UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh shoot.
Just got their email.
ACCEPTED.

March 14th Marked Complete. Literally just got the email when I just posted. Holy crap.
cGPA and sGPA somewhere else in here. 509 MCAT.
Freaking out right now.

Wow I just got suddenly 100x more anxious about everything! I was marked complete on the 12th and I have similar stats as you. Congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted just 1 hour ago.

Application completed 2/16/17

MCAT: 510
cGPA: ~3.3

Applied this cycle to MD school but got rejected at the 2 spots I interviewed at. Definitely felt that GPA was the thing I needed to improve upon the most. Also applied to the Tech program and have an interview tomorrow morning. Probably just going to just decline.

Completely understand! I have been rejected from other programs as well and felt lost on my next steps. After communicating with multiple staff and students in the program I know it's my best option but also have to remember a rejection is not a finite "no" it's just a "not right now." This has helped me to not stay in the dark place where rejection left me. It's a hard pill to swallow because I'm BEYOND ready to get started on this new path. We have to remember this program is NOT our LAST chance because if we truly believe we were created to serve this world as Physicians, there IS another way and we cannot give up if we do not get accepted into this particular program. With that being said, I hope you get that acceptance email!

Thank you for the positivity! I didn't mean to sound so pessimistic, it's just hard being in limbo. Best of luck to us both!

Congrats to @Aurarice @haPyc00kie @I'mTheDoctor @heyitandrew ! Movement is definitely a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who was accepted!! My application was marked complete on February 27th and my application status still just says "Application". Should I call them tomorrow to see what's up?

So our Summer semester is online, meaning if we live out of state we can stay home until Fall?

So our Summer semester is online, meaning if we live out of state we can stay home until Fall?

Per FB page, orientations leaders: "It depends on if it remains online. Ours was online so some chose to wait to move."

Per FB page, orientations leaders: "It depends on if it remains online. Ours was online so some chose to wait to move."

I really hope they decide to make the courses class room based. I know many med schools do not consider online courses to hold the same weight as lecture based. The world is changing and online courses can be just as rigorous, but adcoms don't always agree.

I really hope they decide to make the courses class room based. I know many med schools do not consider online courses to hold the same weight as lecture based. The world is changing and online courses can be just as rigorous, but adcoms don't always agree.
The other classes (Fall/Spring) will all be class room based, I believe.

Not necessarily. There are a number of in-person workshops on campus that are mandatory during the first few weeks of the summer semester, and if you have to take the MCAT/DAT prep course, those are done in-person. Don't bank on being able to wait to move.

Reactions: 1 users
Not necessarily. There are a number of in-person workshops on campus that are mandatory during the first few weeks of the summer semester, and if you have to take the MCAT/DAT prep course, those are done in-person. Don't bank on being able to wait to move.

So, do most students move to Fort Worth just a few days before the orientation?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

There will be apartment reps at orientation.
Personally I think I'm gonna get it from one of them unless I get contacted ahead of time by someone who wants to room with me. (Also asking some friends who attended the program where they lived at)

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be apartment reps at orientation.
Personally I think I'm gonna get it from one of them unless I get contacted ahead of time by someone who wants to room with me. (Also asking some friends who attended the program where they lived at)

Are you talking about the actual orientation at the end of May or Discover MyHSC Day? I'm trying to figure out when to put in my two weeks notice for work.
So I guess my question is, when do the summer classes start?

Are you talking about the actual orientation at the end of May or Discover MyHSC Day? I'm trying to figure out when to put in my two weeks notice for work.
So I guess my question is, when do the summer classes start?

I think orientation has the reps too.
Orientation is 23 to 25, classes start on the 30th.

i'm super happy for everyone who got accepted, but the rest of us are at a point where we want to shoot the people who applied to this program with a 3.7gpa and a 512 mcat. go to DO school, you will get in. Please leave seats for the needy.

Reactions: 3 users
I got admitted and now I'm unsure whether this is a smart move. I talked to TCOM admissions staff and they said that the med sci program's difficulty is no joke; some med sci students would have been accepted based on their undergrad credentials, but their poor performance during med sci caused them rejection. She actually suggested taking his gap year to work and applying without med sci grades in case I get in without a graduate GPA to offset my undergrad. Have yall heard anything similar?

I got admitted and now I'm unsure whether this is a smart move. I talked to TCOM admissions staff and they said that the med sci program's difficulty is no joke; some med sci students would have been accepted based on their undergrad credentials, but their poor performance during med sci caused them rejection. She actually suggested taking his gap year to work and applying without med sci grades in case I get in without a graduate GPA to offset my undergrad. Have yall heard anything similar?
Hey guys, i'm a current medsci, and I can tell you that if you can do well in this program then you'll do well in med school. Honestly, if you can't do well in this program then you may want to reconsider doing medical school/dental/or PA. The classes are essentially the same as first year medical/dental school, so if this workload/information is too much for you then maybe look in other directions, but i'm pretty sure everyone applying/in the program is pretty ready to be able to handle everything! A huge chunk of our class was accepted to TCOM. I will be starting dental school at a&m in the fall, and this program made a huge difference plus you will definitely be ahead when it comes time to start studying for medical school/dental school. The biostats class was online, but we had a few different workshops through out the summer. I believe we had to go to 3/4 of the workshops to get credit. If you are doing dental and have to do the DAT prep, it's online, but if you have to do MCAT prep, it's in class. hope this helps!
Also, it's good experience for learning how to balance life and professional school. I have managed to maintain a great social life, and while we have one more class, I should be graduating with around a 3.7! Y'all can do it!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, i'm a current medsci, and I can tell you that if you can do well in this program then you'll do well in med school. Honestly, if you can't do well in this program then you may want to reconsider doing medical school/dental/or PA. The classes are essentially the same as first year medical/dental school, so if this workload/information is too much for you then maybe look in other directions, but i'm pretty sure everyone applying/in the program is pretty ready to be able to handle everything! A huge chunk of our class was accepted to TCOM. I will be starting dental school at a&m in the fall, and this program made a huge difference plus you will definitely be ahead when it comes time to start studying for medical school/dental school. The biostats class was online, but we had a few different workshops through out the summer. I believe we had to go to 3/4 of the workshops to get credit. If you are doing dental and have to do the DAT prep, it's online, but if you have to do MCAT prep, it's in class. hope this helps!
Also, it's good experience for learning how to balance life and professional school. I have managed to maintain a great social life, and while we have one more class, I should be graduating with around a 3.7! Y'all can do it!
Thanks for the advice! What were your stats when you applied to UNT? And do a lot of dental students get accepted to the program? Im getting so ansty because many med students who applied well after I did already heard back and they haven't even review my app

Thanks for the advice! What were your stats when you applied to UNT? And do a lot of dental students get accepted to the program? Im getting so ansty because many med students who applied well after I did already heard back and they haven't even review my app

Hi! There was maybe like 10 or so of us! Not a ton of us, but i think that'a partly just because it's mostly people hoping for med school that apply to the program. Don't be discourage! They want some dental and PA students. But pretty much all of us that applied got into dental school this year. I got into a&m and houston, and i attribute that to this program. I had a 3.7 gpa and 19/18 pat dat coming in. I retook my dat after the prep course and made a 20 aa/21 pat.

Hi! There was maybe like 10 or so of us! Not a ton of us, but i think that'a partly just because it's mostly people hoping for med school that apply to the program. Don't be discourage! They want some dental and PA students. But pretty much all of us that applied got into dental school this year. I got into a&m and houston, and i attribute that to this program. I had a 3.7 gpa and 19/18 pat dat coming in. I retook my dat after the prep course and made a 20 aa/21 pat.
Oh yikes! 10?! That's hardly anything. I got a 21 on my DAT but only a 3.4 so I'm not feeling confident about my chances this late in the game. Congrats on getting into Houston and A&M tho! Those two are my top choices.

Hey friends, just wanted to update that I just checked my application status right now and it had the "Congratulations" message! I didn't receive an email from them, so I'm guessing they sometimes update their portal before sending out an email? I'm really happy to hear this good news, as I've had a lot of setbacks in undergrad so hopefully, this opportunity will provide me a chance to redeem myself. I wish the best of luck for people waiting to hear back and if anyone has any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask me on this thread or to even private message me!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey friends, just wanted to update that I just checked my application status right now and it had the "Congratulations" message! I didn't receive an email from them, so I'm guessing they sometimes update their portal before sending out an email? I'm really happy to hear this good news, as I've had a lot of setbacks in undergrad so hopefully, this opportunity will provide me a chance to redeem myself. I wish the best of luck for people waiting to hear back and if anyone has any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask me on this thread or to even private message me!
The admissions committee met today. They MAY send emails out later today.

I think most do, yes. I was already living in Fort Worth, but most people who were moving came at least the weekend before orientation started. Now depending on where you're from, it might be possible to just commute up to fort worth for a few weeks during the mandatory stuff if you don't have to do the mcat/dat prep course. If you live in Dallas, you could probably do the commuting thing if you are able to opt out of the prep course and don't want to take the refreser biochem course. For our current class, you could opt out of the mcat course if you had a 505 or higher, I believe. That number may change though, based on the average admission stats for this next medical school class, because that's what it is based on.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, what a relief to know what you will be doing for the next year:soexcited:!!!
I've been "complete" since mid-Feb and under the "being reviewed" status for over three weeks now. I'm trying to remain positive, it's difficult especially when people who applied after me are getting accepted and this is just the people posting on SDN. I NEED your positive vibes guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Woo! Just got accepted!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, what a relief to know what you will be doing for the next year:soexcited:!!!
I've been "complete" since mid-Feb and under the "being reviewed" status for over three weeks now. I'm trying to remain positive, it's difficult especially when people who applied after me are getting accepted and this is just the people posting on SDN. I NEED your positive vibes guys!

Stay positive, I believe in you!

Congrats to @Allie1001 and @shelbybro!

@Felosofer Depends on your current stats. I'm trying to best improve my application through the program, but I'm not sure whether I should apply this cycle (With the little tick clicked for "In an SMP") or if I should hold off until I'm done with the program.

Right there with ya! I've been on "Currently under review" and "Defer Decision" for the past month as well. I'm going to try to keep my mind occupied with work and limit my e-mail checking to only 20x per day :p
Staying positive until further notice

Predental student here, I just got accepted!

GPA 3.4

DAT 19AA/20PAT

App completed: 3/14

So my portal finally updated and it says "deferred" does that mean I am being waitlisted?

I think most do, yes. I was already living in Fort Worth, but most people who were moving came at least the weekend before orientation started. Now depending on where you're from, it might be possible to just commute up to fort worth for a few weeks during the mandatory stuff if you don't have to do the mcat/dat prep course. If you live in Dallas, you could probably do the commuting thing if you are able to opt out of the prep course and don't want to take the refreser biochem course. For our current class, you could opt out of the mcat course if you had a 505 or higher, I believe. That number may change though, based on the average admission stats for this next medical school class, because that's what it is based on.

Thank you for the reply! They told us at Discover MyHSC Day that the MCAT prep course cutoff will be 507 this year.

So my portal finally updated and it says "deferred" does that mean I am being waitlisted?

That just means that the adcoms haven't reached a decision on your application - essentially the decision to admit/reject has been deferred in that another set of adcoms will look at it.

I was catching up on the thread's activity over the past few days and I wanted to update y'all with the information I got from the MyHSC.

Orientation is from the 23rd to 25th; however, the 23rd is strictly for international students so it will be the 24th to 25th for most people.

Classes begin on the 30th and the typical schedule looks like a 8-5pm kind of day with seminars, MCAT review (if you opt to do so), etc.

Although the MCAT cut-off hasn't been strictly set, Dr. Gwirtz (Assistant Dean) said that they're leaning towards anything between 507-508 and below are required to take the MCAT prep course.

If you guys are planning on buying new tech (laptop/tablet) - don't there's a required tech-package for the program. Last year's was a $4000 apple package for $2000.

Biostatistics is the only course this summer that counts towards your GPA - it will be an online based course with your exams in-class.

There is an optional biochemistry course offered in the summer - Dr. Gwirtz mentioned that this is most useful for students that are not science majors/haven't been exposed to biochemistry yet - very basic level.

Hope this helps for those that were wondering!

Reactions: 3 users
I was catching up on the thread's activity over the past few days and I wanted to update y'all with the information I got from the MyHSC.

Orientation is from the 23rd to 25th; however, the 23rd is strictly for international students so it will be the 24th to 25th for most people.

Classes begin on the 30th and the typical schedule looks like a 8-5pm kind of day with seminars, MCAT review (if you opt to do so), etc.

Although the MCAT cut-off hasn't been strictly set, Dr. Gwirtz (Assistant Dean) said that they're leaning towards anything between 507-508 and below are required to take the MCAT prep course.

If you guys are planning on buying new tech (laptop/tablet) - don't there's a required tech-package for the program. Last year's was a $4000 apple package for $2000.

Biostatistics is the only course this summer that counts towards your GPA - it will be an online based course with your exams in-class.

There is an optional biochemistry course offered in the summer - Dr. Gwirtz mentioned that this is most useful for students that are not science majors/haven't been exposed to biochemistry yet - very basic level.

What if your school doesn't get out till like mid-June? I haven't called the admissions office yet regarding this, but I'm worried about the May 30th start date.

