This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeezfan2012

COMP-NW Class of 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how good my chances are based on my GPA, hypothetical MCAT score, and extracurriculars. Also is there anything else I can add to my resume, or do to increase my competitiveness? (white male, age 25)

By the time I apply I will have:
~10 months volunteering in a lab (2+ hours per week)
1 year research for credits (12 hours per week) (potential publications - unknown atm)
1.5 years as an ER medical scribe (~20 hours per week)
1 year TA experience in physics and physiology
BS in biology (Summa cum laude SBU) - 3.6 Overall GPA (from all schools), ~3.98 sGPA (A- in calc I)
-> ~3.95 overall GPA SBU
-> Uptrend from 3.3 Overall at a CC, BA in business administration
(complete). (all my poor grades are in business electives)
-> 3.98 GPA over the past 3-4 academic years (deans list every year)
-> Golden key honor society member
-> 6 months training on a TEM
1 year non-clinical volunteering (fitness for kids program, I used to be a nationally certified personal trainer)(4 hours per week) (plus other gigs spread out over the past few years)
President and member of a club for 1 year, co-founder of a cookbook which was sold to help kids in need + volunteering activities
Projected MCAT score ~510-514 (Taking soon)

LORs: Bio professor whom I ran a club with, Physics professor whom I TA'd for, Comittee letter from SBU, 1 DO LOR, 2 MD LORs, 1 non-science LOR, research PI LOR. (my school picks the most beneficial ones to use when making my application packet)

Target schools - All NY schools (MD and DO, NY resident)
Top choices - Albany, SBU, Hofstra, Albert Einstein, NYIT
Open to out of state schools if anyone has any recommendations?

What are my chances if I hit my projected MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Projected MCAT score means nothing. Report back when you get the score, and post on the WAMC sub-board within pre-medical MD. Here's a link to it: What Are My Chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks great. For your target/reach schools your GPA will definitely get you a lot of looks but you may need to do a lil better than 514 for somewhere like Albert Einstein (not much but lower than 512 would not have as good a chance).
Truly, the only thing that you could have done differently is that 'wow' factor but thats not something you can just rack up hours for a few months out. Im talking about "You mean he has a 3.98, a business AA, a 514......and he's also double majoring with Chinese 0.o, I wanna interview him!"

Edit: Albert Einstein has a median accepted MCAT of 515 and a 25th for accepted of 513 so you should do fine if you're on the upper end of the range you gave