Waitlist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyy all!

If I am lucky enough to get a call off of a waitlist, am I expected to know whether I'd go to the school on the spot, or will schools typically give me a day to think it over / check my ranking on other waitlists?

Members don't see this ad.

Heyy all!

If I am lucky enough to get a call off of a waitlist, am I expected to know whether I'd go to the school on the spot, or will schools typically give me a day to think it over / check my ranking on other waitlists?

Shortest time frame I have seen is 48 hours to respond, but that was for UTHSCSA during June.

Reactions: 1 user
Miraculous situation, I know—but say you are waitlisted at schools A and B, and you prefer A to B. You send school A a letter of intent. School B accepts you off the WL, and you take the offer. Then School A accepts you off the waitlist. Is it still possible to go to A? I.e. is accepting B's offer binding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Miraculous situation, I know—but say you are waitlisted at schools A and B, and you prefer A to B. You send school A a letter of intent. School B accepts you off the WL, and you take the offer. Then School A accepts you off the waitlist. Is it still possible to go to A? I.e. is accepting B's offer binding?
Ignore

It is not binding. You can take A.

Hi all, I have a similar question. What if you haven't heard from your top choice, school A, and you're waitlisted at school B. You know school B is very receptive to LOI. If you send a LOI and get off the waitlist at school B and then later get accepted to school A, is school B binding? Any advice appreciated!

Hi all, I have a similar question. What if you haven't heard from your top choice, school A, and you're waitlisted at school B. You know school B is very receptive to LOI. If you send a LOI and get off the waitlist at school B and then later get accepted to school A, is school B binding? Any advice appreciated!

i think in your case, school B would be binding because you wrote a letter of intent that said "if you accept me, i will attend" so its sorta like a contract

OR did you mean the following: you write School B a LOI (letter of intent) but school A accepts you first and then school B accepts you. Would going to school A over school B be okay?

^ That i'm not too sure. Can anyone clarify this?

i think in your case, school B would be binding because you wrote a letter of intent that said "if you accept me, i will attend" so its sorta like a contract

OR did you mean the following: you write School B a LOI (letter of intent) but school A accepts you first and then school B accepts you. Would going to school A over school B be okay?

^ That i'm not too sure. Can anyone clarify this?

It's not binding unless you sign a contract. And schools expect this, and it happens frequently. They may feel irked but that is simply how this game works

Also you have no idea whether your LOI had anything to do with the acceptance

yeah the waitlist is a sucky situation... on the one hand there's still a chance of acceptance.....on the other you might not get accepted (so close, but oh so far). A letter of intent is not binding. You can accept school B now and still hope for school A up until you start class at school B. for instance, it's june 23rd class starts at school B june 27th and you completed paperwork and everything. School A miraculously calls june 24th and says you're accepted from their waitlist and class starts june 26th. You can still go to school A regardless of the situation. School B will just call someone on June 25th from the waitlist and that lucky person will just take your spot. Medical schools have seen these scenarios plenty of times.....no worries just felt like beating a dead horse:beat:

Can medical schools find out your ranking in another school's waiting list?