University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesegirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at UMN-TC soon. Can anyone give me an idea of how many people interview per day and how long it takes to hear back about a decision? For those who have interviewed there, what what did you think? I read the interview feedback but I'd love to hear your thoughts about the school and why you love it or don't. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed with 2 other people. Much less organized day than other schools I've been at, but still impressive. Are you from MN or WI?

I'm also interviewing there soon. I wish the actual interview wasn't so early in the morning... I'm not familiar with the area and am hoping I don't get lost :eek: I've driven around there before and got hopelessly lost.

Only 2 other people on same day? Wow... cozy! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There were 8 interviewees my day. The dean tells you about when you'll hear back. He told my group 3rd week of January, and I just interviewed w/i the last week.

How long after you send in your secondary did you hear about an interview? I'm an August MCATer and they took awhile to get the secondary to me-thus I turned it in about a week ago. I hope I'm not too late in this whole process!

How long after you send in your secondary did you hear about an interview? I'm an August MCATer and they took awhile to get the secondary to me-thus I turned it in about a week ago. I hope I'm not too late in this whole process!

I was complete around Oct. 17, so it took about about 1.5 months for me to hear. I turned it in so late, because I didn't get their secondary until the end of September.

I am interviewing at UMN-TC soon. Can anyone give me an idea of how many people interview per day and how long it takes to hear back about a decision? For those who have interviewed there, what what did you think? I read the interview feedback but I'd love to hear your thoughts about the school and why you love it or don't. Thanks!

This is a little off topic, but how long did it take for you guys/girls to get a secondary? I sent in my primary on 10/25 (verified on 11/29) and I just got a receipt of confirmation - not a secondary invitation - on 12/8... Im a MN resident with decent stats compared to their averages. U of MN is pretty much my top choice at this point, so I was just curious about what the timeline might look like.

I got the secondary about a month after they received my August MCAT scores. MN's my top choice too-I miss home! Here's hoping they send us some love . .

This is a little off topic, but how long did it take for you guys/girls to get a secondary? I sent in my primary on 10/25 (verified on 11/29) and I just got a receipt of confirmation - not a secondary invitation - on 12/8... Im a MN resident with decent stats compared to their averages. U of MN is pretty much my top choice at this point, so I was just curious about what the timeline might look like.

My AMCAS was verified in the middle of July and I didn't get their secondary until the end of September. I am a WI resident.

It takes a little while to get the interview...UMN is slooowww...however after I intervied which by the way only had 4 people when I was there...I found out I was accepted 2 weeks later...I am OOS...Texas...

It takes a little while to get the interview...UMN is slooowww...however after I intervied which by the way only had 4 people when I was there...I found out I was accepted 2 weeks later...I am OOS...Texas...

Did you interview this year? What kind of stats do you have?

Nevermind... I failed to look at your MDApps profile which would have explained all that :)

Did you interview this year? What kind of stats do you have?

Nevermind... I failed to look at your MDApps profile which would have explained all that :)

Yeah I interviewed this year...October 20th I believe...I found out acceptance Nov 4th...best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahaha you're interviewing right during cold season. Wear WARM clothes!

I hope you love our school!

I just got my interview invite (YAY!!!..I have friends in the area, so this school excites me). It took them a few months each step of the way. Also, I'm a WI resident..does that confer some sort of selective advantage?

Didn't think reciprocity applied to medical school.

I just got my interview invite (YAY!!!..I have friends in the area, so this school excites me). It took them a few months each step of the way. Also, I'm a WI resident..does that confer some sort of selective advantage?

Didn't think reciprocity applied to medical school.

Looking from your stats, you would have received the invite whether you were from WI or anywhere else ;)

U of M likes its instaters, but I'd say they most likely consider reciprocity states ( Wisc, iowa, Neb.) more highly than they do OOS.

I went to UW-Madison undergrad and got a less than stellar GPA. To help build my app I entered a 2 year post bacc program, got really good grades (I'm taking the same classes as the med school as a 2nd year) and am wondering how MN views post-baccers. I'll get a graduate degree in June as well. I'm just really worried about my undergrad GPA keeping out of MN- it's my number one!

Looking from your stats, you would have received the invite whether you were from WI or anywhere else ;)

U of M likes its instaters, but I'd say they most likely consider reciprocity states ( Wisc, iowa, Neb.) more highly than they do OOS.

Hey, their website only has the Dakotas as reciprocity states. Was this just speculation (this idea that WI, IA, and NE are too) or do you actually know this? Also, why Nebraska? I'm from Illinois which is just as adjacent as Nebraska. What are advantages and disadvantages of reciprocity?

