UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to all who were accepted!
Anyone here from the Feb 23 Ochsner interview?

Has anyone processed their FAFSA for UQ yet? Also, anyone know of some scholarship opportunities?
-Its tough since we're going international.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all who were accepted!
Anyone here from the Feb 23 Ochsner interview?

Has anyone processed their FAFSA for UQ yet? Also, anyone know of some scholarship opportunities?
-Its tough since we're going international.
My FAFSA just got successfully processed, sent it in on Friday. Sorry, from the March 9th one in NOLA

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, meant interview, 6-8 weeks after your interview
First off, congrats on your acceptance! would you mind sharing your gpa and mcat score? also, how does uq oschner calculate gpa, do they do grade forgiveness?
I have a 3.28 gpa but with grade forgiveness and 505 mcat...thinking whether to apply or not

First off, congrats on your acceptance! would you mind sharing your gpa and mcat score? also, how does uq oschner calculate gpa, do they do grade forgiveness?
I have a 3.28 gpa but with grade forgiveness and 505 mcat...thinking whether to apply or not

They actually provide notice of acceptance 6-8 weeks after passing the interview. I believe it took nearly a month for my interview to be passed, i.e. application sent to UQ.
Regarding metrics, it seems UQ mostly looks at transcripts, but don't let that discourage you! A commonly used method is weighting the later years, so as long as there's progression, you're good.
The app is free, nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Won’t have my mcat till late Aug. would that be too late for this cycle or should I postpone the app?

Won’t have my mcat till late Aug. would that be too late for this cycle or should I postpone the app?

Most likely too late, but you can submit everything and then if someone drops out they might take you off the waitlist, otherwise you'll be the first to get notified the following year and won't need to re-apply.

According to UQ clinics, Allianz (insurance) is preferred, yet they seem to have a '3 month minimum cover period' under the refund category. Does this mean they keep an additional 3-months pay when we request refund on the 2-years not spent in Australia?

Anyone else notice this?
Any current UQ students have advice on an insurance that is widely accepted in the area?

Reference:
OSHC Australia - Compare and Save

From previous experiences all I can say is good luck getting anything back from OSHC after graduation. I think I’ve been told by the year ahead of me they’ll offer credit but not a refund. It’s pretty dumb and I would just assume you’ll never see that money again. For me it was great. It 100% covered a lap chole and 3 day admission. I got my moneys worth.

From previous experiences all I can say is good luck getting anything back from OSHC after graduation. I think I’ve been told by the year ahead of me they’ll offer credit but not a refund. It’s pretty dumb and I would just assume you’ll never see that money again. For me it was great. It 100% covered a lap chole and 3 day admission. I got my moneys worth.

Sorry to hear about your need for a lap chole, but that's great it was covered! I was told we can get a refund; you haven't heard of any successes? -Too bad!
Which insurance did you pick? I was considering Bupa for it's coverage; they all seem to get poor costumer reviews.

Sorry to hear about your need for a lap chole, but that's great it was covered! I was told we can get a refund; you haven't heard of any successes? -Too bad!
Which insurance did you pick? I was considering Bupa for it's coverage; they all seem to get poor costumer reviews.
I actually just bought my "nib OSHC" one right now, cheapest, covers a pretty good amount, 100% of hospital and such, 85% of specialties, and easiest to get a hold of. Actually called them, and they were like the nicest people ever! Totally worth

I just got Allianz, it worked out fine. I think it's the one the school suggests?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many days/weeks after your interview did you find out about your acceptance/denial?

I interviewed in March, was notified I had passed the interview by the next week. This was all then put on hold until a batch of applications could be sent to UQ. After my application was sent out, it took around a 6 weeks to recive my admissions decision. Happy to say I was accepted and recently submitted my down payments and forms. Goodluck to everyone applying throughout the year!

has anyone actually been able to get a cashier's check in AUD from a US bank? if so, which one? having some trouble

has anyone actually been able to get a cashier's check in AUD from a US bank? if so, which one? having some trouble

For health insurance? It would probably be easier to pay with a card or send a wire transfer.
If you're talking about the tuition deposit, that's paid in USD.

yeah I'm gonna go with credit card. thanks!

Speaking of credit cards, it is a good idea to get one with no foreign transaction fees if you don't already have one. It'll be useful for a few reasons, like avoiding fees, building a good credit history if you don't have one, and building up points/rewards if you use the card responsibly, e.g. don't carry a huge balance/pay a lot of interest if you don't make payments in full/on time.

Hello everyone- congrats to those already accepted, good luck to those applying, and thanks to the more experienced giving advice!

