UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone called to ask where they are on the waitlist yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Question for Penn students and grads: how are you paying for school? Is everyone taking out over $300,000 in loans? Everyone on this website says COST IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS, but then people still go to the school with one of the highest tuition rates for IS and OOS, a relatively high cost of living, and no option to apply for residency after the first year. What's your secret?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for Penn students and grads: how are you paying for school? Is everyone taking out over $300,000 in loans? Everyone on this website says COST IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS, but then people still go to the school with one of the highest tuition rates for IS and OOS, a relatively high cost of living, and no option to apply for residency after the first year. What's your secret?
The not being able to apply for residency isn't completely true. Penn will let you defer for a year so that you can obtain residency and get IS tuition.

It's all loans for me. I'm not quite at the $300,000 because I didn't take out the total COL for all 4 years and you really don't need to. I also didn't have too much compared to others in regards to undergrad loans so I had some wiggle room so to speak. That being said, I have friends who either have help from spouses, parents or took out private loans. Or people had former careers and therefore came in with some savings and no debt. It does vary, but it's really just the loans.

And I honestly don't fine the COL too bad. There is definitely reasonable priced housing. And you can easily cut out extra spending money by brewing your own coffee and not eating out every day.

The not being able to apply for residency isn't completely true. Penn will let you defer for a year so that you can obtain residency and get IS tuition.

I'll be at least 31 by the time I have all my degrees and get a job with a real salary. I think delaying vet school a year in order to save $40,000 would reduce the number of years I could work before being forced into retirement by one. If I'm making 70 to 100,000 a year (assistant professor at vet school via Glassdoor), then I would have to earn at least $30,000 while living in Pennsylvania for this to make sense. Of course interest and capitalization funks up these calculations.

And I honestly don't fine the COL too bad. There is definitely reasonable priced housing. And you can easily cut out extra spending money by brewing your own coffee and not eating out every day.

I've been living off a stipend of $800 per month take home without the help of parents for the past two years, so I'm good at living below the poverty line without being impoverished. Any idea why the VIN map has it so high? http://www.vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1. It's even higher than Ithaca which I know is impossible considering that average rent there is $800 dollars a month to live in a closet under the stairs and share the kitchen with the homeowner (true story). Are there any summers where you have to pay tuition?

Yeah, I don't know wth that's talking about. Penn is pretty average in terms of out-of-state tuition, and the apartment that I'm about to sign onto will be ~$580/month with all utilities and internet included (and it's only a few blocks from the school). The VIN map is assuming that students will be spending almost the same amount of money on COL as they are on tuition, which is absurd (unless you decide to live it up in Center City, in which case you probably have very wealthy parents taking care of everything). Interestingly, the raw tuition estimates are also plain wrong. IS students spend 39k/yr and OOS students spend 49k/yr on tuition, which should total to 156k and 196k, respectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Interestingly, the raw tuition estimates are also plain wrong. IS students spend 39k/yr and OOS students spend 49k/yr on tuition, which should total to 156k and 196k, respectively.

Yeah that's why I was wondering if we have to pay summer tuition between 3rd and 4th year, or if there were any other significant costs.

The amount they give you for COL is higher for 3rd year due to the summer, so yes.
I asked them at my interview if we pay extra for summer semester and they said we do not. They just assume that you'll be paying for a longer lease for an apartment or house, therefore COL will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well, after weeks of agonizing, I've picked Penn. Looking forward to meeting you guys! :biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
QUESTION FOR CURRENT STUDENTS: I've seen the example course schedule on UPenns website....but I wanted to know specifically what a schedule can look like time wise? In other words, how many classes do you take in a day, what are the lengths of these courses, when does your day start and when does it end, etc? What is it like a week in your shoes (preferably during your first and second year*)? Thanks! [Applying this cycle, but debating on deferring or not if I'm accepted - due to health issues]

