UOP Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who got waitlist, does it say in the letter how many people are or will be on the waitlist?
No, it didn't. I'm guessing ~ 50 or so.

lol, when you turn in your waitlist form, just imagine you are accepting your rejection - chances are you aren't getting in.
I don't know. My pharmacy manager is a recent graduate of UOP. She got in off of the waitlist at the last minute. A friend of mine who currently attends UOP has some colleagues that were accepted off of the waitlist too.

Members don't see this ad.

No, it didn't. I'm guessing ~ 50 or so.

I don't know. My pharmacy manager is a recent graduate of UOP. She got in off of the waitlist at the last minute. A friend of mine who currently attends UOP has some colleagues that were accepted off of the waitlist too.

i'm not trying to put your hopes down but i also was waitlisted top of the waitlist last year. It really depends on how many people are on the waitlist. I'm guessing the waitlist will grow to ~100. Last year I was told there would be around 50 on the waitlist. One to two months later it had grown to about 100. So that means the top portion would consist of 30 applicants. So the question is if you are on the top portion of the waitlist, are you at the top of the top or the bottom of the top? Unfortunately, I found out late August of course I was at the bottom. And of course, it gets competitive each and every year that goes by so the waitlist gets bigger and the chances of someone dropping their seat gets smaller. I'm not trying to be pessimestic but just realistic. I had my hopes high last year thinking I had a chance because I was on the top portion of the wait list. But hey, looking at the bright side , those on the top portion of the waitlist might be #1-10. Good luck to everyone, including me.

and yes, i got the dreaded waitlist letter today....sigh

What could cause people to give up their seats? :confused: The only thing I can think of is: they apply to more than one schools, and they choose other schools over UOP. I don't think people would give up because of financial issue because before they apply, they already know the cost. Even though there are some people giving up their seats, I guess they have told the school earlier already. Why would they wait until so late?:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What could cause people to give up their seats? :confused: The only thing I can think of is: they apply to more than one schools, and they choose other schools over UOP. I don't think people would give up because of financial issue because before they apply, they already know the cost. Even though there are some people giving up their seats, I guess they have told the school earlier already. Why would they wait until so late?:rolleyes:

Maybe a cause for ppl to choose other schools would be the increase in tuition. My friends from UOP pharmacy school have told me that tuition is being increased by approximately 12%...so that could be a factor...

I went to the UOP open house this year and one of the questions a person asked Veronica, the admin person that spoke, was how many people get off the waitlist. I'm pretty sure that she said, very few people get off of it. The reason I'm thinking is that all the top candidates that could of gotten into other schools know early on if they got in somewhere else by March, hence the couple of posts here from people that they are giving up their seats to attend UCSF or USC. So by the time March/April rolls around I would think a lot of the people not taking a seat have already done so. They probably take extra people than slots available, so getting people off the waiting list might be hard. But being in the top of the waiting list, I wouldn't lose hope. I know of two people that got into pharmacy schools, literally 2 weeks before school started, so it does happen.

My friend had an excellent interview and things to go so well. They told him how much they liked him and how he was an excellent candidate for pharmacy. Everything seemed so positive and he got a letter of rejection in the mail. Not even a letter stating that he was on the waiting list. It said in the letter not to inquire about why he was rejected. Now I am wonder what that was all about.

I applied to the program last year and received a "towards the middle of the waitlist" letter. I called them during the summer to ask them how I could improve my application and they told me that they couldn't find anything negative to say about my application.. a "strong applicant but we just had so many great applicants this application cycle". I was confident this time around.. having some more things to add my application.. only to find out that I was rejected (interviewed in jan). :( oh well whatever

I applied to the program last year and received a "towards the middle of the waitlist" letter. I called them during the summer to ask them how I could improve my application and they told me that they couldn't find anything negative to say about my application.. a "strong applicant but we just had so many great applicants this application cycle". I was confident this time around.. having some more things to add my application.. only to find out that I was rejected (interviewed in jan). :( oh well whatever

Hey, I got a rejection letter too!!! Only in my case I am confident it was my interview that secured me such a letter!!! Seriously, I was so nervous I could barely speak. And some of my answers... And my faculty interviewer was yawning while I was talking:sleep:. (He did not try to hide it either - not very professional don't you think?) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Always sucks to be getting rejected. I did not mind this one though, probably because I got into pharmacy school already and did not like the idea of 3 year program to begin with. To all of you with waithing list letters => good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

Does anyone know how many people were pulled from the waitlist last year? And the year before?

Hi

I have been placed toward middle portion of the wait list.. and I have a question. It says that you need t return updated transcripts reflecting all course work completed, in addition to the wait list request form. Does this mean that you need to send official transcript to UOP NOW?? I have sent in my official transcript after my fall semester grades were updated ..
Or are they saying that they want us to send in official transcripts once fall semester grades are updated?