Longtime lurker of the UQ-Ochsner threads here but first time posting and looking for some input:

Currently in a gap year, working full-time, around a ~3.3 GPA, and studying for the MCAT. I was planning on taking it in September to apply in December, but working has slowed me down quite a bit and am considering taking it in January (once those dates are announced) to maximize my score. Would applying after getting my scores back in late February (Jan. MCAT) be too late or risky compared to applying first thing in December (Sep. MCAT)? I know the interview dates fill up quickly and would like an acceptance as early as possible for many logistical reasons with work, housing, SO leaving for grad school, etc. I feel capable of getting a decent score by September but obviously a higher score is always better...

Thanks in advance!! :)

You should email mededpath and ask them how early they filled the class last year and when they presume to fill the class this year for 2019 to get a sense of when you should apply by. Obviously only take the MCAT when you are capable of getting a decent score.

Hi all,

I submitted my application last month pending my MCAT score which will be released this June. I am worried because it is my second attempt and wonder if they Take into consideration of all the previous scores and ave them or do they take only the newest one? Also, my undergrad GPA is 3.1 and post grad is 3.6, science gpa is probably around 2.9 for undergrad. Would I still have a shot at this? Thank you all.
You should email mededpath and ask them how early they filled the class last year and when they presume to fill the class this year for 2019 to get a sense of when you should apply by. Obviously only take the MCAT when you are capable of getting a decent score.

Hi all,

I submitted my application last month pending my MCAT score which will be released this June. I am worried because it is my second attempt and wonder if they Take into consideration of all the previous scores and ave them or do they take only the newest one? Also, my undergrad GPA is 3.1 and post grad is 3.6, science gpa is probably around 2.9 for undergrad. Would I still have a shot at this? Thank you all.

As far as I know they don't care about number of attempts just that your most recent attempt meets their interview threshold (I believe you need a 504 to be eligible for the interview). They use your most recent GPA , so if its 3.6 from post grad thats what they will use.

Can any current students talk about the UQ-Ochsner professors and how well you feel they prepare you (if at all) for Step 1? Also, are students in classes only with other UQO students or mainland UQ students as well?

Can any current students talk about the UQ-Ochsner professors and how well you feel they prepare you (if at all) for Step 1? Also, are students in classes only with other UQO students or mainland UQ students as well?
Well I just got accepted to the program, so can't talk about the professors, but in terms of classes, we're still part of The University of Queensland Mayne Medical School, so we're getting our MD degree from there, meaning we're still students of UQ. So we'll be taking classes with the general UQ Medschool, with everyone. We sign up for our groups with everyone in our class, all ~500 students, not just Ochsner's 120.

This is covered pretty extensively in previous UQ-O boards. There are a few subjects that you'll have to teach yourself, like pharmacology. But the school provides study materials, as well as resources like tutoring groups for Step 1. In any medical school, US or otherwise, you'll be responsible for teaching yourself a good portion of the material. But if you need a professor to guide you every step of the way in preparing for the USMLE, this might not be the program for you.

As the previous poster noted, this is covered in other UQ-O threads.

TL;DR: UQ prepares its students to be Australian interns. There is overlap between UQ material and Step 1 material, but their goal isn't to prepare students for Step 1, since it's an Australian medical school and the majority of the students are Australian.

Ultimately a student should be able to take UQ’s basic science studies and in conjunction with First Aid, prepare themselves well for step 1. I think this is shown by the presumable great scores many students are getting to match super competitive specialties.

Thank you to the posters above who directed OP to previous posts about UQ and step 1. This has been covered extensively for years here. UQ-O provides certain resources to the UQ-O students like Becker online access and several 5 hour online lectures by a Becker professor, They have some additional lectures they piloted in my year directed towards step 1, and they provide First Aid (first year) and U World (in 2nd year), and older students run tutoring groups as well as have resources to share with younger students. Otherwise, medicine is medicine and a good deal of it overlaps but naturally you need to fill in the gaps yourself in what they don't teach you and prepare in advance. There are lots of good online study resources to help you.

They are constantly evaluating their resources and what they provide students is likely to change year to year based on feedback. But they will not hold your hand and you will need to have a strong internal drive to study independently for step 1. UQ is still an Australian university and their primary motivation in curriculum is to train you to function on the wards as an intern in Australia and not to pass a U.S. exam.

Waiting for 6-8 weeks post interview feels like waiting 6-8 years - my boss commented on my productivity increasing and I'm thinking "yea it's so I don't check my email a million times a day b/c I'm leaving this place!!!!" ....hopefully lol

Waiting for 6-8 weeks post interview feels like waiting 6-8 years - my boss commented on my productivity increasing and I'm thinking "yea it's so I don't check my email a million times a day b/c I'm leaving this place!!!!" ....hopefully lol
Never mind was just accepted wow that was fast - this is so exciting....I have taken such a strange path to get here but I am grateful for all my experiences and to be quite honest - my 'failures'.....I look forward to meeting you all, good luck to everyone else and see you in Brisbane!

Reactions: 1 users
Will they start adding us to a Facebook group once we start receiving our COEs?
(I'm just really impatient to start officially meeting classmates!)

Will they start adding us to a Facebook group once we start receiving our COEs?
(I'm just really impatient to start officially meeting classmates!)
I asked OMSA about it, and they said they were waiting to get the "first round of acceptances from MedEdPath," which to me doesn't sound like a CoE, but who knows! We may have to suffer for another 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
I also have research experience, a year working as an EMT, lots of volunteering and a really strong desire to do global medicine which is something they look for in candidates.

Were you able to talk about this stuff during your interview? I also have some ECs I really want them to consider but was worried about how I would express them as they won't read essays. Just bring up examples from my experiences in the interview?

Hey everyone! I, too, was accepted into the program and am excited to meet you all!

Quick question: Did you guys scan your banker's draft and email it to UQ along with your acceptane forms or did you send it via regular mail?

Hey everyone! I, too, was accepted into the program and am excited to meet you all!

Quick question: Did you guys scan your banker's draft and email it to UQ along with your acceptane forms or did you send it via regular mail?
I did both. Scanned and emailed as well as sent via certified mail.

Same, got an e-mail from MEP stating I should get my CoE within 4-6 weeks, that was like 2.5 weeks ago, congrats btw!! We really gotta get the group running, really gotta find some roommates, pretty cool living spaces in Brisbane (eye on a huge villa with a pool, cheap too lol)

We really gotta get the group running, really gotta find some roommates, pretty cool living spaces in Brisbane (eye on a huge villa with a pool, cheap too lol)

Seriously. I keep checking back every day to see if the group is up yet.

correct me if i'm wrong, but I read on the UQ-O website that applicants need at least 1 semester of post-bacc??

Last edited:
We should lowkey make like a group somewhere else till they make one lol, like whats app or group me :whistle:

correct me if i'm wrong, but I read on the UQ-O website that applicants need at least 1 semester of post-bacc??

I haven't had any post-bacc, and I was accepted. So I think that's probably wrong.

We should lowkey make like a group somewhere else till they make one lol, like whats app or group me :whistle:

I support this endeavor. An unofficial Facebook group or a WhatsApp would be awesome.

Seriously. I keep checking back every day to see if the group is up yet.

Dude, its June. Half your class isn't even accepted yet probably relax with the fb group. You'll have plenty of time for meet and greets in the fall, I remember I went to one in my city in like December. Just enjoy your summer and slowly get whatever paperwork done that you need. OMSA has not forgotten about you, they make official fb groups without fail every year.

Dude, its June. Half your class isn't even accepted yet probably relax with the fb group. You'll have plenty of time for meet and greets in the fall, I remember I went to one in my city in like December. Just enjoy your summer and slowly get whatever paperwork done that you need. OMSA has not forgotten about you, they make official fb groups without fail every year.

Dude, I think we're all well aware that it's still really early. But we're excited, and that's fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Lmaooo pretty sure you were like this during your acceptance period too, don't hate on our good vibes rn, damn. We're not like snapping at OMSA or anything about the group being made, just hella excited about the whole thing. Maybe we should actually make the group and start meeting and greeting from right now, seeing this is getting on your nerves?

Reactions: 2 users
Lmaooo pretty sure you were like this during your acceptance period too, don't hate on our good vibes rn, damn. We're not like snapping at OMSA or anything about the group being made, just hella excited about the whole thing. Maybe we should actually make the group and start meeting and greeting from right now, seeing this is getting on your nerves?

It's exciting! Congratulations to everyone on your acceptances! And for the record, our class did the same thing, as I suspect every class does. There was an unofficial group started pretty early, and after OMSA made the official group some time late May or early June, if I remember correctly, we all transitioned to the new officially-created group. There's a lot of things to discuss and there's a fair number of current students and grads that usually join the group as well - so plenty of us to answer any burning questions you may have.

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn’t this be class of ‘23 in terms of residency?
Nope, we graduate UQ med school Nov. of 2022, so we're that then. Residency has nothing to do with what class you're in, pass your med school classes and you're guaranteed graduation from med school lol Not everyone will make a residency their first year

Nope, we graduate UQ med school Nov. of 2022, so we're that then. Residency has nothing to do with what class you're in, pass your med school classes and you're guaranteed graduation from med school lol Not everyone will make a residency their first year
That makes sense!

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to UQ-Ochsner and wanted to ask a few questions:

1. I submitted my application about a month ago (in early May) and just got an email saying that I've been accepted. However, I seem to have received acceptance despite not doing an interview. Is this an actual thing, or is this a mistake on the school's part?

2. I took a quick look at the financial aid section and it seems like federal loans are only available up to $135,000 in aggregate (both subsidized + unsubsidized). Considering UQ's rather high price tag and cost of living in Australia, I'll need much more loans than that (probably 90-95% of the total tuition across 4 years). Any ideas on where else I can look for loans?

Thank you.