Very worried. Could I get your opinion on my stats thus far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay_Tito

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there

So I just finished out my freshman year with the following grades:

Semester 1 = 3 A's, 1 B, 1 C

Semester 2 = 5 A's, 1 B

Total = cGPA is 3.6

I'm scared that I will not be able to maintain good grades as I advance to the upper level courses (especially since I'm taking Ochem next semester).

Any advice? Any reassurance at all would be helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there

Semester 2 = 5 A's, 1 B

Total = cGPA is 3.6

I'm scared that I will not be able to maintain good grades as I advance to the upper level courses (especially since I'm taking Ochem next semester).

Thanks.
Your grades are fine so far.

As for next semester, the most important thing you can do is be honest with yourself about how well you're grasping the material and if you're struggling, get help EARLY. I cannot emphasize that last part enough. The instant you feel like you're struggling with even one concept, go to your school's tutoring center or PALS sessions, utilize your professor's office hours, and seek help from your TA(s). Don't be the person that waits until halfway through the semester (or later) to start seeking help.

Reactions: 1 user
Your grades are fine so far.

As for next semester, the most important thing you can do is be honest with yourself about how well you're grasping the material and if you're struggling, get help EARLY. I cannot emphasize that last part enough. The instant you feel like you're struggling with even one concept, go to your school's tutoring center or PALS sessions, utilize your professor's office hours, and seek help from your TA(s). Don't be the person that waits until halfway through the semester (or later) to start seeking help.
----------------------------------

I appreciate it, friend. I struggled my first semester with Gen Chem a lot, and didn't seek any help (hence why I made a C). But I tackled Gen Chem 2 by finding study friends and by visiting office hours and made out with an A in the course.

A lot of my friends have 4.0's, and as neurotic and insecure as this sounds, I can't help but feel that even my hard work is not enough. I really want to excel in my academics and get accepted to medical school, so I will work as hard as I can to understand and grasp the material.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people have a bad start, and you're nowhere near a bad start with an upward trend. Just keep it up and start building on your EC's :)

Thank you. I'm on summer break as of now, and I have almost no idea where to start in terms of EC's. Should I look for volunteering opportunities locally?

Hey there

Semester 2 = 5 A's, 1 B

Total = cGPA is 3.6

Thanks.
My GPA was the lowest my first year, as is a lot of peoples. Use ratemyprofessors.com or a similar site when signing up for classes...you will be fine. Aside from a few classes (orgo, you b****...), I'd say things got easier in upper level classes (paradoxically). Don't get me wrong, there are some TOUGH upper level classes, but the ones you need for med school admission are not that bad. Keep up last semester's work, you are fine. Take each semester in stride and worry so much about the distant future.

I got a 3.2 freshman year (w/I think a C+ and a C in there somewhere) and did almost no ECs. You're doing great! The classes will get harder, but you know the game now and will study smarter. You will be able to keep up, believe in yourself!

As far as ochem, it is what you make of it. I was scared too at first from what I'd heard, but I ended up loving it because it was visual and I dumped enough time into it to where even though it was a puzzle I understood how all the pieces worked. So believe the pre-med horror stories or just go in with no expectations and give it all you got. Be ready to work hard though... that class was the hardest I ever worked in undergrad, for me it approximated the time demand of an M1 course. Don't slack/get behind, plenty of time to party when you're a senior and your apps are in (and even more so when you're holding one of those sweet acceptance letters).

Hey there

Semester 2 = 5 A's, 1 B

Total = cGPA is 3.6

Thanks.
You're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of office hours, maximize your use unless you plan on asking that professor for a letter. Like even if you think a question is stupid, or its a (difficult) question that you could answer by reading the book, still ask them first. You're not paying tuition to teach yourself from a book so use your resources well and save yourself time and effort