Virginia-Maryland

Started by proratalg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

They say we're supposed to be notified the third week of January, which would mean next week, the week of the 14th. Good luck to everyone! Are you guys VA-MD residents?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They say we're supposed to be notified the third week of January, which would mean next week, the week of the 14th. Good luck to everyone! Are you guys VA-MD residents?

I received a rejection letter before Thanksgiving..I'm out of state (NY)

Good luck guys!
 
outta state, haven't heard anything positive or negative

Same. Haven't gone home all week because I get tired of watching the clock slowly approach 3:30 to rush down to get the mail every day. Thankfully now that classes are back in session staying away is a bit easier.

Edit for below: /dies
 
Just wanted to let everyone know they are sending out interview invites via email.....just received one this afternoon.
 
Just got interview this afternoon via email. What a relief, it's the only school I applied to!
 
Oh man, now I'm really nervous! Wonder how long it'll take them to get them all out? If they're using e-mail shouldn't it be fairly rapid?
 
Not to give false hope, but they contact you via the method that you indicated you wanted as far as I can tell. I asked them to contact me by email. If you asked them to contact you via snail mail or a phone call.....

Also I am instate as well, so they may be contacting the in-staters first. Again, I am not trying to give false hope, but it ain't over til the rejection arrives, you know 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
/panic

All fingers and toes crossed hoping that the lack of mail today will present the desired letter tomorrow.
 
hear anything back yet? i'm out of state and haven't heard the slightest

Yes. They called 1/19 ~9AM while I was in bed sick.

But, as I said in another thread, she said that she had called before for an interview date and left a voicemail for me two days prior. But I neither had a voicemail nor an unidentified missed call. You could always give them a call. I know they were doing interviews the 12-14th every day, but I don't know if they were planning on more after those dates.
 
The letter I got said they were conducting interviews until Feb 14th and intending to send out yea/nay letters on the 23rd. I am not sure when they are starting the interviews, the letter mentions tours Feb 7th-9th.
 
I believe the first day of interviews is Feb 7th, and then in my email they gave you a phone number you can call on Feb 23rd to find out if you are accepted - if you don't want to wait for the official decision to be mailed.
 
I was called on Monday for an interview invite, I'm out of state. The info I recieved made it seem like the 12, 13, 14th interview dates are for the out of state applicants, because the information seemed to be geared specifically towards out of staters and these three dates were the only ones mentioned. This was just my impression and it could be wrong.

Anyone else interviewing at Illinois and then at VA-MD the next day or so? It should be an interesting couple of days 🙂
 
Yup! 5 interviews in one week, 5 different states. I can't believe it. I don't even want to think about how the last one goes... at least we're getting lots of experience under pressure!
 
Yup! 5 interviews in one week, 5 different states. I can't believe it. I don't even want to think about how the last one goes... at least we're getting lots of experience under pressure!

Wow, and I thought 3 in a week was bad! Puts it in perspective at least... 😉
 
rack up those frequent flyer miles, otto 🙂 you should get one of the flights for free.
 
Everbody here seems to have their interview dates more towards mid Feb. Anybody else have anything before the 8th (i guess that just leaves one day...) I think i'm asking somebody to be a guinea pig for me... haha. Chances are this will be my only interview, so I don't want to screw it up... and of course the only interview on their interview feedback makes it sound like the most miserable experience of that persons life! And I think they were in-state...

Does anybody know if they are also doing interviews at the Blacksburg campus on the same dates (Feb 7th - 9th) that they are doing interviews for MD residents at the University of Maryland?? I'm curious if MD residents interview with a completely different committtee from everybody else since the location is different... And I kinda wish I knew how many people they were interviewing for those 30 spots! Of course I won't know...
 
I have an interview on Feb 7th on the Blacksburg campus (VA resident), and will be sure to fill out a feedback thing, so we can have another perspective (hopefully a good one! :luck: ). Also, it says on their website that last year, 58 Maryland residents were interviewed for the 30 spots, so chances are pretty good if you get to the interview stage!

Good luck at your interview!
 
Any Maryland residents out there who have gotten their invitations? When did you get them and how (email, snail mail, etc)?
 
Any Maryland residents out there who have gotten their invitations? When did you get them and how (email, snail mail, etc)?

I got mine by e-mail on Monday, Jan 15. I was told to confirm it by Friday, Jan. 19th. I confirmed it immediately, and I guess if they thought I hadn't gotten the e-mail they may have called me (I hope they would have!). I would call them just to make sure, because, if I'm not mistaken, they're only doing interviews of MD residents on Feb 7th, 8th, and 9th, at College Park. I know somebody else who received their interview invitation the same week that I did. All acceptances/rejections will go out by the 23rd.

For anybody who did receive that e-mail... did you notice the typo?? "When all of the interviews have been completed, the College Admissions and Standards Committee will make its final review and candidate selection for the Class of 2010."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview on Feb 7th on the Blacksburg campus (VA resident), and will be sure to fill out a feedback thing, so we can have another perspective (hopefully a good one! :luck: ). Also, it says on their website that last year, 58 Maryland residents were interviewed for the 30 spots, so chances are pretty good if you get to the interview stage!

