VMCAS Questions and Rants c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skunkmama92

Reaction score
I received my last rejection yesterday so I opened the VMCAS to start the process over again. The past 2 years that I've applied I've opted out of posting any achievements because I really just don't have any. I asked my parents if they recalled any I received, and well... not really. I never got any scholarships or awards. But are these things that should/could be considered achievements? And otherwise, what types of things did you all include?

I was on the Dean's List for one semester in undergrad which was already 10 years ago.
I was VP of the UNH LGBTQ+ Alliance in 2013/2014
I was Historian of the UNH KKPsi IPhi Chapter from 2012-2014.
My Masters Thesis was published in Behavioral Processes in 2020.
I passed the Massachusetts State Wildlife Rehabilitators Examination in 2016.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Realistically, I think these are all things that you could include in your application! I definitely added Dean's List under achievements on mine. If I remember correctly (I'm a second year so it's been a little while) I think I had things like clubs/leadership listed under experiences. I was a co-author on an abstract publication for a research project we presented at a national conference, and mentioned the publication in the description as research experience. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I received my last rejection yesterday so I opened the VMCAS to start the process over again. The past 2 years that I've applied I've opted out of posting any achievements because I really just don't have any. I asked my parents if they recalled any I received, and well... not really. I never got any scholarships or awards. But are these things that should/could be considered achievements? And otherwise, what types of things did you all include?

I was on the Dean's List for one semester in undergrad which was already 10 years ago.
I was VP of the UNH LGBTQ+ Alliance in 2013/2014
I was Historian of the UNH KKPsi IPhi Chapter from 2012-2014.
My Masters Thesis was published in Behavioral Processes in 2020.
I passed the Massachusetts State Wildlife Rehabilitators Examination in 2016.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I did put my wildlife rehab licenses - can't remember what section but I will check and get back to you! I did put dean's list too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can’t believe that it’s time for the c/o 2026 cycle already! I feel so old.

Anyway, here’s my usual list of additional resources that you might find helpful as you begin the process. Note that a few might not be fully updated for the new year quite yet, but I’ll edit the URLs as they are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MZ0EjyIzs_prCeRxg5iFfHBOhphg_wWsDy2y60eM7eM/edit?usp=sharing - Factors When Picking a Vet School Google Doc

Online VMSAR Directory

"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists - Multiple lists of schools according to whether or not they require the GRE, how they weigh different GPAs, etc.

Public data - AAVMC Public Data

AAVMC | Admitted Student Statistics - A one-stop tool for finding the average stats of AVMA-accredited vet schools

VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map - Recently updated and now includes COAs for the accredited international schools

Student Debt Center - VIN - Loan repayment simulator; allows you to play with different repayment plans, salary levels, family sizes, etc.

https://www.aavmc.org/assets/site_18/files/vmcas/prereqchart.pdf - AAVMC's summary of prerequisites for all schools

https://www.aavmc.org/assets/site_18/files/vmcas/geninfo.pdf - AAVMC's general school information chart

AAVMC | COVID-19 Student and Applicant Information - Changes in application policies and procedures made by individual schools in response to the COVID-19 pandemic

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Obligatory unsolicited advice post

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.

2. You don't have to turn in your app right meow. There is no advantage to turning your application in early for the vast majority of schools. So turn it in when its ready.

3. Updates are school dependent. So ask them.

4. Personal pets are worth limited hours (school dependent). Be realistic about how many hours you assign for pet ownership.

5. Prerequisites are prerequisites. If a school doesn't require it, don't feel you have to take it. If a school does require, 99% of people will need to take it at 99% of schools. The majority of schools will not forgive/replace a prerequisite for the majority of applicants. The only way you'll know is if you email schools about your specific situation.

6. GPA cut offs are a thing. If you submit below a published GPA cut off, you just made a donation to the school.

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.

8. You need to submit a transcript from every higher education institution you attended. Community college while also in high school? Add to VMCAS and submit. Junior college 3 years ago before a gap year? Submit. 7 colleges cause you had to move a bunch? Submit.

Thats what I got right now. Distracted by Grey's and my mom showing me stuff on insta.

Reactions: 13 users
Obligatory unsolicited advice post

1. Consider yourself rejected until you receive an acceptance. As such, do not stop working on your application after you hit submit. Continue to gain hours, improve or maintain those grades, and do everything you would do before turning it in.

2. You don't have to turn in your app right meow. There is no advantage to turning your application in early for the vast majority of schools. So turn it in when its ready.

3. Updates are school dependent. So ask them.

4. Personal pets are worth limited hours (school dependent). Be realistic about how many hours you assign for pet ownership.

