VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I was wondering if UC Davis replaces retaken courses with new and improved grades. I just realized VMCAS doesn't do the retake GPA calculations and that the school you applied to has to themself. Their website says the "averaged into your gpa" so I'm a little confused about the wording and if both grades will be added or just the new one. Thank you if anybody knows!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I was wondering if UC Davis replaces retaken courses with new and improved grades. I just realized VMCAS doesn't do the retake GPA calculations and that the school you applied to has to themself. Their website says the "averaged into your gpa" so I'm a little confused about the wording and if both grades will be added or just the new one. Thank you if anybody knows!
I believe they include both in the science GPA. So if you got a 3.0 originally then 4.0 on retake it would effectively lead to a 3.5 overall for the class. That’s how I interpret it anyway, you may want to email svm admissions though if you’re concerned.

Hello again!

I was reviewing my PDF application and noticed that two honors classes that I were marked as not honors; I know I marked these as honors while finalizing my transcripts however. Is there any way I can fix this? It has the designated course code for honors so I`m assuming they can see that but still pretty :/

Thank you! and good luck to you all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
So I misunderstood the part for the self-reported GPA and put my high school GPA because my foolish head thought "oh they're asking about hs since VMCAS and your transcript already calculates your GPA for you so why would you need to put that in your background page". Did I just ruin my chances of getting in? I already submitted it so I can't change it :(

Hello,
So I misunderstood the part for the self-reported GPA and put my high school GPA because my foolish head thought "oh they're asking about hs since VMCAS and your transcript already calculates your GPA for you so why would you need to put that in your background page". Did I just ruin my chances of getting in? I already submitted it so I can't change it :(
You can contact schools individually to update. Keep email/call short n sweet and to the point. Mistakes happen :)

Hello,
I also did this last cycle. It was not a problem for any of the schools I applied to and I was told that they don’t even look at the self reported. Probably best just to check in with programs anyway. But don’t stress!

I submitted my VMCAs in the beginning of September and I realized that I put "Dr." as the title of the supervisor for some of my experiences. I think they were asking more for the role of the supervisor but, now I can't change it. All the contact info and names are right, should I take any steps to update schools or is this not a big deal.

I submitted my VMCAs in the beginning of September and I realized that I put "Dr." as the title of the supervisor for some of my experiences. I think they were asking more for the role of the supervisor but, now I can't change it. All the contact info and names are right, should I take any steps to update schools or is this not a big deal.
This shouldn't make much, if any, difference in how adcomms evaluate your application. You're not the first person to make that mistake and you certainly won't be the last. So long as your supervisors' actual names and contact information are correct, you should be fine!

Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Way back in 2012 I did the same thing. Then I did it again in 2016 for the VIRMP. Felt like a fool but I still got in to vet school and matched to a residency so apparently it's not that uncommon a mistake.

So I submitted my application today. I'm a reapplicant so my experiences transferred from last years app to this years app. I forgot to edit one experience to include more hours... my application last year listed that I had 1800 hours at a vet practice, but since then I have like close to 2500 hours.
Do you think it'll make that big of a difference? or should I add another experience with the same info but just add the difference in the hours ???

So I submitted my application today. I'm a reapplicant so my experiences transferred from last years app to this years app. I forgot to edit one experience to include more hours... my application last year listed that I had 1800 hours at a vet practice, but since then I have like close to 2500 hours.
Do you think it'll make that big of a difference? or should I add another experience with the same info but just add the difference in the hours ???
It could only help I think

perfect storm of events (including an over 4-month long appeal to fix a small mistake on my transcript that was supposed to have taken 3-4 weeks) made it so that my official transcripts from my primary school won’t be postmarked till 9/30. legit because the mail guy didn’t show up to that registrar office today because of COVID related postal reasons.

VMCAS said there’s no way they would be able to even post it without verifying and my school somehow doesn’t offer e-transcript transfer despite being a massive state school.

pour one out for me guys. I am SUPER bummed at the prospect of taking a third gap year.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same exact thing with not even realizing it was supposed to say Veterinarian until I just saw this. Hopefully it dosent matter

So I am trying to access my VMCAS application to copy my VMCAS ID as well as it is nice to view my submitted school pdfs. However, when I clicked the website today it says the application is closed, but students can still view their application. But it doesn't provide a space to login. Does anyone know how to access the login then?