I doubt there's much truth to this statement, reciprocity would only apply for undergrad. The "higher consideration" for midwestern states probably only comes as a result of more applicants wanting to be closer to home.

Hey, their website only has the Dakotas as reciprocity states. Was this just speculation (this idea that WI, IA, and NE are too) or do you actually know this? Also, why Nebraska? I'm from Illinois which is just as adjacent as Nebraska. What are advantages and disadvantages of reciprocity?

I'm from Minnesota so this is just from memory. I checked the u of mn website and I was almost correct.
Reciprocity agreement with : WI, ND, SD, and IA

Nebraska, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri are also in a tuition reduction agreement with minnesota through the midwest student exchange program.

sorry for the previously confusing information.

Reciprocity and the midwest exchange program are agreements between schools to allow enrollment of reciprocal state students for close to in-state price, so I would simply guess that Illinois decided not to take part in it.

There aren't any disadvantages to reciprocity. You pay close to in state tuition but you are not forced to attend or anything.
Remember though that it applies for undergraduate admissions and I am not quite sure whether that also applies for professional/grad schools...

And also, it probably appears that the reciprocity states, including Nebraska, WI, Dakotas get higher acceptance rates because many of the applicants from there did their undergrad at the U of MN or elsewhere in MN and the U of MN Med school likes especially their own undergrads but also others who are likely to stay here in MN after they graduate.

I doubt there's much truth to this statement, reciprocity would only apply for undergrad. The "higher consideration" for midwestern states probably only comes as a result of more applicants wanting to be closer to home.

That is more than likely the case ( about more applicants wanting to be closer to home).

I am from Colorado, have a 3.6 BPCM GPA, 30 MCAT (7V, 10B, 13,P)....got good EC's, etc...I just received a secondary from Minn-Twin Cities....you think I have a chance at all? Is it worth the time to complete the sec app and the $75...I do live in Minneapolis now, have for 4 mths, but am not a resident....any input would be much appreciated!!

I am from Colorado, have a 3.6 BPCM GPA, 30 MCAT (7V, 10B, 13,P)....got good EC's, etc...I just received a secondary from Minn-Twin Cities....you think I have a chance at all? Is it worth the time to complete the sec app and the $75...I do live in Minneapolis now, have for 4 mths, but am not a resident....any input would be much appreciated!!

I have heard rumors that they will not interview with an MCAT section being a 7 or less. I don't know if there's any truth to this statement but you may want to investigate to possibly save some money. At the same time, I know they're relatively rigorous with their primary screen, and plus why would they send you a secondary if they had that criteria. Anyone else?

I dont think actually that they have that rigorous of a screening. They are just VERY slow in sending out secondaries.

I think that the 7 could really hurt you, especially since you are officially OOS.

I'm from Minnesota so this is just from memory. I checked the u of mn website and I was almost correct.
Reciprocity agreement with : WI, ND, SD, and IA

Nebraska, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri are also in a tuition reduction agreement with minnesota through the midwest student exchange program.

sorry for the previously confusing information.

Reciprocity and the midwest exchange program are agreements between schools to allow enrollment of reciprocal state students for close to in-state price, so I would simply guess that Illinois decided not to take part in it.

There aren't any disadvantages to reciprocity. You pay close to in state tuition but you are not forced to attend or anything.
Remember though that it applies for undergraduate admissions and I am not quite sure whether that also applies for professional/grad schools...

For med school at UMN, only South Dakotans get reciprocity tuition. Us poor Wisconsinites only get instate tuition at UMN for undergrad...

For med school at UMN, only South Dakotans get reciprocity tuition. Us poor Wisconsinites only get instate tuition at UMN for undergrad...

Im guessing that if your med schools would give us reciprocity tuition, we would give you guys ;)

Hey guys,

I just received an interview invite at UMN-Twin Cities today :D Can anyone who has interviewed there share some tips?

I will be coming down from Canada (Toronto), so if anyone has suggestion as to where to stay, how to get to the campus, etc. .. it'll be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I have a question about the UMN status page for the secondary. All of my letters and rec forms are completed and they have received all of the supplementary materials (photo, signature sheet and $75) but my status page says my file is still incomplete. I have emailed them and called and left a message but have received no response. Has anybody else had this problem? MN is a top choice and I'd like to complete my secondary ASAP.
Thanks.

I have a question about the UMN status page for the secondary. All of my letters and rec forms are completed and they have received all of the supplementary materials (photo, signature sheet and $75) but my status page says my file is still incomplete. I have emailed them and called and left a message but have received no response. Has anybody else had this problem? MN is a top choice and I'd like to complete my secondary ASAP.
Thanks.

I had the same problem as well. It took them a few days to finally update my status and this was after I sent them a friendly reminder saying that they had received all the secondary materials and that my status still hadn't been updated to "complete" yet. Just hang in there, they take their time.

For all of you who interviewed, and were told you would hear back the 3rd week of January, do you know when we will hear back this week? I was thinking about giving them a call but I thought I'd ask here first!

:)

I heard from Dean White today!!!! Anyone else? :)

Congrats CheeseGirl. You planning on attending here?

Thanks.

I've emailed them about four times and called them just as many and haven't received any response. They're so d*mn slow.

I've emailed them about four times and called them just as many and haven't received any response. They're so d*mn slow.

There admissions office is impossible to deal with. If this helps, I had confirmation that I was complete by the guy there over the phone and it didn't show up on my status page for 2 weeks later.

Hey! Congratulations! I was just wondering which day you interviewed because I interviewed right at the end of December, and am not sure if I should have heard yet or not?!?

I heard from Dean White today!!!! Anyone else? :)

Hey! Congratulations cheesegirl! :) I was just wondering which day you interviewed because I interviewed right at the end of December, and am not sure if I should have heard yet or not?!?

Congrats CheeseGirl. You planning on attending here?

Thanks Minny! I am not sure--I have to choose between there and MCW (I am a Wisconsin resident). Any advice is appreciated! :)

Hey! Congratulations! I was just wondering which day you interviewed because I interviewed right at the end of December, and am not sure if I should have heard yet or not?!?

I interviewed December 11--didn't they tell you at your interview day when you would hear? My guess is you have a few more weeks. Good luck!

Is there a second look weekend for UMN?

Im a MN resident and I did my undergrad at the U of MN and graduated with a ~3.7 cumulative and ~3.8 BCMP GPA with a 32 mcat (vr9/ps14/bs9)... Due to a late primary application my secondary was just completed on 2/9!!! I hope I don't get shafted by being so late, I really want to stay here for med school. Anyone in-state with similar stats get interviews?

Im a MN resident and I did my undergrad at the U of MN and graduated with a ~3.7 cumulative and ~3.8 BCMP GPA with a 32 mcat (vr9/ps14/bs9)... Due to a late primary application my secondary was just completed on 2/9!!! I hope I don't get shafted by being so late, I really want to stay here for med school. Anyone in-state with similar stats get interviews?

if it makes you feel better i had a 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 bcmp, 30 mcat and i am out of state (and not a minority). you'll be fine--they just take a LONG time to get back to you but they have a late interview season. when i interviewed in december they said it was really early. good luck!!

if it makes you feel better i had a 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 bcmp, 30 mcat and i am out of state (and not a minority). you'll be fine--they just take a LONG time to get back to you but they have a late interview season. when i interviewed in december they said it was really early. good luck!!

What were your LOR's and EC's like?? I am an instater with virtually the same stats, but decided to take a year off, mainly because I was fearful that I would not make the cut. Any advice for applications next year? Thanks!

What were your LOR's and EC's like?? I am an instater with virtually the same stats, but decided to take a year off, mainly because I was fearful that I would not make the cut. Any advice for applications next year? Thanks!

I think my LOR's were good--I only had one "science" prof for physics and my other "science" was in my anthropology major, but the human bio concentration. I've been a CNA at a nursing home for a really long time and I've done research in Bolivia with health in an indigenous group. I am really involved with student government and have a big leadership role in it. I bet you'll be fine--just work on your personal statement and have a compelling reason for your choice to be a dr. :)

Has there been any activity from the UMN-TC admissions committee? I have decent stats but am coming from OOS and I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary. My boyfriend is considering taking a job in Minnesota so it would be a nice school to consider.

My interviewer told me they meet Wednesdays, and the phone calls from Dr. Becker seem to be arriving on Thursdays or Fridays based on some posts from about this years and last years cycle. So in other words, if there's any activity we'd find out today or tomorrow if someone from SDN gets the call. :)

When did you all interview?

I'm anxiously waiting as well.:luck:

My interviewer told me they meet Wednesdays, and the phone calls from Dr. Becker seem to be arriving on Thursdays or Fridays based on some posts from about this years and last years cycle. So in other words, if there's any activity we'd find out today or tomorrow if someone from SDN gets the call. :)

Actually the director of admissions is Paul White now. He's awesome. I know the U tried really really hard to get him to come to the U. I've also heard that people at Johns Hopkins are still mad that they lost Paul White to the U.

Dr. Becker hasn't been the Dean of Admissions for this whole application cycle as far as I know. I would expect a call from Paul White if anything.