Good luck at your interview!

58 isn't too bad... they probably invited 60. I'm still scared though! But, hey, I got this far... Good luck at your interview, can't wait to hear about it!
 
Alright, the time has come to let the interviews begin! Good luck everyone!:luck:
 
Thanks for putting in your interview feedback! I was tired of reading about the one interviewee's horrible experience 🙂

Nice to hear too that those questions were not scary at all. I have been having nightmares about them asking about equine diseases I have never heard of.

Good luck, I will be sure to post my impressions after my interview Friday for the out of state people interviewing next week.
 
Thanks, I am sure you will do fine. I was just suprised by the amount of ethics questions - I thought for sure they would focus more on my previous career as a graphic designer, or why I want to be a vet...ah well. Good luck to you as well!:luck:
 
Bleah, I am glad you all did well on your interviews, I felt like I did not, it would have been better if I had not been stopping by the side of 220 on the way to hurl. Some guy even stopped and I told him I had morning sickness, because I was so embarrassed 🙂 The cold went well, but the hot was terrifying.

Ms. Massie told me that they are interviewing 91 VA residents, 58 MD and 50 out of state residents, FYI.
 
Just got home from my interview. Everyone was so nice! They put my nerves to rest immediately. I thought my interview went well too, actually. Althought I'm still dealing with nerves parts of the conversation are resurfacing in my mind and there's nothing I regret. 🙂

Good Luck Everyone!!!
 
Bleah, I am glad you all did well on your interviews, I felt like I did not, it would have been better if I had not been stopping by the side of 220 on the way to hurl. Some guy even stopped and I told him I had morning sickness, because I was so embarrassed 🙂 The cold went well, but the hot was terrifying.

Ms. Massie told me that they are interviewing 91 VA residents, 58 MD and 50 out of state residents, FYI.


Yea I too heard about the 91 VA residents - it usually is closer to 80, but she said that there were so many within a couple points of each other near the interview cutoff that they chose to interview more this year....yikes, makes the odds a little worse 🙁 . oh well - it will all be over when we find out on the 19th!!!
 
I thought they were going to tell us the 23rd, did she tell you the 19th? I guess that is when they start calling, and the 23rd is when you call yourself to find out you're rejected 🙁 At least it is soon (relatively) either way.
 
The email said the 23rd, but at the interview, she said she always originally tells you a little later, and we can call on the 19th to find out. If you don't call, I think they also mail the letters on the 19th, so you can just wait for the mail to come...:scared:
 
I wanna wait until the mail comes... I don't wanna get rejected over the phone!! eek. Then again, if I get accepted over the phone, I may be screaming into someones ear 🙂
 
ughh, I am going to bit the bullet and call them on the 19th - just knowing a decision has been made, i can't NOT call...besides the doctor where I work knows the day that we can call, and is expecting to hear from me since I have to work that afternoon....i will probably cry no matter what they tell me!
 
Got my call today!!! Accepted into class of 2011!! Best Valentine's Day ever!

This call was much earlier than I expected. I think they always call you, judging by the other people I know who have gone there.

Just for everybody's reference, I'm a Maryland resident and I just had my interview Friday, 2/9.
 
I wonder if calling is a Maryland thing? Have any VA residents been called? It is weird, because everyone I know who has gotten accepted in past years had to call them on the day they were told they could call to find out - no one was called by the admission committee...and now that I think of it, all those people were VA residents.....
 
I wonder if calling is a Maryland thing? Have any VA residents been called? It is weird, because everyone I know who has gotten accepted in past years had to call them on the day they were told they could call to find out - no one was called by the admission committee...and now that I think of it, all those people were VA residents.....

It's definitely possible. My experience has been with Maryland people only.
 
Well if my phone doesn't ring today I might just cry 🙁
Maybe I'll give it until tomorrow. Geez, this weekend is going to suck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if my phone doesn't ring today I might just cry 🙁
Maybe I'll give it until tomorrow. Geez, this weekend is going to suck!

I definitely wouldn't get worried yet!! The cut off date is approximately the 23rd and you can call on the 19th. Save the worrying until at least the 18th. 😳
 
I definitely wouldn't get worried yet!! The cut off date is approximately the 23rd and you can call on the 19th. Save the worrying until at least the 18th. 😳

It's hard not to be worried! I too am a VA resident mistifical and I am hoping that it's just the MD residents who are getting phone calls already! I tried to contact Joyce to find out what was up, but haven't heard back yet 🙁
 
hey all-
so i called joyce today - she said that the MD admission woman was going out of town (?) i think and that was why they were phoning early. when i talked to her, she said that she was getting the letters ready to be signed by the dean. i am under the impression that calling is not usual for va residents. someone else also told me that they mail the letters tomorrow and if you don't receive yours, you can call on monday to find out.....i was freaking out when i talked to her, which is why my response is sort of confusing...anyways - that is what i know - do with it what you will. and good luck to all! my stomach has had butterflys in it all day!:scared: