WAMC Great GPA, ECs, worried about MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winsty277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
cGPA: 3.95 (Got 2 Bs in concurrent history classes back in high school, have had 4.0 since freshman year college)
sGPA: 4.0
ECs: Vice President of my student government association (been involved in it for 3 years), mentor for freshman leadership group for 2 years, member of the same leadership group during freshman year, greek life (served in executive position in the past), colleges against cancer (and American Cancer Society collegiate chapter), member of school's student orientation staff (giving me ~500 volunteer hours), member of a group handpicked by our school's president to represent the school (called president's leadership fellows), member of Alpha Chi national honor society, Member and previous team leader for school's ambassador program

I'm doing a research program with my state children's hospital (the program is sponsored by UAMS, Arkansas's only public MD school) over the summer.

Experience: -40-50 hours shadowing Cardiac electrophysiologists
-Worked at regional hospital for 2.5 years, 1st year as Nurse's assistant in critical care unit, and since then have been working in Emergency room as a phlebotomy tech/ward clerk

Ethnicity and Sex: White Male
Residence: Arkansas

MCAT is being taken in 2 weeks. I'm worried that I won't do too hot on it. Took a Kaplan practice test and got a 500 (124 C/P, 125 CARS, 126 B/B, and 125 P/S). Also recently took a free example test from TPR with a similar result.. Before taking those tests I took the AAMC sample test twice (the second time being well after the first, so I really don't think I remembered much of the first time I took it) and did much better, percentage-wise (65 % in physics, 82% in CARS, 75% in B/B, 78% in P/S). I don't know if kaplan and TPR tests are somehow harder but it has discouraged me and now I'm trying to see what would happen if I made a score around a 502 or something low like that? I'm really wanting to do allopathic schools
Help, WAMC!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great GPA, if you're not ready I advise not taking and rescheduling MCAT. For any any allopathic MD you should aim for 508+ min (30 on old scale) as white male (ORM).

Your MCAT will pretty much dictate where you have a chance. Your ECs are not great; they are just average.