Virginia-Maryland

Started by proratalg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for calling for us, so we didn't have to🙂 I was having the same freakout session you were I am guessing.
It is still going to be a long weekend, maybe the postal service will deliver a miracle on Saturday? Unlikely. Did you happen to catch if acceptance and rejection letters both are going out tomorrow, or just acceptances? No worries either way.
Time to take up drinking (again, ha ha)
 
I definitely wouldn't get worried yet!! The cut off date is approximately the 23rd and you can call on the 19th. Save the worrying until at least the 18th. 😳

is the 19th for in state people or for all interviews?
or what interview dates
 
It's hard not to be worried! I too am a VA resident mistifical and I am hoping that it's just the MD residents who are getting phone calls already! I tried to contact Joyce to find out what was up, but haven't heard back yet 🙁

well I'm a MD resident and I've heard of a number of residents getting phone calls yesterday... maybe i'm on the top of the waitlist... who knows! i just don't want to be one of the 13 who had the interview but totally gets rejected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for calling for us, so we didn't have to🙂 I was having the same freakout session you were I am guessing.
It is still going to be a long weekend, maybe the postal service will deliver a miracle on Saturday? Unlikely. Did you happen to catch if acceptance and rejection letters both are going out tomorrow, or just acceptances? No worries either way.
Time to take up drinking (again, ha ha)


For some reason (and I am just guessing) I feel that all letters are going out at the same time - but that is just the impression I got, so it could very well be wrong. Please feel to correct me if anyone knows for sure.
 
Joyce called me this morning and told me I was accepted!! I'm sure it's only a matter of time for the rest of you to hear!! Good luck!!
 
If any out-of-staters start hearing anything let us know so the freaking out can begin. I'm not expecting to hear anything until the 23rd, though. Hopefully the interview went as well as I thought it did.
 
Rejected🙁

Not really a surprise after my crap interview, but I still had a little hope. Good luck to the rest of you!
 
Yea, Joyce called me today too! Yay!

I am sorry to hear that fargeese, it happens to the best of us! 🙁
 
Rejected🙁

Not really a surprise after my crap interview, but I still had a little hope. Good luck to the rest of you!

Sorry to hear that. I have a feeling i'll be in the same boat. 🙁 How did you find out?
 
I already live in Blacksburg, but I have heard that Ms. Massie is a good resource for the good places to live.
 
I already live in Blacksburg, but I have heard that Ms. Massie is a good resource for the good places to live.

Wow, that's great for you. I can't complain though, my undergrad school is 2 minutes from my house so I've had almost 4 years now of ease. I've actually located a house I like but I'll have to do a roommate search which puts the brakes on. Can't afford $875 on my own! 🙄
 
Yea, we live in a house that is 2 minutes from the vet school - my fiance bought it - so i consider myself very lucky.

so winterfire, are you def. going to va-med? where is the house you are looking at? we live in a great neighborhood and i know there are some vet students who live around this neighborhood as well.
 
Yea, we live in a house that is 2 minutes from the vet school - my fiance bought it - so i consider myself very lucky.

so winterfire, are you def. going to va-med? where is the house you are looking at? we live in a great neighborhood and i know there are some vet students who live around this neighborhood as well.


Yup, looks like I'm VA-MD bound. 🙂 The house I am looking at is on Giles Road, a part where 460 and Henry Patrick Drive come to a crossing, if that helps any. It's about 1.5 miles from the campus and about a four minute drive which would be great. What neighborhood do you live on? I'm basically on the search right now so any ideas or recommendations would be great!
 
Meh, bit the bullet and called today. On the alternate list - 35 people are on the alternate list. First round of offers have until April 15th to decline/accept their position. Think that's all the info I squeezed out of Dr. Reardon. They will call the individuals on the alternate list as soon as the spots become available.

I was also comforted that it does not necessarily mean I'm #35 on the list. They really know how to destroy you without pushing you to the suicidal breaking point 😛 Oh how I can smile at that as that information was actually the best part of the day so far.

banghead.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meh is right. Too bad this is my first response from anyone... they weren't even nice when I called! Oh well... better than a rejection?
 
Bah. We are a sorry, limbo-ed bunch. Awfully pessimistic too, though. 🙂 I can imagine reading these posts if I hadn't just gotten wait-listed and thinking "those silly sad people... chin up!"
 
I was too chicken to call, hopefully a waitlist is waiting for me in the mail next week...but then again I'm not sure how much VA-MD's waitlist moves anyways -oh well.
 
I wish I had asked when I called if VA-MD residents get preference once on the waitlist, or if everyone is considered semi-equal once there (ie. were ALL the VA-MD residents put first on the list because they are residents).
 
I wish I had asked when I called if VA-MD residents get preference once on the waitlist, or if everyone is considered semi-equal once there (ie. were ALL the VA-MD residents put first on the list because they are residents).

I got the idea that they have 3 waitlists... one for VA residents, one for MD, and the other for out of state. I know they put 15 people on the MD waitlist, and I'm on there, crossing my fingers that someone would rather go elsewhere and pay twice as much for their tuition, seeing as being on a waitlist is the best news I've heard so far.
 
I got the idea that they have 3 waitlists... one for VA residents, one for MD, and the other for out of state. I know they put 15 people on the MD waitlist, and I'm on there, crossing my fingers that someone would rather go elsewhere and pay twice as much for their tuition, seeing as being on a waitlist is the best news I've heard so far.

Hrm, would that mean that they have a total of 35 people on all three wait lists then? Seems odd they'd put 35 people on the wait list for out-of-staters when there were only 10 positions available.

Here's hoping everyone declines. Out of the schools I've had a chance to visit, VA gets a huge boost in my eyes because of the setting. I'll end up waiting till next year and reapplying I think. Maybe move and get residency 😛
 
I think it would kind of make sense to have 35 people on a waitlist for 10 spots for the out of staters. Chances are, those people are going to have a few schools to choose from, and may choose to go to their state school instead. I think that people may be more likely to decline the out of state positions than the in-state positions.

Just my opinion.
 
I am! I am not going to sit in on any of the classes (I have to work), but I think I am going to do the dessert thing Friday afternoon and then the open house and picnic on Sat.
 
I've been accepted to both and am really conflicted. Tufts has great programs and philosophies, as far as I can tell (stray cat spay/neuter, vs. purpose-bred, for instance). The professors and other students seem nice and supportive; I have a friend who goes there and I trust her judgment.🙂
Also, I'd like to do wildlife medicine, so the Wildlife Center would be awesome!

But...since I'm in-state (MD), VA-MD will cost about half as much. And cost of living is much lower there, too. And it too seems like a very good place to be.
I would SO appreciate anyone's thoughts comparing the two schools. I know if there's anyone whose thought about these things, it's this forum!
 
I've been accepted to both and am really conflicted. Tufts has great programs and philosophies, as far as I can tell (stray cat spay/neuter, vs. purpose-bred, for instance). The professors and other students seem nice and supportive; I have a friend who goes there and I trust her judgment.🙂
Also, I'd like to do wildlife medicine, so the Wildlife Center would be awesome!

But...since I'm in-state (MD), VA-MD will cost about half as much. And cost of living is much lower there, too. And it too seems like a very good place to be.
I would SO appreciate anyone's thoughts comparing the two schools. I know if there's anyone whose thought about these things, it's this forum!

You might try posting this as a big discussion topic and not just within this thread. 🙂

I don't know anything about Tufts personally so I can't compare. I can say that while the price is right with VA-MD (in-state MD here), it's probably not the best to go by price alone. I know the people who go there like it. I personally work for someone who attended VA-MD and have seen the campus and love it. If you are looking for wildlife work Tufts would probably be the right choice. I don't think Blacksburg works much with that.

Whatever you choose, I hope you're happy!
 
I am going to the prospective student weekend, I am going to try and make it to some of the classes on Friday and I know I will go to the open house and other the other activities they have planned for us....see everyone there!

On a side note...Tufts is better for wildlife but VA-MD has ties with D.C. so that could be a plus for VA-MD. If you have questions about the wildlife aspect of VA-MD I suggest you talk to Dr. Mashima from the MD campus he is board certified in zoological medicine and is a diplomat of the American College of Zoological Medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted to both and am really conflicted. Tufts has great programs and philosophies, as far as I can tell (stray cat spay/neuter, vs. purpose-bred, for instance). The professors and other students seem nice and supportive; I have a friend who goes there and I trust her judgment.🙂
Also, I'd like to do wildlife medicine, so the Wildlife Center would be awesome!

But...since I'm in-state (MD), VA-MD will cost about half as much. And cost of living is much lower there, too. And it too seems like a very good place to be.
I would SO appreciate anyone's thoughts comparing the two schools. I know if there's anyone whose thought about these things, it's this forum!
let's see who can rack up the most debt!! i'll put in a good run with all the surgery residencies i'll be doing, and you can be right there next to me going to an out of state private school!

haha, seriously though, debt comes with any professional school. what's a ltitle more? 🙂 and i think i may have said this to cyrille, but if you're truly interested in wildlife, i think (again, just my little personal opinion) you'd be silly to go anywhere other than tufts. not only do they offer courses that are worth more than one credit, but they have an entire wildlife hospital. ok, before i step on any toes here, i'm sure there are other good wildlife schools, but i'm comparing tufts to va-md. depends how tight you can tolerate your belt after graduation, but if your heart is in wildlife, don't let the tight belt stop it 😉
 
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! One interesting thing about VA-MD is that during my interview, I expressed the concerns I had about wildlife and they seemed really willing to work with you to make sure you go the experience you wanted aside from your "track". I'll be at the prospective students weekend on March 30/31, so I definitely plan to ask how they might make up for fairly minimal (well, compared to Tufts!) wildlife electives and clinic. It may be that they can point you toward good summer opportunities to get that experience?
Both schools seem really interested in and willing to work with the students, which is one of my most important factors, since I'll be there four years! Has everyone else found this to be the case with the schools they are looking at?
 
I am in undergrad at Virginia Tech, and I know that there is a Wildlife Club at VA-MD (although I am not sure to what extent they do things). They have called me up a couple of times to transport injured wildlife to rehabilitators in Roanoke (unfortunately, I have always had previous plans, since they call you without notice). Also, there is the Virginia Wildlife Center which is ~2hrs away (far, I know), but they have awesome facilities, and you can do internships and externships there over the summers and during your 4th year, I believe. Hmm, that is all I know of offhand, but hopefully they can give you more info at the openhouse (see you there!)
 
Thanks Zoey! It's good to know there are some decent wildlife facilities affiliated with VA-MD. I was talking to a vet yesterday who had a very high opinion of the state of the art at VA-MD, which was good to hear.
I know the Wildlife Club had a table at last year's open house, so I plan to stop by with all these questions. Enjoy yourself and see you there!
 
I am going to the prospective student weekend, I am going to try and make it to some of the classes on Friday and I know I will go to the open house and other the other activities they have planned for us....see everyone there!


So is this prospective student weekend something just for admitted students (I'm waitlisted, but still would like to check some of this stuff out)?
 
So is this prospective student weekend something just for admitted students (I'm waitlisted, but still would like to check some of this stuff out)?

The open house is for anyone who wants to come! I have been previously as a "pre-vet" seeking information about applying, and there seemed to be a lot of the community there as well. You can get tours, talk to the admission woman, check out the clubs, and see some cool stuff.

Here is a link to some info about it, and a pdf of the events of the day.

http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/Organization/Academic/openhouse/index.asp
 
The open house is for anyone who wants to come! I have been previously as a "pre-vet" seeking information about applying, and there seemed to be a lot of the community there as well. You can get tours, talk to the admission woman, check out the clubs, and see some cool stuff.

Here is a link to some info about it, and a pdf of the events of the day.

http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/Organization/Academic/openhouse/index.asp

Right, I saw that, but I guess whatever stuff they having going on on Friday is for accepted students? I suppose thats what my question is. I'll probably try to go down there, but I don't want to do the drive alone. Normally I'd say my mom would come, but my daddy's birthday is that weekend so I'm sure they have plans.
 
Hi everyone!
I wanted to post a little note, as I know exactly what you guys are going through... I was an out-of-stater that was accepted to VA-MD (VMRCVM), and honestly, I really like it here!

Don't stress out, and come to the Open House/Prospective Student weekend-- I know it's late (it starts tomorrow), but it really should be fantastic!

ALSO... I have a one bedroom apartment for rent. I need to sublease it for the summer as I need to go back to my old job for the summer and it's 800 miles away from here. I don't really want to pay for two rents, so I'm looking for the right person to stay here. It's a fantastic apartment, and very close to nearly everything in Blacksburg. It would be a great chance for you to get your bearings around the area for a few weeks/months before starting school. Many people took the summer off before school, and honestly, I think it was the best decision (I couldn't...).

PLEASE let me know if you are interested in it. The rent is $590 and is available from May 15-August 15 (but the dates are flexible).

Details of the apartment: In the Cedarfield comples, off of South Main St. Wall-to-wall carpeting, heat/central air, walk out patio, storage, tons of closet space, new appliances, clean and really in perfect condition. Can be left furnished if needed.

It's best to private message me, or let me know (via post) that you are interested!

Thanks and GOOD LUCK and let me know if you need anything for information!!