Weird GPA trend line and credits...is it that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Below is a chart I would like some feedback on...

So, this is my running GPA, my GPA for each quarter and the number of credits taken simultaneously (right axis)....2 breaks in schooling, the first chunk was all semester not quarter (FL13-FL14) at 2x full time rate (SP14 GPA was like a 3.29) (All clinical classes in a military setting), massive dip in GPA when I tried to come back to school the first time (Poor decision, just had first child, started new job, promoted in military etc. so school suffered), straightened all of my stuff out and came back the second time. Nothing but the sciences since FL17 (GPA for WN19 has been assumed based on the classes I am taking and how well I have performed the last 2 years).

I know some schools like reinvention, does this fit that boat? Does anyone have any feedback on this? I may just be stressing out over nothing, but will I be ok come application (MCAT 514, no worries in regards to ECs)? Does anyone have any examples of schools that like reinvention?

I appreciate any help/feedback I can get.

upload_2018-12-11_15-35-52.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-11_15-35-15.png
    upload_2018-12-11_15-35-15.png
    19 KB · Views: 60
In my opinion you’re fine. Just apply broadly and widely

So, this is my running GPA, my GPA for each quarter and the number of credits taken simultaneously (right axis)....2 breaks in schooling, the first chunk was all semester not quarter (FL13-FL14) at 2x full time rate (SP14 GPA was like a 3.29) (All clinical classes in a military setting), massive dip in GPA when I tried to come back to school the first time (Poor decision, just had first child, started new job, promoted in military etc. so school suffered), straightened all of my stuff out and came back the second time. Nothing but the sciences since FL17 (GPA for WN19 has been assumed based on the classes I am taking and how well I have performed the last 2 years).

I know some schools like reinvention, does this fit that boat? Does anyone have any feedback on this? I may just be stressing out over nothing, but will I be ok come application (MCAT 514, no worries in regards to ECs)? Does anyone have any examples of schools that like reinvention?

View attachment 243961
y opinion

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 243961
Chill

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion you’re fine. Just apply broadly and widely

y opinion
This is the silly question, but what is meant by apply broadly and widely? I obviously am applying to 15 schools across 8 states ranging from rank 63 to rank 8 (mostly in the 30s and 40s). Is that wide and broad enough? Unfortunately, the schools that are lower ranking/lower GPA/MCATs that I have looked at are almost exclusively in parts of the country either I/my wife/my daughter don't want to live or the job market/elementary schools are not the best.

I would just say apply to 20ish schools that match your stats and are known for accepting out of state applicants, then your IS schools of course. Maybe a couple reach schools if you want. You’d be amazed how many people apply to Harvard Yale and 10 others like them and wonder why no II. The MSAR will show you each school, number of accepted OOS applicants and average accepted gpa/MCAT
This is the silly question, but what is meant by apply broadly and widely? I obviously am applying to 15 schools across 8 states ranging from rank 63 to rank 8 (mostly in the 30s and 40s). Is that wide and broad enough? Unfortunately, the schools that are lower ranking/lower GPA/MCATs that I have looked at are almost exclusively in parts of the country either I/my wife/my daughter don't want to live or the job market/elementary schools are not the best.

Primary, Secondary, MCAT (I guess that is paid for...), Nice-ish suit, Interview transportation and lodging etc - I guess $2,800 without interviews, and then around $600 per interview plus $500 for a suit if I get an interview anywhere. $6,000 is the super high end, realistically (hopefully) somewhere in the $4000 range.

Reactions: 1 user
Primary, Secondary, MCAT (I guess that is paid for...), Nice-ish suit, Interview transportation and lodging etc - I guess $2,800 without interviews, and then around $600 per interview plus $500 for a suit if I get an interview anywhere. $6,000 is the super high end, realistically (hopefully) somewhere in the $4000 range.
Ohhhh, got it. Totally thought you were just referring to primary and secondary fees.

I would just say apply to 20ish schools that match your stats and are known for accepting out of state applicants, then your IS schools of course. Maybe a couple reach schools if you want. You’d be amazed how many people apply to Harvard Yale and 10 others like them and wonder why no II. The MSAR will show you each school, number of accepted OOS applicants and average accepted gpa/MCAT
While I would love to have that Harvard degree, the stats aren't matching up and Boston is waaaaaaaaay too expensive for a family of 3... Same with the NYU and manhatten type schools. Sweet, this is what I needed to hear. I think I can afford to bump up to 20 schools.

Do you have a list or know where I could find an OOS friendly list + those that like nontrad/'reinvention'?

Thank you, I am pretty chill about it, I just want to make absolutely certain I have a decent shot SOMEWHERE before shelling out $6,000....
Take two of these please:
upload_2018-12-11_17-11-19.jpeg

You're fine.
Target these:
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
U VM
U Toledo
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school(s).