What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What do you guys think about the ideapad by lenovo instead of the thinkpad?


You have to remember that the Thinkpad line was owned by IBM, which recently sold it to Lenovo

IBM is what made thinkpads so great, and lenovo is carrying on that tradition

however, when lenovo starts coming up with their own stuff, not originally enginneered by IBM, i tend to question it's quality....there is a reason why they are cheaper....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have to remember that the Thinkpad line was owned by IBM, which recently sold it to Lenovo

IBM is what made thinkpads so great, and lenovo is carrying on that tradition

however, when lenovo starts coming up with their own stuff, not originally enginneered by IBM, i tend to question it's quality....there is a reason why they are cheaper....


also keep in mind when Thinkpads were owned by IBM..they were 10x better than they are now...

With lenovo taking over, random "cheapness" can be seen about the thinkpad..such as plastic parts in palm rests, etc.

before it was like a freaking tank

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw78gcU713g[/YOUTUBE]
 
Lenovos aside... does anybody know any coupon codes for the sony vaio-cr (14.1") series (apart from clearance and refurbished discounts)? I was also planing on buying a sony cyber-shot digital camera. I can't seem to find any bundle discounts. I figured they'd have some. As far as other discounts, I saw somewhere where they say 'free shipping on tues-thurs'-- but it doesn't have any coupon codes-- it just directs me to the sony style website. Will it work?


Update: Fry's dropped the price on NR160E/W laptop to $550 + S/H
Frys has a clearance sale on a few models of Sony Vaio business series laptops. Shipping starts at $8 and depends on your location. Thanks TioGrande
Available models (before shipping):
Vaio NR160E/W $558 [manufacturer's page]. Lowest on PriceGrabber is $799
  • Core 2 Duo Dual-Core T5250 Processor 1.5 GHz
  • 1GB DDR2 Memory
  • 160GB Hard Drive
  • DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Intel X3100 video card
  • Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g/ wireless card
  • 3x USB ports
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 15.4" Xbrite-Eco Widescreen LCD (1280x800)
Vaio NR180E/T $580 [manufacturer's page]. Lowest on PriceGrabber is $805
  • Core 2 Duo Dual-Core T5250 Processor 1.5 GHz
  • 1GB DDR2 Memory
  • 200GB Hard Drive
  • DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Intel X3100 video card
  • Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g/ wireless card
  • 3x USB ports
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 15.4" Xbrite-Eco Widescreen LCD (1280x800)
Vaio NR-285E $650 [manufacturer's page]. Lowest on PriceGrabber is $798
  • Core 2 Duo Dual-Core T5450 Processor 1.66 GHz
  • 2GB DDR2 Memory
  • 200GB Hard Drive
  • DVD+/-RW Drive
  • Intel X3100 video card
  • Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g/ wireless card
  • 4x USB ports
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 15.4" Xbrite-Eco Widescreen LCD (1280x800)
 
Hey Sync, Vista Ult doesn't have any of the MS Office Suite included, does it? For example, since I obviously want OneNote/Outlook, would I need to go with an MS Office package, and if so, where's the best deal?
 
Hey Sync, Vista Ult doesn't have any of the MS Office Suite included, does it? For example, since I obviously want OneNote/Outlook, would I need to go with an MS Office package, and if so, where's the best deal?


Nope..the MS office suite is a whole different program on top of your vista OS

the best deal for office is listed soemwhere in this thread, i belive someone asked and i provided the url, sorry i cant find it now
 
MacBooks are the way to go in medical school. Windows machines suck, especially with Vista. All you really need in med school is Office, that runs on Mac.
 
MacBooks are the way to go in medical school. Windows machines suck, especially with Vista. All you really need in med school is Office, that runs on Mac.


so you pay $1000 more for a machine you'll barely use?
 
also keep in mind when Thinkpads were owned by IBM..they were 10x better than they are now...

With lenovo taking over, random "cheapness" can be seen about the thinkpad..such as plastic parts in palm rests, etc.

before it was like a freaking tank

Don't forget the hardware, built in Chinese spyware!! No joke, there's a reason why the government will not allow them inside any secure facility and why you can loose your security clearance if you even OWN one (ok..maybe not if you own one...but if you let any secure data get onto one...)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't forget the hardware, built in Chinese spyware!! No joke, there's a reason why the government will not allow them inside any secure facility and why you can loose your security clearance if you even OWN one (ok..maybe not if you own one...but if you let any secure data get onto one...)


A conspiracy theorist, huh? 😛

I know that the DuPage County State's Attorney's office all use thinkpads by lenovo
 
anyone have experience w the lenovo ideapads?


Are they even out yet? They look nice to be honest, but I'll stick to their Thinkpads. If fact, for any company, I'll stick to their business lines. I don't think I'll ever buy a consumer model again.
 
Why don't you look underneath the hood of any Notebook even good old Dells are made in China. I think it was in the early 1990s they were made in the Good Old USA.

Honestly, the Apple is the way to go, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are head and shoulders better than PCs.
 
Why don't you look underneath the hood of any Notebook even good old Dells are made in China. I think it was in the early 1990s they were made in the Good Old USA.

Honestly, the Apple is the way to go, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are head and shoulders better than PCs.

If we were applying for a graphic arts school or a video editing school, this thread would be all about macs

yes macs are nice, but are they more useful than pc's for MS office and internet? I would doubt it
 
those of you that have ordered from Lenovo: how long does it typically take to go from in-process to shipped? Also, did you receive a tracking number from Lenovo when shipped? Thanks
 
those of you that have ordered from Lenovo: how long does it typically take to go from in-process to shipped? Also, did you receive a tracking number from Lenovo when shipped? Thanks

it took me 8 days from the day i ordered to the day it showed up on my doorstep

Yes, tracking # is posted 1 day after it ships
 
Syncope, what tablets are we getting again and can you post a link so I can check them out? Thanks future classmate 😀
 
Honestly if you want a PC based system, Toshiba is the best vendor out there. I bought a Dell 2 years ago and the latch broke, I returned it and they charged me a restocking fee. They dragged their feet in getting me an RMA number. I will never buy a Dell Laptop again, sad, they used to be my favorite company for Laptops and PCs. Although their desktops are still one of the best. That's another idea, buy a powerful desktop for video games at home, and a cheapo laptop for school. All most people use laptops for are surfing the net and MS Office. Thats why my basic Macbook gets the job done.
 
Uhm...im not sure if that has still been decided yet 😕

Future classmate😀

Ah, ok. I thought they almost decided. Regardless, you're going to have to give me a lesson during orientation. I've been using a Mac for the past 3 years so I'm pretty clueless! 😉
 
Ah, ok. I thought they almost decided. Regardless, you're going to have to give me a lesson during orientation. I've been using a Mac for the past 3 years so I'm pretty clueless! 😉

no problem!

My first computer was an apple, but once I right clicked, I couldn't go back 😛
 
considering all we're going to be doing is surfing the net and minor typing, i'm honestly considering getting the linux Eee PC 900.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got the Lenovo T61 yesterday before the deal ended. I just couldn't miss out on the 630 dollars worth of savings with CPP. 🙂
 
I just got the Lenovo T61 yesterday before the deal ended. I just couldn't miss out on the 630 dollars worth of savings with CPP. 🙂

Hey, if you don't mind sharing, what was your investment and your build? Would appreciate it...
 
My wife has always had a thinkpad and they are very reliable, even the lenovo branded ones, lenovo has been building the thinkpads well before they purchased the brand from IBM so the thinkpads are built just as good as ever.

I've been thinking about getting the x61 tablet but there may be a newer tablet thinkpad in the works, which I'm debating on waiting for. My concern would be how critical the laptop is when school starts in August, in case the pc isn't realized until August or September.
 
