acceptance phone call do they leave a message or do you have to wait for the email?

I think it depends, they said they’d leave a message but only if we have a personal voice mail greeting recorded so they know it’s us.

They sent out wait lists. I’m OOS and my number is 64

OOS waitlisted :/ disappointed since I loved this school, I'm number 62, what are the chances that it will reach me?

OOS-I missed my call and they left me a general voicemail with a callback number. Received the official acceptance email few hours later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS #3! They said they won't tell us until April though...how painful lol

I started at #20 on the IS waitlist last year and ended up being #1 in July but never made it in. Kind of a bummer but gave me confidence for this years application cycle.

Got the email after I missed the call. OOS accepted!

Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group for accepted students? I really need to get on finding some people to live with

does anyone know how many OOS people got off the waitlist in the past?

Accepted OOS! I really loved Minnesota but since I was accepted IS I can't justify the tuition difference. I will be declining my seat.

OOS Accepted but I will probably decline because I also got into my in-state school. So @jojocarls consider yourself #2!

OOS Accepted but I will probably decline because I also got into my in-state school. So @jojocarls consider yourself #2!
omg you and above post just made my night lol i was super nervous everyone would wait forever to decline and then id be stuck in May scrambling for housing!! THANK YOU for deciding and CONGRATS on two schools!! woot woot!!

omg you and above post just made my night lol i was super nervous everyone would wait forever to decline and then id be stuck in May scrambling for housing!! THANK YOU for deciding and CONGRATS on two schools!! woot woot!!

I will be declining as well due to cheaper options so congrats :)

I will be declining as well due to cheaper options so congrats :)
Celebration starting :clap: congrats to you as well!! Do you guys plan on declining soon? Ill probably call next Monday for a status update.

I will decline as soon as I get a confirmation email that my IS deposit was received. I should decline within a week.

IS Waitlist #9 I don’t wanna get my hopes up, but I’m optimistic being so close to the top... any IS planning to deny their seats? Lol asking for a friend... :p

Does anyone know if there’s a Facebook group for accepted students? I really need to get on finding some people to live with
emoji51.png
I think they've made it, or at the very least they've started asking current students to update the housing list for it. If it isn't up right now, it will be very soon.

does anyone know how many OOS people got off the waitlist in the past?
I've heard that it's gotten to at least the 20s/30s in the past, but every year is different. Some years they move a lot and some hardly at all. The OOS list always has better chances of movement though since people may decline to go to their IS

Just so you know, updates don't come out until after the acceptance deadline. Even if people have declined they won't be pulling people off the waitlist until April 16th (assuming the deadline is still April 15th like it was last year)

Number 3 on the IS waitlist!!! Feeling pretty optimistic! Hoping some IS decliners post on here so I'm not stressing until after April 15th :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Congratulations all!! :soexcited:
Still available if anyone has questions!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if pets are allowed in dorms or if there are any apartments near campus that allow pets.

I plan on bringing my small dog with me (and maybe cat too if circumstances allow it)

There are tons of pet friendly apartments and house rentals around. The only ones living in dorms on campus are undergrads :) but there are a lot of options around, especially with a small doggo and a cat!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if pets are allowed in dorms or if there are any apartments near campus that allow pets.

I plan on bringing my small dog with me (and maybe cat too if circumstances allow it)
A student that I met at my interview said her apartment is like a zoo, so there definitely are pet friendly apartments. I don't remember how many animals she said she said she had, but I remember thinking "damn I aspire to have that many"

Congrats to everyone who got in! So, I'm #46 on the OOS wait list. I know it varies, but has anyone ever heard of the list moving quite that much? I was accepted to another school, but it would be a tough call if I were to eventually be offered a seat.

So is it even possible to find a decent 2 bedroom place in the cities for less than $1,200 a month? The higher cost of living is literally the only thing holding me back from accepting my IS seat. If anyone has any tips, leads, or any info that they are willing to share, I would love to hear it. I’m just having a difficult time picking between MN and Mizzou since Missouri apartments and houses seem cheaper

So is it even possible to find a decent 2 bedroom place in the cities for less than $1,200 a month? The higher cost of living is literally the only thing holding me back from accepting my IS seat. If anyone has any tips, leads, or any info that they are willing to share, I would love to hear it. I’m just having a difficult time picking between MN and Mizzou since Missouri apartments and houses seem cheaper
I was thinking the same thing. But i figures getting a 2 bedroom apartment is cheaper than a 1 so I’ll find a roomie once I get pulled off the waitlist lol but I’m feeling confident considering I’m #6!

My place is $950 a month but I do not have a washer/dryer or dishwasher. But we are pet friendly and only a 5 mile is drive to St.Paul campus, it's possible to find cheaper housing but as you can see I compromised on some amenities

You might want to look at renting a house or a duplex too - I know before I bought my place, I looked at some rentals like that and they were, in general, a better deal financially than some of the apartments close to campus.

Does anyone know what the parking situation is like at the college? Is it free/cheap? Is it usually easy to find a spot?

Does anyone know what the parking situation is like at the college? Is it free/cheap? Is it usually easy to find a spot?
I remember asking about it during the student panel and they said there are two lots. One is further away, but cheaper. And there is like a lot that is $5 a day if you dont normally drive but decide to every now and then. I feel like it was something like ~200/ semester, but I'm not sure...

I asked about this during a tour and I *think* they said that the covered Gortner ramp which is literally right by the school is about $100/month and then uncovered parking further away is cheaper

If you have a contract you are guaranteed parking, and the $5 surface lot always has free space (it's used for the state fair, so it is enormous). Parking contracts are decided on a lottery basis in the fall, so you aren't necessarily guaranteed to get a contract at the parking ramp, but I'm not entirely sure how that process works/if they consider professional students first. After that you can renew them in spring (only as a graduate/professional student; undergrads have to enter the lottery again).
Like others have said, there is the parking ramp right across the street from the vet school which is more expensive. I park in the surface lot (which is also the $5 lot if you don't buy a contract). It's only a 5-10 minute walk from the buildings where we have class, and I think it's a fine walk most days. It can be tricky if it's really icy, but that doesn't happen super often.
The surface lots cost $69 a month, and ramps cost $102.75 per month. These are charged to our student accounts on a semester basis as a lump sum, not month to month. I paid $242 for my fall contract and $300 for my spring contract.

There is one other pay-as-you-enter surface lot but I think it's a bit further away, and it is more prone to fill up. Other than that, it's pretty much all staff contract only on campus itself. I don't know much about parking off campus but I think some people do?