What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wow that things a monster. I knew AMD was cheaper but this is impressive.

I'm guessing you don't plan to lug this thing around too much right? As a desktop replacement, it'll probably get 30 min to 1 hour on battery and weigh around 7-9 lbs.
 
One day soon I want to buy a tablet PC. Probably an ASUS or Fujitsu, based on what reviews by people who use it like I will be. No touch screens for me tho, only WACOM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received my tablet on Thursday---

I went with Gateway's newest and greatest C-141XL(2.4gig dual core, etc) largely because of the 14" screen... Weight wasn't an issue, but it isn't a "lite" notebook =P 6 lbs?

so far i'm amazed with it-- I have used Wacom Intuos tablets for the last.... ever for my photography business, but this is on a whole new level--- It's like owning a wacom Cintiq-- On a side note- this processor dropped an hour off of my process time for the latest wedding that I processed--- truly amazing.


For those of you that don't think a 12" screen is big enough(i'm a big guy with big hands :laugh:)--- I'd suggest checking out this tablet
 
Darktide, I was curious if that Gateway tablet you just got has a LED screen or not. I saw that the new Dell tablet had an LED screen and you also compared your tablet to the Wacom Cintiq, which, after seeing a demo of, I thought was amazing.

I'm just curious about the possibility of LED screens being the next step in tablets or if an option for them is available now.

Note that even if the Dell's tablet is amazing, it's still Dell and worse yet, it's roughly 2.5k or something to that extent. We could find some coporate codes or coupons, but I don't think I'll sweat over a Dell ever again.
 
Shop today, visit our site at: www.lenovo.com/cpp

Passcode:556655 ThinkPad X61 Tablet
​

mail
mail
mail
mail

From:

Sale price:
$2,009.00*

$1,331.96*​
- Intel® Core™2 Duo processor L7500 LV
(1.60GHz) (1)
- Genuine Windows Vista® Business
- 12.1" SuperView WVA SXGA+ TFT display
(1400x1050 resolution)
- 1GB DDR2 SDRAM memory
- 80GB hard drive
- ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN
- ThinkPad X60 Tablet 4 Cell Li-Ion battery
*Wireless WAN Ready - Integrated Antenna
with no Provider Card installed
 
So I was thinking about forgoing a new laptop and instead buying a better desktop and getting Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Has anyone ever used it to annotate notes? Does it work? Any problems?
 
Darktide, I was curious if that Gateway tablet you just got has a LED screen or not. I saw that the new Dell tablet had an LED screen and you also compared your tablet to the Wacom Cintiq, which, after seeing a demo of, I thought was amazing.

I'm just curious about the possibility of LED screens being the next step in tablets or if an option for them is available now.

Note that even if the Dell's tablet is amazing, it's still Dell and worse yet, it's roughly 2.5k or something to that extent. We could find some coporate codes or coupons, but I don't think I'll sweat over a Dell ever again.


It's not an LED screen (I don't think)... but the screen quality is honestly as good as the cintiq's that I use at my firm (Intuos at home and for wedding work, cintiq for the real high-fashion, photoshop work)

I couldn't imagine using anything else for photoshop now (CS3 extended--- what a beast of a program---) Even the cintiq isn't as useful as this monster-- except for the fact that my cintiq is 21"!

As far as taking notes?--- surprisingly the microphone is REALLY good for it being incorporated into the screen- In a 500 person auditorium it was able to audibly pick up my biochem professor when he wasn't using his mic today-- and I sit in the far back =)

I've owned 5 dell computers now- and I have never had a single problem with them-(oldest is 5 years and still works great) Guess I should count myself lucky, eh? =)

Honestly, I would have gone with a the Lenovo, but the screen size, and processor forced me into the gateway-- I do too much Photoshop work to sacrifice these things~~~ Lenovo can't even come close to the 2.4gig dual core, 250gig hd, 3gig ram, etc... all for under 1k... (talk to the sales reps, they can cut you a better deal than the 1300 that is listed) I'm more than happy with this laptop---
 
darktide, if you've had good luck with Dells and have now purchased a Gateway and nothing's gone wrong with it yet.. you are indeed incredibly blessed. Go out and buy a lottery ticket IMMEDIATELY!

Seriously, you're the only person I've ever talked to that has never had a problem with Dell or gateway. Just out of curiosity, how much does the Gateway weigh?
 
darktide, if you've had good luck with Dells and have now purchased a Gateway and nothing's gone wrong with it yet.. you are indeed incredibly blessed. Go out and buy a lottery ticket IMMEDIATELY! Seriously, you're the only person I've ever talked to that has never had a problem with Dell or gateway.

😀 :laugh: 😉

Just out of curiosity, how much does the Gateway weigh?

I think he estimated around 6-ish lbs in his post.
 
Shop today, visit our site at: www.lenovo.com/cpp


Passcode:556655

Syncope, you're awesome. I've been using this passcode to windowshop at Lenovo since you first posted it.

I think I've decided I'm going to forego the tablet for a standard laptop. Just will work best with my note-taking and studying style. Right now it is between the Lenovo T61 and the Dell 1420. I've always had good luck with Dells, its HPs that don't get along with me. Dells seem to like me okay. However....no one seems to say anything bad -ever- about Lenovos. So is that probably the best way to go? Any ideas?

Both are similar in price and I can get basically the same kinds of features. I can get the Dell in bright yellow, which is cool, but realistically that is a dumb reason to choose a computer. The Lenovo is so boring looking, but I'll take a dull, functioning computer over the other type any day.
 
I think I scare Mr. Murphy away-- I build laptops and desktops- for my firm- so if something goes wrong, i can always repair it myself... though i've never had the need--

There's just no way I could get the materials to make an equiv. tablet for what I paid for this one (processor alone is $250+) this was sub $1000 before taxes... and came with a printer that, after rebaits, will give me $20.00....


New complain on the new rig though---- the corners are sharp and currently digging into my arms~~ ow


Tschüss =)
 
Syncope, you're awesome. I've been using this passcode to windowshop at Lenovo since you first posted it.

I think I've decided I'm going to forego the tablet for a standard laptop. Just will work best with my note-taking and studying style. Right now it is between the Lenovo T61 and the Dell 1420. I've always had good luck with Dells, its HPs that don't get along with me. Dells seem to like me okay. However....no one seems to say anything bad -ever- about Lenovos. So is that probably the best way to go? Any ideas?

Both are similar in price and I can get basically the same kinds of features. I can get the Dell in bright yellow, which is cool, but realistically that is a dumb reason to choose a computer. The Lenovo is so boring looking, but I'll take a dull, functioning computer over the other type any day.


Thanks...and yes ...I wish lenovo did pay me for marketing...

I also have the T61 right now and I love it...it is absolutely amazing. I would keep it if DCOM did not require tablets, but unfortunately, I will have to sell it or give it to my younger sister

In addition, I may even sell my tablet that I will receive from DCOM (probably a gateway) and buy a x61t on my own anyhow....I can't see myself with anything other than a lenovo...especially for the next 4 years...yikes!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
darktide, if you've had good luck with Dells and have now purchased a Gateway and nothing's gone wrong with it yet.. you are indeed incredibly blessed. Go out and buy a lottery ticket IMMEDIATELY!

Seriously, you're the only person I've ever talked to that has never had a problem with Dell or gateway. Just out of curiosity, how much does the Gateway weigh?

i have had 3 dell desktops in my house and not one problem with them.
 
dell used to be great before they shipped all their support overseas. now they're average.

I'd agree with that statement. Also, I've two Dell desktops and a laptop at the house.


Alright, a question for the resident Lenovo expert (Syncope82):

I was configuring my tablet series machine and worked in some extra features at little to no extra cost. However, the e-mailed quote was/is missing the turbo memory mod and the CPU. Lenovo rep assured me that the 1.8 GHz CPU is configured and that the quote just shows the shell for the construct warehouse in the quote. Furthermore, the rep stated that the turbo memory is now only available on the T Series and not the X tablet, but that could change again. Also, he stated that the turbo memory helps at boot up but with "sufficient RAM (I'm going with the the 4GB, 2 DIMM) you don't need the turbo memory anyway". See any reason for concern? I'm dropping close to 2k and want to make sure I get what the verbal quote promised...
 
Thanks...and yes ...I wish lenovo did pay me for marketing...

I also have the T61 right now and I love it...it is absolutely amazing. I would keep it if DCOM did not require tablets, but unfortunately, I will have to sell it or give it to my younger sister

In addition, I may even sell my tablet that I will receive from DCOM (probably a gateway) and buy a x61t on my own anyhow....I can't see myself with anything other than a lenovo...especially for the next 4 years...yikes!

I know this is discussed ad nauseum but would it be recommended to go with the T-series over the X-series tablet for med students? After reading a majority of the posts here and looking at those DCOM Gateway tablets, I thought it the way to go... tablet, yes?
 
