WCVM or UCVM C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeilaFay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start a new thread! Since there are a few questions about GPA circulating now...

I little about me: I will be in the WCVM c/o 2016! :)

I have applied to WCVM from BC and AB.

I have also applied to UCVM and been through the MMI.

So, if you have any questions feel free to throw them my way!

Cheers and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Well... Cheers to the other wait-listers out there! Might as well get an early start on the thread for next year... Or maybe we'll wind up lucky? :luck: Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... Cheers to the other wait-listers out there! Might as well get an early start on the thread for next year... Or maybe we'll wind up lucky? :luck: Here's hoping!

It can't hurt to plan ahead! Especially for getting hours of experience, the summer time is the time to do it!

Before you know it summer will be over and you'll have to plan your course work. Only two more months left! Now, if only the weather would cooperate... ;)

Keep us posted on your waitlist status!

yay! A new thread :)

I'm trying to get a start for next year. It's so hard finding large animal places to volunteer/shadow. I live in the city, and all the large animal places are an hour and a half drive away. I've been calling places and e-mailing out my resume but no luck :( Do you guys have any advice for finding large animal volunteer work? It's not like I can just drop in every week and pester them until they accept me haha :p

yay! A new thread :)

I'm trying to get a start for next year. It's so hard finding large animal places to volunteer/shadow. I live in the city, and all the large animal places are an hour and a half drive away. I've been calling places and e-mailing out my resume but no luck :( Do you guys have any advice for finding large animal volunteer work? It's not like I can just drop in every week and pester them until they accept me haha :p

Just keep doing what you're doing. :) Are there any mixed places nearby?

Just keep doing what you're doing. :) Are there any mixed places nearby?

Yes I shall keep trying :) There aren't any nearby places that I can find on google. I volunteer at a barn that's nearby, but with the cats only. They do riding lessons and stuff so if I can get involved with that it might be good. I asked around to the horse owners and their vets are also far away. But I really want to get large animal vet experience this summer! Whyyy must it be so hard

WCVM BC waitlister here! (Booo, waitlist!)

I assume by this point it is more likely for me to end up in 2017 than for this darn waitlist to move!

So hello potential future classmates!

Fishfinn, there are probably places in the area you could get equine experience, but as far as production animals it's pretty difficult. I know UBC has some in experimental colonies, but I worked there as an employee and I'm not sure what their view is toward volunteers, especially since they just moved to a new building. (You are in Vancouver, aren't you? I seem to remember that ... or think I remember that ... )

WCVM BC waitlister here! (Booo, waitlist!)

I assume by this point it is more likely for me to end up in 2017 than for this darn waitlist to move!

So hello potential future classmates!

Fishfinn, there are probably places in the area you could get equine experience, but as far as production animals it's pretty difficult. I know UBC has some in experimental colonies, but I worked there as an employee and I'm not sure what their view is toward volunteers, especially since they just moved to a new building. (You are in Vancouver, aren't you? I seem to remember that ... or think I remember that ... )

Yes I am in Vancouver! Was UBC the only place you got large animal experience with? I've been calling and e-mailing large and mixed vets in Langley and Aldergrove with no luck. I'm gonna keep trying! That's my one goal for the summer, since there's no way I'll have time to drive for 3 hrs once classes start in fall :p

Yes I am in Vancouver! Was UBC the only place you got large animal experience with? I've been calling and e-mailing large and mixed vets in Langley and Aldergrove with no luck. I'm gonna keep trying! That's my one goal for the summer, since there's no way I'll have time to drive for 3 hrs once classes start in fall :p

Yep - so far, at least. I'm planning on having more this application cycle, hopefully, though I'm moving back home to Langley once the summer ends and I will be SURROUNDED by farms (ugh ugh ugh ugh) so I guess that won't be an issue.

I don't know if my lack of large animal was a factor in being where I am, though - I won't get feedback until classes start. (Pooooooooooo.) But if it is I'll let you know.

Yep - so far, at least. I'm planning on having more this application cycle, hopefully, though I'm moving back home to Langley once the summer ends and I will be SURROUNDED by farms (ugh ugh ugh ugh) so I guess that won't be an issue.

I don't know if my lack of large animal was a factor in being where I am, though - I won't get feedback until classes start. (Pooooooooooo.) But if it is I'll let you know.

Good luck with the wait list! Do you know when you would be contacted if it does move?

You're so lucky to be moving to Langley! (in terms of large animal stuff) Hopefully I can find something this summer. My feedback didn't say anything specifically about not enough large animal experience (and I had none at all). They said something vague about getting more veterinary experience in general, so I think it would be good to incorporate some large animal stuff into. They also said I need to learn more about animal industries. I think most of that kind of knowledge comes from reading about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I shall keep trying :) There aren't any nearby places that I can find on google. I volunteer at a barn that's nearby, but with the cats only. They do riding lessons and stuff so if I can get involved with that it might be good. I asked around to the horse owners and their vets are also far away. But I really want to get large animal vet experience this summer! Whyyy must it be so hard

I know we sort of talked about some other options previously...

Now I'm thinking again... Where do large animal people congregate? Have you tried visiting the agrifair? Chilliwack fair? The PNE is a ways away still. But I'm thinking 4-Her's parents would be a good place to network/chat to people. Many 4-Hers have farms, and the congregate at fairs for their shows in all large animal species. I honestly can't remember when all the fairs are, it's been awhile, but you may be able to google something.

Also, there uses to be a feed store in Langley, on 248St at the Otter Coop, where all small farms get their feed. Sometimes they have bulletin boards and such maybe you could post something? Or even just chatting to people there?

Definitely keep at what you're doing! The horse experience would be awesome!

I know it's difficult when there is nothing close by, but you'll find a way!

I do know several people got in to WCVM with little or no large animal experience, so don't fret too much if you haven't worked much with large animals. Have you tried Langley Animal Clinic? Dr. Linde is really nice and let me do a ride along a few years ago and he told me the clinic takes (used to take...?) volunteers. For horse work, you can also try volunteering at Southlands Therapeutic Riding Society, although it wouldn't be vet work. You might be able to ask them who their vet is though and try to contact them though!

Oh and remember that your experience doesn't have to be just small animal or large animal practice - try volunteering at the emergency clinic, wildlife rehab centres, the aquarium, researchers at UBC who work with animals, or even contact some government vets (ie. at the Animal Health Centre in Abbotsford) and ask if you can job shadow them!

Thanks for all the ideas LeilaFay and Kylana! My goal is to get at least a little large animal before end of summer. I'll let you guys know how that goes :)

Hmm... Large animal stuff is important, but how much emphasis is placed on it changes from year to year from what I've seen. I have a friend who had no large animal experience and very little knowledge get in, but I've had feedback tell me I need more. So it definitely never hurts to have exposure. I'd also say it's important to keep in mind that not all your volunteer things should be animal related. It's good to show interest in other things outside of veterinary medicine. Being a balanced individual is also important and helps give you things to discuss in your application/interview. Since the interview kicks off with questions about your personal life, it's a good way to open up and ease your way into discussing the bigger, harder ideas that they throw at you.

Also, for the record; generally after both colleges send out acceptances, it's about a week before the assigned class has to respond... and during THAT time it's more likely for the wait-lists to move. Unless anything major happens to someone over summer, or someone is scared out of the class in the first two weeks... well... we'll all be sitting outside 3101 again next year.

Oh and remember that your experience doesn't have to be just small animal or large animal practice - try volunteering at the emergency clinic, wildlife rehab centres, the aquarium, researchers at UBC who work with animals, or even contact some government vets (ie. at the Animal Health Centre in Abbotsford) and ask if you can job shadow them!

Agreed!

I volunteered with VAEC and WRA.

But there is also critter care and other emerg clinics.

I also volunteer with WRA and have also volunteered with Vancouver Avian Research Centre. I thought that would give me some good variety, but they didn't touch at all on those experiences in my interview which I was really disappointed about :( They basically probed me on large animal and food animal stuff.

I also volunteer with WRA and have also volunteered with Vancouver Avian Research Centre. I thought that would give me some good variety, but they didn't touch at all on those experiences in my interview which I was really disappointed about :( They basically probed me on large animal and food animal stuff.

:( sorry to hear that

Each interview panel is different between provinces and between years. So hopefully next year's puts some value on it!

Do you think volunteering at a horse stable for this application cycle is useless since it's not under vet supervision? They never said anything about getting more large animal experience in my feedback but since I have a whole year and live in Sask. with plenty farms surrounding me I thought I would take it upon myself and work with animals I never get to be around on a daily basis. I just hope they'll still value this year of experience and volunteering even though it's not necessarily with a vet..

I found volunteering at a stable useful. I think you may end up with more hands on experience there than shadowing an equine vet. Sure, you won't see a lot of medical cases, but I wouldn't say it's useless.

Of course it depends on the barn, but I got more hands-on experience through just working with horses than I did shadowing (the horses were too valuable for me to do anything at the practice I was at :( ). Things like de-worming and vaccinations and the odd medical case (colics are awesome -- not that I would wish it on anyone though.). I think showing an effort to work with animals and find a animal-related job shows that you're still committed. Maybe you could get in with the vet that comes to the place you work at too! :)

Thanks! I feel more confident about it now. Two of the vets I work with at a small animal clinic thought it was a really good idea and then the other vet made me second guess it by saying it's basically a waste if it's not with a vet. But equine experience, whether under vet supervision or not is better than none I guess! I may even get to tag along for some ultrasounds on Friday, which I'm excited about!

Also, I asked this in the c/o 2016 thread before realizing this new one was made and maybe someone can help me. Is it best to contact admissions first and ask to speak to Dr. Grahn or should I e-mail him or call him directly? The feedback I was given was super vague and I just missed the 20 by a couple spots..I just want to make sure I spend the year doing things that will benefit me when I apply again instead of just assuming things.

I would call (or email -- you could do that too) and ask for a time to discuss your app and the feedback. That way you're setting up an appointment of sorts and hopefully that gives him time to take a look at it and give you a better answer as to what you could do to improve. Just my thoughts though. :)

Thanks! I feel more confident about it now. Two of the vets I work with at a small animal clinic thought it was a really good idea and then the other vet made me second guess it by saying it's basically a waste if it's not with a vet. But equine experience, whether under vet supervision or not is better than none I guess! I may even get to tag along for some ultrasounds on Friday, which I'm excited about!

Also, I asked this in the c/o 2016 thread before realizing this new one was made and maybe someone can help me. Is it best to contact admissions first and ask to speak to Dr. Grahn or should I e-mail him or call him directly? The feedback I was given was super vague and I just missed the 20 by a couple spots..I just want to make sure I spend the year doing things that will benefit me when I apply again instead of just assuming things.

I spoke with Dr. Grahn, but I had Heather arrange the appointment for me when she called me back with my feedback. Were you wait-listed or just below it?

A few years back I called Dr Grahn directly as that was what was offered in the letter I received. If your letter says the same, then I say call him and set up an appointment.

So yesterday I had the vet out to look at my horse and last night my dog scared me with what appeared to be him not breathing. Thankfully he was...but my point is...I dont know about all of you guys but I am beyond ready to be a vet so that I can start dealing with these issues instead of paying someone else too or getting scared out of my pants cause I dont know what to do! This is going to be a long year of waiting!!

Yes, it will be a long year...I'm looking at when apps open up now to try and shorten it some. ;)

Got my feedback letter today! So it looks like I predicted pretty well what I need to do to improve for next year. They did mention adding additional years of schooling (which I'm afraid is highly unlikely since I've spent 6 yrs in undergrad and just finished :( ) as well as expanding my experience past mainly equine-related activities. Not too difficult!

Did anyone else receive anything today that was on the alternate list?

Yeah. I got my feedback letter today. Basically the same things Dr. Grahn had spoken about with me. I got the additional years of schooling too (although my undergrad was 5 years long.) The applicant pool is definitely getting more competitive, so ... cheers to us! Also, communicating clearly and confidently was on there, which I admit for me is difficult; after 4 interviews I feel like I have a bit of a complex!
This year I'm going to try and get back into teaching more agility/obedience as I found being in front of a group of people every week really helped me out in that respect. Organized thoughts!!! This isn't tough stuff for me either, but you know... after so many interviews they have to know how difficult it is to a) not sound crazy, b) not be terrified that you're screwing it up AGAIN or c) not be bitter because you've been so close every time.
Haha. Oh well. I think I'm glad I finally joined this forum. I didn't really talk these things through with anyone before. I found it too stressful. Maybe this year, it will provide the cathartic effect I need. :p

Got my feedback letter today! So it looks like I predicted pretty well what I need to do to improve for next year. They did mention adding additional years of schooling (which I'm afraid is highly unlikely since I've spent 6 yrs in undergrad and just finished :( ) as well as expanding my experience past mainly equine-related activities. Not too difficult!

Did anyone else receive anything today that was on the alternate list?

You can do this!!

Also, communicating clearly and confidently was on there, which I admit for me is difficult; after 4 interviews I feel like I have a bit of a complex!
This year I'm going to try and get back into teaching more agility/obedience as I found being in front of a group of people every week really helped me out in that respect. Organized thoughts!!! This isn't tough stuff for me either, but you know... after so many interviews they have to know how difficult it is to a) not sound crazy, b) not be terrified that you're screwing it up AGAIN or c) not be bitter because you've been so close every time.
Haha. Oh well. I think I'm glad I finally joined this forum. I didn't really talk these things through with anyone before. I found it too stressful. Maybe this year, it will provide the cathartic effect I need. :p

Understandably. It is very nerve wracking!

On my third interview, I prepared by taking the main themes, and the overlapping questions from my previous two interviews... And created pre-formed answers to those.

Then had my sister and my vet quiz me. My sister was awesome because she would interrupt me and say NO START OVER!! :) so I had little practice with answering poorly because she would cut me off.

During the interview it felt good because I kept thinking, oh I have a pre-formed answer to this one! I felt more confident and it was more fluid.

I am pretty sure that had I not practiced I wouldn't have done well.

So, I started my first day of work in reception at a 24-hr emerg. clinic yesterday and met the guy who's position I'm training to take over. He's leaving to attend WCVM in the fall...was 3rd on the wait list. That wasn't the best feeling in the world. :( Good to hear that it moves the first few for AB though.

Just have to pick yourself up and keep on going! New app in September! :)

So, I started my first day of work in reception at a 24-hr emerg. clinic yesterday and met the guy who's position I'm training to take over. He's leaving to attend WCVM in the fall...was 3rd on the wait list. That wasn't the best feeling in the world. :( Good to hear that it moves the first few for AB though.

Good luck with the new job!

I hear you! In my 3 years at the 24HR clinic here I've worked with 2 people who got in and I've been left behind. It'll be our turn next year, I hope :)

I hear you! In my 3 years at the 24HR clinic here I've worked with 2 people who got in and I've been left behind. It'll be our turn next year, I hope :)

where abouts is the 24 hr clinic that you work at??

Haha, I totally know that guy! Took a couple courses with him in undergrad.

Thanks LeilaFay! I need an update on your school planning! :D

It's in Deerfoot Meadows off Deerfoot Trail/Glenmore Trail. :)
That's really cool Braki! Definitely a small world.

Thanks LeilaFay! I need an update on your school planning! :D

I just got back yesterday from a road trip there. I found a place to live! Yay! I walked around the campus and found which classrooms we will be in for the first week. Other than that, I need to organize my stuff and a moving truck.

Sweet!!! Are you living with roommates or did you manage to find a place on your own?

Hey all....sorry I kind of took a hiatus from here. Was away on vacation and had a rough week last week. My three year old beagle was having just mild seizures (otherwise she was very happy and healthy), but since I work at a vet clinic the vets just said I should bring her in for a quick blood and urine analysis to rule out any other possibilities besides the early onset of epilepsy. I brought her into work during one of my shifts and while the technician was trying to get urine she ended up hitting my dog's aorta artery and my dog bled internally and passed away very suddenly and obviously, unexpectedly. It's probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced and WITNESSED thus far in my life. I never ever wanted that to be my last memory of my poor baby and am having a tough time getting through it.

I did want to write on here today (other than I know you all can probably relate or at least understand how I am feeling) because my dad's optometrist actually just told him the other day that his niece (Saskatchewan resident) got in this year..after her 4th time applying, and because of an unfortunate family matter is thinking of giving up her spot this year and hoping to get in again next year. I know Thenuttyclub, you were very close or in the 21st position on the waiting list right? So you may have some hope if she decides to forgo attending WCVM this year. Just thought I would share this information!

Omg dls116, I am so so so so sorry to hear that. :( :cry: that is absolutely awful. You have my deepest sympathies in this sad time.

I had to re-read your post a few times because I was so shocked. I am so sorry for your loss.

Yikes.... that sounds like a really horrifying way to end things :( I'm sorry to hear that too. Unfortunately I'm number 22... so I'd need one more after that. But one is a lot more hopeful than two, so you never know. I appreciate you sharing that information regardless though.

Hey all....sorry I kind of took a hiatus from here. Was away on vacation and had a rough week last week. My three year old beagle was having just mild seizures (otherwise she was very happy and healthy), but since I work at a vet clinic the vets just said I should bring her in for a quick blood and urine analysis to rule out any other possibilities besides the early onset of epilepsy. I brought her into work during one of my shifts and while the technician was trying to get urine she ended up hitting my dog's aorta artery and my dog bled internally and passed away very suddenly and obviously, unexpectedly. It's probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced and WITNESSED thus far in my life. I never ever wanted that to be my last memory of my poor baby and am having a tough time getting through it.

OMG I am so sorry to hear this... It sounds like you've lived the worst nightmare. :(

We're always here if you need to vent, cry, or even to tell us how much you miss her. Please take care of yourself!

This is my worst nightmare and I'm sorry you had to go through this. My thoughts are with you :(

So, just throwing this out there - has anyone else here applied to other professional programs outside of veterinary medicine, or at least considered grad school? I'm trying to decide what I want to do for this year and I think I should at least start considering what potential alternate careers are. I seriously can't see myself doing anything other than veterinary medicine... but I did apply to pharmacy last year, just to see how that went. Since I'm stuck applying again, I was considering broadening my scope... Any thoughts?