Ways to get patient care hours without certificate/training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snickerdoodle1996

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

What is the best way to get direct patient care hours without going through training and having to get a certificate? I am really short on time and dont have any patient care hours yet for PA school so I am freaking out because I recently changed my major.
 
I don't know much about PA aside from hanging out once in awhile with the admissions director of a PA program. What I do know is that the expectations regarding clinical experience are much greater for PA applicants than med school applicants. Take the time to get some kind of certification (EMT is one option) and plan on working full-time for one year after college and then applying after a year of experience in patient care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually orderlys don't need any sort of official training outside of BLS.
 
Certain offices will hire you as a medical assistant and train you with what you need to know without getting a certificate in it. I am currently working in such a position, and it has been an excellent way to get hands on clinical experience with patients (practice interviewing, blood drawing, and assisting with procedures.)