MD What can I do to stop cheating in Med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I get what you're talking about. I've seen this situation in my home country as well. However, I still don't think you have the power to change this incredibly corrupt system. Much easier for the schools to just kick you out, and if they're as corrupt as you say they are, they just might do that.
You're right about that, sir.

Members don't see this ad.

As has already been said, I'm not condoning cheating; I'm simply saying your people dying excuse is nonsense.
It's not nonsense and it's very obvious that you are fine with cheating, so that's it. I'm not interested in continuing this conversation with you, because it would be like talking with a cheater, and cheaters just don't understand arguments well.

Honestly even if this is true, it's still not your job to police them. The USMLE and clinical years will weed them out, and if they still remain they're qualified to be doctors.
This is a counter-argument that actually has some logic in it. Well said.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I get the sense of professional duty and the wish not to be out-competed by people who aren't playing by the rules.

But like others have said, maybe mind your own business. Keep your own nose clean, do your own work, and if anyone offers to help you cheat, make it clear to them that you aren't interested and move on with your life.

I truly don't care how others get their work done. Like others have said, the boards will sort them out, and so will the wards, for that matter. There is no cheating in real life and your attendings will know the difference. I do run into problems where people will invite me to participate in things that I'm not comfortable with, like exchanging answers for online quizzes or whatever. Even when they are makework nonsense, I really prefer to muddle through them on my own and not have anyone provide shortcuts / question banks / whatever. I also pay for the medical education materials that I use, including paying for my own subscriptions to Sketchy, Pathoma, whatevs. Someone has to pay Online Med Ed so that they can afford to keep making the awesome videos for us all. I could run around tattling on all the people who are pirating the materials, but seriously, who would that help? This isn't kindergarten. These folks aren't missing an opportunity to learn to be better. If they are this amoral now, telling on them isn't going to fix them. It isn't going to weed them out. No one will give you a prize for doing your civic duty.

At some point, you have to draw a line where you decide that you are going to do what is right, even if it means that you shoulder an unfair share of the burden and face greater risks than people who are doing the wrong thing. If doing the right thing were the easier, cheaper, faster thing, then everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be a virtue. You have to decide to do it even though others won't and will get away with it and have some unfair advantages in the short term.

You still win in the long term. Your integrity will shine through, and you will get to be the kind of person who didn't cheat and didn't steal and still got through the super hard med school adventure. They will have to live with being the kind of people whose morals stopped mattering to them when they became a little inconvenient.
Thanks for this long and thoughtful answer.
I can sense a bit of sarcasm in the end, but that's alright, perhaps I came off as a bit arrogant also, so it's fine :D
But really great ideas !

Thanks for this long and thoughtful answer.
I can sense a bit of sarcasm in the end, but that's alright, perhaps I came off as a bit arrogant also, so it's fine :D
But really great ideas !

Sorry, if there was sarcasm it wasn't intended. Sometimes I don't convey well through text, and plain speaking can be read as more tongue in cheek than was meant.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1 will level the playing field, just worry about learning the material well. Also, change your attitude a bit, it's unlikely that the colleagues you bash will want to be around you during residency.

Also, change your attitude a bit, it's unlikely that the colleagues you bash will want to be around you during residency.
You'd be surprised how good of an actor I am.

Yes, I have an attitude ( and not an attitude problem ), but I'm not stupid.
I know people don't like when truth is said to their face, so I don't do it.
It's a piece of cake to get along with people in real life once you understand what they like and what they dislike and I'm a good player at this game.

You'd be surprised how good of an actor I am.

Yes, I have an attitude ( and not an attitude problem ), but I'm not stupid.
I know people don't like when truth is said to their face, so I don't do it.
It's a piece of cake to get along with people in real life once you understand what they like and what they dislike and I'm a good player at this game.
You'd be surprised at how easily people can pick up on your bull****. The vibe you get from people always comes out eventually, no matter how well you fake it. The one I'm getting from you is appalling.

Reactions: 1 users
Another thing to be grateful for.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I'm actually kind of enjoying these troll threads

Is your medical school in Russia by any chance?

Does your school not use a locked browser program for you to take your tests? My school requires us to take tests through a program that wont let us access the internet or close out of the window without submitting the test. if you close the window, you cant get back in. We also cant bring in anything to the room where we take tests other than laptop, charger and pen. no hats, hoodies, water bottles etc. and we have like 6 faculty that walk around the room during the entire test. you can only use the foam ear plugs that are given to us on exam day. cant bring in your own or use ear buds. On top of that, honor code. It is literally impossible to cheat during a test here. I have a hard time believing my school is the only one that does this.

No one said this, but: you could use all this tension that you've built up to ace your exams, become a great doctor and then when you will be supervising other students during exams, you can kick out from the exam any of those cheaters.

It's a bit aggressive to call people who share subscription materials "amoral" and lump them into the same category as someone who would cheat on an exam. Some of us simply couldn't afford them otherwise and these types of resources are so important and valuable for doing well in medical school and on boards. Personally I think schools should cover the cost (I know some already do cover subscriptions to Pathoma or Sketchy) and hope that in the future more will.
Bull**** you can't afford them.

Yes, in my Med school 80% of students cheat on exams, this is caused by 2 things:
1. The cameras aren't turned on most times ( when they are, no one watches them anyway )
2. The professors who are supervising us during exams close their eyes whenever they see people cheating, so obviously most people cheat.

I will not say which Med school I'm attending, for obvious reasons, so please don't ask.

I want to know this: what can I do to stop this ?

For those wondering why I don't "mind my business":
1. This is my business also.
2. As a student who learns for real, I've had enough of all the arrogant, disrespectful schoolmates who pass their exams by cheating. If these people at least would have a bit of social skills, respect or humanity in themselves, I wouldn't even mind that they cheat on exams, but they don't have these traits, what they have is arrogance and a blatant disrespect toward people in general.
It's a disgrace what's going on here and I just don't think that this is a place for future doctors. Somehow this cheating system has to be eliminated.

Just turn yourself in.

Prison should rehab you. And gents like Buck and Biff love a little midnight cuddle.