WAMC?? Bad MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dranne18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my MCAT score today and I'm not very happy with it. I got a 501 with 124 C/P, 123 CARS, 128 B/B, and 126 P/S.

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.69

I've shadowed a ton and been very involved on campus and with volunteering, and I worked in a research lab for a year. I am applying to some DO schools but would prefer an MD. I'm okay with going to a smaller, medium-ranked MD school, but I'm not sure if I even have a chance for that with my MCAT score. Is it absolutely necessary that I retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance for interviews at Toledo, Wright State and NEOMED. A score of 508 or higher would more than double your chances for a MD acceptance. Which DO schools are you applying to?

I would be fine with going to Wright State or NEOMED, I've looked into both and really liked them. The only DO school I would actually consider going to is OU, but again, an MD is preferred.

Any shadowing or clinical experience?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yes, I have a lot of shadowing experience for a lot of different specialties. I would say I have around 120 shadowing hours.

You don't need 120 hours of shadowing. What do you have in clinical experience(not the safe as shadowing) ?

You don't need 120 hours of shadowing. What do you have in clinical experience(not the safe as shadowing) ?

I'm not sure what you mean by safe shadowing, all the physicians I shadowed considered it to be clinical experience because I witnessed and learned about surgeries, consultations, patient/doctor interaction, among other things. I also volunteered at a hospice center and for the American Heart Association as an ambassador.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by safe shadowing, all the physicians I shadowed considered it to be clinical experience because I witnessed and learned about surgeries, consultations, patient/doctor interaction, among other things. I also volunteered at a hospice center and for the American Heart Association as an ambassador.
Shadowing is not considered active clinical experience. As long as you have 40 hours of primary care, you have enough and more does not improve the application.
Your best MD chances are listed in Faha's post above.

Shadowing is not considered active clinical experience. As long as you have 40 hours of primary care, you have enough and more does not improve the application.
Your best MD chances are listed in Faha's post above.
So I have a chance at those schools without retaking the MCAT?

Last edited:
So I have a chance at those schools without retaking the MCAT? And is it possible that schools could ask me to retake it?
Your only real MD chances are the IS schools he listed.
Schools do not ask you to re-take the MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry- that should have been "shadowing is not the same as clinical experience". Shadowing is passive experience- you just observe the doc. Clinical experience is active-you interact with the patient, talk with them, get the water etc. You don't just stand and watch the doc.

I would be fine with going to Wright State or NEOMED, I've looked into both and really liked them. The only DO school I would actually consider going to is OU, but again, an MD is preferred.
Unfortunately, getting in to one of the listed Ohio schools is not guaranteed. The one with the lowest median is NEOMed, which only takes 30 or so students from standard admissions pathway. OU is most likely your best shot.

If you want to give yourself the best odds to get in this cycle, I would recommend applying to more DO schools.