So I am trying to access my VMCAS application to copy my VMCAS ID as well as it is nice to view my submitted school pdfs. However, when I clicked the website today it says the application is closed, but students can still view their application. But it doesn't provide a space to login. Does anyone know how to access the login then?
Contact vmcas help. After a certain point of the app being closed they don’t allow access but they can get you a pdf.

I am a career switcher (long story short, was accepted to vet school, declined the offer, covid happened, and I reapplied this cycle).

I just got an email saying Arizona ended my review because my application wasn't verified with one of the transcripts. VMCAS told me the same thing (that they didn't receive it ever) but I have a receipt after it was* received and emailed it to both VMCAS and Arizona.

I guess.... this means every school I applied to is going to end my review if VMCAS never verified the transcript I sent before the deadline (my other transcript was verified and sent on the same day).

If this was a mistake on VMCAS' side, would I be able to get a refund (it was near $1000)? I'm freaking out and trying not to go crazy this weekend.

Hey Heather! I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. I would encourage you to try to reach out to VMCAS to correct their mistake. A while ago I read an article about a vet student who had a similar situation happen to him. I’m attaching a photo for reference. I hope this helps and you can have some resolution. Good luck!

The link to the article is: One Students Journey to Becoming a CSU Vet School Student
IMG_0108.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Heather! I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. I would encourage you to try to reach out to VMCAS to correct their mistake. A while ago I read an article about a vet student who had a similar situation happen to him. I’m attaching a photo for reference. I hope this helps and you can have some resolution. Good luck!

The link to the article is: One Students Journey to Becoming a CSU Vet School Student View attachment 344863
omg! That's crazy. Yeah I went bonkers tonight at home. VMCAS told me "do not send the transcript as the cycle is over" and I had to send the receipt saying it had already been sent to them a month+ ago.

I'll see what VMCAS replies with and Arizona. Then I'll call the other schools once I hear from VMCAS. Hopefully Monday.

Yeah... stressed is an understatement. lol!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Glad to hear that! I hope VMCAS makes things right for you. I know with the amount of applications that they process they must make mistakes every now and then. I’m sure if you explain the situation to the schools I’m sure they will try to work with you.

Also sorry for calling you Heather! I think I was reading another username when I wrote that message.
Hope everything gets straightened out!

I am a career switcher (long story short, was accepted to vet school, declined the offer, covid happened, and I reapplied this cycle).

I just got an email saying Arizona ended my review because my application wasn't verified with one of the transcripts. VMCAS told me the same thing (that they didn't receive it ever) but I have a receipt after it was* received and emailed it to both VMCAS and Arizona.

I guess.... this means every school I applied to is going to end my review if VMCAS never verified the transcript I sent before the deadline (my other transcript was verified and sent on the same day).

If this was a mistake on VMCAS' side, would I be able to get a refund (it was near $1000)? I'm freaking out and trying not to go crazy this weekend.
So I had a sort of similar situation, except that VMCAS confirmed they received my transcript, but then at the time of verification they said my application could not be verified as they had not received one of my transcripts. I totally freaked. They told me they did receive a transcript from me, but that it had another student's name on it??? Long story short, I harassed the heck out of them and they fixed it for me and verified my app. I posted about it here on SDN. If this is their mistake then you have every right for them to refund you at the BARE minimum.

are finals making anyone else feel 10x more nervous about hearing back from schools? Like, just piling on any extra stress? :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
are finals making anyone else feel 10x more nervous about hearing back from schools? Like, just piling on any extra stress? :rofl:

Ya it’s like a wheel of “what should I stress about today” and it just lands on something different everyday😂😖

• Haha
Ya it’s like a wheel of “what should I stress about today” and it just lands on something different everyday😂😖
I feel this so much (just look at the time stamp lol). Also hearing about other people getting interview invites has me anxiously waiting for mine 😖

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, 😭 I'm a grad student, and have my first grad seminar presentation on Wednesday and I'm dying inside (a little on the outside too).

Do we send Fall 2021 transcripts to VMCAS? (If so, is it the same process as the other transcripts?) Or is it only if requested by the specific school?
Thanks!!

No, do not send anything else to VMCAS. Fall transcript submission is school specific, and the transcripts are emailed/mailed to admissions office. Look on the admissions procedure pages for each school and see what the policies are. For some schools, this is not posted and I emailed the admissions office to ask. If there are specific schools that you are unsure about after your research, post them here and maybe another user or I can help!

Last edited by a moderator: