VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone needs a (free, duh) ride to or from airport during interviews, just shoot me a PM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So for the dinner the night before the interview, it says dress code is 'business attire'. Is that suit and tie (for men)?

So for the dinner the night before the interview, it says dress code is 'business attire'. Is that suit and tie (for men)?

More or less. You could probably get by without a tie but you gotta have the suit part

More or less. You could probably get by without a tie but you gotta have the suit part
Do most guys wear the same suit to the dinner and to the interview or bring two different suits?

Do most guys wear the same suit to the dinner and to the interview or bring two different suits?

I can't speak for most people, but since I only own one suit I'm just going to bring one :) Will bring two shirts / two ties but I guess plan on wearing the same suit for dinner/interview.

I can't speak for most people, but since I only own one suit I'm just going to bring one :) Will bring two shirts / two ties but I guess plan on wearing the same suit for dinner/interview.

My thoughts exactly. I only have one nice suit and even then, traveling with one suit is already a pain :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. Oh my.

I, mostly joking, told my wife I would have to buy a new suit if I got an interview. My current one fits poorly and only sees the light of day once a year, twice max.

I have never in my life been excited to buy clothing or wear a tie, but I am now!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be arriving at 10pm to Roanoke, does anyone know if at that hour are there taxi's or uber available?

I'm going to be arriving at 10pm to Roanoke, does anyone know if at that hour are there taxi's or uber available?
Google Smartway Bus, it goes to and from Virginia Tech's campus (Squires Student Center) to the airport every hour. The fare is $4 for one way. I took it a couple of times during undergrad.

On the interview information page, it says we were supposed to get an email with more specifics on Monday, Dec. 12. Did anyone get that email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of an airline that flies into Roanoke that gives refunds (or credits your money for another flight)? Southwest does not seem to fly there. I was looking at flying into Norfolk but that's quite a long drive. Any suggestions? I want to get my flights but am still figuring out scheduling so that I can make it to as many interviews as I can (I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools). I just don't want to buy tickets and then completely lose the money.

Does anyone know of an airline that flies into Roanoke that gives refunds (or credits your money for another flight)? Southwest does not seem to fly there. I was looking at flying into Norfolk but that's quite a long drive. Any suggestions? I want to get my flights but am still figuring out scheduling so that I can make it to as many interviews as I can (I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools). I just don't want to buy tickets and then completely lose the money.

I don't know about individual airlines but...I know that booking through Expedia you can opt for flight protection. For $20-$30 I believe you get credited your full amount back if you have to cancel.

I don't know about individual airlines but...I know that booking through Expedia you can opt for flight protection. For $20-$30 I believe you get credited your full amount back if you have to cancel.
That is a great option... I had never heard of that. This is the best option I have so far! :) Thank you! Every penny counts!

Reactions: 1 user
By any chance, have you (or has anyone) used this service? I just called and they basically said it's if you need to cancel for sickness/death/jury duty/disaster/etc. You have to provide documentation. In other words, changing a flight because I get another interview offer or "just because" is not included. Crossing my fingers there is another way :).

By any chance, have you (or has anyone) used this service? I just called and they basically said it's if you need to cancel for sickness/death/jury duty/disaster/etc. You have to provide documentation. In other words, changing a flight because I get another interview offer or "just because" is not included. Crossing my fingers there is another way :).

Ahh I didn't know that :( perhaps contacting whichever airline directly will help solve your dilemma!

This fall I had to schedule flights for something that we were hopeful would eventually be cancelled but at the time I was required to attend. Someone suggested I look into trip insurance, but the policies that covered anything but emergencies, deaths, jury duty etc were all almost as expensive as the change fees! I looked into several of the major airlines (Delta, United, American, Southwest) and Southwest was the only one that had no change fees. The others you had to pay a $200ish change fee plus the difference in airfare costs. Southwest was just the difference in fares. There is a regional airport in my current town and even though it was a 2 hr drive to the closest airport that Southwest serviced, it made much more sense to just drive and save that $200. But if it's going to cost you more than that to rent a car, pay for gas, and account for the extra stress it might bring you, it may not matter.

