This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hailbird

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a 21-year-old female. I'm currently still at a community college. I did well my first semester (3.0), did VERY POOR the next 3 semesters (1.73, 1.89, 1.87). I received F's, D's and I believe I withdrew from a course. At this point, my financial aid was dropped and I had to take a semester off. The next semester I paid for the courses, so I only took 2 classes. I received an A in a biology course and then another D in an online film class due to poor communication. Last semester, I received 2 B's and an A. My current GPA is at 2.20. I plan to receive straight A's this semester and next.

I did so poorly due to the fact that my mother was ill for a long period of time. I not only had a lot of home/family issues- but I was also in an extremely toxic/abusive relationship. My focus on school was completely interrupted.

My options being limited- I am eligible for my schools nursing program. They only look at a certain list of courses and calculate a "pre-nursing" GPA, so my F's and D's will not affect that. I am planning to do the dual enrollment (take courses at the community college for nursing but also an accredited 4-year university). At the end of 2 years, I can graduate from the community college AND state university with a BSN.

My DREAM is to become a doctor, a surgeon. It took me awhile to realize this and because of the many different issues I have faced- I feel like this will never be possible. Not to mention how financially strapped I am. I don't know how to go about fixing this and eventually get accepted into a medical school (I realize DO is my only option). While it may not make sense to pursue nursing, I feel it is the only option I am closest to obtaining with my grades. In my case, I could obtain a BSN. I would also complete required pre-med pre-reqs.

Do I have a chance? Will I ever have a chance? If I was to get straight A's in nursing school and an exceptional MCAT score? I know this is probably the most sideways plan but I'm stuck and I feel hopeless. I know I am smart enough to become a doctor, I just hit a lot of road bumps.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've had. What you have going for you is you're quite young and can absolutely turn it around. I do think that you should have come to the realization that at the pace you were going medical school wouldn't be an option, but that's all in the past. You need to focus on is what you're going to do from this point on.

I hope somebody else can comment about whether community college (CC) is even considered by American medical schools. Here in Canada you need to go to an accredited university or you can't apply to medical school. This could work out in your advantage as schools wouldn't consider your the grades you received from CC.
You need to see where your options are. What you're going to do with the debts, can you go to another school, what support you have around you. Trying to get into med school is incredibly draining, so unless other aspects of your life get under control it will be near impossible. Take some time to get those sorted out if you can, maybe a year if you need it. Having less pressure will help clear your head and hopefully provide you with the answers you are looking for.
Don't give up and do what makes you happy

See, I was thinking that because I would obtain a BSN through (dual enrollment at a community college and TSU) I would be eligible to apply. Since TSU is an accredited school and I would have a bachelors degree from there. I didn't think about the fact that a lot of my coursework would have been completed at the community college level.

I feel like my only option is to completely start over. Try to get my grades up and apply to a university. It just scares me. I could become a nurse in the next 2 1/2 years... but should I give that up and go down the path of starting over at another school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take some time and figure out where you are, where you want to go, and most importantly WHY you want to get there. Nursing is a serious degree, and while straight A's is not impossible, is it realistic at this point? At my alma mater you need an 82% average out of high school to enter, and a 3.7 GPA if you want to switch into the program, so it's quite competitive. I can't tell you what to do, only try to provide you with enough information so that you could make that decision for yourself. I do think you need to clear your head to get a better idea what that might be, and that involves taking some time for yourself. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable with your system can chime in and provide some additional information

A doctor and nurse are two very different professions. Before you get too far ahead of yourself, address your academic shortcomings and score well on all courses going forward. Take tome to reflect and figure out what you can do to ensure the cycle is not repeated.

With academics in order, I would then speak with those in the profession and perhaps volunteer at a hospital/clinic to gain more exposure as to the “day in the life” for each. This is a significant commitment so do your best to find out if it’s right for you.

Be realistic and remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to excel academically and complete prerequisites with A’s as well as all other coursework. You have blemishes on your record and can’t afford for any other mistakes, at least ones that in your control.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the 2.2 GPA include absolutely every single course you have ever taken at any college? AMCAS counts all courses, even those a college might replace. What is your sGPA? From this point on you have to get all As. You are in a very deep hole. Do you think it is realistic for you to get all As? Just continue on and do the best you can. See where you are GPA wise when you graduate in a few years. But if you don’t want to be a nurse, and have no interest in practicing nursing perhaps you should look at other options now rather than later.

Reactions: 1 user
BSN is not a good stepping stone to physician. For medicine to be a realistic option, you need to finish a BS in something; preferably something that might set you up for an alternative career if medicine doesn't pan out. Something you're interested in. BSN is fine if you actually want to be a nurse, but not if you are just using it because it seems somewhat medicine-related.

So finish a bachelor's in something, and you really need to basically pull straight A's. See where your GPA is going to be, do well on the MCAT, and you will likely need a post-bacc or SMP of some kind. Plus all the other expected stuff (shadowing, patient contact, community involvement, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I should better explain my situation and my reasoning. It's not that I believe obtaining a BSN will be beneficial in admission to medical school.They are indeed very different professions. In fact, I realize it is typically almost frowned upon in the medical community to take that path. I am two classes away from a general studies degree at the community college. I could then apply to TSU- but my GPA is too low (and I can't just keep taking out loan after loan after loan). My academics are too all over the place. But, my school has an excellent nursing program. They also offer a special dual enrollment with TSU to achieve your BSN while in regular nursing school. I have excelled in the coursework that is looked at in nursing school admission. They look at a specific set of classes and use those (credits x grade) to calculate a "pre-nursing" GPA. While my GPA at community college is 2.2 overall currently (I am also retaking a class I got a previous C in, I chose that one instead of the F's because that course is in the nursing list), my pre-nursing GPA is almost 3.5 and increasing. I just took my TEAS test and got an 84.

It's not that I have zero interest in being a nurse. I am passionate about learning. I am passionate about medicine, clinical application, patient care. Most of all, surgery. But, the voice in my head telling me I want to be a physician is getting louder and louder. It's never been a question of if I am smart enough... I just hit a lot of road bumps. Many of the issues I had in the past are resolved and luckily, I am out of the toxic relationship I was once in. I am completely focused on my academics now. I realize I have dug myself into a hole and now the path doesn't make much sense. I just thought that maybe if I made sure to take the required science classes at TSU while completing my BSN (and hoping to achieive straight A's- which is realistic for me in the sense that I am smart enough to do it and I WILL stay dedicated), I could still have a chance to get into DO school.

What do you think? It's not that I don't respect nursing or find it uninteresting. I'm just afraid to look back and say "what if?" or "why didn't I pursue this when I was still young". I'm just afraid to jump ship when I am so close to being accepted into the nursing program and working on a BSN. If I was to change majors to Gen. Studies, I would still have to retake many, many classes before TSU would accept me. Yet, if I am accepted into the community college nursing program, you automatically qualify for dual enrollment at TSU for a BSN.

I don't know why I kept putting an S. I meant TU, as in Towson. I think that I will continue down the BSN path and make sure I excel. I will try my best to get some of the pre-requisites done as well. I do not think I will be accepted into the nursing program this fall because I needed the courses I am currently enrolled in to count (and apparently they will not be considered until the spring program next year). So while I am waiting to get admitted, I am going to try to take some chemistry and physics (probably at the CC level because money is a factor). I did some research and a lot of medical schools are no longer "requiring" the prereqs but "recommending" them. I have taken A LOT of biology and excelled. The D/F's were humanities courses and will try to retake them later on. I think if I excel in the BSN program and have a stellar MCAT score... I think my chances will be pretty decent. Right?

Also, I am anxious that I have to wait a year to start the nursing program. I will be 22 this September. I will officially start my BSN in Jan. 2019-- making me 24 turning 25 when I graduate. Does that seem like a late start? Graduating medical school at 29 if all goes well?

I understand fully that BSN ---> medical school doesn't make a lot of sense. In my case, it is the best chance I have to receive a bachelors without having to retake and enroll in more courses. I will be accepted into the nursing program which ensures my acceptance into the Assoc. to Bachelors program.

I really don’t know how you will get above 3.0. And you really will need a higher GPA than that. Many school
Use auto screen and you’ll have a hard time meeting those filters. Work
as hard as you can for the next several years and see where you are at graduation. We can all speculate but you have tons of work to do to make this possible. The world is filled with good intentions but life happens. Remember there is no grade replacement policy anymore, so absolutely every course you have ever taken will be included in your GPAs for any medical school. Don’t forget to work on your ECs while you continue on. Don’t retake the MCAT for along time. And only when you are consistently scoring at or above your goal
score on the FL practice tests. Currently it is recommended that schools average multiple MCAT scores so keep that in mind. Good luck.

I will be 29 when i graduate from medical school, your age is completely irrelevant here. Just get the best GPA you can possibly get and work your plan accordingly.

Just an aside to the OP, you have a lot to fix. But dont let age deter you, go poke around the non trad forum some, and myself, ill be 37 and matriculating this year

Just an update for everyone: I have decided to retake the F's this summer. 2 of them are humanities. I am going to ensure I receive A's. Luckily, the CC does replace those grades so my GPA will increase. I meet the requirements for my state to transfer to a 4-year institution. I have fulfilled enough credits to continue on the path of a B.S. in Psychology (with a biopsychology concentration). From here on out, I'm striving for all A's and B's. Which I am 100% confident I can do. It was never a question of intelligence. I have remedied the issues holding me back. After doing some calculations with my advisor, if I fulfill the rest of my B.S. with all A's and B's- I can graduate with a 3.7-3.8.

Just an update for everyone: I have decided to retake the F's this summer. 2 of them are humanities. I am going to ensure I receive A's. Luckily, the CC does replace those grades so my GPA will increase. I meet the requirements for my state to transfer to a 4-year institution. I have fulfilled enough credits to continue on the path of a B.S. in Psychology (with a biopsychology concentration). From here on out, I'm striving for all A's and B's. Which I am 100% confident I can do. It was never a question of intelligence. I have remedied the issues holding me back. After doing some calculations with my advisor, if I fulfill the rest of my B.S. with all A's and B's- I can graduate with a 3.7-3.8.
Your transcript gpa will, your app gpa will not.

Will the F's and A's be averaged? or? Regardless, I have to retake them.