VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm starting a job in the necropsy lab of my IS school (undecided if I'm applying there or not bc of certain requirements). I'm wondering what kind of experience this would fall under?
Will you be under direct supervision of a DVM (fairly likely since it's a vet school)? If yes, then you can consider it veterinary experience.

ETA: For future reference for applicants, here is a flowchart that you can use to determine what category experiences fall under. I don't believe the current version of the VMCAS Help page still uses it, but it might prove handy and the breakdown criteria itself hasn't really changed.

7A2E270E-8E2D-4808-B5D0-9754721CA4DB.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think there will be a rise in applicants again this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to come on here to make sure that there is no harm in submitting an application going into my senior year of undergraduate. I havent found anything that frowns upon this and I actually thought this was the "traditional" route but its still making me very very nervous! I have to do physics, biochemistry and statistics still. I am nervous that I will be rejected to all schools im applying to (11) because they are picking applicants that have these pre reqs completed. AHHH so stressful. Any insight will be great! Also for those who applied to Cornell - these supplemental questions are the hardest things I have ever had to write in my life :'))).

I wanted to come on here to make sure that there is no harm in submitting an application going into my senior year of undergraduate. I havent found anything that frowns upon this and I actually thought this was the "traditional" route but its still making me very very nervous! I have to do physics, biochemistry and statistics still. I am nervous that I will be rejected to all schools im applying to (11) because they are picking applicants that have these pre reqs completed. AHHH so stressful. Any insight will be great! Also for those who applied to Cornell - these supplemental questions are the hardest things I have ever had to write in my life :'))).

This is the traditional route.

Some schools may have a limit to how many outstanding prerequisites you can have but it is very common for people to not have some prerequisites not completed at the time of application. If accepted, your acceptance will just typically be contingent on you completing them by a certain time--so I would also make sure you know the time frame for that.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been struggling with my essays lately and I'm not sure if I should include this in them. My mom works at my IS school and had heavily steered me clear of the Veterinary field. The moment she even sniffed I was interested in vet work, she drilled into my head to go to med school instead because it's the "same work with more pay." It's one of the biggest reasons I stayed away from the vet field for so long. I feel weird talking about this since my IS school will know who my mother is.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with my essays because I'm not sure if I should include this in them. My mom works at my IS school and had heavily steered me clear of being in the Veterinary field. The moment she even sniffed I was interested in vet work, she drilled into my head to go to med school instead because it's the "same work with more pay." She always told me to never become a vet,, and when I dropped pre-med sophomore year of college to purse vetmed she was severely disappointed. I feel weird talking about this since my IS school will know who my mother is.
I’m by no means an expert on personal statements (and highly recommend that anyone bounce off ideas with someone in the personal statement readers thread- was very helpful for me when I applied last year!), but I would not include that. I think that would be too negative while also not really saying anything about why you want to pursue this profession and what makes you a good fit for veterinary school. You’re going to want to maximize each sentence since you have what, like 500-600 words to convince vet schools to accept you? I think if you wanted, you could talk about your start in human medicine and whatever was the catalyst that drew you to vet med beyond just a love of animals without mentioning the people in your life who discouraged you from this path. After all, schools want to learn more about you, not anyone else! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I’m by no means an expert on personal statements (and highly recommend that anyone bounce off ideas with someone in the personal statement readers thread- was very helpful for me when I applied last year!), but I would not include that. I think that would be too negative while also not really saying anything about why you want to pursue this profession and what makes you a good fit for veterinary school. You’re going to want to maximize each sentence since you have what, like 500-600 words to convince vet schools to accept you? I think if you wanted, you could talk about your start in human medicine and whatever was the catalyst that drew you to vet med beyond just a love of animals without mentioning the people in your life who discouraged you from this path. After all, schools want to learn more about you, not anyone else! :)
Thank you! I wasn't going to go into too much depth about it, but just wanted to provide background for my post. But I think I won't include it at all! I've definitely included my previous work in human medicine in my other essays

If I took a college math and college french course in high school, but didn't receive any credit for them at the university I am attending, do I still need to report them and send transcripts? How would VMCAS or the schools I apply to know that I did those courses if I don't personally state them anywhere and what would happen if I don't get transcripts? Thanks!

Last edited:
If I took a college math and college french course in high school, but didn't receive any credit for them at the university I am attending, do I still need to report them and send transcripts? How would VMCAS or the schools I apply to know that I did those courses if I don't personally state them anywhere and what would happen if I don't get transcripts?
It’s falsifying your academic record to not report all college courses you have taken. It’s anyone’s guess whether or not vet school adcoms would find out, but I bet your acceptance (or interview invite, etc.) would be rescinded if they did.

It’s falsifying your academic record to not report all college courses you have taken. It’s anyone’s guess whether or not vet school adcoms would find out, but I bet your acceptance (or interview invite, etc.) would be rescinded if they did.
Those classes are also linked to OPs social security number which makes it easy for schools to search for them. I’m pretty sure someone on here accidentally left out a transcript for a high school college class and it was a B I G D E A L

Those classes are also linked to OPs social security number which makes it easy for schools to search for them. I’m pretty sure someone on here accidentally left out a transcript for a high school college class and it was a B I G D E A L
My brother in law forgot about some he took in high school and his app was automatically thrown out of grad school consideration...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I have now requested that my high school college transcripts be sent to VMCAS, but I'm wondering if this applies for AP courses as well? I was also wondering what you put for status (ex. Freshman) for college coursework in high school? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I have now requested that my high school college transcripts be sent to VMCAS, but I'm wondering if this applies for AP courses as well? I was also wondering what you put for status (ex. Freshman) for college coursework in high school? Thanks!
So I think it would depend on how your transcripts show them. For instance, my AP classes were all listed on my college transcript since they had course equivalents that I received credit for, so they were already included when I sent in my transcript. If you took AP tests but didn’t get credit for them or weren’t able to use them for credit at your college, I imagine you wouldn’t need to list them since they’re not technically college courses. I would see if they’re listed on your college transcript- if they’re listed on it as something like “30 credits of AP courses” without actually specifying which classes you got credit for, I think you might need to do a bit of legwork, but I think VMCAS should have some info about that. And you list anything done in high school as “freshman” for status!

Is there any way to send a letter of rec to one school and not others? There is one letter that is not needed except by one of the schools I'm applying to and would prefer not to send it to them if possible.

Is there any way to send a letter of rec to one school and not others? There is one letter that is not needed except by one of the schools I'm applying to and would prefer not to send it to them if possible.
Nope, they all get sent to every school through VMCAS. I doubt a school would accept a letter from outside of vmcas but you could email and check because worst case is they tell you no 🤷🏻‍♀️

After reviewing and finalizing transcripts through VMCAS, can I edit/add another class or that is the final step and I will not be able to edit it anymore?
thx!

If I took a college math and college french course in high school, but didn't receive any credit for them at the university I am attending, do I still need to report them and send transcripts? How would VMCAS or the schools I apply to know that I did those courses if I don't personally state them anywhere and what would happen if I don't get transcripts? Thanks!

Hi, I did this and it's a HUGE deal. I took Pre-Calculus with a community college while I was in high school and did not report it as a separate institution because it showed up on both my high school and college transcripts. Because of that, my VMCAS was kicked back to me, marked as incomplete, and my applications to Iowa and Illinois were immediately rejected. It cost me not just the opportunities, but the VMCAS fee and the supplemental application fees as well. Tufts thankfully accepted the transcript late and were very understanding. In short, report everything class related, no matter how irrelevant or insignificant it seems.

I actually took a math course the summer before starting high school at my local community college so that I wouldn’t be behind, and I actually ended up going to the same community college years later for undergrad credits. I did not report the class I took as a middle schooler 🤷🏼‍♀️. I had no issues but I’m not sure if the same would apply to you.

