Uof Illinois acceptances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorrin

the ninth doctor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am suffering waiting for a response from the adcom - post interview. I heard that they raised their standards this year so.... :rolleyes:

For any of you who have been accepted would you please mind sharing your mcat/gpa for those of us still in limbo?

thanks tons!

Members don't see this ad.

well, the university of illinois med school uses an equation system to make decisions about interviews and acceptances. GPAs and MCATs factor into this, of course, but many other things, like publications and # of ECs, factor in heavily as well. so a particular GPA/MCAT combination is no guarantee of anything, good OR bad, and why everyone's situation will count differently.

sorry if this doesn't help you at all.

Hi sandflea,

You gave me some great info on my other posts too! It's nice to see another chitowner on here. :)

I guess I really knew how stats, ec's and interview factor into the yes/no/maybe, but I was trying to gauge where I *might* be in the line-up. It's probably fruitless, so I guess I'll just shut-up and wait like everyone else. :D

Thanks for replying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've talked to a couple of current UIC students, both of whom have been involved in the admissions process. They told me that admissions is based upon a score derived from your MCAT, GPA, letters, essay, EC's and interview. However, their opinion was that the MCAT and GPA were of primary importance. One of them even told me that if you have a 33+ MCAT and a decent GPA (3.5 or above) you're almost guaranteed admission. He may have been exagerating a little, but I still think that the point that MCAT and GPA are of primary importance is true. With a class size that large, there's just no way they could really evaluate everyone fairly. Both guys also said that the interview is pretty much a formality, and holds very little weight unless you totally blow it, or you are right on the edge.

Anyhow, I was also accepted, with a 33+ MCAT and 3.5+ GPA. So, their words turned out to be true for me. Of course, that doesn't mean that they only accept those people...because there's no way they could fill a class with high numbers like that.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be discouraging...since I'm sure that having interviewed as early as you have that you'll do fine.

Good luck,

Adam

but i think i'm living proof that MCATs/GPAs aren't the main factor in admission. I've made a point of not sharing my stats on here, but i will say that although my MCAT scores are decent, my undergraduate science GPA is less than stellar. as a result, i think it's the things i've done since undergrad that made the difference for me, considering the first time i applied, with these same undergrad stats, UIC didn't even interview me. but since they rejected me the first time, i've published several papers (most first author), nearly completed a masters, and done some more volunteer work. UIC is somewhat unique in that they will average undergrad GPAs with graduate and interview/admit/reject based on that 'composite' GPA (many, if not most, schools make decisions based on undergrad stats), but even still, my science GPA is pathetic. so my point is that i feel it's the other things (mainly my publications, which i was told hold a lot of weight at UIC) that made the difference.

anyway, like rumit said, considering you interviewed pretty early, you have plenty of time to be admitted. good luck to you, shorrin, and keep us posted on any news!

adam, sandflea,

Well, it seems that both of you have made at least a little sense out this seemingly senseless process at uic. Thanks for your input!

sandflea, I think what you say is right-on and it's good to know, since my stats are borderline at best, that my ec's and work-experience hold decent weight. I think also, that too much emphasis is placed on stats on sdn sometimes. An issue that I should not have contributed to, but I guess we can't very well gauge ec's against each other... ;)

Thanks, guys for your encouragement. I wish you both lots of luck as well!! Do you know where you are going yet? Just wondering...

Shorrin,

The fact that they raised the bar for receiving an invite means you have the numbers!! I will be attending UIC next fall and my numbers aren't like the ones you run into on just about every SDN post (>33MCAT, >3.9gpa), although I don't have substandard numbers either. Your experiences will carry you through from this point on, assuming you interviewed well. I think the most important thing you can do is be patient and know you have a greater likelihood of getting in than not. If it is your first choice, send the dean an email expressing your intent to attend if you are given the opportunity. Even if you are waitlisted (which you won't be but just in case!) your correspondence with the admissions office may hold some weight in the future. Hope things work out for you, I'm pulling for you! :D

MedPuck,

You are the BEST!! :D

Thanks for your encouragement! I hope I'll see you there next fall...

If my class is half made up of sdn type people I'll be jumpin' for joy!

Right you guys,
first off thanks for all your words of encouragement!! Second this is what I found out today:

just to recap I interviewed 12/12.
The lady I spoke with said that my interview "went fine" whatever that means. I was reviewed in dec. and then again in jan. and I'll be reviewed again in feb. ARRGGG aren't there laws about cruelty and torture?!?

I squeezed some policy info from them:
They do reject post-interview, so I guess they don't dislike me too much, since I'm still in the running. ;(

They won't compile a "waitlist" until may.

so, there's my UIC update.
Back to you folks...

We're all pulling for you!
Hope you'll be one of my classmates.

Keep calling them, showing your interest counts!!!

I'm also involved (to a small degree) with admissions at UIC. This is what I know.

Those who were interviewed were screened on numbers alone. For all intents and purposes, your numbers are okay if you got the interview. At that point, it goes to the interview (we judge on a number scale for a variety of attributes, and then give a final score); the essays; the overall "gestalt" of a candidate (which includes numbers, but my feeling is that it weighs more heavily on other things at this point in the process).

The Jan admissions cycle will most likely close the Chicago campus. Thus, if you do get admitted, and would like to attend at chicago, I suggest you turn in the forms ASAP after receiving them.

Trust me, there are NO guarantees. That means that if your numbers aren't fantastic, you still have a chance. And if your numbers are fantastic, you also needed good essays and interview.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you. I am writing this because I remember what it was like to be in the position of not knowing, and that really is the hardest part.

i got accepted in dec with an average mcat and science gpa. i did have a lot of ec work though. so, although mcat and gpa are important, i dont think they would discard an applicant solely on those merits. i agree with previous posts: if you get to the interview, they want you and it is only a matter of time.

Ahhh, after such disappointing news you guys have managed to cheer me up :) . Thanks! DOD I sure do hope I'll be in your class too!

Here's hoping for happy news in february (or march, or april or... ;) )!

Good luck to you all too!

Hey guys, I just got my acceptance letter from UIC last week...my first one...I've got an above average GPA and MCAT score by the way, with decent amount of extra curriculars and voluteer work.

Now, I don't know if I'll get in anywhere else (I'm waiting on a few schools still), but I was just wondering how you guys felt about the school and if you are choosing it over schools with better reputations and why? Also, what do you know about the other campuses? I would love to live in Chicago (I'm from the suburbs and know all chi-town has to ofter plus the convinience of being close to home!), but I've heard better things about Chapaign/Peoria/Rockford track for primary care.

when did you interview and also can you post your exact stats (if you don't mind). and to add another question... what day did you find out last week. I've been waiting to hear from them for a while and its been driving me insane.

Originally posted by drjo2002:
• Now, I don't know if I'll get in anywhere else (I'm waiting on a few schools still), but I was just wondering how you guys felt about the school and if you are choosing it over schools with better reputations and why? Also, what do you know about the other campuses? I would love to live in Chicago (I'm from the suburbs and know all chi-town has to ofter plus the convinience of being close to home!), but I've heard better things about Chapaign/Peoria/Rockford track for primary care.•••

congrats on your acceptance. unfortunately, from what i've heard the chicago campus is already full, or extremely close to being closed out. so the other two tracks may be your only options anyway. peoria and rockford--rockford especially--are more primary-care oriented than the chicago campus, so if that's your interest, you may be better off going there anyway. i personally wanted to learn in an urban hospital, so chicago was the perfect fit for me. the structure of the first two years at the other campuses is different as well...more organ-based than the traditional series of lectures found at the chicago campus, from what i understand.

initially i really wasn't very interested in the school, but i was a LOT more impressed with it that i expected to be. i work at a hospital and many of the doctors i work with have nothing but high praise for it. the university of IL medical system has a good reputation even outside of the midwest, and so in terms of academics, it's definitely not a bad choice to make. not to mention the fact that it's cheaper! whether or not you choose it over schools with better reputations (i'd be curious to know which ones you're considering) is really a personal choice. my impression is that med school is more what you make of it than what school you ultimately attend.

good luck!

I sent in my site preference for chicago already...just in case that was what I wanted because I know it closes first. I don't know that it was sent in time though, I have heard the same thing about Chicago almost being closed though. I figured if I got into chicago and changed my mind I could switch rather easily, but it would be near impossible the other way around.

I fell in love with Case Western when I visited, but I've been put in the "hold" catagory, and I don't know how excited I am about living in Ohio and paying their tuition. Also, I really liked Northwestern, but I know they aren't big on primary care, also I won't be hearing from them for another month, plus there is that large tuition again! There are a few other schools that I haven't heard from, but I don't know how I feel about them really yet. Money is kind of an object to me because I've paid my own tuition all through undergrad and will have to continue to do so...luckily I've only racked up about $20,000
in subsidized staffords and perkins loans so far, even at 25-30k/year private school.