This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Premedlife92

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chemistry Major
BCM Gpa 3.59
AO GPA: 3.88
I haven't taken the MCAT but what would be a good score for such GPA? I have one more year before I apply to medical school and I'm hoping to raise both GPA's by then.
I have over +200 Hrs of volunteer work
+3 Years of research ( working on my 3rd research)
Leadership experience within the last 4 yrs: Event coordination (3-month long project ), Worked as a Math and Chemistry Tutor ( 8 months), Youth Mentor ( Not many hrs but have been there for 4-5 months ), Research Assistant for 3 months and still present, hoping to TA soon! If you have any ideas for leadership experience please share.

With the information given do I have any chance of getting into an MD Program? What about MD/ Ph.D.?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No mcat, can’t chance. Don’t need the long history or explanations either. Just give a BCPM gpa, composite GPA, and MCAT.

To be competitive for MD/PHD be good or excellent in at least 2/4 of these categories:

Category: Ok, Good, Excellent

GPA: 3.3, 3.6, 3.8
MCAT: 510-514, 515-519, 520+
Research: 1 year, 1.5 years, 2+ years
Publications: 0, 0, >0
 
first semester GPA at a university is 3.48 ( all upper division chemistry and cell bio (12 credits)
What upper division chem courses? Im not seeing any mention of Pchem or AChem. Unfortunately, i think its tough to sell 12 credits as a heavy course load.

planning to take fewer classes so that I can perform better. Note that I took Ochem, Physics, and calculus together
This can backfire, adcoms do take note that of a student getting good grades 1 class at a time vs taking multiple BCPM classes

I admire your passion, and think you will do just fine getting into an MD program. Just focus on killing the MCAT, anything less than a 506 on your first try could be death sentence, and you ideally want a 512+ on your first try to be comfortable for MD programs. I would also recommend looking into DO if things dont turn out the way you expect. Unfortunately, I would say do not be disappointed if you can't get into a MD/PhD program.