VCOM - Auburn, Rural rotation sites, Jack Hughston, 3rd, 4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSII UPike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am all over the place so pls bear with me and please help me.

1) what is the criterion to get assigned a rotation site, lottery, grades? Jack Hughston is a "ortho" hosiptal predominantly so how will students get to rotate in all areas that students at hospitals do?

2) Do students get to pick where they want to do 4th year rotations or does school assign them? Do students usually do 3rd and 4th year rotations from the same hospital?
Do chances of residency matching at the same hopsital improve if a person that does 3rd and 4th yr rotations from the same place? Do these people have an edge when it comes to residency?

Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. they intern at columbus b/c the need rotation sites large enough for the students.... also b/c of its connection with AU. lottery style, married w/ kids get preference, then marrieds, then the rest. you rank all programs. majority got there 1st and 2nd pick. lowest I heard was the 4th pick. yes, 3rd year curriculum regardless of the site is "standardize".

2. you find out in february of OMS II. you rank the locations in January. You find your own housing, some sites have sponsored housing. I wouldn't advise contacting residents or PD your a lowly MS II and they don't care. theres a pecking order.

3. VSAS and elective rotations at places where you want to do residency or just general. VCOM makes sures your education is "well-rounded" i.e. you cant have a whole year of the same thing.

4... Not every hospital has a residency. may wanna do a bit more research in on the medical field.

5. Attendings, also the majority of sites do not have a residency program present.

Edit: Spelling

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4... Not every hospital has a residency. may wanna do a bit more research in on the medical field.

5. Attendings, also the majority of sites do not have a residency program present.

Edit: Spelling
About #4, sure...was just wondering about the possibility if hospital offers residency.

#5: heard about residents grading in a lot of places.

Thank you for taking the time.

google eras participating programs. you'll see the locations...

again. majority of the location we rotate at don't have residents. how can a resident grade you if there is no residency program present...