2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the website, I don't see Eugene listed as a rotation site? Can you please explain what rotation opportunities are available in the Eugene area (core and elective)?

Not sure when the site was updated, but Eugene is a core site. Humboldt county in Ca is also core but no one usually goes there (I think we have 1 this year).

rotations are at McKenzie willamette and Riverbend hospitals and a lot of private clinics, as for electives not sure what’s in Eugene but I would assume a lot. Most core sites have 10-20 specialities as elective rotations. I honestly can’t be more thorough cause I’m not going there next year.. but I know it’s a pretty big core site now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few questions on the academics/curriculum:

How frequently do you take exams

Are lectures mandatory/recorded

How many hours a week are you in labs/in person activities? Which labs specifically (OMN, anatomy, etc)? Does this change each semester during the pre-clinical phase?

How much board prep time do you get?
Exams-
short blocks like MSK/derm (4-6 weeks long) 1 final exam- quizzes weekly very very low stakes (I rarely study)

long blocks ie most of them (8-12 weeks) 1 midterm and 1 final exam, weekly quizzes still very very low stakes

you do have SP encounters twice a block, 1 is during finals week

OMM practical- once during finals weeks

lectures- most non-mandatory, OMM and clinical skills lab are mandatory. All lectures are recorded and uploaded to site that day.

inperson- year 1- omm 4 hours week
Clinical skills 4 hours a week
Anatomy- not every week but 2-4 hours and whenever you want cause it’s open.

year 2- no idea cause of covid

board prep- starts beginning of may you have to take boards by First week of July (I think) I’m mid June so 7 weeks for me

sorry if that’s brief wanted to answer the questions but also studying for my finals too. Let me know if you need anything else. Generally my life is pretty chill and I take time off and enjoy my family, i like the curriculum set up

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to send a letter of interest if we haven’t had an interview? Not sure if they are done interviewing or not

Is it too late to send a letter of interest if we haven’t had an interview? Not sure if they are done interviewing or not
They are interviewing until April! I would definitely send a letter of interest.

when is the deadline for the secondary app for Oregon campus??

Does anyone know how the school feels about thank you letters post interview?

To people who have been accepted, does anyone know where we can find info on when orientation, white coat ceremony(if it’s happening?), and the first day are? I vaguely remember it from the interview and the orientation being the 3rd week or so of July and starting school the 2nd week of August.

I got an II two days ago. Excited. They're still in their process, everyone...

Reactions: 6 users
To people who have been accepted, does anyone know where we can find info on when orientation, white coat ceremony(if it’s happening?), and the first day are? I vaguely remember it from the interview and the orientation being the 3rd week or so of July and starting school the 2nd week of August.

I have down that orientation is July 26-29, white coat ceremony is July 30, and classes starting August 9!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a II a few days ago!
For those of you who have interviewed, how long was the actual interview day? (8:00 am - ???) I found out of something I have to do the same day of the interview I scheduled and really don't want to have to reschedule due to it being so late in the cycle! Thanks for any information youre able to give!

• Care
Just got a II a few days ago!
For those of you who have interviewed, how long was the actual interview day? (8:00 am - ???) I found out of something I have to do the same day of the interview I scheduled and really don't want to have to reschedule due to it being so late in the cycle! Thanks for any information youre able to give!
hi congrats! this interview was much shorter than other interview days, since they have you watch a bunch of videos ahead of time. I believe I was finished by 11:00am, definitely before noon!

Just got the waitlist email, anyone know how much movement there usually is?

Just got the waitlist email, anyone know how much movement there usually is?
I thought that they ended up accepting everyone off the waitlist eventually and they will also dip into the alternate list. So it is as good as an acceptance I thought. Coming from another person who just got that email. I’m excited because now I don’t have to make a deposit so soon.

I thought that they ended up accepting everyone off the waitlist eventually and they will also dip into the alternate list. So it is as good as an acceptance I thought. Coming from another person who just got that email. I’m excited because now I don’t have to make a deposit so soon.
That's good to hear! It's weird because my status update says that I'm in the "Waitlisted Candidates" group but my portal asked me to confirm my interest in the Alternate Status.

—— in previous year’s waitlist and alternate list have been two different things at Comp.

Waitlist is typically been a highly ranked and they make it clear that the class is full and they would have accepted you if they had spots. Alternate list is like everyone else’s waitlist.

waitlist typically has great movement and most are accepted. Alternate is variable year to year, with not much movement until May/June typically.

again this has been the last few years and with covid nothing has been typically. Good luck to all. Remember to call the school if you have any questions regarding your status!!

Last edited:
That's good to hear! It's weird because my status update says that I'm in the "Waitlisted Candidates" group but my portal asked me to confirm my interest in the Alternate Status.
I am in the same boat. Did you click accept for the alternate status?

I am in the same boat. Did you click accept for the alternate status?
Is the alternate status at Lebanon campus the same as the Pomona cmapus. The Pomona campus seems to have 3 "Waitlist" tiers this cycle (deferred admission, waitlist, then alternate).

Is the alternate status at Lebanon campus the same as the Pomona cmapus. The Pomona campus seems to have 3 "Waitlist" tiers this cycle (deferred admission, waitlist, then alternate).
I thought the waitlist was the “deferred admission” section? Basically they pitched it as “we’ll offer you admission when we get a spot open”

The Waitlist email made it sound like they wanted an update letter or a letter of intent. Are others on the waitlist sending them?

Can anybody comment on how well this school matches students into competitive specialties? Would I be making a big big mistake by coming here as opposed to one of my MD As?

Can anybody comment on how well this school matches students into competitive specialties? Would I be making a big big mistake by coming here as opposed to one of my MD As?
Unless you are set on OMT and truly desire to be an osteopathic physician, you should go with your allopathic option --- especially if you want to pursue a competitive specialty in the end.

Last edited:
Unless you are set on OMT and truly desire to be an osteopathic physician, you should go with your allopathic option --- especially if you want to pursue a competitive specialty in the end.
Thank you for the advice. This is my favorite school that I've gotten into, but the residency matching process is a little scary and the only thing keeping me from fully committing to this school.

Thank you for the advice. This is my favorite school that I've gotten into, but the residency matching process is a little scary and the only thing keeping me from fully committing to this school.
Yes we match competitive specialities... go to COMP-NW Facebook page and look through photos of past matches.

but remember Step and Comlex are pass/fail for you, that has to factor into your decision

Yes we match competitive specialities... go to COMP-NW Facebook page and look through photos of past matches.

but remember Step and Comlex are pass/fail for you, that has to factor into your decision
Thanks! I looked through the photos and those are some great matches! I didn't realize COMLEX was going pass/fail too, that definitely factors into my decision.

II last week, but I will be declining. I submitted on 7/11

Reactions: 4 users
Am I correct that this program is only doing waitlist spots now? Anyone know how much longer interviews will go?

I have an interview for 3/10. Not sure when the last date is though. I signed up for the earliest one possible!

Is there a class page on fb for us to join yet?
No, the Facebook page is started later in the spring when there is less variation in class list. You will get an email from Dr. FP when the page is open and how to join it. Should happen relatively soon though

No, the Facebook page is started later in the spring when there is less variation in class list. You will get an email from Dr. FP when the page is open and how to join it. Should happen relatively soon though
thank you!

Is there a class page on fb for us to join yet?
Snowcrawler85 is totally right (WHO ARE YOUUUU?)! To put a tighter timeline on it, you should get info on the FB groups within the next two weeks. Keep an eye out for an email!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Snowcrawler85 is totally right (WHO ARE YOUUUU?)! To put a tighter timeline on it, you should get info on the FB groups within the next two weeks. Keep an eye out for an email!
Who am I? Who are you?! Haha I’m someone who spends way too much time on my phone and probably should be studying.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone who has taken the ISAC course reading this forum? If so, could you offer your two cents about it? Worth it?

Is there anyone who has taken the ISAC course reading this forum? If so, could you offer your two cents about it? Worth it?
Hey! I did ISAC last year, so my experience was probably very different than previous years. Right now they are hoping to do ISAC in person, whereas last year it ended up being all online. I would definitely recommend it though if you are able. If anything, it is one less exam to take during assessment weeks. The program is intense, but I had taken several years off before matriculation and felt like I needed to see how I would handle things. You will still be responsible for anatomy lecture during the normal year, but you won't have to take the labs. I would say the downside of ISAC is you do become very close with the people you take it with, so it can feel a bit clique-y come fall. That has seemed to go away as the year moves on. ISAC students can also be TAs for the rest of the first year, which is a paid.

I am currently on the waitlist, but just got an acceptance to another DO school with 2 weeks to put down a $1500 deposit. Should I update COMPNW? I would rather go to COMP and I am hoping to avoid putting down 2 deposits if I can.

Hey! I did ISAC last year, so my experience was probably very different than previous years. Right now they are hoping to do ISAC in person, whereas last year it ended up being all online. I would definitely recommend it though if you are able. If anything, it is one less exam to take during assessment weeks. The program is intense, but I had taken several years off before matriculation and felt like I needed to see how I would handle things. You will still be responsible for anatomy lecture during the normal year, but you won't have to take the labs. I would say the downside of ISAC is you do become very close with the people you take it with, so it can feel a bit clique-y come fall. That has seemed to go away as the year moves on. ISAC students can also be TAs for the rest of the first year, which is a paid.
Thank you!! ☺️

Just got an acceptance call!!! Off the waitlist too, good sign for my fellow WL peers.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Just got the acceptance call off the waitlist as my partner and I were talking about what if I did!

Reactions: 5 users