This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you agree?

• Total voters

ManicMonster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exams completed. ECFMG certified. No gaps in between and have remained consistent with work in the health field relative to gaining clinical experience.

I have called numerous programs where the program directors/coordinators have straight said over the phone "I have not had a chance to check all the applications. They are filtered. It's impossible to see everything."

Future doctors are being chosen based on a filtering system which is amazing to me. They trust an algorithm that has no justification behind its choices besides a couple numbers. This is absurd!

I am not mad. I, myself did not match. I am disheartened but mostly frustrated because they're thousands of us out here and nothing is being done about it. They tried to pass an act last year regarding resident shortage, and it barely passed phase 1.

They're numerous friends of mine who are in such debt from medical school alone, I can't begin to imagine the struggle that the application fees have added to that number. Year by year, especially FMG/IMG candidates who have to apply to a significant amount of programs just to get 1 interview. This whole system is designed for failure. There MUST be another route.

Side note: This whole COVID pandemic is becoming even more serious and they are complaining about deficiency in doctors? None of this makes sense. At the end of the day, it's about filling those elite pockets with more money, and what really matters is considered to be a joke. Not funny!

My vent of the day! I am praying for those in these rough times. Please don't get depressed or discouraged. We are in this rat race together and we will overcome it. Whether it's by getting a position or creating a different outlet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This system generates millions of dollars. It will never change until the whole of health care changes. If you are eligible to vote, use your vote to make change.

Reactions: 1 user
The deficiency is coming in from outside the US. What are your scores? Multiple attempts? What specialty did you apply and how many programs?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the dilemma. It is challenging for all of us. I am a US-AMG who has failed a step. I have tried to SOAP for 3 years now. I am trying to soap into Internal medicine. The first year, I did not match I applied to do a research job and worked in clinic at night to get patient care. I completed Step 3, scoring nothing special, but completed it. I also got publications in bacteria skin flora treatments and dementia protocol changes.

Overall, I have learned so much from the research, met some incredible people and got to contribute to society again. Will it help me match into residency, probably not. Will I ever be given a chance to match into residency, again doubtful. Will I ever get to see my dream of being a practicing physician in Internal medicine, again, probably not. I am an AMG with lots of debt and no ability to pay it back. I have even self funded my own state license, so that is not a hindrance in the future. But no one offers any advice, other than jokingly a time machine. Which, I do appreciate the humor, because we all need a laugh at times.

Just realize, you are not alone. The system is based on numbers, it isn't a personal thing. There is nothing wrong with you. Everything is really about if you are a good fit for the program you apply to at that time. If it is what you want, don't give up, keep trying and ask for constructive feedback to improve. You can do it, given enough time and effort.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand the dilemma. It is challenging for all of us. I am a US-AMG who has failed a step. I have tried to SOAP for 3 years now. I am trying to soap into Internal medicine. The first year, I did not match I applied to do a research job and worked in clinic at night to get patient care. I completed Step 3, scoring nothing special, but completed it. I also got publications in bacteria skin flora treatments and dementia protocol changes.

Overall, I have learned so much from the research, met some incredible people and got to contribute to society again. Will it help me match into residency, probably not. Will I ever be given a chance to match into residency, again doubtful. Will I ever get to see my dream of being a practicing physician in Internal medicine, again, probably not. I am an AMG with lots of debt and no ability to pay it back. I have even self funded my own state license, so that is not a hindrance in the future. But no one offers any advice, other than jokingly a time machine. Which, I do appreciate the humor, because we all need a laugh at times.

Just realize, you are not alone. The system is based on numbers, it isn't a personal thing. There is nothing wrong with you. Everything is really about if you are a good fit for the program you apply to at that time. If it is what you want, don't give up, keep trying and ask for constructive feedback to improve. You can do it, given enough time and effort.
Apply to fm and prelims, you are messing up by insisting on IM

Match day really brings out the saddest stories..