Hi, I did this and it's a HUGE deal. I took Pre-Calculus with a community college while I was in high school and did not report it as a separate institution because it showed up on both my high school and college transcripts. Because of that, my VMCAS was kicked back to me, marked as incomplete, and my applications to Iowa and Illinois were immediately rejected. It cost me not just the opportunities, but the VMCAS fee and the supplemental application fees as well. Tufts thankfully accepted the transcript late and were very understanding. In short, report everything class related, no matter how irrelevant or insignificant it seems.
I think you were actually the person I was remembering and referencing in my post! Are you applying again this cycle or doing a gap year? Either way, good luck!!!

AP classes were done through high school. So different there.

For community college courses through high school, you could start your search with your high school

I found the name of the community college that I took the dual credit course through. I was planning to call their dual credit coordinator tomorrow morning to see if they have my transcript from the dual credit course that I took during high school and see how I can get it sent over to VMCAS. I never thought that one dual credit course that I took in high school (and didn’t even use the credits in college) would cause me so many issues 4+ years later. I am terrified that I won’t be able to figure it out and this will make me unable to apply this cycle. I have done so much hard work.
You still have 2 months to get it figured out. You can do it!

I have a volunteer position processing adoption applications for a canine rescue. It is "related" to animals since I am calling veterinary clinics and contacting the applicants to make sure the dogs are good matches for them, but I am not handling the animals. I'm thinking this should just go under the "volunteer" category vs. animal experience. Does that seem correct?

I have a volunteer position processing adoption applications for a canine rescue. It is "related" to animals since I am calling veterinary clinics and contacting the applicants to make sure the dogs are good matches for them, but I am not handling the animals. I'm thinking this should just go under the "volunteer" category vs. animal experience. Does that seem correct?
I had a similar experience and I believe I put it under volunteer.

I think you were actually the person I was remembering and referencing in my post! Are you applying again this cycle or doing a gap year? Either way, good luck!!!
I haven't decided yet! I got an amazing job as an attendant in an oncology department at a huge vet hospital since my experience was lacking, and the doctors are so lovely. They take the time to teach us not only what we're doing but why, and are so understanding of why we're here. If I do apply this cycle, I think I will apply exclusively to Tufts. If I decide to wait another year, I'll probably apply to Tufts, Guelph, and at least four or five other schools. I realized that in trying to do all my pre-reqs in four semester, I really burnt myself out. I'm definitely still applying, I just might try to give myself some time :giggle:

• Love
Do you know if this counts for "dual credit" high school courses? I took a dual credit Gov Econ course in high school (I believe it was technically through a community college but I have absolutely no idea which one), but I never actually transferred the credits over to my undergraduate institution so I don't think I actually received any college credit for them at all. That was 4+ years ago so I have absolutely no idea how I would even begin to access those records since I never actually sent them/transferred credits to my undergrad institution. I genuinely have no idea how I would even obtain those records or if there even are any records of it that I can access.
Ah I just saw this; yes it does! The class I took was a dual-enrollment class through a state community college. Because it showed up on my high school transcript, my undergraduate school accepted it as credit, so it was never officially "transferred" between colleges I don't believe. Since you found the name of the school, I would call either admissions or the registrar's office and they should be able to direct you on how to request transcripts and any other records you might need. Schools are typically required to keep records like that, if not forever, for at least seven years.

Thank you so much! I ended up getting in contact with the registrar's office and they helped me order 2 transcripts via Parchment - one for myself to enter the courses and one to actually send to VMCAS. My only concern is that I got B's in those two courses and my cumulative GPA at the university that I actually attended and will have a degree from is a 3.79, so I am worried that will bring it down and affect my application.
I don't think they look so much at individual classes, especially ones that old and irrelevant. It certainly won't be calculated in your degree GPA as long as the courses weren't credited at your undergrad school. If you're really concerned, reach out to the admissions offices at the schools you're applying to. I only spoke with people from Tufts, Iowa, and Illinois, but they were all happy to answer those kinds of questions.

I found the name of the community college that I took the dual credit course through. I was planning to call their dual credit coordinator tomorrow morning to see if they have my transcript from the dual credit course that I took during high school and see how I can get it sent over to VMCAS. I never thought that one dual credit course that I took in high school (and didn’t even use the credits in college) would cause me so many issues 4+ years later. I am terrified that I won’t be able to figure it out and this will make me unable to apply this cycle. I have done so much hard work.
I would definitely recommend contacting VMCAS directly if you’re worried! Transcripts were also the bane of my existence and calling VMCAS was also super helpful. They totally saved me from making a huge mistake with ordering transcripts and kicked it back to me to fix before submitting. plus i didn’t have to worry about second-guessing if the info they gave was correct or not. 10/10 would recommend

I assume I don't need to order any type of transcript for the AP courses that I took in high school since those are reported on my official transcript from the undergraduate college that I currently attend?
You are correct because they were not taken through a college/university.

Hello everyone! I had a quick question about requesting a letter of rec on VMCAS. Do we have to include Dr. or DVM in the First or Last name text box when requesting a letter from a vet, or just simply enter their first and last name? Sorry if this is a simple question, just wanted to clarify. Thank you!

does anyone know which vet schools are strict with their recommendation letters? Idk if it matters that 3 of them have to be from different categories such as a professor, vet, person not related to you, etc. I am thinking that as long as you get your letter from a vet that should be good, but maybe I am overthinking? thanks!

does anyone know which vet schools are strict with their recommendation letters? Idk if it matters that 3 of them have to be from different categories such as a professor, vet, person not related to you, etc. I am thinking that as long as you get your letter from a vet that should be good, but maybe I am overthinking? thanks!
I would be sure to check the programs you’re applying to, but from what I remember of my own searching, the large majority of schools only specifically required one letter from a vet. I think I came across one school that required a professor letter, but I can’t remember which one. Plenty of people apply with 3 vet letters (even sometimes all from the same clinic) and do just fine, so as long as your specific schools don’t have extra requirements, you should be fine with a vet letter and whatever else you want!

Hello everyone! I had a quick question about requesting a letter of rec on VMCAS. Do we have to include Dr. or DVM in the First or Last name text box when requesting a letter from a vet, or just simply enter their first and last name? Sorry if this is a simple question, just wanted to clarify. Thank you!
I don’t think it really matters. IIRC they have to fill out something when they attach their letter and I believe it asks their title/qualification.

I know Tufts requires a faculty member and an advisor (or second faculty member). Not sure which other schools are strict but I would research each school’s page to see what they require.

I don’t think it really matters. IIRC they have to fill out something when they attach their letter and I believe it asks their title/qualification.
Thank you! I just wasn’t sure if we were supposed to mark down that they were a vet or not, but your response helps! :)

I would be sure to check the programs you’re applying to, but from what I remember of my own searching, the large majority of schools only specifically required one letter from a vet. I think I came across one school that required a professor letter, but I can’t remember which one. Plenty of people apply with 3 vet letters (even sometimes all from the same clinic) and do just fine, so as long as your specific schools don’t have extra requirements, you should be fine with a vet letter and whatever else you want!
If I remember correctly, I think Illinois requires a professor

Can you include research experience that was part of a biology lab course as research under the Activities section? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Quick question about transcripts for VMCAS. I took two dual credit courses through a local community college while I was in high school. The community college was one of several campus locations of the same university. I ordered the transcript for the courses on Friday and they were sent to VMCAS and my personal email. In order to send the transcript through Parchment, I had to look up the "main" university location (which is different from the other campus location where the courses were taken through). My question is: when I enter the college under "colleges attended" should I put the main campus location that I had to contact in order to send the transcript (the main university location) or should I list the local campus location where the courses were technically "taken?" If I enter the wrong one, will this cause any issues with VMCAS trying to post the transcript to my application? I just want to make sure that the transcript is properly matched with that college under the "colleges attended" tab and I don't have any issues due to the two different campuses. The transcript was sent out on Friday and it still has not been posted to my application, so I'm not sure if that is cause for concern. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)
My situation may have been slightly different but may be helpful. I took a couple classes through a community college that had 3 colleges each with their own name under a collective “district”. I had taken classes at 2 of the colleges. In VMCAS I listed them as “ABC college” and “XYZ college” but they were both on a single transcript under the community college district. I submitted my app a full month before the due date figuring I would have time to fix it if VMCAS kicked it back. It ended up being totally fine :)