My wife has always had a thinkpad and they are very reliable, even the lenovo branded ones, lenovo has been building the thinkpads well before they purchased the brand from IBM so the thinkpads are built just as good as ever.

I've been thinking about getting the x61 tablet but there may be a newer tablet thinkpad in the works, which I'm debating on waiting for. My concern would be how critical the laptop is when school starts in August, in case the pc isn't realized until August or September.


Depends on the school. Some schools require a laptop because all their notes and stuff are distributed electronically. You can get by, however, at some schools just using their on-campus machines or your home desktop.

What school are you going to go to? Someone who goes there can then give you a better answer.
 
Hey, if you don't mind sharing, what was your investment and your build? Would appreciate it...

Lenovo T61
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)1
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium12
15.4 WXGA TFT
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)8
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim5
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG10
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery60
6459: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty7
+ Mogo Mouse

Paid $1140 (orig. priced: $1800)
 
I'm getting a dell from their business class, I made sure it didn't have vista because I really dislike it. Everyone I know that got a computer from their business class had really good luck w/ them, I hope I do too!!
 
can someone explain the difference b/w 1 DIMM and 2 DIMM RAM, and which is better for future upgrades and price?
 
Basically you have 2 slots for ram. EX. if you have 2gb ram, you can chose 2 dimm and have one 1gb on each slot. if you want one then you can chose to have 2gb in one slot and another slot empty. You can add ram in the one slot in future, and have more ram. So one 1 dimm is better if you want to hook you computer up in the future. if you not going to do it then it is pointless.



I am thinking about getting the dell xps 1530, anybody have nay experience with an xps?
 
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that thing doesn't have a CD/DVD drive....and it's expensive to get one. You have to buy the "mobile media base" for $200 and the drive itself for $70-140.

I picked up an HP external drive for $80. It is not the type of thing I would want to lug around, but also not the type of thing I really need to use all that often
 
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that thing doesn't have a CD/DVD drive....and it's expensive to get one. You have to buy the "mobile media base" for $200 and the drive itself for $70-140.

you are right....it is common knowledge that the x61 does not have an optical drive
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I finally made my mind up to purchase the new dell xps. It looks amazing, thin, light, brushed metal, everything is laid out great, has all the features I want, and is rated in the top 5 labtops through CNET.

Dell - XPS M1530 T5450 Laptop -
Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T5450; 2GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 15.4" widescreen; 160GB hard drive; fingerprint reader; built-in Web cam; Windows Vista Home Premium
$999

In this price range, should I be buying something else?
I really think Dell steped it up for a change and made a solid labtop.
 
Sync, Is there any way I can upgrade the 1GB of RAM to 2GB before ordering? What's your recommendation on the best way to do this? Seems like 2GB RAM is the way to go for Vista...

Also, if you were buying it, what accessories/add-ons would you get?

I can answer this.

Don't worry about the 1 gig of RAM. Just go to Frys and buy another stick for $30 and install it yourself. It is really easy (just look for tutorials online; lots on YouTube).

jyland, the M15 model for Dell is really popular and I've heard good things about it so I'd say go for it. Personally, I can never forgive Dell after nearly a decade of poor products and customer service (my own experiences), but I don't want my bad experiences to keep others from potentially getting some good out of them.

Every company is going to have their faults, and most of ya'll know what they are before buying. Just be happy with it, even if there is a bit of a ThinkPad fanclub in here 😉
 
also, I love XP, I have been using it since it came out and it is great. I know nothing about VISTA.

Does anyone recommend VISTA? Is it hard to get used to?
 
also, I love XP, I have been using it since it came out and it is great. I know nothing about VISTA.

Does anyone recommend VISTA? Is it hard to get used to?

Some love it, some hate it. You will get mixed responses here.

I, personally, love it. If you go with vista and install SP1 I don't think you'll have any problems. Just get at least 2GB RAM.