5. Prerequisites are prerequisites. If a school doesn't require it, don't feel you have to take it. If a school does require, 99% of people will need to take it at 99% of schools. The majority of schools will not forgive/replace a prerequisite for the majority of applicants. The only way you'll know is if you email schools about your specific situation.

6. GPA cut offs are a thing. If you submit below a published GPA cut off, you just made a donation to the school.

7. There will be radio silence for extended periods of time. Mentally prepare yourself to not hear from anyone for months at a time.

8. You need to submit a transcript from every higher education institution you attended. Community college while also in high school? Add to VMCAS and submit. Junior college 3 years ago before a gap year? Submit. 7 colleges cause you had to move a bunch? Submit.

Thats what I got right now. Distracted by Grey's and my mom showing me stuff on insta.
I'm gonna add to this a little bit:

If you have any questions about something a school is looking for whether it's classes/experiences/etc. don't hesitate to contact academic affairs, it's what they're there for!

Put some thought into who you ask for recommendation letters, consider how well the person knows you and in what aspect the person knows you (professor, advisor, manager, etc.), you want to try to have a variety of viewpoints as to who you are and why you would be a good fit. If you can get all of them from vets, cool, but the admissions team might be reading the same thing over and over.

Include any and every experience, no matter how small. It's good to show that you have done different things especially if they aren't all vet med related because they show that you are well rounded :cat:

@skunkmama92
so I looked at my app and I classified my wildlife rehab licenses each as a "Volunteer Extracurricular Activity".
I put the licensing body as the 'employer', and put my license number and clarification in the description. I figured if VMCAS called the DEC, I could easily talk to the special licenses unit and explain my situation, and I believe I ran this past my supervisor first.

I noted this (paraphrasing)
'The hours I've listed here indicate license acquisition and maintenance". I then noted that I separated out and listed all of the work under that license as veterinary experience, with the addition 'I am directly supervised by a wildlife veterinarian' or something along those lines to doubly clarify the scope of my work. And lastly for fear of misunderstanding, I put that maintenance and acquisition of the license were voluntarily performed, hence the classification. Looking back it sounds like a legal document. 😅 but I wanted to ensure that the vet schools knew I'd worked to acquire those licenses.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying this cycle and I have a few questions about VMCAS:

1) What grade do we list for AP credits on our transcripts? My school doesn't give grades for APs only credits.
2) Can we put courses we plan to take but aren't on our transcript for the transcript entry into VMCAS?
3) Does anyone know if the school(s) have decided whether or not they will accept online coursework for Spring 2021?

1) What grade do we list for AP credits on our transcripts? My school doesn't give grades for APs only credits.
2) Can we put courses we plan to take but aren't on our transcript for the transcript entry into VMCAS?
3) Does anyone know if the school(s) have decided whether or not they will accept online coursework for Spring 2021?
For your first question, you’ll put “CR” for the grade received and later on you’ll be able to mark which courses were AP!

You can absolutely put planned courses into VMCAS, when you're entering the info for a course there should be an option that says "planned" or something similar for the timing of the course. Schools understand that plans can always change so it's no big deal if your final transcripts don't exactly match planned courses (unless it's a prereq of course)

As far as whether or not online coursework would be accepted, my best suggestion is to contact the school(s) you're interested in because they might not all be doing the same thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely contact the schools you’re applying to themselves, but I can’t imagine they would be able to say no, with the state of the world still.

Hello! I'm applying for the first time this cycle and have a couple questions.

1. If I list my experiences in chronological order in each category, will they appear that way when schools view them? I understand that schools can choose to order them chronologically, but would still like to list them as competently as possible.
2. For the self reported GPA section, do you enter what the GPA on your transcript from your primary institution is or use the VMCAS GPA calculator to calculate your VMCAS GPA? My GPA on my transcript will be higher than my VMCAS GPA.
3. Does anyone have any tips for copying/pasting your essay into the textbox? I have heard that the formatting will not transfer when pasting it.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I'm applying for the first time this cycle and have a couple questions.

1. If I list my experiences in chronological order in each category, will they appear that way when schools view them? I understand that schools can choose to order them chronologically, but would still like to list them as competently as possible.
2. For the self reported GPA section, do you enter what the GPA on your transcript from your primary institution is or use the VMCAS GPA calculator to calculate your VMCAS GPA? My GPA on my transcript will be higher than my VMCAS GPA.
3. Does anyone have any tips for copying/pasting your essay into the textbox? I have heard that the formatting will not transfer when pasting it.

Thanks in advance!
1. VMCAS will automatically put the experiences in chronological order (by start date), so you don't need to enter them in order!
2. GPA from transcript
3. I just copied and pasted like normal from a google doc, but things like indents don't transfer over. I added an extra line break if I wanted to break up paragraphs.

Hi! Has anyone listed a remote Loop Abroad internship as a vet shadowing experience? If multiple places were visited, should the address just be Loop Abroad's address? Is it necessary to put the phone number of the supervisor?

Also, can you put classes you plan to take in future semesters in the transcript section and what happens if you aren't able to take them?

Also, can you put classes you plan to take in future semesters in the transcript section and what happens if you aren't able to take them?
As long as they aren't prerequisite classes it's no big deal at all, schools realize that planned classes aren't necessarily set in stone. One of the times I applied I think I had 1 or 2 planned classes that I didn't end up taking and it was fine.

Can’t believe it’s time to do this all over again! Hoping for better luck this time :)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
If I'm listing a virtual internship as an experience, should I leave out the address or put the address of the company? Is an email enough or is it necessary to put the phone number of the supervisor?

Hi all, I am looking for different experiences to improve my applications. I was wondering if being a laboratory assistant at vet diagnostic labs like IDEXX or Antech would count as veterinary hours, or just extracurricular experience. Either way, I know this is a good experience to have, but I was wondering what the category was. Thanks so much in advance!

It comes down to your supervisor. I work in my vet school's diagnostic lab in two areas, parasitology and the business office. My time in the parasitology lab would be considered veterinary experience cause my direct supervisor is a veterinary parasitologist. However, my time in the business office would be regular employment cause my direct supervisors are the business office employees and are not veterinarians. If I was in the microbiology lab, the experience would still be regular employment experience because the microbiology supervisors are head lab techs or the PhD microbiologist.

It comes down to your supervisor. I work in my vet school's diagnostic lab in two areas, parasitology and the business office. My time in the parasitology lab would be considered veterinary experience cause my direct supervisor is a veterinary parasitologist. However, my time in the business office would be regular employment cause my direct supervisors are the business office employees and are not veterinarians. If I was in the microbiology lab, the experience would still be regular employment experience because the microbiology supervisors are head lab techs or the PhD microbiologist.
Thanks!

The video on transcript entry on VMCAS says to use your official transcript when entering coursework, not your unofficial transcript. Do I have to have my official transcript sent to me so I can use it as reference, and sent to VMCAS separately?

Last edited:
The video on transcript entry on VMCAS says to use your official transcript when entering coursework, not your unofficial transcript. Do I have to have my official transcript sent to me so I can use it as reference, and sent to VMCAS separately?
I ordered two transcripts through my university and sent one directly to VMCAS and the other to myself.

I was thinking about how to ask this same question on SDN! I recently got employed at a vet diagnostic lab doing COVID 19 testing/processing. My supervisor has a DVM/MS.....would this still be veterinary experience even if I am not testing samples from non-human animals??? I thought it would be research experience...??

Does the school you go to affect your ability to specialize in the future? I'm considering going to a Caribbean school and from everything I have read it seems that the quality of education/ability to acquire a job post grad is the same as the schools in the states but what about specialization? If there's a better place for me to post this lmk! Thanks :)

Does the school you go to affect your ability to specialize in the future? I'm considering going to a Caribbean school and from everything I have read it seems that the quality of education/ability to acquire a job post grad is the same as the schools in the states but what about specialization? If there's a better place for me to post this lmk! Thanks :)
I specifically asked multiple of my docs about this (about half went to Caribbean schools, half to US ones), and they all said the same: there are possibly a smaller number of people coming out of Caribbean schools who have any interest in specializing, but everyone who wanted to specialize (and achieved the grades to do that) was able to get into residencies without issue. The stigma of the Caribbean (accredited) schools is absolutely declining, and so long as you are a strong student wherever you are, you should be able to get your specialty internship/residency placement!

The clinician that established our cardiology service and the clinician now head of our exotics services are both Ross grads. The head vet at a zoo ive externed at was also a Caribbean grad. Stigma seems to have reduced according to all of them.

These questions may be better served in the VMCAS thread. But I'll give my 2 cents.

My supervisor has a DVM/MS.....would this still be veterinary experience even if I am not testing samples from non-human animals??? I thought it would be research experience...??
I've always considered "research" experience to be experience actively researching. Not performing lab technician duties running samples. That would be employment experience to me, like a technician at Idexx running blood work in a clin path lab. The DVM running the lab is what throws the wrench in there for me. Might want to email the schools you're applying to.

Does anyone else feel totally stumped about how to write their personal statement? It's such a broad, general topic that I have no idea how to begin.

Does anyone else feel totally stumped about how to write their personal statement? It's such a broad, general topic that I have no idea how to begin.
What unique stories do you want to the admissions committee to know about you? Start with those, then write the stuff that connects them together. It's early enough that you should have plenty of time for revision. Have lots of people read it for you.

My biggest piece of advice on this is to tell them your story, but don't narrate the rest of your application. They can see the classes you've taken and the experiences you've had. What they don't see from the rest of your application is why you want to do this. Talk about your journey with vet med whether you've wanted to do this since you were born or if it's a new path. Tell them about your aspirations, tell them the stories that make you YOU. Just don't get too caught up in telling a story that you start to stray away from it being about you. I HATE talking about myself and had a hard time writing my PS, so the sooner you can accept the fact that you have to talk about yourself, the better. I hope this helps :cat:

How much detail do people go into for the experiences "description" section? I find I'm only using about half of the provided space, and want to make sure I'm writing enough.

@BlackCatsRuleTheWorld if you think you're putting enough detail to describe what it is you're doing, it's good. I'm not sure how many characters VMCAS has now, but when I was applying, it wasn't many. A few sentences is plenty.

Any thoughts on including struggles with mental health in the personal statement if it was the turning point that led me to a veterinary career? I don't want to be viewed with a negative stigma but it was the most formative point in my life story.

Any thoughts on including struggles with mental health in the personal statement if it was the turning point that led me to a veterinary career? I don't want to be viewed with a negative stigma but it was the most formative point in my life story.
You're going to get a wide variety of opinions on this, so weigh each one with what your specific situation is in mind.

The stigma of mental health in vet med is decreasing pretty steadily. The suicide rate within vet med (among the rest of the mental health issues) is ridiculous and brought mental health to the front burner so to speak. Every single interview I've had for jobs has included a discussion on realistic work-life balance with that specific position in that specific company. Whether or not they're just using buzz words to sell a position, it's definitely a discussion being had with at least some graduating students for this year. Schools are beginning to take it more seriously, though YMMV depending on the school. My class is pretty open about the discussion amongst ourselves with various clubs holding mental health events and there is an anonymous depression and anxiety club present on our campus (though limited this year due to COVID). I've discussed the depression I experienced during my second year openly with classmates and faculty members on multiple occasions without feeling as if they've judged me for that time in my life.

With that being said, there are those who don't buy into the mental health hype (so to speak). There is definitely one prof that comes to mind that made specific statements during a class round table discussion that resulted in multiple people in my class sending an email to academic student affairs (he no longer teaches as of this year though from what I've heard from lower classmen). With that being said, he probably isn't the only person who feels that way. When you have a faculty/staff number of 200+, there's a chance for judgement.

I think that with the growing acceptance that there are serious mental health implications in vet med, that if you present the situation well, it likely won't disadvantage you. If you do plan on presenting this information, have a plethora of people take a look at the content of your essay and help you refine it. Then, be prepared to talk about it during interviews with schools that have open-file interviews. Anything you put in your application is fair game in those situations. So if you won't be comfortable speaking face-to-face with an interview team about your situation, then don't write about it.

You're going to get a wide variety of opinions on this, so weigh each one with what your specific situation is in mind.

The stigma of mental health in vet med is decreasing pretty steadily. The suicide rate within vet med (among the rest of the mental health issues) is ridiculous and brought mental health to the front burner so to speak. Every single interview I've had for jobs has included a discussion on realistic work-life balance with that specific position in that specific company. Whether or not they're just using buzz words to sell a position, it's definitely a discussion being had with at least some graduating students for this year. Schools are beginning to take it more seriously, though YMMV depending on the school. My class is pretty open about the discussion amongst ourselves with various clubs holding mental health events and there is an anonymous depression and anxiety club present on our campus (though limited this year due to COVID). I've discussed the depression I experienced during my second year openly with classmates and faculty members on multiple occasions without feeling as if they've judged me for that time in my life.

With that being said, there are those who don't buy into the mental health hype (so to speak). There is definitely one prof that comes to mind that made specific statements during a class round table discussion that resulted in multiple people in my class sending an email to academic student affairs (he no longer teaches as of this year though from what I've heard from lower classmen). With that being said, he probably isn't the only person who feels that way. When you have a faculty/staff number of 200+, there's a chance for judgement.

I think that with the growing acceptance that there are serious mental health implications in vet med, that if you present the situation well, it likely won't disadvantage you. If you do plan on presenting this information, have a plethora of people take a look at the content of your essay and help you refine it. Then, be prepared to talk about it during interviews with schools that have open-file interviews. Anything you put in your application is fair game in those situations. So if you won't be comfortable speaking face-to-face with an interview team about your situation, then don't write about it.
Thank you so much for your help! Those are really great points.

I'm starting my VMCAS for this cycle and I'm working on the experiences portion. I was wondering if this job I had through college would count as "research", or is it simply just employment experience?

I worked at a combined state/university laboratory that tested for pesticides in pet foods, soils, surface and groundwaters, foliage, etc. for 4 years. Some of the exciting projects I got to work on were testing for pesticides in a local honeybee population that was dying and helping a grad student with researching glyphosate levels in popular cereal brands.

Most of what I did was routine lab assistant stuff, like weighing samples, cleaning lab equipment, etc. but I got to do some processes from start to finish, such as testing aflatoxins in pet food and livestock feed.

I'm starting my VMCAS for this cycle and I'm working on the experiences portion. I was wondering if this job I had through college would count as "research", or is it simply just employment experience?

I worked at a combined state/university laboratory that tested for pesticides in pet foods, soils, surface and groundwaters, foliage, etc. for 4 years. Some of the exciting projects I got to work on were testing for pesticides in a local honeybee population that was dying and helping a grad student with researching glyphosate levels in popular cereal brands.

Most of what I did was routine lab assistant stuff, like weighing samples, cleaning lab equipment, etc. but I got to do some processes from start to finish, such as testing aflatoxins in pet food and livestock feed.
Since it was in a research setting, I would count it as research experience. From the VMCAS instructions:
"Research experience includes any animal and veterinary research, as well as other field and/or laboratory-based research. Include specific details about your work/involvement, including whether the research experience provided an opportunity to present or publish."

Hi there! I am looking for input on where to put CE hours in my application and how to classify them (research/veterinary/extracurricular?). I have included a few example scenarios below, I would prefer to include all of these as veterinary experiences but that may not be appropriate. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1) small animal parasitology CE hours: hosted by a veterinary school (university accredited veterinary CE), presented by a Ph.D. who teaches in the vet school, and discussed life cycle/clinical presentation/diagnostics/treatment.

2) exotic CE hours: hosted by a veterinary school (university accredited veterinary CE), presented by a DVM, and discussed wellness/disease/diagnostics/treatment.

3) equine therio. CE: RACE approved, presented by a DVM, discussed case problems and management

4) equine vet/farrier/research conference CE: State board approved CE, hosted/presented by vets, Ph.D.'s, and farriers.

I have other CE hours that are similar in nature, bringing my total CE hours to ~35. I will certainly ask schools about their preference for listing these - just hoping someone else may have experience with it.

I'd probably list them if extracurricular if it were me, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong to list them as veterinary. I see you say you would prefer to include them as a veterinary, and in regards to that I just want to say I don't think it makes any practical difference. Regardless of how you classify they are going to see what the experience was. They're unlikely to view it a different light just because of what label you put on it.

Ultimately as long as the classification is fair (ie you're not throwing something under a category that it clearly is not), I don't think you need to think so hard about what box to put it in.

Also, personally I would probably lump these experiences as much as possible as opposed to put each individual CE as it's own experience.

Hi! I am currently planning on taking two gap years to get my master's degree. However, I have been working my butt off and may possibly be finishing with or with close to a 4.0 for my last 45 credits of undergrad GPA. Will this be acknowledged separately from my master's GPA from an admissions perspective, or will the master's GPA independently serve as my last 45 credits GPA?

Hi! I am currently planning on taking two gap years to get my master's degree. However, I have been working my butt off and may possibly be finishing with or with close to a 4.0 for my last 45 credits of undergrad GPA. Will this be acknowledged separately from my master's GPA from an admissions perspective, or will the master's GPA independently serve as my last 45 credits GPA?

It depends on the school I believe. I know that for University of Missouri, a masters doesn’t count toward your last 45.

I'd probably list them if extracurricular if it were me, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong to list them as veterinary. I see you say you would prefer to include them as a veterinary, and in regards to that I just want to say I don't think it makes any practical difference. Regardless of how you classify they are going to see what the experience was. They're unlikely to view it a different light just because of what label you put on it.

Ultimately as long as the classification is fair (ie you're not throwing something under a category that it clearly is not), I don't think you need to think so hard about what box to put it in.

Also, personally I would probably lump these experiences as much as possible as opposed to put each individual CE as it's own experience.
Thank you for the feedback!