*I've seen this question answered regarding rotations and externships, but I'm more curious over the beginning of veterinary school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
QUESTION FOR CURRENT STUDENTS: I've seen the example course schedule on UPenns website....but I wanted to know specifically what a schedule can look like time wise? In other words, how many classes do you take in a day, what are the lengths of these courses, when does your day start and when does it end, etc? What is it like a week in your shoes (preferably during your first and second year*)? Thanks! [Applying this cycle, but debating on deferring or not if I'm accepted - due to health issues]

*I've seen this question answered regarding rotations and externships, but I'm more curious over the beginning of veterinary school. ;)
This varies, but most days are 9-4 or 9-5 with an hour break at noon for lunch and 10min breaks between lectures. First half of first year you are in anatomy lab from 9-noon, then lectures in the afternoon. Lectures run from 1-2hrs and occasional 3hr, but the 10min break still applies every hour.

I've definitely answered this elsewhere on general "what's the typical vet school day" threads.

As Jilary said, first year is generally 9-5 every time, sometimes later depending on electives 2nd semester. Lunch is an hour at noon and anatomy in the morning.

Second year is basically the same, except I felt like I sometimes got out a little earlier. But I also just stopped going to class most of the time/not until after lunch. Second semester is hell made of non-stop exams.

First semester third year is typically 8-3 or 8-5 PM. Lunch is at 1 PM. Second semester is dependent on what blocks you take.

As for how many classes, it's a lecture for every hour. Third year it gets mixed a bit more based on electives.

Hi guys! I am having a lot of trouble deciding between PennVet and the University of Edinburgh for veterinary school. Does anyone have any pro/cons list of each school? I really need help making the decision. On some level Edinburgh is attractive to me because it is a new exciting place as I am from the suburbs of PA, but Penn has so much prestige and I just feel like the program offers plenty of opportunity for students. Any help comparing the two programs would be much appreciated!

I actually have a friend who is at Edin right now - if you PM me your email address I can connect the two of you!

Can anyone who has gotten off the waitlist at Penn in the past remember if they called you before the 15th or after? (Or if anyone knows the answer) Thanks!

Did those of you who sent in your deposits more recently get any kind of confirmation that your paperwork had been received? I sent mine in early last week and haven't heard anything. Will be calling tomorrow to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail.

Did those of you who sent in your deposits more recently get any kind of confirmation that your paperwork had been received? I sent mine in early last week and haven't heard anything. Will be calling tomorrow to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail.
I got a letter in the mail about a week letter with info to set up my pennkey

I just got an email today that they received it. I put it in the mail last Thursday.

Thanks, guys! Admissions told me their mail is taking forever for some reason and that they're receiving things now that were postmarked a week ago, so it may just be delayed. If anyone else is in the same boat as I am, give them a call.

Thanks, guys! Admissions told me their mail is taking forever for some reason and that they're receiving things now that were postmarked a week ago, so it may just be delayed. If anyone else is in the same boat as I am, give them a call.

That's what they told me too! I had called on Tuesday because I was concerned and they said that

1) Tax season makes it so mail takes longer than people expect
2) Their mail usually goes to the main University first and gets sorted, so that can take extra time too.

But that it happens every year, and they'll work with you to make sure your seat is held even if it's not there.

Luckily looks like mine was received today, but don't fret if you weren't.

Does anyone know any details about how our rabies vaccinations will be handled? I know they'll be sending us information on that in the next few weeks, but I was hoping to get a start on figuring things out earlier. My insurance company had previously told me that pre-exposure vaccines are covered, and I just called to ask a follow up question, and the rep I talked to this time said it's not covered at all and it won't be even when I'm officially a vet student. It's my understanding that at Penn, if you're under the student health insurance plan, your vaccines are covered. If you're not, you're at the mercy of whatever insurance you may have. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Or how much it would cost to have it done there?

edit: Nevermind - finally found the cost. It's $300 per vaccine. My county health department is cheaper. Ouch.

Last edited:
Does anyone know any details about how our rabies vaccinations will be handled? I know they'll be sending us information on that in the next few weeks, but I was hoping to get a start on figuring things out earlier. My insurance company had previously told me that pre-exposure vaccines are covered, and I just called to ask a follow up question, and the rep I talked to this time said it's not covered at all and it won't be even when I'm officially a vet student. It's my understanding that at Penn, if you're under the student health insurance plan, your vaccines are covered. If you're not, you're at the mercy of whatever insurance you may have. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Or how much it would cost to have it done there?

edit: Nevermind - finally found the cost. It's $300 per vaccine. My county health department is cheaper. Ouch.

It is covered by the student health insurance though.

As for if you get it done at the school, they'll post sign up sheets during orientation or like the first week of class for you to sign up for a time slot to get them done.

Reactions: 2 users
It is covered by the student health insurance though.

Right, but I won't be on the student insurance plan. And it looks like you're on your own (as far as cost goes) if you don't have the student health insurance plan, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether that's absolutely true, for sure. My insurance company had said they'd cover it when I called a few weeks ago but when I called today to ask a follow-up question, they said it won't be covered at all, not even when I'm officially a student required to get it for my program. :(

As for if you get it done at the school, they'll post sign up sheets during orientation or like the first week of class for you to sign up for a time slot to get them done.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm probably doing it here beforehand to save money (and my employer is supposed to cover at least part of the cost but might not since I'm leaving...), but this is good to know. I'm glad they make it easy.

Right, but I won't be on the student insurance plan. And it looks like you're on your own (as far as cost goes) if you don't have the student health insurance plan, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether that's absolutely true, for sure. My insurance company had said they'd cover it when I called a few weeks ago but when I called today to ask a follow-up question, they said it won't be covered at all, not even when I'm officially a student required to get it for my program. :(

There's no way to say for sure. It's up the insurance company in the end. I'd probably keep tract of whoever said you it would be covered (name, date you talked to them, etc) and use that to see if would be covered.

Hi, I heard we can get free flea/tick/heartworm in vet school but was wondering if it is at a consistent time like beginning of school year or middle or random. Just because I get a 50 percent discount now where I work until I quit in a week but don't want to get a year's worth if I will be able to get it all free in September. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I heard we can get free flea/tick/heartworm in vet school but was wondering if it is at a consistent time like beginning of school year or middle or random. Just because I get a 50 percent discount now where I work until I quit in a week but don't want to get a year's worth if I will be able to get it all free in September. Thanks!
I elected to get a years worth prior to leaving my old job. We didn't start getting our free supplies until March I think. I have multiple animals too (3 dogs & 3cats) so even with the free stuff, I will run out since you are only allowed 1 year of free product for 1 per for each company. I think we got frontline/heargard, revolution and interceptor.

I elected to get a years worth prior to leaving my old job. We didn't start getting our free supplies until March I think. I have multiple animals too (3 dogs & 3cats) so even with the free stuff, I will run out since you are only allowed 1 year of free product for 1 per for each company. I think we got frontline/heargard, revolution and interceptor.

Also Bayer Products: Advantage Multi and Seresto (years worth for both).

Definitely get enough to get you to the spring if you plan on banking on the freebies. Otherwise, the pharmacy does sell it to you for cost. And the Primary Care Service is pretty good about trying to give you stuff for free if they have it.

Good to know thanks! I was totally planning on buying it to last until it expires because I get it at cost now, but I'll just buy a year and hope for free stuff :)

I completely agree primary care here is awesome! They gave me a ton of free revolution because I have one cat that gets engorged ticks on FL, and even though revolution isn't labels for ticks for cats, studies suggest it provides some protection. So now my cats get FL on the 1st and Revolution on the 15th. We're just getting into the first round of tick season, so we'll see how this works.

Hi all. I just got a call from Penn offering me a deferred acceptance. So keep your phones nearby

I got that call as well this morning!

