This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just thought I'd let you know that I spoke to someone on the phone and essentially nothing can be done about it. The only option is to write about it in the explanation statement portion.
What I would do here is contact the schools you're applying to and point this out/ask their advice. Schools often recalculate your GPAs according to their standards anyways since VMCAS is not one-size-fits-all to begin with. You can ask how they would approach this in your case. There are many different grading scales out there so it's my understanding that schools try to standardize them a bit, but I could be wrong.

ETA: You may also want to know if the schools would deflate or inflate your GPA with their individual recalculation. Depending on where you'll fall on their scale/historical admitted student GPAs/requirements, you may feel you may be more/less competitive (or you could in theory be below their minimum GPA requirement, or pushed above it when you were below it before, if you had a lower GPA to begin with). Food for thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I applied three years ago, I just listed all club activities under part-time, if I remember correctly. I honestly don't think that it's a big deal however you decide to classify it.

Not very. I would simply try to approximate the time of the month that you started and pick a date from there. It's highly doubtful that any adcomm is going to contact your employer to confirm a detail like that for a short summer job after high school, anyway. Especially so since it's not vet- or animal-related.

I realize that this is much easier said than done, but try to not overthink the small things. :)

Thanks! I'm stressing about everything, even though I know they probably don't actually care if I started working as a cashier on June 20th or June 15th. I just want the actual application process to be over already.

Thanks! I'm stressing about everything, even though I know they probably don't actually care if I started working as a cashier on June 20th or June 15th. I just want the actual application process to be over already.
Don't stress. I didn't know dates for really any of mine and so I used the first of the month on most things including when I started and ended undergrad. I figured they would know that they were approximations.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about LORs.. I’ve worked at one vet clinic for the past three years and have gotten close to the vets who work there. I want to have at least one of them write me a letter, and I also for sure want my supervisor at the same clinic to write me one too. Would it look bad if I had another doctor from that same clinic write me a letter? I really want to have two from DVMs, but I don’t know if it would look bad to have three letters from the same clinic. Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about LORs.. I’ve worked at one vet clinic for the past three years and have gotten close to the vets who work there. I want to have at least one of them write me a letter, and I also for sure want my supervisor at the same clinic to write me one too. Would it look bad if I had another doctor from that same clinic write me a letter? I really want to have two from DVMs, but I don’t know if it would look bad to have three letters from the same clinic. Let me know what you guys think.

I had three dvm letters only, two from the same clinic, but I also teched at that clinic for 5 years. It didn't stop me from getting admitted, but MSU is very experience based so I'm not sure. I think it's also important that those letters are very strong. If they have only known you for 3 months and are like "dr.lyssypoo is nice but I don't know her very well" that will hurt your app way more

Reactions: 1 users

I would try to get one from someone else if possible, like a professor or a non-vet work supervisor. I don't think 3 strong letters from those vets would be bad necessarily, but ideally you want letters from people who have seen you in a variety of environments and can speak to your abilities there. I think a strong letter from a professor or academic advisor would be pretty valuable considering the first 2-3 years of vet school are mostly in the classroom.

I would try to get one from someone else if possible, like a professor or a non-vet work supervisor. I don't think 3 strong letters from those vets would be bad necessarily, but ideally you want letters from people who have seen you in a variety of environments and can speak to your abilities there. I think a strong letter from a professor or academic advisor would be pretty valuable considering the first 2-3 years of vet school are mostly in the classroom.

Sorry if I phrased it weird, but I actually was going to have two from the vets and 1 from my supervisor/boss at that clinic, so that’s a little more variety I guess. My problem with asking a professor is that I go to a big university and have never become close to any of my professors. I had the same professor for two chem classes, and I could ask her, but I’ve barely even talked to her in person and she for sure doesn’t know me. I was considering maybe the executive director at the humane society I volunteer with in addition to my boss and the two vets. I don’t know if that’s enough variety

I need some advice on what experience to put in my app. I'm almost 26, so have been out of high school for 7 years. How far back should I go? Should I add stuff from H.S. (i.e. student of the month, scholarships I received for college, volunteer exp. etc)?

Sorry if I phrased it weird, but I actually was going to have two from the vets and 1 from my supervisor/boss at that clinic, so that’s a little more variety I guess. My problem with asking a professor is that I go to a big university and have never become close to any of my professors. I had the same professor for two chem classes, and I could ask her, but I’ve barely even talked to her in person and she for sure doesn’t know me. I was considering maybe the executive director at the humane society I volunteer with in addition to my boss and the two vets. I don’t know if that’s enough variety

Don’t ask a professor that doesn’t know you. It’ll just be a generic letter that can hurt your app. And you CAN have more than three letters. Does the humane society director know you well? If not, is there someone who DOES know you well at the humane society who could write you one?

Reactions: 2 users
I need some advice on what experience to put in my app. I'm almost 26, so have been out of high school for 7 years. How far back should I go? Should I add stuff from H.S. (i.e. student of the month, scholarships I received for college, volunteer exp. etc)?
I’d add it. 7 years out isn’t that long. I was out for 5 (now 6) and still put my hs stuff down. Most people applying are at least 3-4 years out, if they apply junior going into sr year of college but lots of people (including me) apply after being out longer.

I graduated from high school in 2002 and I included everything from high school and even a couple things from middle school (a national sport award, horse back riding from childhood, some volunteer stuff). If it's not relevant, they will ignore it.

Per VMCAS instructions (if it's the same as last year) 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t ask a professor that doesn’t know you. It’ll just be a generic letter that can hurt your app. And you CAN have more than three letters. Does the humane society director know you well? If not, is there someone who DOES know you well at the humane society who could write you one?

Thanks for the advice, I thought the same thing about the professor. She does know me well, I’ve been working under her for a little over two years, and we’ve talked a lot over this time about me wanting to go to vet school, so I’m sure she recognizes my dedication to the field and can also talk about my volunteer work, which hopefully can add some variety to my letters

Thanks for the advice, I thought the same thing about the professor. She does know me well, I’ve been working under her for a little over two years, and we’ve talked a lot over this time about me wanting to go to vet school, so I’m sure she recognizes my dedication to the field and can also talk about my volunteer work, which hopefully can add some variety to my letters

I assume the first sentence about the prof and the rest of it are separate and the rest is about the humane society director, correct :laugh:

Quick question regarding transcripts. If I've applied previously, do I need to resend my transcripts to VMCAS? I have courses from several schools, I know I would need to send an updated transcript for the school I'm currently finishing my masters at, but other than that do they need my old ones again?

Quick question regarding transcripts. If I've applied previously, do I need to resend my transcripts to VMCAS? I have courses from several schools, I know I would need to send an updated transcript for the school I'm currently finishing my masters at, but other than that do they need my old ones again?
Ones you haven’t taken any further classes at you do not need to resend. And for the gre, you may not need to resend them either if they were sent to a vmcas school code. I didn’t have to resend them for my second cycle and they said they were received the original date, but I called vmcas to make sure I was all set.

I assume the first sentence about the prof and the rest of it are separate and the rest is about the humane society director, correct :laugh:

Yes

Hey guys! I have a question about filling out the experience section. I shadowed at a clinic during middle and high school, then was later employed by that clinic to work in the kennels and I am now a vet assistant. Should I list these as 3 different experiences separately or all as one experience on my app?

Hey guys! I have a question about filling out the experience section. I shadowed at a clinic during middle and high school, then was later employed by that clinic to work in the kennels and I am now a vet assistant. Should I list these as 3 different experiences separately or all as one experience on my app?
I would compile all of your shadowing hours as one experience entry, then list the paid employment as another. A promotion doesn't warrant a separate experience entry imo, just work on utilizing the description efficiently so you can list all of your duties and whatnot. I also don't think there is really an 'incorrect' way to do this, you just don't want to be redundant if you don't have to be.

How many scholarships are too many to list under the achievements section on the application? I have applied to (an thankfully been awarded) a lot of animal science/ag scholarships. Since freshman year of college I have received over 30 scholarships. Is that way too many to list and should I narrow it down?

How many scholarships are too many to list under the achievements section on the application? I have applied to (an thankfully been awarded) a lot of animal science/ag scholarships. Since freshman year of college I have received over 30 scholarships. Is that way too many to list and should I narrow it down?
I’d list em all! It’s an accomplishment!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all,

Applying this semester, first time. When doing the transcript review, I need to imput my placement tests and it's listed on my transcript but doesnt have a grade, nor a semester that I took it in. Any imput?

Thanks!

2nd time applicant here... do I need to send all of my transcripts to VMCAS again?

Has anyone got any tips or input/advice on the new 3 small essays instead of the personal statement? There are about 10 million books and blog posts on how to write a PS but nothing on what adcoms are really looking for in these essays. I’m usually a straightforward, get what you see type of person, so the PS was a challenge to write in the past with the whole “show don’t tell” method. Should we be following suit with these essays? Any ideas of links to more input?

Has anyone got any tips or input/advice on the new 3 small essays instead of the personal statement? There are about 10 million books and blog posts on how to write a PS but nothing on what adcoms are really looking for in these essays. I’m usually a straightforward, get what you see type of person, so the PS was a challenge to write in the past with the whole “show don’t tell” method. Should we be following suit with these essays? Any ideas of links to more input?
Just my opinion, but with your character limitations you don't have time to bs around which iirc was part of the reasons why schools wanted the 3 essays vs a PS. So be direct, short, concise, while portraying who you are-individual/goals/views/etc. Just write and answer the questions, most likely you're going to have to go back and cut your essays.
ETA: adcoms want you to answer these as you would so they can see your maturity, understanding, experiences, and plan to navigate school and this profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Just my opinion, but with your character limitations you don't have time to bs around which iirc was part of the reasons why schools wanted the 3 essays vs a PS. So be direct, short, concise, while portraying who you are-individual/goals/views/etc. Just write and answer the questions, most likely you're going to have to go back and cut your essays.
ETA: adcoms want you to answer these as you would so they can see your maturity, understanding, experiences, and plan to navigate school and this profession.

Adding to what mixy said, utilize the readers on the list!!!! I think the link is in the first post?

Do you have to make a new account if you've already applied the previous year? Is there any way to transfer all that basic info?

Do you have to make a new account if you've already applied the previous year? Is there any way to transfer all that basic info?
You don’t need to make a new account. I think you still sign in with your old stuff and then there should be a transfer button to get your old info and then it’ll email (?) you when your app is ready for you to go back into once they transfer your info over

You don’t need to make a new account. I think you still sign in with your old stuff and then there should be a transfer button to get your old info and then it’ll email (?) you when your app is ready for you to go back into once they transfer your info over

Yes! As I found out from logging in, VMCAS transferred most info over. Thanks

Quick question for VMCAS:
Do I list honor roll (deans/president's list) under "awards" or "honors" since it seems like it could be applied to either? I put it under the latter since it made more sense to me.

Quick question for VMCAS:
Do I list honor roll (deans/president's list) under "awards" or "honors" since it seems like it could be applied to either? I put it under the latter since it made more sense to me.
It makes brains happy to keep honor roll in honors section probably, or at least for mine it does. haha

Hello,

I was chosen as an undergraduate TA for an animal science class this upcoming fall semester. Is there anywhere that I can put this on the VMCAS? I would like to submit it before classes start so that everything has time to be verified.