Thanks!

Hi

I have been placed toward middle portion of the wait list.. and I have a question. It says that you need t return updated transcripts reflecting all course work completed, in addition to the wait list request form. Does this mean that you need to send official transcript to UOP NOW?? I have sent in my official transcript after my fall semester grades were updated ..
Or are they saying that they want us to send in official transcripts once fall semester grades are updated?

Thanks!

I just sent the "waitlist request form."

does uop send acceptance emails to those who have been accepted?

the mail-man didnt bring me any news today :confused:

Hi

Thanks!

Hi alswl, when did you received your letter? man i haven't heard anything

Hi alswl, when did you received your letter? man i haven't heard anything

Hey,

I received my letter in Berkeley, CA. It was dated 3/26 and it arrived while I was gone for the spring break. Don't worry, you should be hearing from them soon too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter today from UOP, asking to reconfirm my spot, any schedule changes, and a bunch of health forms to fill out.

I got a letter today from UOP, asking to reconfirm my spot, any schedule changes, and a bunch of health forms to fill out.

same here...stupid question but we dont need to send them another 550 do we moolman or express...

Housing won't send anything until the semester is over because they need to figure out how many people are going to remain at Brookside, then they can figure out how many people to accept.

The health form has me stressed out because I can't find my proof of immunization forms from childhood, plus I need to start the Hep B shots eventually.

Hey everyone, so I've also been waitlisted toward the "top" portion. Although I'm not holding out hope, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for something miraculous to happen. Anyways, so I was reading the letter, and I seemed a little confused about the following...

"...Keep in mind that this is not a prediction of your chances for for admission. If few openings occur, even those at the top may not admitted. On the other hand, if many openings occur, some of those lower on the list may be offered a spot."

For some reason, that part just doesn't make sense to me. Does the order where you've been placed on the waitlist not matter then? Anyone got some insight?

Hey everyone, so I've also been waitlisted toward the "top" portion. Although I'm not holding out hope, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for something miraculous to happen. Anyways, so I was reading the letter, and I seemed a little confused about the following...

"...Keep in mind that this is not a prediction of your chances for for admission. If few openings occur, even those at the top may not admitted. On the other hand, if many openings occur, some of those lower on the list may be offered a spot."

For some reason, that part just doesn't make sense to me. Does the order where you've been placed on the waitlist not matter then? Anyone got some insight?

I think they mean that even if they have a few openings, because they probably accept more students than spots available, those on the top of the waitinglist will not get in. If they happen to have a lot of openings then they will go down the list to the ones lower, after of course accepting those at the top of the list.

Got waitlisted also but my letter said that I got placed high on the waitlist. Not sure whats better. High or in the top portion. What do you guys think?

I spoke with UOP and I asked how many available slots were left and the person told me that the rest of the invitations will be sent out in April...so maybe if you havent received any thing yet that is a good sign that you have been admitted....good luck to everyone

Two words: Common Sense.
...common sense man...just asked a question ....I thought it was unusual to have to submit a second confirmation letter......and if you read the letter I recieved it didnt say anything about the previous check I had sent them.....anyways..i hope you feel like a better person for trying to belittle someone

Got waitlisted also but my letter said that I got placed high on the waitlist. Not sure whats better. High or in the top portion. What do you guys think?

hrmm....I think "high" is better than "top portion." I got placed towards the "top portion." Good luck!

...common sense man...just asked a question ....I thought it was unusual to have to submit a second confirmation letter......and if you read the letter I recieved it didnt say anything about the previous check I had sent them.....anyways..i hope you feel like a better person for trying to belittle someone
\

No reason to fight guys... you guys might be classmates so you don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Yazzman, on the letter, the 8th bullet point states that they got the $550 and that it covers the fee for the 3 day orientation. The 10th and final bullet point says to just return the reconfirmation.

The only major things left are, waiting for the financial aid package, living arrangements, sending transcripts from all the schools, just like PharmCAS, the health forms and paying tuition by August 1st.

\

No reason to fight guys... you guys might be classmates so you don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Yazzman, on the letter, the 8th bullet point states that they got the $550 and that it covers the fee for the 3 day orientation. The 10th and final bullet point says to just return the reconfirmation.

The only major things left are, waiting for the financial aid package, living arrangements, sending transcripts from all the schools, just like PharmCAS, the health forms and paying tuition by August 1st.

My never said that they received the 550...I have a letter of confirmation and health package....I wasnt fighting....common sense response wasnt cool I thought..but it is all good..........

Hey guys, What kind of questions did they ask you during the UOP interview? I am curious about what kind of questions they ask you versus other schools.

i have a feeling that uop will be sending out a fresh round of acceptance/rejection/waitlist letters by the end of the week :(

i have a feeling that uop will be sending out a fresh round of acceptance/rejection/waitlist letters by the end of the week :(

i called them and they said they will send everything out by this week.