Hey everyone,

I really need all of your help!

In short, I applied this cycle for the class of 2021. Two of the schools I applied to require Calculus (UF and U Penn). The rest only require up to statistics (which I have already taken), or a higher level math like trig or college algebra (which only a few schools require which I can take this winter or spring). I am currently taking Precalculus because it is the prereq for Calculus. So my plan was to take precalc now, and calculus in the spring. However, precalculus is not going well and I am most likely going to drop it (I have a positively awful teacher who does not teach well and goes WAY too fast). I have done everything I can to do better on these exams, but I have not been able to pass (with NO help from my teacher).

My options that I need help with:
-To continue with precalc and hope that I am somehow able to pull off a C. Although I do not even want a C. I fear if I stay in the class I will not even get a C which I cannot afford to do.
-The other option would be to drop it, and take trig or college algebra in the winter or spring instead (since they are easier and only a few schools require a higher level math). The downside to that is I would no longer be eligible for UF or U Penn.

If I drop precalc, I will get my third W (not in a row), and have to find another option for taking precalculus now or over the winter to be able to start calculus in the spring. I fear if I stay in the class I will not pass it (which I cannot afford to do for my gpa).

**What I really want to know though, is my chances of getting an interview to Penn. Because if I don't have a good chance of getting in, I am definitely not struggling through precalculus just to get a mediocre grade.

My stats are roughly (at time of application):
OOS resident

GPA from my primary school: 3.64
Cumulative GPA of all schools together: 3.49 Cumulative GPA with replacement grade: 3.56
Science GPA all schools: 3.21 Science GPA all schools with replacement grade: 3.31
Last 45 units all schools: 3.06 Last 45 units all schools with replacement grade: 3.19

GRE: 149V, 148Q, 4.0

I have over 3,500 hours total of veterinary experience with additional animal experience too. I have worked as a veterinary technician doing ALL major tech work for the past 4-5 years. My veterinary and animal experiences are in small animal, large animal, exotics, avian, wildlife, Public Health, equine, and animal shelters. EC: musician, artist, President and VP of my club, and more.

**GPA is due to two not so stellar grades because of deaths in the family (which I explained in my ES).

Like I said, what I really would like to know is if you guys think I can actually get an interview to Penn. That way I will know if I need to first take pre-calc to then take Calculus. Also FYI I also need to still take Ochem II for them, and probably two humanities courses.

I chose to write here because I only want to know about my chances for Penn.

Any help would be appreciated, and please only good constructive comments! Thank you!

Hey everyone,

I really need all of your help!

In short, I applied this cycle for the class of 2021. Two of the schools I applied to require Calculus (UF and U Penn). The rest only require up to statistics (which I have already taken), or a higher level math like trig or college algebra (which only a few schools require which I can take this winter or spring). I am currently taking Precalculus because it is the prereq for Calculus. So my plan was to take precalc now, and calculus in the spring. However, precalculus is not going well and I am most likely going to drop it (I have a positively awful teacher who does not teach well and goes WAY too fast). I have done everything I can to do better on these exams, but I have not been able to pass (with NO help from my teacher).

My options that I need help with:
-To continue with precalc and hope that I am somehow able to pull off a C. Although I do not even want a C. I fear if I stay in the class I will not even get a C which I cannot afford to do.
-The other option would be to drop it, and take trig or college algebra in the winter or spring instead (since they are easier and only a few schools require a higher level math). The downside to that is I would no longer be eligible for UF or U Penn.

If I drop precalc, I will get my third W (not in a row), and have to find another option for taking precalculus now or over the winter to be able to start calculus in the spring. I fear if I stay in the class I will not pass it (which I cannot afford to do for my gpa).

**What I really want to know though, is my chances of getting an interview to Penn. Because if I don't have a good chance of getting in, I am definitely not struggling through precalculus just to get a mediocre grade.

