This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO214

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just seeking some advice. I am a 3rd year DO student interested in anesthesia! Below is a little but more about me and my stats. I'm from Florida and will love to end up there for residency but I will settle with anything on the east coast. I will still be applying broadly.

Hispanic female
HPSP Army (would prefer civilian residency but wouldn't mind military residency.

Step 1: 233
Comlex 1: 579
Step 2/comlex 2: taking in may
didactic year grades: couple of honors but majority high pass.
Clinical: honored surgery, internal, and family med and have 3 LOR in surgery, psychiatry, and family med.
Top 25% of class.
I have 2 sub-i's coming up in July and August and I will hopefully get an Anesthesia LOR.
No research
Lots of extracurriculars: student government, tutor, school ambassador (gave school tour to pre-med students), mentor, and youth futures engagement, also lots of volunteering hours.

Hopefully this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are ARMY HPSP army then it WILL be military residency, different story for Air Force but as thats out of scope here for further discussion. They have little to no (almost 100% on no) civilian deferred slots. Do you like San Antonio or DC better?

You will be fine to match for anesthesia. Just keep doing what you’re supposed to do

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are only two Army anesthesiology residency programs - Walter Reed in DC and BAMC in San Antonio. My understanding is that in the Army you are given five applications and you apply to all the programs within your chosen specialty, and for any remaining slots, you apply to Army transitional year programs. Your scores seem to be within the range for successful anesthesiology applicants in 2021, but you should keep the possibility that you could end up in a transitional year in the back of your head.

If you are ARMY HPSP army then it WILL be military residency, different story for Air Force but as thats out of scope here for further discussion. They have little to no (almost 100% on no) civilian deferred slots. Do you like San Antonio or DC better?
I like DC better for the area but I don't know much about the programs. I have my audition rotations set up with both of those programs and I hope to learn and find out more! I wouldn't mind matching military, I just get nervous that I really only get to apply to those 2 programs for the military match! Any advice going forward?

There are only two Army anesthesiology residency programs - Walter Reed in DC and BAMC in San Antonio. My understanding is that in the Army you are given five applications and you apply to all the programs within your chosen specialty, and for any remaining slots, you apply to Army transitional year programs. Your scores seem to be within the range for successful anesthesiology applicants in 2021, but you should keep the possibility that you could end up in a transitional year in the back of your head.
I see! Thank you for letting me know because I wasn't sure entirely how the military match works. I am interested in Walter Reed and BAMC but I just get nervous that my options are a bit limited and I know there are other excellent military candidates. I have my 2 audition rotations coming up and it will be at those 2 programs. Any advice moving forward?

I see! Thank you for letting me know because I wasn't sure entirely how the military match works. I am interested in Walter Reed and BAMC but I just get nervous that my options are a bit limited and I know there are other excellent military candidates. I have my 2 audition rotations coming up and it will be at those 2 programs. Any advice moving forward?
I think just aim to do as well as possible on your auditions. The ideal situation is that you want both programs fighting over you so working hard to make a good impression. I'd also take a bit of time and research the TY programs you want to rank so that, if it came to that, you would be in the best position to be in a location that worked for you.