Ways to get patient care hours without certificate/training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snickerdoodle1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What is the best way to get direct patient care hours without going through training and having to get a certificate? I am really short on time and dont have any patient care hours yet for PA school so I am freaking out because I recently changed my major.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about PA aside from hanging out once in awhile with the admissions director of a PA program. What I do know is that the expectations regarding clinical experience are much greater for PA applicants than med school applicants. Take the time to get some kind of certification (EMT is one option) and plan on working full-time for one year after college and then applying after a year of experience in patient care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My local PA school advertised a 500 hour patient contact minimum, but the average matriculant had 4,000. I did the math and it turned out getting an MD was faster.

To answer your question, show up at your local VA volunteer office. They'll be happy to have you and find something for you to do.

Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Usually orderlys don't need any sort of official training outside of BLS.

Reactions: 1 user
Certain offices will hire you as a medical assistant and train you with what you need to know without getting a certificate in it. I am currently working in such a position, and it has been an excellent way to get hands on clinical experience with patients (practice interviewing, blood drawing, and assisting with procedures.)

Reactions: 1 user