You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WesternU c/o 2028
Started by barkology
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
PastelEl42
Full Member
long time lurker here, just made an account to congratulate everyone on their acceptances and say I will be declining my OOS acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the alternate list <3 !
(My interest is small animal, ER, and shelter medicine, as it seems some people have asked)
(My interest is small animal, ER, and shelter medicine, as it seems some people have asked)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
H.saltator
New Member
OOS alternate! Also wondering if anyone has an idea how much this list moves? Just wish I had more of an idea on if I'm 5 or 500 people down the list 😅
gracegoesvet
Grace G: Grace Goes Vet
Large! Food Animal or EquineDo you mind sharing your interests like small animals or large, etc?
mnguyen10857
New Member
OOS alternate 😅 anyone know how their waitlist works because I'm assuming it's different for every vet schools. Is there like a numbering system or is it just random? I saw somewhere where someone said that they were paired with a specific admitted student and if that student declined their seat then they would be accepted as an alternate, but I'm not sure how true this still is as this person applied back in 2021.
April 15 is the decision deadline for all schools in the country I believeCongrats to everyone who got accepted !!!!! I'm OOS Alternate. Pretty thankful, but hoping things move.
Does anyone know if there's a deadline by which accepted individuals must either decline or accept their seat?
Just opened up my email to my first rejection to get into vet school I’ve ever experienced. Been working in field since 2012, licensed vet tech since 2016. BS Zoology/ minor in wildlife conservation. AAS in veterinary technology. 3.3 GPA from undergad but 4.0 in tech school and from what I understood they look at those grades too. I never recalculated my final gpa after retaking a microbiology class and getting an A in biochem over this past summer. So it should be higher now…
I went to Belize in college and took a large animal practices in the tropics class with an A. Had to pay hundred$ to have them transfer that to give me extra boost too to application but I guess it wasn’t enough.
I have small animal GP, ER, and specialty med experience in addition to large animal and some exotic/lab animal. The only thing I don’t have is research. I have a lot of past clubs and extracurricular activities. I felt that my statement was pretty good and I also know that I had excellent letters bc one of my vet tech professors told me he scored me as high as possible…
I know it’s normal to feel disappointed and dwell on everything I could have done better and there’s so many people to compete for spots…. I did the math, only an 8% chance of getting in this year with 1400 applicants for ~110 seats or something. I did not want to get my hopes up but then I became confident after the interview.
What else do you guys think I should do to improve my application? Research? More wildlife? I have some but I’d love to do more volunteering in a zoo or sanctuary. I will ask the committee for feedback as well.
Also does ANYONE get in on 1st try? It seems like most that were posting acceptances were 2nd or 3rd time… ugh I’m already 33 and been in the field a long time so it sucks to feel like how am I not worthy of being a vet at this point!?
Congrats to class of ‘28!
I went to Belize in college and took a large animal practices in the tropics class with an A. Had to pay hundred$ to have them transfer that to give me extra boost too to application but I guess it wasn’t enough.
I have small animal GP, ER, and specialty med experience in addition to large animal and some exotic/lab animal. The only thing I don’t have is research. I have a lot of past clubs and extracurricular activities. I felt that my statement was pretty good and I also know that I had excellent letters bc one of my vet tech professors told me he scored me as high as possible…
I know it’s normal to feel disappointed and dwell on everything I could have done better and there’s so many people to compete for spots…. I did the math, only an 8% chance of getting in this year with 1400 applicants for ~110 seats or something. I did not want to get my hopes up but then I became confident after the interview.
What else do you guys think I should do to improve my application? Research? More wildlife? I have some but I’d love to do more volunteering in a zoo or sanctuary. I will ask the committee for feedback as well.
Also does ANYONE get in on 1st try? It seems like most that were posting acceptances were 2nd or 3rd time… ugh I’m already 33 and been in the field a long time so it sucks to feel like how am I not worthy of being a vet at this point!?
Congrats to class of ‘28!
Last edited:
Just opened up my email to my first rejection to get into vet school I’ve ever experienced. Been working in field since 2012, licensed vet tech since 2016. BS Zoology/ minor in wildlife conservation. AAS in veterinary technology. 3.3 GPA from undergad but 4.0 in tech school and from what I understood they look at those grades too. I never recalculated my final gpa after retaking a microbiology class and getting an A in biochem over this past summer. So it should be higher now…
I went to Belize in college and took a large animal practices in the tropics class with an A. Had to pay hundred$ to have them transfer that to give me extra boost too to application but I guess it wasn’t enough.
I have small animal GP, ER, and specialty med experience in addition to large animal and some exotic/lab animal. The only thing I don’t have is research. I have a lot of past clubs and extracurricular activities. I felt that my statement was pretty good and I also know that I had excellent letters bc one of my vet tech professors told me he scored me as high as possible…
I know it’s normal to feel disappointed and dwell on everything I could have done better and there’s so many people to compete for spots…. I did the math, only an 8% chance of getting in this year with 1400 applicants for ~110 seats or something. I did not want to get my hopes up but then I became confident after the interview.
What else do you guys think I should do to improve my application? Research? More wildlife? I have some but I’d love to do more volunteering in a zoo or sanctuary. I will ask the committee for feedback as well.
Also does ANYONE get in on 1st try? It seems like most that were posting acceptances were 2nd or 3rd time… ugh I’m already 33 and been in the field a long time so it sucks to feel like how am I not worthy of being a vet at this point!?
Congrats to class of ‘28!
Hi! I was offered an alternate position this year by western. Applied to 12 schools this cycle (1st application cycle, 8 rejections, 1 acceptance, 3 alternate spots. 3.77 overall GOA, 3.78 science GPA, 4.0 last 45 GPA for reference). It is possible to get in on your first cycle but I think it has gotten much harder the past couple of cycles since many vet schools have gotten rid of the GRE requirement recently which has caused an uptick of applicants to all schools overall. Applicants have become more and more competitive so even though you are a well-rounded, experienced applicant, there is always going to be someone who is just going to be that and /more/ somehow. Getting rejection letters sucks and is heartbreaking, but I promise you are worthy of being a vet. The process is so draining and feels like you’re putting your entire life on hold just for the possibility of getting to the next step of putting your life on hold for another 4 years while you’re going through school to finally get where you are. You will get there! We’re rooting for you for a spot in the class of 2029 🙂
ochementhusiast
New Member
IS acceptance! Will be accepting the seat. First time applicant, happy to share my experience with you all!
OOS acceptance but I have declined my seat in favor of UPenn!
I am interested in mixed practice; specifically equine and companion animal medicine!Do you mind sharing your interests like small animals or large, etc?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think so. It looks like last year and the year before they made it around March 10th.Do you guys know if there's a fb group for our class yet?
doglover5543
Full Member
Does anyone know how to properly send fall transcripts-what site to use? Is it just sent to the Western University of Health Sciences? Is there a specific way to send it to the vet school? Has anyone done this yet?
hopefullyfuturedogtor
Full Member
I used Parchment website and input Western University via mail and couple days after my application updated it that my transcript was receivedDoes anyone know how to properly send fall transcripts-what site to use? Is it just sent to the Western University of Health Sciences? Is there a specific way to send it to the vet school? Has anyone done this yet?
doglover5543
Full Member
Did you specify to send it to vet school admissions or just western?I used Parchment website and input Western University via mail and couple days after my application updated it that my transcript was received
hopefullyfuturedogtor
Full Member
They only have the general western I believeDid you specify to send it to vet school admissions or just western?
Following up with this! Or like a discord or something ?Do you guys know if there's a fb group for our class yet?
bluemoonie444
New Member
2nd time applying, got a status update email but it was empty so i've reached out to admins & waiting for a response.. I saw a "Scholarship Opportunity Application" section on my page, should I be hopeful that I got in? I dont think/remember seeing it on my status page last cycle.
No this has been on my application portal for a bit and I remember it last cycle too. It was added somewhat recently maybe a month or so, I would assume when they open the scholarship application. And I was put on the alternate list!2nd time applying, got a status update email but it was empty so i've reached out to admins & waiting for a response.. I saw a "Scholarship Opportunity Application" section on my page, should I be hopeful that I got in? I dont think/remember seeing it on my status page last cycle.
Is it usually formally started by a faculty or current student? If not, happy to just start one myself. Would love have a place with others and just chat 🙂Following up with this! Or like a discord or something ?
ochementhusiast
New Member
Just curious to see has anybody started applying for financial aid/ student loans yet? I’m a little overwhelmed by my midterms right now and haven’t had a chance to check on those yet, does anyone know when is the deadline?
IS accepted but I am most likely (like 99% sure) going to turn down my seat
rhinolovergirl
Full Member
Congratulations!! Did your portal just get updated today?IS accepted but I am most likely (like 99% sure) going to turn down my seat
No I was accepted originally I just needed time to think about my decisionsCongratulations!! Did your portal just get updated today?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rhinolovergirl
Full Member
Oh okay, thank you for responding 🙂No I was accepted originally I just needed time to think about my decisions
doglover5543
Full Member
are there any facebook or group me groups made yet? would love to connect with people!
I just turned down my seat. I hope some of you get good news soon!
Fingers crossed 🤞🏽 they start giving good news this week to us alternates!
where did you decide to head instead? Congrats!!!!Just rejected my seat! Hope it helps one of you on the waitlist! Best of luck!
tillycat421
Full Member
declined my oos seat. good luck to those moving foward
Melanie Caldera
Full Member
Declined my IS seat. Good luck to everyone! I hope you hear great news! ❤️
where did you decide to head instead? Congrats!!!!
Thank you! Royal veterinary or university of Arizona!
Seems like there's a fb page for c/o 28 if you guys want to join!
Log into Facebook
Log into Facebook
I’m so beyond excited! Just got pulled from the waitlist! I’m hoping for great new s for the rest of you!
I’m so insanely honored to say i was taken off the waitlist yesterday. After 4 years I have finally been accepted! I was also accepted to LMU off the waitlist earlier last night so I might be giving up my spot here. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear! Never give up!
thisisruff
New Member
Not sure if this was asked earlier but do we know roughly how many people are on the waitlist?
Jiverrelle317
LMU CVM c/o 2029 Silver
I got accepted off the waitlist and will be turning down my spot for LMU... Hopefully someone gets good news soon!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rhinolovergirl
Full Member
For those that got off the waitlist, congratulations!!! Did you just receive an email with a status update similar to the initial decisions?
doglover5543
Full Member
I will be declining my acceptance ! hope one of you gets off the waitlist !
For those that got off the waitlist, congratulations!!! Did you just receive an email with a status update similar to the initial decisions?
Yes. I received an email that my status was updated
I just turned down my offer.. I hope one of you guys gets that great news shortly! It was a super tough decision, going from no acceptances last year to two this year. No one talks about that feeling of getting in somewhere but having to decline the offer because you get to go elsewhere. It feels so wrong, declining something I've waited so long for- even though I accepted at a different school and am still going to vet school.