VMCVM 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm skeptical of the 500 interview thing, last year they did 256 (class size 128) so I can't imagine them doubling the number of interviews?
Based on last cycles SDN I thought it was 500 total and with 256 being IS? That doesn't mean they'll do the same thing this cycle of course. If it's 256 total that's a crazy small interview pool though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on last cycles SDN I thought it was 500 total and with 256 being IS? That doesn't mean they'll do the same thing this cycle of course. If it's 256 total that's a crazy small interview pool though
Honestly 256 feels small, but 500 feels like a lot as well, I’d be interested to know how many invites they extend this cycle but I’m not sure if they’ll share that
 
Based on last cycles SDN I thought it was 500 total and with 256 being IS? That doesn't mean they'll do the same thing this cycle of course. If it's 256 total that's a crazy small interview pool though
I wasn't using SDN last cycle so I'm not 100% sure but last year I was selected for an interview and my email said "you were one of 256 selected out of over 2,200 applicants" so I assumed they meant the entire pool? But they could've just meant IS
 
I wasn't using SDN last cycle so I'm not 100% sure but last year I was selected for an interview and my email said "you were one of 256 selected out of over 2,200 applicants" so I assumed they meant the entire pool? But they could've just meant IS
Ohh okay yeah I was forum stalking and people said that the IS emails said 256 and OOS emails said 500 which is I think where the confusion comes from. But 256 IS does seem like a lot considering they're all supposed to be 1/17-18. Hopefully we'll know more soon!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder what’s taking longer this year. Have they changed the amount of out of state seats?
Some of the colleges that have reported their numbers thus far saw a large increase in applications. NCSU had over a 30% increase in applicants and UofF had 3000+ individuals. Might just be taking schools slightly longer to sort and judge than usual.
 
Last edited:
Some of the colleges that have reported their numbers thus far saw a large increase in applications. NCSU had over a 30% increase in applicants and UofF had 3000+. Might just be taking schools slightly longer to sort and judge than usual.
This is super surprising to me given that I have multiple colleagues who have had to change their career paths away from vet school due to the BBB.
 
I'm very confused. The previous email made it sound like in-state applicants that had taken the SJT would either be given an interview or waitlisted for one, but it appears I got a rejection, no waitlist or anything. I know you're always supposed to be expecting a rejection just in case but why would they have had me take the SJT just to deny me?
Either way, best of luck to all the IS applicants continuing on and the OOS applicants still waiting to hear back.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y’all! I’m a VMCVM 2029 student who got accepted last year, I am free to answer any questions if y’all have them!
I do have a few quick questions if you don't mind! Approximately how long do you have with each round of interview, and how many interviewers per round? Does the MMI follow the same format VT posted a while back for their human med program, where you have 2 minutes to think about a question and then 8 minutes to explain to the panel/interviewer? Additionally, during your brief thinking time, do you have the opportunity to write notes? And broadly speaking, were the questions mostly scenario based, or do they also ask for elucidation of personal details/philosophy? Thanks!
 
I do have a few quick questions if you don't mind! Approximately how long do you have with each round of interview, and how many interviewers per round? Does the MMI follow the same format VT posted a while back for their human med program, where you have 2 minutes to think about a question and then 8 minutes to explain to the panel/interviewer? Additionally, during your brief thinking time, do you have the opportunity to write notes? And broadly speaking, were the questions mostly scenario based, or do they also ask for elucidation of personal details/philosophy? Thanks!
Hi there! I was an OOS student so I had the virtual MMI. I’m my case, I had a minute to read the question and think of a response, the around 4-5 to answer the question. I got in on my second application cycle so I got a chance to reflect on how to interview better. What I did was I had a notebook and before the interview, on a page for each scenario, wrote down (and left space to) restate the question in my own words, share relevant life experience, and loop back and answer the question. I also wrote all of the traits they were looking for at the top of each page and circled the relevant ones for each scenario so I knew what to focus on. They will never have you answer a question that you need veterinary experience to answer (diagnosis, etc.). They want to know if you can make a decision and defend it. Don’t be wishy washy, but address both sides of the argument. Hope this was helpful, good luck! 🙂
 
Hi there! I was an OOS student so I had the virtual MMI. I’m my case, I had a minute to read the question and think of a response, the around 4-5 to answer the question. I got in on my second application cycle so I got a chance to reflect on how to interview better. What I did was I had a notebook and before the interview, on a page for each scenario, wrote down (and left space to) restate the question in my own words, share relevant life experience, and loop back and answer the question. I also wrote all of the traits they were looking for at the top of each page and circled the relevant ones for each scenario so I knew what to focus on. They will never have you answer a question that you need veterinary experience to answer (diagnosis, etc.). They want to know if you can make a decision and defend it. Don’t be wishy washy, but address both sides of the argument. Hope this was helpful, good luck! 🙂
Thats very helpful, thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS VA interview! I’ve heard a lot of how VM MMI is significantly “harder” than other MMI formats… does anyone know what that means? first time applicant here… super super nervous!!
I was in the first IS cohort to do the in-person MMIs after they changed the structure post-COVID. Happy to answer any logistic questions! (but not anything about specific questions asked).
It was very different from schools who use recorded video MMI interviews as it was actually in person through rotating stations. I don't think it was "harder" than any other interview or MMI in terms of the actual interview topics, but it was long (about 1.5 hours I think) and relatively fast-paced.

The experience overall was really fun! (although wildly nerve-wracking; especially as someone with interview nerves to begin with 💀). The assessors were friendly and I met a lot of people that I would have loved to have as classmates. Despite the relative difficulty I heard pretty unanimously from re-applying students that the in-person structure was preferred over the video structure from years prior, as you can really show yourself and your strengths.
 
Last edited:
I was in the first IS cohort to do in in-person MMIs after they changed the structure post-COVID. Happy to answer any logistic questions! (but not anything about specific questions asked).
It was very different from schools who use recorded video MMI interviews as it was actually in person through rotating stations. I don't think it was "harder" than any other interview or MMI in terms of the actual interview topics, but it was long (about 1.5 hours I think) and relatively fast-paced.

The experience overall was really fun! (although wildly nerve-wracking; especially as someone with interview nerves to begin with 💀). The assessors were friendly and I met a lot of people that I would have loved to have as classmates. Despite the relative difficulty I heard pretty unanimously from re-applying students that the in-person structure was preferred over the video structure from years prior, as you can really show yourself and your strengths.
Ugh i wish OOS interviews were in person instead of asynchronous. I know it’s fair since we are just competing against other OOS people but still, i like talking to humans 🥲