2021-2022 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you more like to get off the waitlist if you were put on in September/October, like is it ranked by when you were placed on it. Or do they do a fresh review of applicants again?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you more like to get off the waitlist if you were put on in September/October, like is it ranked by when you were placed on it. Or do they do a fresh review of applicants again?
They do a fresh review of all waitlisted applicants, likely in late April or early May, where you can be directly accepted, rejected, or moved to the ranked alternate list. Chances should be pretty equal regardless of when you were waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay question. if I have to choose one school by May 2 and I hear back from UMN can I still switch out given that it is an acceptance? Or is the school I choose on AMCAS binding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay question. if I have to choose one school by May 2 and I hear back from UMN can I still switch out given that it is an acceptance? Or is the school I choose on AMCAS binding?
As long as your other school’s CTE deadline has not passed, you are able to stay on WLs and switch out your PTE if you are accepted!

Has anyone heard back from the 12/14 interview date?

They do a fresh review of all waitlisted applicants, likely in late April or early May, where you can be directly accepted, rejected, or moved to the ranked alternate list. Chances should be pretty equal regardless of when you were waitlisted.
Is there a decent amount directly accepted or are you pretty much waitlisted or rejected?

Is there a decent amount directly accepted or are you pretty much waitlisted or rejected?
I really can't say with any certainty, unfortunately. Last year, I think only 10-12 people were directly accepted at that point. Historically, there has been much more movement than there was last year, but I do think the goal is to have the majority of the WL movement come from the ranked alternate list.

As long as your other school’s CTE deadline has not passed, you are able to stay on WLs and switch out your PTE if you are accepted!
I've always been confused by the whole CTE versus PTE timeline. Am I understanding this correctly?

If School X's CTE deadline is June 1st and UMN's CTE deadline is June 30th, but I still haven't heard from UMN by June 1st (and I know I want to go to UMN over School X), then I have to drop School X for the potential chance that I'll be accepted to UMN?

I've always been confused by the whole CTE versus PTE timeline. Am I understanding this correctly?

If School X's CTE deadline is June 1st and UMN's CTE deadline is June 30th, but I still haven't heard from UMN by June 1st (and I know I want to go to UMN over School X), then I have to drop School X for the potential chance that I'll be accepted to UMN?
Yes, that’s correct. The CTE deadline requires that you commit to one school and drop all other MD acceptances and waitlists. (Versus the PTE deadline, when you can only have one acceptance but can stay on waitlists).

In your hypothetical situation, I would obviously recommend withdrawing from the WL school and taking the guaranteed acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, that’s correct. The CTE deadline requires that you commit to one school and drop all other MD acceptances and waitlists. (Versus the PTE deadline, when you can only have one acceptance but can stay on waitlists).

In your hypothetical situation, I would obviously recommend withdrawing from the WL school and taking the guaranteed acceptance.
Thank you! Glad I wasn't completely off. Can I DM you to ask a specific question about my situation?

Has anyone heard anything recently?

Are need-based scholarships usually given out before or with financial aid packages?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did Minnesota learn from last year's fiasco and will those on the waitlist actually find out about their status in early May?

Is it too late to apply for financial aid? I feel stupid because I haven’t done it yet… I haven’t been accepted though

You mean federal? And can you apply for financial aid from the University of Minnesota Medical School before acceptance?

Question for anyone that may know: So, this previous friday, they didn't send out any acceptances like they normally do every two weeks. Is this possibly a bad sign that they ran out of spots?

Question for anyone that may know: So, this previous friday, they didn't send out any acceptances like they normally do every two weeks. Is this possibly a bad sign that they ran out of spots?
I sure hope not but I guess there's no way to know definitively. I don't think they're even halfway through December interviewees yet.

I sure hope not but I guess there's no way to know definitively. I don't think they're even halfway through December interviewees yet.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I interviewed December 14th, so I am so nervous!! When did you interview?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I interviewed December 14th, so I am so nervous!! When did you interview?
The same week. I don't think I've ever wanted my phone to ring so badly haha.

Rejected from the WL. Really wanted to come back home, but thank goodness I have a spot for me in DC. Good luck to everyone still in the game!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Rejected from the WL. Really wanted to come back home, but thank goodness I have a spot for me in DC. Good luck to everyone still in the game!
Wow, I was waitlisted last Monday. I think you were waitlisted on that Friday, correct? I cannot believe they are rejecting from the waitlist already.

Rejected from wait list, interviewed early October

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Correct me if I am wrong, but Minnesota did not reject from the waitlist last cycle until May, correct?

Wow, I was waitlisted last Monday. I think you were waitlisted on that Friday, correct? I cannot believe they are rejecting from the waitlist already.
It is what it is. I'm still riding the high from my A yesterday so it's pretty bittersweet. Hope you come off the list with an A!!

• Care
Curious about this too, according to the AAMC traffic rules, schools are supposed to offer enough acceptances to equal their first year class by 3/15.
Oh what??? This is new to me, I had no idea. That doesn't sound like good news, noooooooooo

Reactions: 1 users
Oh what??? This is new to me, I had no idea. That doesn't sound like good news, noooooooooo
Considering no one past December has reported an A, only waitlist, does not seem good. I really thought they would do a better job with giving out acceptances as December is still relatively early.

Considering no one past December has reported an A, only waitlist, does not seem good. I really thought they would do a better job with giving out acceptances as December is still relatively early.
oh man, well this is scary. I may send them an email now to ask how its looking on their end

Reactions: 1 users
I think i will too. Which email would be best to send that to?
Im thinking [email protected] since that is the mail email they have listed. That seems like the best place to reach out :) I will update here as soon as I get a response

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
in the same position (with the exception of the location of my future school lol). honestly wasn't prepared for the rejection this early because of how late everything happened here last cycle according to the past threads

Rejected off waitlist and not taking it well. This was my dream.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Rejected off waitlist and not taking it well. This was my dream.
Oh gosh I am so sorry to hear this :( You got this next year for sure, don't give up!!

Reactions: 4 users
I could be reading it wrong! Maybe it’s more of guideline than a true hard and fast rule.
I interviewed mid-December and I believe they said they initially offer 200 acceptances. Their class size is ~175 (including MD/PhD) so even if they have offered enough to fill their class as of 3/15, there could still be a few more A's to come out before they waitlist everyone.

Wow sorry guys, December is really early to stop giving out As.

Bad news everyone :( All acceptance spots have been filled, and we are now all waiting to hear back only for either waitlist or rejection. I emailed the admissions staff and this is the response I got:

At this time we have granted all of our accept spots for the moment. The only decisions you will hear about are waitlist or reject. If you are placed on the waitlist you will hear more from us in May as candidates withdraw and accept spots at other schools.

Really feeling bummed. This sucks :(

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Bad news everyone :( All acceptance spots have been filled, and we are now all waiting to hear back only for either waitlist or rejection. I emailed the admissions staff and this is the response I got:

At this time we have granted all of our accept spots for the moment. The only decisions you will hear about are waitlist or reject. If you are placed on the waitlist you will hear more from us in May as candidates withdraw and accept spots at other schools.

Thanks for the update. I agree, this sucks. I think it’s a huge lack of integrity on behalf of the medical school. Especially since they told candidates from December they were interviewing for a accept, waitlist, or deny decision both in the interview email and on interview day (at least the day I interviewed). Very disappointed to hear this.

Wow...thanks for reaching out. Guess this means I better start cranking out this potential reapplication.

They said the same thing to me, and that I should hear back about W/R by the end of next week

• Sad