UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in that case it could be tomorrow right?? I honestly think it could be especially because it was such a small group

Let's hope!!

Anyone hear anything yet who interviewed Friday??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS!!! ahh did anyone else hear? I wonder how late they make calls today, probably till 5? Freaking out....

Don't freak out too hard guys!! I was so nervous last Monday when I hadn't heard all day, then I got the call the next day...I've heard of people being called on Wednesday or later too :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the email that I'm on hold, does anyone know how this works or when we would get a definite answer with whether we are in or an alternate at some point? Or is on hold the same as alternate?

I tried asking this on the estimated cost thread and didn't hear back, so I was hoping a current Penn student could answer for me, since I'm pretty sure this is where I'm going...

Question about the refund checks for loans, is it one per semester or one per year? Do they just divide the amount asked for in half and give you half in August and the rest in January? The reason I'm asking is that I have enough money left in my college fund to pay for my first semester tuition and most likely living expenses too, but I would need loan money for the second half. So if the amount I plan to pull out for the first year is only about half of the cost of attendance, will that still be given to me in two pieces, and I just have to save the leftover from first semester so I have enough for second semester? Also, how do I designate how much I want to take out per semester/year?

I tried asking this on the estimated cost thread and didn't hear back, so I was hoping a current Penn student could answer for me, since I'm pretty sure this is where I'm going...

Question about the refund checks for loans, is it one per semester or one per year? Do they just divide the amount asked for in half and give you half in August and the rest in January? The reason I'm asking is that I have enough money left in my college fund to pay for my first semester tuition and most likely living expenses too, but I would need loan money for the second half. So if the amount I plan to pull out for the first year is only about half of the cost of attendance, will that still be given to me in two pieces, and I just have to save the leftover from first semester so I have enough for second semester? Also, how do I designate how much I want to take out per semester/year?
I just answered on the other thread. :)

Paperwork for deciding how much you take out comes later. It's always split into semesters (so one refund in later august/september other in january) which was kind of annoying when I got a small scholarship where they sent two checks (one in the fall and one for spring) and the school split it, so I only got half of the first check. If you take out too little, you can always take out more, which is what I will likely be doing in the next month or so.

I'm on hold as well :). They are going to reevaluate us this Friday and we should have an answer by early next week. Its not the same as alternate. It just means they are still looking at our applications. This is what a friend of mine (who goes to Penn) told me! He was on the hold list a couple years ago!
Is that instead of/without interviewing, or a response to having already had an interview?

Is that instead of/without interviewing, or a response to having already had an interview?
Alternate means that you interviewed but they were unable to make a decision about you just yet.

Question for current UPenn students or anyone familiar with the area: do many students have dogs? I know on interview day one student mentioned maybe having your parents keep the dog during 4th year since rotations are so time consuming, but for the other years I was wondering if it was hard to have a dog in the city? are there grassy places to walk them? I've never lived in a huge city and was thinking it may be hard if you have to walk far to find grass, especially late at night. Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current UPenn students or anyone familiar with the area: do many students have dogs? I know on interview day one student mentioned maybe having your parents keep the dog during 4th year since rotations are so time consuming, but for the other years I was wondering if it was hard to have a dog in the city? are there grassy places to walk them? I've never lived in a huge city and was thinking it may be hard if you have to walk far to find grass, especially late at night. Thanks in advance for the help!

I can answer this one :)
A lot of people in my class (first year) have dogs. A few have gotten dogs since starting class. I would recommend getting the dog BEFORE you start school so that any behavioral problems would come to light before your stress kicks in...having all the stress of first year PLUS finding out your dog is suddenly becoming insanely aggressive is a major stressor.

Given that, I came with my dog (he is 15 now) and while it's definitely challenging, I am SO glad I have him here. I live in university city about a ten minute walk from campus and Clark Park is across the street from me. There are morning and evening dog playgroup meetups every day and from what I've seen, the dogs are generally very well-behaved. Living in center city would be more challenging because A) no real dog parks, except one tiny fenced in one and B) very hard to go home during lunch break to walk your dog.

My dog goes out about five times a day (because old and can't hold it in) and if I had to estimate, I'd say that I spent about two hours a day outside with him in total. It's definitely doable, just make sure you know your dog :) Lmk if you have other questions!

I can answer this one :)
A lot of people in my class (first year) have dogs. A few have gotten dogs since starting class. I would recommend getting the dog BEFORE you start school so that any behavioral problems would come to light before your stress kicks in...having all the stress of first year PLUS finding out your dog is suddenly becoming insanely aggressive is a major stressor.

Given that, I came with my dog (he is 15 now) and while it's definitely challenging, I am SO glad I have him here. I live in university city about a ten minute walk from campus and Clark Park is across the street from me. There are morning and evening dog playgroup meetups every day and from what I've seen, the dogs are generally very well-behaved. Living in center city would be more challenging because A) no real dog parks, except one tiny fenced in one and B) very hard to go home during lunch break to walk your dog.

My dog goes out about five times a day (because old and can't hold it in) and if I had to estimate, I'd say that I spent about two hours a day outside with him in total. It's definitely doable, just make sure you know your dog :) Lmk if you have other questions!

Thank you! I have had her for about a year and a half now. She is a good girl and I definitely want to bring her, just wanted to make sure there are some grassy areas/parks nearby for her. Finding housing near a park like that is a good idea! glad to know there are some close to campus!

Definitely not an issue. Plenty of grass and areas to walk. I got my guy after 2nd year and it's been tougher with clinics but definitely doable since he's older. He's not a crazy puppy who need to be walked like 5x a day to avoid him destroying your house and he can easily hold it for 14+ hours if absolutely needed. I do have a classmate who has a dog walker for her dog though. I'm sure a few others do as well. And the grass has never been issue for me. My dog literally pooped in the middle of a crosswalk as the light changed once.

I'm driving up tomorrow afternoon for my interview. Got nothing to do all evening...anyone want to hang out? I'm staying at the Sheraton University City.

Last edited:
Oh! PS that there is a bake off at this week's happy hour for anyone sticking around. It's a fundraiser but people should be making things that you can taste. I think it's $5 to eat all the things.

I'm driving up tomorrow afternoon for my interview. Got nothing to do all evening...anyone want to hang out? I'm staying at the Sheraton University City.
I'm flying in tomorrow afternoon but I'm staying at the Hilton on Walnut

Thank you! I have had her for about a year and a half now. She is a good girl and I definitely want to bring her, just wanted to make sure there are some grassy areas/parks nearby for her. Finding housing near a park like that is a good idea! glad to know there are some close to campus!
I'm bringing my dog to school with me as well, also interested in pet friendly places near parks if anyone has any suggestions!

Do you think those of us who have been put on hold will find out today or early next week? I thought it was early next week, but other people have told me it will probably be today. Thoughts?
Not today, some of the adcoms just finished drinking at happy hour and eating baked goods, so they definitely aren't calling anybody. Early next week is quite likely, though it could go into midweek.

Not today, some of the adcoms just finished drinking at happy hour and eating baked goods, so they definitely aren't calling anybody. Early next week is quite likely, though it could go into midweek.

NOBODY eated more rice krispies than I

I'm jealous too! Haha I was also there Friday. I second that question, who interviewed you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When do people on hold hear about their decision?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email--alternate list :(. Queen of the alternate list this year. This is my 4th school thats waitlisted me. Sigh :(.
Alternate list for me too. Just when I thought I could have some peace of mind about the next four year of my life...

Just as an aside, the OOS wait list has previously moved a lot over the past several years. When I was on the IS list many years ago now, it didn't move at all.

I'm an OOS alternate too, but I'm going to remove myself from the waitlist. I got accepted somewhere else!

I really hope I get off it. Do they normally start letting people know the 15th of April or is it ever before that?
They can't let people know before that because everyone they accepted has until April15th to accept the offer. They can't give away any spots they've already offered until the deadline to accept them has passed.

They can't let people know before that because everyone they accepted has until April15th to accept the offer. They can't give away any spots they've already offered until the deadline to accept them has passed.

Even if people decline their spots before then?

I also got alternate today. It's my 2nd school I've heard from today (and at all) that I've interviewed at and both gave me alternate status. I still have 2 more to hear from but suddenly I'm a lot more nervous than I was before.

I also got alternate today. It's my 2nd school I've heard from today (and at all) that I've interviewed at and both gave me alternate status. I still have 2 more to hear from but suddenly I'm a lot more nervous than I was before.

Me too!

does anyone know if/when upenn holds an admitted students day?

Even if people decline their spots before then?
Yes because those people technically have the chance to change their minds and accept the spot until the deadline. It's an agreed upon deadline by all schools. No wait lists are touched until after April 15th. Plus most schools accept more than their class size assuming not all will accept the offer anyway.

Anyone else still not hear anything since the application acknowledgment email??

Anyone else still not hear anything since the application acknowledgment email??
I haven't heard anything from them at all since that email. I'm an IS applicant. And I'm fairly competitive. I've been accepted to two other schools but I have heard nothing from Penn.

I haven't heard anything from them at all since that email. I'm an IS applicant. And I'm fairly competitive. I've been accepted to two other schools but I have heard nothing from Penn.
I'm in the same exact boat... Well hopefully they're keeping us around for a reason and we'll have an interview in the near future?! I'm trying to stay hopeful!

So I'm officially submitting the paperwork to confirm my seat with UPenn! There was a little bit of pause after getting into VMCVM (my IS), but not much :p. PennVet 2020!

Reactions: 4 users