I am sure this question has already been asked but nothing is coming up in my search. How do you recommend being "realistic" with the number of hours taking care of personal pets? I have had animals my entire life, most of which I took primary responsibility for, but I have no idea how to go about estimating the number of hours for animal experience. I don't want to make it sound like I'm exaggerating but 22 years is a long time lol

I am sure this question has already been asked but nothing is coming up in my search. How do you recommend being "realistic" with the number of hours taking care of personal pets? I have had animals my entire life, most of which I took primary responsibility for, but I have no idea how to go about estimating the number of hours for animal experience. I don't want to make it sound like I'm exaggerating but 22 years is a long time lol
I only calculated hours for pets that I’ve owned in my adult life (ie solely responsible for outside of my family’s house). I don’t remember an exact number but I think I went with something like 30 minutes per day, though I knew it was much more. Honestly I included it on my application because I was told to include everything but I’m not convinced schools really consider it unless it’s something like 4H (which you probably wouldn’t label as personal pet ownership anyway :shrug:)

I am applying this cycle and just feel overwhelmed with the tasks at hand.

I am a CVT so I have a buttload of CE credits and certifications (free fear, human-animal bond, CPR animal certified). I want my application to be 'classy' so should bunch of my random small CE credits and then individualize the certs ?

For the CE credits and certifications I was going to put this under experience -> animal experience (no vet) since i didn't really work 'hands on' with a veterinarian.

What types of things should you include in the description for shadowing experiences? Usually when you shadow, you don't actually do much, other than observe and ask questions.

I am applying this cycle and just feel overwhelmed with the tasks at hand.

I am a CVT so I have a buttload of CE credits and certifications (free fear, human-animal bond, CPR animal certified). I want my application to be 'classy' so should bunch of my random small CE credits and then individualize the certs ?

For the CE credits and certifications I was going to put this under experience -> animal experience (no vet) since i didn't really work 'hands on' with a veterinarian.
I'm not a CVT but that sounds like what I would do in that situation!

What types of things should you include in the description for shadowing experiences? Usually when you shadow, you don't actually do much, other than observe and ask questions.
I think I just put something along the lines of "observed appointments and various procedures," I don't feel like that's something you need to be super detailed for!

Okay so question, I work at a vet clinic as a vet assistant, kennel assistant, and receptionist. I’m planning on putting my vet assistant role under vet hours and kennel assistant role under animal hours obviously. For receptionist, should I put it as vet hours, animal hours, or just other employment? I wasn’t sure what to do since I’m not technically working directly with the vet or animals, but it’s not like it’s not vet or animal related.

Okay so question, I work at a vet clinic as a vet assistant, kennel assistant, and receptionist. I’m planning on putting my vet assistant role under vet hours and kennel assistant role under animal hours obviously. For receptionist, should I put it as vet hours, animal hours, or just other employment? I wasn’t sure what to do since I’m not technically working directly with the vet or animals, but it’s not like it’s not vet or animal related.
When I was applying, I was working at a clinic where I was hired as a vet assistant but was listed on the schedule to work as kennel assistant or receptionist some days when needed. On VMCAS I listed them all together as I was hired as a vet assistant and was working with vets most of the time. To me it didn’t seem necessary to split up my hours.

At another hospital I was working at also, I was a vet assistant but was part of my job description to be the one answering the phones, caring for the in-patients and assisting the techs and vets with exams, etc.

If you're a kennel assistant at a vet clinic I'd absolutely put it as vet experience. You're getting familiar with the clinic set up, basics of terminology, flow, etc.

All of this is vet experience to me and I listed it as such with 0 issues. All those roles are necessary to make the hospital function and at some point, the buck likely stops with a veterinarian.

Okay I’ll list it all as vet experience! Thank you all for your help!