This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valex762

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to SDN. I have seen how great you guys can be, and I could really use your help. What do you think my chances are for MD? Should I apply to DO? I have already sent most of my MD secondaries, but have not sent a DO primary application. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for the help!

Reapplicant, CA resident, non-URM
3.9 sGPA/3.9 cGPA
31 MCAT (12 BS, 9 PS, 10 VR)
8000 hours clinical experience (medical scribe)
800 hours voluntary research (started in this year, projected hours)
1000 hours entrepreneurial work
200 hours volunteering botanical garden
180 hours clinical volunteering
50 hours shadowing
300 hours volunteer tutoring

Most secondaries sent in by end of July

MD List:
MCW
Tufts
Georgetown
Einstein
Geisel
Thomas Jefferson
St. Louis
NYMC
Oakland
Drexel
GW-hold
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Frank Netter
Western Michigan
Temple
Vermont
VTC
Arizona-Phoenix
Virginia Commonwealth
Albany
UC Irvine
Wake Forest
Penn State
Tulane-rejected
Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list. You should be fine as long as that is your only MCAT and you are not a re-applicant at most of them.

Yes, I have only taken the 1 MCAT. Unfortunately, I am a re-applicant to most of them. I applied once out of college (UCI), but didn't have very much money and applied above my stats. I applied again last year (after saving money and researching the process much more) to most of these schools, but was unsuccessful. Does this change your opinion significantly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have only taken the 1 MCAT. Unfortunately, I am a re-applicant to most of them. I applied once out of college (UCI), but didn't have very much money and applied above my stats. I applied again last year (after saving money and researching the process much more) to most of these schools, but was unsuccessful. Does this change your opinion significantly?
How many interviews?

How many interviews?

One interview and two holds. I did however turn in my secondaries (better written I believe) in slightly earlier this year. Last year I had the majority in by mid-August (versus the end of July this year).

How did you manage 8000 hours of scribing? Just curious. That's 8 years at my program because we max at 1000 a year...

How did you manage 8000 hours of scribing? Just curious. That's 8 years at my program because we max at 1000 a year.

I started at the end of my freshman year (so 6 years so far), and by the time I apply that'll be over 8000+. I also now work as a head for that program, 15-20 scribes under one ER physician group, which is a separate activity ~600 hours.

-there is also no maximum hour cap for where I work :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One interview and two holds. I did however turn in my secondaries (better written I believe) in slightly earlier this year. Last year I had the majority in by mid-August (versus the end of July this year).
If you had a knowledgeable person review your application, all you can do now is try to get some mock interviews. Perhaps your undergrad has a career center.

If you had a knowledgeable person review your application, all you can do now is try to get some mock interviews. Perhaps your undergrad has a career center.

Thank you very much for your advice :) I really appreciate you taking the time. My only other question would be your thoughts on applying to DO schools. Do you think I should complete that process as well?

Thank you very much for your advice :) I really appreciate you taking the time. My only other question would be your thoughts on applying to DO schools. Do you think I should complete that process as well?
On a third application, it would be prudent. Many DO schools like a DO letter.