What if your school doesn't get out till like mid-June? I haven't called the admissions office yet regarding this, but I'm worried about the May 30th start date.

Luckily the main course is online but you'll have missed like two weeks worth of info sessions, seminars, and MCAT studying (if you decide to take the prep course) - but just to be safe, I'd call in for details and see if you can figure something out.

Pre-dent student here...accepted yesterday!

cGPA: 3.2
DAT: 19 AA

App completed 2/17

Just to clarify, are all of the summer classes starting May 30 online (besides the MCAT course)? And DAT prep course is online? Trying to follow in the threads but see different responses. Congrats to all of those accepted and fingers crossed to those who applied and are still waiting!

App completed 2/17

Just to clarify, are all of the summer classes starting May 30 online (besides the MCAT course)? And DAT prep course is online? Trying to follow in the threads but see different responses. Congrats to all of those accepted and fingers crossed to those who applied and are still waiting!

To my knowledge, both my MCAT and DAT prep courses are in-classroom. As for the summer classes, the summer consists of Biostatistics, (Optional) Biochemistry, 40+ hours of Non-Emergency physician shadowing (Clinical Preceptorship), and some in-person workshops/seminars.

Do y'all think it would be feasible for me to wait until Fall to move to Fort Worth? During the summer I can live with my parents 3 hours away from UNTHSC. I don't plan on retaking the MCAT, and am happy to skip on biochem if it means saving myself all that money (and thus saving the time it would take to earn that money) on living expenses.

Per an email I just received specifically regarding NSO:
"We are excited to welcome you to the UNTHSC community. New Student Orientation is May 23-25, 2017. International students have an additional day of orientation on May 22, 2017. Please visit the New Student Orientation website for details and itinerary. All orientation activities are mandatory. Please do not schedule any other activities during this time."

Do y'all think it would be feasible for me to wait until Fall to move to Fort Worth? During the summer I can live with my parents 3 hours away from UNTHSC. I don't plan on retaking the MCAT, and am happy to skip on biochem if it means saving myself all that money (and thus saving the time it would take to earn that money) on living expenses.

Check on the FB group and message one of the UNT staff. I do not yet know whether or not the Biostats course will be entirely online, and I have no clue about the Clinical Practice Preceptorship.

They said during the MyHSC day that the biostats course would be entirely online - but nothing is official until we get an email and/or are told during orientation. If this is the case, I'd say it is viable, but keep in mind that if you move in later and sign a 8-9 month apartment contract, the rates will be higher than if it were a year long contract. One example would be the jump from $1300/mo. for a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment to a $1450-1500/mo.

To my knowledge, both my MCAT and DAT prep courses are in-classroom. As for the summer classes, the summer consists of Biostatistics, (Optional) Biochemistry, 40+ hours of Non-Emergency physician shadowing (Clinical Preceptorship), and some in-person workshops/seminars.

Do you know if there's an option to choose what kind of docs to shadow?

Yes, you will be given the option to choose your own primary care physician to shadow for the preceptorship. There is a list of doctors that previous MedSci students have used and you will be given the list during orientation. You can also choose a primary care physician that is not on the list if you receive approval by the administrators. You will learn about this at orientation..

It is possible to do this. However, there are workshops throughout the summer that you will need to attend and the final exam for the biostatistics course is in class.

Thanks for all the useful info! Do you know by chance what time the in-person classes will typically be? My
job doesn't end till the second week of classes, and I'd have a lot of trouble moving to Fort Worth before then. I can commute from Dallas if the hours aren't too bad.

Also, random but is there a last day for withdrawing from the program in case other acceptances come in?

Thanks for all the useful info! Do you know by chance what time the in-person classes will typically be? My
job doesn't end till the second week of classes, and I'd have a lot of trouble moving to Fort Worth before then. I can commute from Dallas if the hours aren't too bad.

Also, random but is there a last day for withdrawing from the program in case other acceptances come in?

The course schedule hasn't been finalized yet so everything is up in the air for now. If it helps, from glancing at what they did have, the workshops and whatnot were mostly during the morning time till maybe 1-2 since MCAT workshops were afterwards.

I think you can withdraw from the program whenever - whether or not you get a tuition refund is a different story. In fact, if you get accepted into medical school during the program, they encourage you to withdraw and go to medical school.

They said they'll take any previous experience of physician shadowing (40+ hours) as long as it's not Emergency Room shadowing - since it's not an accurate description of what the daily routine of a physician is.

I am a current medsci, and our DAT course was on tuesday/thursdays ONLINE. Biostats is all online except for the final exam, which was early august.

App completed 2/17