What is the best response for a question like this....

Started by ImAVet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ImAVet

Mizzou c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have an interview at Mizzou on the 9th of January. I have begun preparing for my interview by reviewing questions in the "Interview Feedback" section. One question was "Why is your GPA so high and your GRE so low?"

My GPA is average and my GRE are LOW. I took an in-class Kaplan Course and still did not succeed. (From May-June/July). It could be because I barely had time to study as I was doing two internships, working 20 hours and volunteering at a farm from April-August. Prior to the internships and volunteering I had only small animal experience. I was honestly not aware that just having small animal experience wasn't enough or good enough (atleast when I spoke to the Admissions counselor from Tufts Fall 2014). After that talk, I immediately went searching to recruit more diverse experience.

So my question is, if I were to be asked the question above (Why are your GRE so low?), how do you think I should reply? I am not looking for an exact answer to memorize and blur out in the interview. I am looking for tips and advice on how I could go about answering this question in a way where I can justify why they are so low but will not hurt my chances in getting accepted?

Thank you!!!
 
So I have an interview at Mizzou on the 9th of January. I have begun preparing for my interview by reviewing questions in the "Interview Feedback" section. One question was "Why is your GPA so high and your GRE so low?"

My GPA is average and my GRE are LOW. I took an in-class Kaplan Course and still did not succeed. (From May-June/July). It could be because I barely had time to study as I was doing two internships, working 20 hours and volunteering at a farm from April-August. Prior to the internships and volunteering I had only small animal experience. I was honestly not aware that just having small animal experience wasn't enough or good enough (atleast when I spoke to the Admissions counselor from Tufts Fall 2014). After that talk, I immediately went searching to recruit more diverse experience.

So my question is, if I were to be asked the question above (Why are your GRE so low?), how do you think I should reply? I am not looking for an exact answer to memorize and blur out in the interview. I am looking for tips and advice on how I could go about answering this question in a way where I can justify why they are so low but will not hurt my chances in getting accepted?

Thank you!!!

This is a self assessment type question. There is no right answer. The best response is an honest one in which you can truthfully address your strengths and weaknesses. IMO, the adcom isn't look for a clear justification for why your GRE scores are low (there are many legitimate reasons including time commitments like you mentioned) but for an ability to fairly and objectively assess yourself and your performance. I think it might also be an opportunity to address how you deal with grades below your expectations, of which there will be many in vet school. If I was asked this question, I would actually be excited because it is an opportunity for you to showcase your maturity. Always turn a negative into a positive.

Hope that helps! Good luck and congrats on your interview :luck:
 
So I have an interview at Mizzou on the 9th of January. I have begun preparing for my interview by reviewing questions in the "Interview Feedback" section. One question was "Why is your GPA so high and your GRE so low?"

My GPA is average and my GRE are LOW. I took an in-class Kaplan Course and still did not succeed. (From May-June/July). It could be because I barely had time to study as I was doing two internships, working 20 hours and volunteering at a farm from April-August. Prior to the internships and volunteering I had only small animal experience. I was honestly not aware that just having small animal experience wasn't enough or good enough (atleast when I spoke to the Admissions counselor from Tufts Fall 2014). After that talk, I immediately went searching to recruit more diverse experience.

So my question is, if I were to be asked the question above (Why are your GRE so low?), how do you think I should reply? I am not looking for an exact answer to memorize and blur out in the interview. I am looking for tips and advice on how I could go about answering this question in a way where I can justify why they are so low but will not hurt my chances in getting accepted?

Thank you!!!

If you want to use this answer, just be careful that it doesn't come across as making excuses. Bottom line: you made internships, work and volunteering priorities above your GRE. Considering the GRE is of such low importance for so many schools, I don't necessarily blame you. But they may ask you why you didn't take it again to improve your score, or manage your time better. Like the above comment mentions, find a way to make it more of a positive than focusing on a bad score.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you both for your responses! They have honestly helped me out!!! 🙂 I will be prepared for this question 🙂
 
How low were your GRE scores that you would worry about fielding such a question from an interviewer? Under 50th percentile? Lower?
 
So I have an interview at Mizzou on the 9th of January. I have begun preparing for my interview by reviewing questions in the "Interview Feedback" section. One question was "Why is your GPA so high and your GRE so low?"

My GPA is average and my GRE are LOW. I took an in-class Kaplan Course and still did not succeed. (From May-June/July). It could be because I barely had time to study as I was doing two internships, working 20 hours and volunteering at a farm from April-August. Prior to the internships and volunteering I had only small animal experience. I was honestly not aware that just having small animal experience wasn't enough or good enough (atleast when I spoke to the Admissions counselor from Tufts Fall 2014). After that talk, I immediately went searching to recruit more diverse experience.

