2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance - good luck to those on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
@snowcrawler85 thank you for the heads up!

Another few questions if I may:
1. how did you find the grading system (as opposed to a traditional letter grading system)
2. Do you feel like COMP-NW sets you up to succeed on boards? Do they offer subscriptions to commonly used alternative learning resources like Sketchy or UWorld?
Sorry I totally saw this and then got caught up with rotations, my bad…

1. Grading system is fine, it hasn’t really affected me. I think most places use high pass/honors for rotations so everyone knows what it means.

2. You get FA money for sketchy and uworld so no they don’t pay for it. They hired some new people to help with board prep since the people I worked with have left so I can’t answer that question. IMO if you know your board prep stuff, pathoma/sketchy/B&B etc you can crush boards at any school. And yeah, our curriculum doesn't drown you with low yield crap second year either

Reactions: 2 users
@snowcrawler85 Does Western require a drug test for incoming DO students or just the background check? The reason I'm confused is because the Precheck company does do drug tests but when I ordered the background check that was not included. I'm guessing drug tests are only done before rotations. Any insight? I'm just wanting to get my checklist done lol, all these unfinished items are giving me anxiety! 😂

Members don't see this ad :)
@snowcrawler85 Does Western require a drug test for incoming DO students or just the background check? The reason I'm confused is because the Precheck company does do drug tests but when I ordered the background check that was not included. I'm guessing drug tests are only done before rotations. Any insight? I'm just wanting to get my checklist done lol, all these unfinished items are giving me anxiety! 😂
You are correct. You don't have to do a drug test as an incoming student, just the background check.

How does your typical week look for OMS-I in regards to attending in-person lecture/lab? I'm planning to move down from Portland when the year starts, but I wanted to see if it was possible to split time between living in Portland and Lebanon on a weekly basis

How does your typical week look for OMS-I in regards to attending in-person lecture/lab? I'm planning to move down from Portland when the year starts, but I wanted to see if it was possible to split time between living in Portland and Lebanon on a weekly basis
It varies a little, but mysef and some other students go back to Portland on the weekends. We always have CMR and OMM on Mondays and Tuesdays. Anatomy lab is usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but it is not evey week. The amount of anatomy varies by block, and I think you have the most lab time in the first two blocks. Occasionally there are in person workshops on Fridays that are mandatory, but those are more rare.

TLDR: Totally possible to go up on weekends. Sometimes if everything is virtual I'll go up to Portland earlier like on a Wednesday or Thursday. With all that being said, I am not sure how things are going to change in the Fall when (hopefully) COVID is finally under control.

Reactions: 1 users
It varies a little, but mysef and some other students go back to Portland on the weekends. We always have CMR and OMM on Mondays and Tuesdays. Anatomy lab is usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but it is not evey week. The amount of anatomy varies by block, and I think you have the most lab time in the first two blocks. Occasionally there are in person workshops on Fridays that are mandatory, but those are more rare.

TLDR: Totally possible to go up on weekends. Sometimes if everything is virtual I'll go up to Portland earlier like on a Wednesday or Thursday. With all that being said, I am not sure how things are going to change in the Fall when (hopefully) COVID is finally under control.
Super helpful! Thank you so much!

Does anybody know if they pull people off of the waitlist in batches or as individual seats come up?

Complete silence for months and only a "covid update" thanks 👁 👄 👁

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I just got off the waitlist/alternate list (dunno the difference) - less than half an hour before I needed to go into another interview haha. Interviewed in mid-Jan, alt list in late Jan.

I believe I just got off the waitlist/alternate list (dunno the difference) - less than half an hour before I needed to go into another interview haha. Interviewed in mid-Jan, alt list in late Jan.
Are you going to take the A or are you planning to go to another program?

Are you going to take the A or are you planning to go to another program?
Not yet, because I am interviewing for the Pomona campus soon and just found out that accepting the offer for one campus automatically withdraws your application from the other. I have no regional ties to either location so I am going to wait to see hear back from financial aid and see if it is better than the other DO program I am in.

Does the school have a library in the building? Or is there like ample study space? If not, where do people often go to study? I am wondering if a current student could help give me some insight on this because I am worried about not being able to focus well studying at home.

Does the school have a library in the building? Or is there like ample study space? If not, where do people often go to study? I am wondering if a current student could help give me some insight on this because I am worried about not being able to focus well studying at home.
There’s a library with study cubicals, but there is a ton of space on campus to study including study rooms you can “rent/check-out” with white boards, treadmill desks, and about 50 other desks all over the campus to sit and study.

+1 also withdrew my A here late last week :) good luck to everyone!

I was just offered a seat in this class but will not be accepting. Good luck to everyone!

Can someone speak to the attendance and lecture policy now that covid is under control?

I got an II for this week. Do you know if they still have open spots? Anyone here still on the waitlist?

• Wow
I interviewed veryyyyy late (6/10/22) and got the A today! Surprised but happy!

Last edited:
Do people usually live right by campus or in a city nearby, I see a lot of available apartments in Albany and am wondering if it's more common to live there

Do people usually live right by campus or in a city nearby, I see a lot of available apartments in Albany and am wondering if it's more common to live there
I'm going to live in Albany and from what I've heard from current students quite a few live in Corvallis and Albany. Living close to school is always nice, but I'd prefer to be closer to Corvallis since there's more things to do there.

Will there still be lots of virtual days? Are exams weekly? What days if so? Hope to commute to pdx for the weekends. Feasible to leave Thursday nights and come back Sunday nights?

Will there still be lots of virtual days? Are exams weekly? What days if so? Hope to commute to pdx for the weekends. Feasible to leave Thursday nights and come back Sunday nights?
they’ve gone back to in-person OMM and CMR classes, typically on campus classes a couple days a week. Before Covid 75% of classes were optional and streamed from Pomona/live from Lebanon.. Exams are typically Friday’s starting after the first month, beginning FOM 1, not sure if quizzes are in person or streamed. i know people who had SO‘s who lived in Pdx and went home on weekends but don’t anticipate 3-day weekends every weekend

Hello! I applied in the 2021-22 cycle and had a couple interviews which resulted in waitlists. I was planning on reapplying but I got a call today from Western Oregon. I was on the alternate list for Western Pomona and since they’re affiliated I got a call from Oregon since they had a spot open. They offered me a position on their class this year but the thing is, class starts August 1st. I would have to apply for loans, find an apartment and move, quit my job and everything in two weeks. While it’s exciting that I got an acceptance I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I suddenly have to say bye to my family and boyfriend and just move. I live in Southern California so it’s not a terrible move but still pretty far. I was wondering if anyone had experience getting into school this late? How the process was and getting settled and everything?

Hello! I applied in the 2021-22 cycle and had a couple interviews which resulted in waitlists. I was planning on reapplying but I got a call today from Western Oregon. I was on the alternate list for Western Pomona and since they’re affiliated I got a call from Oregon since they had a spot open. They offered me a position on their class this year but the thing is, class starts August 1st. I would have to apply for loans, find an apartment and move, quit my job and everything in two weeks. While it’s exciting that I got an acceptance I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I suddenly have to say bye to my family and boyfriend and just move. I live in Southern California so it’s not a terrible move but still pretty far. I was wondering if anyone had experience getting into school this late? How the process was and getting settled and everything?
Kinda in your shoes but not really. If apartment hunting is too stressful atm, maybe get an Airbnb (sometimes it can be cheaper) until winter break? And then get an apartment in the new year? Point is, the living situation is probably the easiest thing for you to figure out atm.