Hello,

I was chosen as an undergraduate TA for an animal science class this upcoming fall semester. Is there anywhere that I can put this on the VMCAS? I would like to submit it before classes start so that everything has time to be verified.
Are you getting any class credit for it? If so, in progress classes. If not, I’m not sure if you could list it anywhere since it’s a future experience and vmcas specifically says no future experiences.
When does your semester start?

Are you getting any class credit for it? If so, in progress classes. If not, I’m not sure if you could list it anywhere since it’s a future experience and vmcas specifically says no future experiences.
When does your semester start?

It starts at the end of August

I have a question about GRE percentiles changing. I took the GRE less than a month ago and my percentiles have suddenly changed. My math and writing percentiles have gone down a bit, while my verbal has remained the same. If I already sent my scores to schools on test day, what percentile will they see (my original or the new)?

I have a question about GRE percentiles changing. I took the GRE less than a month ago and my percentiles have suddenly changed. My math and writing percentiles have gone down a bit, while my verbal has remained the same. If I already sent my scores to schools on test day, what percentile will they see (my original or the new)?
They shouldn't change once you have official scores. Sounds like maybe the original ones were the unofficial ones that you got right after taking the test? If so, they send your official scores so that will be the new ones.

They shouldn't change once you have official scores. Sounds like maybe the original ones were the unofficial ones that you got right after taking the test? If so, they send your official scores so that will be the new ones.

I took it in May and got an email about 10 days after the test saying that my official scores were ready, and it showed my percentiles. My quant was 76 % tile. I logged on today to send the score to additional schools and now it says my quant is 74%. I read somewhere online that they update the percentiles on June 30th so maybe they just got changed.

I took it in May and got an email about 10 days after the test saying that my official scores were ready, and it showed my percentiles. My quant was 76 % tile. I logged on today to send the score to additional schools and now it says my quant is 74%. I read somewhere online that they update the percentiles on June 30th so maybe they just got changed.
Huh, interesting. I'm thinking they would probably send the updated scores to the schools. If it's just a couple percentage points it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Are any of my fellow reapplicants using the same essays as they had last cycle? Tweaking and rewording my old essays would be much easier than starting from scratch but i'm not sure if it will hurt my application in some way....

Are any of my fellow reapplicants using the same essays as they had last cycle? Tweaking and rewording my old essays would be much easier than starting from scratch but i'm not sure if it will hurt my application in some way....
I was strongly advised against doing that when I did file reviews. Unless you're really satisfied with how it was the first application cycle, I'd write about something different. Some schools do look back at the previous application to see what you changed.

Huh, interesting. I'm thinking they would probably send the updated scores to the schools. If it's just a couple percentage points it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Since the percentiles are based on how you do compared to how everyone else has done, wouldn't they change as the summer goes on since more people will have taken the test?

Since the percentiles are based on how you do compared to how everyone else has done, wouldn't they change as the summer goes on since more people will have taken the test?
I always figured that was why there was a point where they sent you your "official" scores. Like it's based on the group of people taking it within a certain time period. But in any case, I believe the report also includes your numerical score, which shouldn't change.

Hello,
I am a first time applicant here, RVT for the last 4 years. My question is where do I put certain things. For example I’m a member of my local dog kennel club and breed club. I show and breed Americans staffordshire terriers. I also have assisted with embryo transfers in cattle as well as reproductive work in horses. Would this all go under experience?

Hello,
I am a first time applicant here, RVT for the last 4 years. My question is where do I put certain things. For example I’m a member of my local dog kennel club and breed club. I show and breed Americans staffordshire terriers. I also have assisted with embryo transfers in cattle as well as reproductive work in horses. Would this all go under experience?
Yes. The dog breeding stuff would be animal experience. The cattle and horse work is presumably vet experience, unless there wasn't a vet involved for some reason.

Hi guys,

I have a question about assigning courses to meet specific prerequisites on VMCAS. CSU requires 30 electives. I'm assuming these can be any course that does not fulfill another requirement? More importantly, is it better to choose 30 courses where you have earned an A, or is 30 "higher level" courses preferable?