So my question is, if I were to be asked the question above (Why are your GRE so low?), how do you think I should reply? I am not looking for an exact answer to memorize and blur out in the interview. I am looking for tips and advice on how I could go about answering this question in a way where I can justify why they are so low but will not hurt my chances in getting accepted?

Thank you!!!

So why WAS your score low? You said "it could be ...." which makes it sound like you aren't even sure. If you don't know, then you won't be able to give a good answer.

Couple rules for answering:

1) Be honest. That doesn't mean revealing everything, but whatever you do say needs to be honest.

2) Try and use every question as a chance to sell yourself.

3) When talking about your weaknesses, you need to make it positive by commenting on strategies you use to manage them. Bad test taker? Ok, have you done anything to improve your studying? (Yes - the in-class Kaplan Course.) Talked to the right people about needing accommodations? Taken practice tests? Repeated the test (sounds like you did!). Or have you just plodded on not doing anything to change it... Difficulty studying? Have you tried different approaches? Solo, group? Different locations? Taking notes vs studying aloud? Changing the time investment/frequency? Or just kept on doing the same old same old.... Etc.

One of the things interviewers want to see is self-awareness. And when it comes to weaknesses, everyone has them. So it's not "are you weak in a certain area," it's "do you recognize your weaknesses, how do they effect your overall ability to function, and what do you do to manage them?"

I'm not an admissions person, but I'm betting they get tired of hearing how someone's busy schedule caused them to do poorly on the GRE or in some academic class or whatever. Vet school is pretty darn busy. So if your justification is "I had a lot going on with my internships, working, and gathering experience" ... that's really more of a red flag than anything because the first thing they're going to think is "So can this person handle the load of vet school, then??"
 
So why WAS your score low? You said "it could be ...." which makes it sound like you aren't even sure. If you don't know, then you won't be able to give a good answer.

Couple rules for answering:

1) Be honest. That doesn't mean revealing everything, but whatever you do say needs to be honest.

2) Try and use every question as a chance to sell yourself.

3) When talking about your weaknesses, you need to make it positive by commenting on strategies you use to manage them. Bad test taker? Ok, have you done anything to improve your studying? (Yes - the in-class Kaplan Course.) Talked to the right people about needing accommodations? Taken practice tests? Repeated the test (sounds like you did!). Or have you just plodded on not doing anything to change it... Difficulty studying? Have you tried different approaches? Solo, group? Different locations? Taking notes vs studying aloud? Changing the time investment/frequency? Or just kept on doing the same old same old.... Etc.

One of the things interviewers want to see is self-awareness. And when it comes to weaknesses, everyone has them. So it's not "are you weak in a certain area," it's "do you recognize your weaknesses, how do they effect your overall ability to function, and what do you do to manage them?"

I'm not an admissions person, but I'm betting they get tired of hearing how someone's busy schedule caused them to do poorly on the GRE or in some academic class or whatever. Vet school is pretty darn busy. So if your justification is "I had a lot going on with my internships, working, and gathering experience" ... that's really more of a red flag than anything because the first thing they're going to think is "So can this person handle the load of vet school, then??"
Thank you SO much for this. This is super helpful. Quite frankly I am a bad test taker when it comes down to standardized tests. I took the SATs 3 times and did poorly each time. Having that experience I KNEW the GRE was going to be a challenge for me which is why I chose to enroll myself in an in-class Kaplan course. Although I was either working, interning and volunteering 7 days a week, I never missed class. I reached out to my professor multiple times and studied with a girl I met there. She even gave me outside sources to use as well, such as Magoosh, which I used. I took all the advice I was given. When I took it the first time I refused to lose hope. I reached out to my Kaplan teacher again, and he gave me more advice. I did take practice tests, and used GRE apps on my phone during my breaks and even on my train rides. When I took it the second time I did the exact same. I only improved on my writing. Maybe I just did not have the time to find the exact study method that would have worked for me the best? I even wanted to take it a third time but my advisor told me it's frowned upon when schools see applicants taking the GRE more than twice and not doing much better.
 
I took the GRE twice. The first time right out of undergrad 2 years ago. My scores were horrible. I took it again this september but only did marginably better. I, too, am horrible at standardized testing. My math score is low because the last time I took a math class was the semester I dropped out of computer science (5 years ago). Honesty is the best thing, but also make sure you respond with an answer that says you are more than your GRE score.
 
Oh. One other piece of advice that I forgot to add. And that probably won't be much help because human nature is what it is.

Don't focus too much on this issue. You need to go into your interview(s) feeling positive about yourself and focused on all the positive qualities you bring to the table. Remind yourself everyone brings a few negatives - it is truly no big deal that you struggle(d) with this one area. You have to handle the "tell me about your weakness" kind of questions, like the one you raised, but be even more prepared to talk appropriately about all your strengths. Smile. Confidence. Be a friendly human being. Show some interest in the school. Don't be focused on dreading "this one question" because it's just one question out of many.

K? You can do it.
 
Last edited: