This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedlife92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chemistry Major
BCM Gpa 3.59
AO GPA: 3.88
I haven't taken the MCAT but what would be a good score for such GPA? I have one more year before I apply to medical school and I'm hoping to raise both GPA's by then.
I have over +200 Hrs of volunteer work
+3 Years of research ( working on my 3rd research)
Leadership experience within the last 4 yrs: Event coordination (3-month long project ), Worked as a Math and Chemistry Tutor ( 8 months), Youth Mentor ( Not many hrs but have been there for 4-5 months ), Research Assistant for 3 months and still present, hoping to TA soon! If you have any ideas for leadership experience please share.

With the information given do I have any chance of getting into an MD Program? What about MD/ Ph.D.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD yes definitely, MD/PhD I don’t know.

Try the “what are my chances” forum for some better tuned advice.

Zero chance without an MCAT score. Everyone plands on doing very well on their mcat. Come back with a score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No mcat, can’t chance. Don’t need the long history or explanations either. Just give a BCPM gpa, composite GPA, and MCAT.

To be competitive for MD/PHD be good or excellent in at least 2/4 of these categories:

Category: Ok, Good, Excellent

GPA: 3.3, 3.6, 3.8
MCAT: 510-514, 515-519, 520+
Research: 1 year, 1.5 years, 2+ years
Publications: 0, 0, >0

Reactions: 1 user
0% if you write your essays without paragraphs like this.

jk

(srs)

Reactions: 1 users
first semester GPA at a university is 3.48 ( all upper division chemistry and cell bio (12 credits)
What upper division chem courses? Im not seeing any mention of Pchem or AChem. Unfortunately, i think its tough to sell 12 credits as a heavy course load.

planning to take fewer classes so that I can perform better. Note that I took Ochem, Physics, and calculus together
This can backfire, adcoms do take note that of a student getting good grades 1 class at a time vs taking multiple BCPM classes

I admire your passion, and think you will do just fine getting into an MD program. Just focus on killing the MCAT, anything less than a 506 on your first try could be death sentence, and you ideally want a 512+ on your first try to be comfortable for MD programs. I would also recommend looking into DO if things dont turn out the way you expect. Unfortunately, I would say do not be disappointed if you can't get into a MD/PhD program.