This fall I had to schedule flights for something that we were hopeful would eventually be cancelled but at the time I was required to attend. Someone suggested I look into trip insurance, but the policies that covered anything but emergencies, deaths, jury duty etc were all almost as expensive as the change fees! I looked into several of the major airlines (Delta, United, American, Southwest) and Southwest was the only one that had no change fees. The others you had to pay a $200ish change fee plus the difference in airfare costs. Southwest was just the difference in fares. There is a regional airport in my current town and even though it was a 2 hr drive to the closest airport that Southwest serviced, it made much more sense to just drive and save that $200. But if it's going to cost you more than that to rent a car, pay for gas, and account for the extra stress it might bring you, it may not matter.
Thank you! Yeah, I did some searching and driving 4 or 5 hours (from another airport in Virginia) to get to the school in weather that I am not accustomed to is not worth it. I did find a flight that I can cancel before midnight tonight that was a pretty good deal. But I am concerned as I get in at midnight and will need to drive from Roanoke to my hotel near the school. Is that drive safe typically if I drive slow around that time? I was thinking of getting an SUV probably as a rental as I thought it might be safer. But I'm not sure how things work there or whether the roads need to be cleared, etc. The other flights were hundreds of dollars more so I'm hoping to make it work. But I also want to be safe.

Is that drive safe typically if I drive slow around that time? I was thinking of getting an SUV probably as a rental as I thought it might be safer. But I'm not sure how things work there or whether the roads need to be cleared, etc. The other flights were hundreds of dollars more so I'm hoping to make it work. But I also want to be safe.
I haven't ever been to that area of the country so I have no idea...just wanted to share what I knew about changing flights. Hopefully someone from VA-MD can help you out.

I haven't ever been to that area of the country so I have no idea...just wanted to share what I knew about changing flights. Hopefully someone from VA-MD can help you out.
Thank you so much :).

Thank you! Yeah, I did some searching and driving 4 or 5 hours (from another airport in Virginia) to get to the school in weather that I am not accustomed to is not worth it. I did find a flight that I can cancel before midnight tonight that was a pretty good deal. But I am concerned as I get in at midnight and will need to drive from Roanoke to my hotel near the school. Is that drive safe typically if I drive slow around that time? I was thinking of getting an SUV probably as a rental as I thought it might be safer. But I'm not sure how things work there or whether the roads need to be cleared, etc. The other flights were hundreds of dollars more so I'm hoping to make it work. But I also want to be safe.

The drive from the Roanoke Airport to Blacksburg is all highway, but there is a section of the highway that is pretty hilly. Even still, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If we get enough bad weather that I-81 is unsafe to drive on, the flights into Roanoke would probably get cancelled anyway. Virginia acts like it's the apocalypse every time we get snow or ice!

The drive from the Roanoke Airport to Blacksburg is all highway, but there is a section of the highway that is pretty hilly. Even still, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If we get enough bad weather that I-81 is unsafe to drive on, the flights into Roanoke would probably get cancelled anyway. Virginia acts like it's the apocalypse every time we get snow or ice!
Thank you so much!!! So I had been thinking I might want to stay overnight near the airport the first night but it sounds like I should be fine. Thank you :).

You won't have to worry about snow around interview time. Snow hits us around the middle of feb. :)

You won't have to worry about snow around interview time. Snow hits us around the middle of feb. :)
Awesome! Is black ice typically around in January or is that something that is usually only around during snowy weather?

Awesome! Is black ice typically around in January or is that something that is usually only around during snowy weather?
I've actually never seen black ice on our public roads. That's how well they keep it clean lol. But that also starts in feb, in my experiences.

OOS Wait-listed.
Does anyone know if they started inviting wait-listed applicants?

Anyone know around what time the post-interview tours will be offered? The email says optional tours will be offered after the interview, but it doesn't really specify if this is going to be after all interviews or if there will be student ambassadors offering tours after all the interview time slots. Wondering just because it would probably affect my travel plans!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone decided to decline their interview?

Anyone know around what time the post-interview tours will be offered? The email says optional tours will be offered after the interview, but it doesn't really specify if this is going to be after all interviews or if there will be student ambassadors offering tours after all the interview time slots. Wondering just because it would probably affect my travel plans!

You should call the school to verify, but for us last year they were immediately after the interviews (for each time slot). We took a bus tour of the campus as soon as we left the interview building and they brought us back to the vet school, where you could participate in an optional tour of the school led by a student ambassador. From what I can recall, I believe it took about 45 mins or so, but they'll give you all the details at the dinner and the day of interviews if they don't via email. This year, the tours will be held by upperclassmen student ambassadors with first year student ambassadors assisting in case anyone has questions about the new curriculum. (At least, that's what I've been told so far!)

Yeah I have one actual english composition course but it is only 2 credits because it was part of a larger humanities seminar.

I also have a bunch of "Writing Intensive" courses that I had to take so they had me email them the course descriptions of all the writing intensive courses to see if they will allow those to be counted towards the requirement.

It seems to be that they want 6 credits through the english department, 3 of which are specifically english composition, but I'll let you know when they get back to me.
When I applied, they accepted writing intensive courses as long as there was a "W" on my transcript. I didn't have any issues. I hope it all works out!

I emailed Shelby and confirmed the above testimonies. Thanks guys!

OOS Wait-listed.
Does anyone know if they started inviting wait-listed applicants?
I was on the waitlist, but received an email today to interview. They emailed me at like 2:00 and said that I needed to respond by 5. Unfortunately, I was at work until late tonight and did not see it. So I hope that the spot wasn't given up today. That would be really unfortunate :( What do you guys think?

I ended up getting the interview. So I am an OOS applicant who was on the waitlist. So there is hope guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Open invitation: me and my friend are interviewing on Saturday morning, and are undergrads at Virginia Tech so if anyone wants to grab lunch/learn more about Blacksburg/needs rides to the interview or pre-interview dinner and are in Blacksburg feel free to DM me!

I was on the waitlist, but received an email today to interview. They emailed me at like 2:00 and said that I needed to respond by 5. Unfortunately, I was at work until late tonight and did not see it. So I hope that the spot wasn't given up today. That would be really unfortunate :( What do you guys think?

Saw that you got the interview! Yay!

Last edited:
Does VA-MD require you to send Fall transcripts? Every other school (or well, the only other I replied to) specifically stated how it would be handled. Looking through the e-mails and a quick glance at the VA-MD website, I'm coming up short.

Does VA-MD require you to send Fall transcripts? Every other school (or well, the only other I replied to) specifically stated how it would be handled. Looking through the e-mails and a quick glance at the VA-MD website, I'm coming up short.

If you look at the "Fall 2017 Admission- Important Dates, Deadlines, and Links" it says that Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 transcripts are due June 30.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you look at the "Fall 2017 Admission- Important Dates, Deadlines, and Links" it says that Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 transcripts are due June 30.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah, okay. I see it know. You have to view the whole list of deadlines. Thanks for that.

Anyone got any ideas on what type of questions maybe asked for the interview ?

Its going to be situation based questions / MMI style interview

Anyone got any ideas on what type of questions maybe asked for the interview ?
It's MMI, so there really is no way to prepare. Look up practice MMI questions and time yourself, do mock MMI sessions with friends, practice formulating responses to tough questions under pressure -- that's the only way to prep yourself, other than just relaxing and trying to have fun with it.

Here is an excellent example of an MMI question and answer. This chick nails it, even if it is a bit long and you may not have quite this much time.

Am I the only one having anxiety dreams? I'm about to drive myself mad.

Also to the peeps I told it wouldn't snow probably. It was 60 degrees today. They're calling for possible flurries this weekend. Mother Nature is drunk.