My stats are roughly (at time of application):
OOS resident

GPA from my primary school: 3.64
Cumulative GPA of all schools together: 3.49 Cumulative GPA with replacement grade: 3.56
Science GPA all schools: 3.21 Science GPA all schools with replacement grade: 3.31
Last 45 units all schools: 3.06 Last 45 units all schools with replacement grade: 3.19

GRE: 149V, 148Q, 4.0

I have over 3,500 hours total of veterinary experience with additional animal experience too. I have worked as a veterinary technician doing ALL major tech work for the past 4-5 years. My veterinary and animal experiences are in small animal, large animal, exotics, avian, wildlife, Public Health, equine, and animal shelters. EC: musician, artist, President and VP of my club, and more.

**GPA is due to two not so stellar grades because of deaths in the family (which I explained in my ES).

Like I said, what I really would like to know is if you guys think I can actually get an interview to Penn. That way I will know if I need to first take pre-calc to then take Calculus. Also FYI I also need to still take Ochem II for them, and probably two humanities courses.

I chose to write here because I only want to know about my chances for Penn.

Any help would be appreciated, and please only good constructive comments! Thank you!
Your stats are below average for accepted students at Penn. That said, Penn is weird. I met one of the adcoms a few years ago and she said if she reads a personal statement and it makes her think "I want to meet this person" she will invite them to interview regardless of their academics. Now I'm assuming any file she sees has already been through an academic review to make sure it meets some minimum requirements, which I feel you are likely within those requirements. So based off your stats I'd say you may not have the best chance at Penn, but it certainly is possible depending on your personal statement and who reads it.

Your stats are below average for accepted students at Penn. That said, Penn is weird. I met one of the adcoms a few years ago and she said if she reads a personal statement and it makes her think "I want to meet this person" she will invite them to interview regardless of their academics. Now I'm assuming any file she sees has already been through an academic review to make sure it meets some minimum requirements, which I feel you are likely within those requirements. So based off your stats I'd say you may not have the best chance at Penn, but it certainly is possible depending on your personal statement and who reads it.

Thank you so much for your response. Thank you also for your honest feedback. That is what I thought.. Do you suggest maybe me calling someone in admissions at the school, giving them my stats now and asking them?

Thank you so much for your response. Thank you also for your honest feedback. That is what I thought.. Do you suggest maybe me calling someone in admissions at the school, giving them my stats now and asking them?
Absolutely! The admissions counselors here are fantastic. You want to contact either Rob Dimeo or Rosanne Herpen. They don't actually make any admissions decisions, but they've been involved in this process long enough that they are super helpful.

Absolutely! The admissions counselors here are fantastic. You want to contact either Rob Dimeo or Rosanne Herpen. They don't actually make any admissions decisions, but they've been involved in this process long enough that they are super helpful.

Thank you again so much! I will call tomorrow.

Is Rob not interviewing anymore? He was one of the people who did my interview.

Is Rob not interviewing anymore? He was one of the people who did my interview.
I don't believe he does. When I first spoke with him maybe 5 years ago, he told me they don't make admissions decisions but they are involved in the process. I'm assuming he and Rosanne may have some influence in it though, similar to the student reps.

is there any one here in 4th year rotations or has a good idea of them ? i was wondering if penn had opportunities for outside rotations/externships [outside of core rotations, or course]. i would like to be able to travel during my studies

is there any one here in 4th year rotations or has a good idea of them ? i was wondering if penn had opportunities for outside rotations/externships [outside of core rotations, or course]. i would like to be able to travel during my studies
@orca2011 is probably the best to answer your question! However, I currently live with two 4th years who basically were never here during the first half of the year because they were traveling to different places every two weeks. But that's the extent of my knowledge about 4th year rotations lol

I know a fourth year that has been all over the world for rotations. I heard you have to do some at penn, but you can definitely travel if you'd like!

I also didn't realize that we resurrected last years thread, I thought we were still responding to c/o 2021. fun times, this thread. now I'm here procrastinating instead of studying