<SIGH>Wait listed</SIGH>

So, it doesn't look like anyone who was placed on hold after an interview has received an acceptance letter. In past years, has a "hold" status pretty much guaranteed a rejection or waitlist status?

I just received a letter to confirm my wait list acceptance. The letter states that they are anticipating a wait list of about 50 people for this year...

So...maybe around 25 people on the "top portion" and 25 on the "middle portion?"

I just received a letter to confirm my wait list acceptance. The letter states that they are anticipating a wait list of about 50 people for this year...

So...maybe around 25 people on the "top portion" and 25 on the "middle portion?"
I received the same letter today. It is somewhat encouraging, saying that during some application cycles, they've pulled everyone off the waitlist and have offered them spots. On the other hand, it states that during some years, they have not offered anyone on the waitlist a spot. It's kind of hit and miss.

I personally know three people who were admitted and they are all planning on going elsewhere. All of them just recently notified UOP too, so that should open up a few spots.

I think it's more like 15 people in the top portion, 15 in the middle, and 15 at the bottom.

BTW, good luck!

I received the waitlist letter last week. SOOO bummed, but oh well.i started preparing my application for next year in the case that I'm not pulled of the list.:(

I received the same letter today. It is somewhat encouraging, saying that during some application cycles, they've pulled everyone off the waitlist and have offered them spots. On the other hand, it states that during some years, they have not offered anyone on the waitlist a spot. It's kind of hit and miss.

I personally know three people who were admitted and they are all planning on going elsewhere. All of them just recently notified UOP too, so that should open up a few spots.

I think it's more like 15 people in the top portion, 15 in the middle, and 15 at the bottom.

BTW, good luck!

BTW, good luck!

hehe, I know one person who's planing on going to UCSF instead of UOP...so...good luck to us!

I got my financial aid package today.......did anyone else get their package

hey. i got middle on waitlist after being on hold. glad i wasn't rejected. not sure abt my interest in the school, but it's a 3 yr program!

Oh God make 2008 that one year where everyone from waitlist is accepted:)

Oh God make 2008 that one year where everyone from waitlist is accepted:)

i second that ..there are couple of people i met at the interview that were very kind people and i hope they all get accepted :)

I also got my financial aid package in the mail today. I didn't get any of the good loans, ie. Perkins or HPSL.. :p Oh well. I applied for financial aid before the Feb 14th priority deadline so that's why I got it early, don't worry if you didn't submit everything by Feb 14th since some of you weren't even accepted before then. It really makes no difference when you submit financial aid because schools never run of money money to lend out. Having the Stafford loans fixed at 6.8% just shows how out of touch Congress is with the everyday person, they should of left it variable, then our loans would be at 4% and dropping.

yeah, i got my financial aid package yesterday. it's slowly becoming very real for me...and it's so exciting!

now whether to accept those unsubsidized loans...or try to find others with a lower interest rate..

yeah, i got my financial aid package yesterday. it's slowly becoming very real for me...and it's so exciting!

now whether to accept those unsubsidized loans...or try to find others with a lower interest rate..

That's my deliemma too. We can discuss it here to help everyone out. Obviously, take the $8,500 subsidized Stafford at 6% since you pay no interest while your in school. Now it becomes tricky, the rest of the loans for most people are going to be the $24,500 Unsubsidized Stafford at 6.8% and the rest of the costs is the Grad Plus Loan at 7.9%. The problem is that since Congress and the President in their great wisdom decided to lock in the Stafford rates in 2006, the rates are actually higher than the going rate for normal loans and even private student loans. There's actually little incentive to even go with the unsubsidized Stafford or Grad Plus because you can get better rates through private loans. Private school loans are tax deductible too, as long as you send a statement to the lender that the money is used soley for school purposes, but besides that, as a pharmacist you make too much to actually deduct the interest because it phases out. That only saves at most $750 since they cap the deduction at $2500, so it's not a big loss.

An advantage of the unsubsidized stafford is that there is no credit check to get it, if you have bad credit, it'll be hard for you to get the Grad Plus or a private loan without a co-signer.

Another advantage of the unsub Stafford and Grad Plus is that the interest is fixed. Most private loans are usually tied to either the LIBOR or PRIME rate. So for example citibank gives private loans for Prime minus 0.5%, so their current rate is 5.5%, much lower than the 6.8% and 7.9% plus there's no loan loan fee eating up your money. So the gamble is will the Libor or Prime rate go up enough to be higher than the fixed 6.8% or 7.9%. If I were to gamble, the answer is no, the prime will not go up that high.

In the end for convience, I would recommend anybody to take both the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans and really consider not taking the Grad Plus but instead taking out a private loan tied to the Libor, not Prime and no loan fee. It'll save you thousands in the long run.