I would go for x series since it is smaller, hence more portable....but a larger screen on a t series may be beneficial to you..especially if you have myopia/hyperopia

In regards to the turbo memory, I honestly think it create more problems than it is suppose to solve....there have been some reports of intel turbo memory actually making the computer slower

i have it on mine and do not notice a difference with it turned on or off...but I also have 3gb of ram though....it may only be beneficial if you have less than 1gb of ram
 
I would go for x series since it is smaller, hence more portable....but a larger screen on a t series may be beneficial to you..especially if you have myopia/hyperopia

In regards to the turbo memory, I honestly think it create more problems than it is suppose to solve....there have been some reports of intel turbo memory actually making the computer slower

i have it on mine and do not notice a difference with it turned on or off...but I also have 3gb of ram though....it may only be beneficial if you have less than 1gb of ram

Thank you for the perspective, I am looking for maxiumum portability so I'm glad you agree on the X series. I'm going to save the graphics intensive apps for my desktop and possibly a PS3. My medical workhouse will be the X series.

I came out with a quote of about $1800 from Lenovo; includes some add-ons and a few accessories. I think the price point is very good since I utilized a number of your previous recommendations.

What's the shipping looking like from Lenovo, Slim78/Syncope? I'm going to place the order on Monday and will be living at camp sites and various hotels in my very long journey to Denver in approximately 3 weeks, making it an adventure/vacation. I close on my house at the end of the month. Think that's cutting it close and should I use an alternate shipping address?

Oh - what's the word on the WAN cards? Get it with the X series with all the bloatware (is it Verizon?) or go with a WAN card from, say, my cellular provider, AT&T? There are just so many cards on the AT&T site I don't know where to start... any and all input appreciated... I'm leaning toward remote access capability via WAN because I'm not certain as to when I'll have actual land-line access in the coming months. Overly pricey service (WAN coverage) or good if hard gateway/hotspots uncertain?
 
Thank you for the perspective, I am looking for maxiumum portability so I'm glad you agree on the X series. I'm going to save the graphics intensive apps for my desktop and possibly a PS3. My medical workhouse will be the X series.

I came out with a quote of about $1800 from Lenovo; includes some add-ons and a few accessories. I think the price point is very good since I utilized a number of your previous recommendations.

What's the shipping looking like from Lenovo, Slim78/Syncope? I'm going to place the order on Monday and will be living at camp sites and various hotels in my very long journey to Denver in approximately 3 weeks, making it an adventure/vacation. I close on my house at the end of the month. Think that's cutting it close and should I use an alternate shipping address?

Oh - what's the word on the WAN cards? Get it with the X series with all the bloatware (is it Verizon?) or go with a WAN card from, say, my cellular provider, AT&T? There are just so many cards on the AT&T site I don't know where to start... any and all input appreciated... I'm leaning toward remote access capability via WAN because I'm not certain as to when I'll have actual land-line access in the coming months. Overly pricey service (WAN coverage) or good if hard gateway/hotspots uncertain?

you should have ure notebook within 2 weeks max from ordering

i would not get the wan card for that exact reason...what if you wanted verizon instead of att? it's a waste...you are better of just buying those pcmcia cards that the individual mobile services have and stick with that instead...those are usually free after rebate and it will save you some money by not getting that added on
 
you should have ure notebook within 2 weeks max from ordering

i would not get the wan card for that exact reason...what if you wanted verizon instead of att? it's a waste...you are better of just buying those pcmcia cards that the individual mobile services have and stick with that instead...those are usually free after rebate and it will save you some money by not getting that added on

Thanks!

In your experience, what do those services run monthly (average use) and which provider is best? Any ideas?
 
Thanks!

In your experience, what do those services run monthly (average use) and which provider is best? Any ideas?

sprint has it for $40 per month an that's the cheapest I know of...don't go with att or any gsm data service since their data network is a turtle compared to sprint's and verizon's EVDO-revA network (CDMA networks)

I don't have it...but I tether my treo to my notebook via bluetooth and get internet on my notebook for free! i use this when im at starbuck's etc. I kind of find it funny when people pay for hotspot wifi service when they could just be paying for a WWAN card for $40 per mo
 
sprint has it for $40 per month an that's the cheapest I know of...don't go with att or any gsm data service since their data network is a turtle compared to sprint's and verizon's EVDO-revA network (CDMA networks)

I don't have it...but I tether my treo to my notebook via bluetooth and get internet on my notebook for free! i use this when im at starbuck's etc. I kind of find it funny when people pay for hotspot wifi service when they could just be paying for a WWAN card for $40 per mo

Thanks, tell me more about your tethering... is that something worth looking into? I'm going with the integrated bluetooth on the X so would it be wise to connect that to an internet-capable phone from AT&T (my current service) since I'm going to be mobile for a period of time? Don't you pay for kbytes transmitted through the phone and doesn't that get expensive?
 
Thanks, tell me more about your tethering... is that something worth looking into? I'm going with the integrated bluetooth on the X so would it be wise to connect that to an internet-capable phone from AT&T (my current service) since I'm going to be mobile for a period of time? Don't you pay for kbytes transmitted through the phone and doesn't that get expensive?

tethering usually costs more money, for example $40 extra for verizon....but if you have sprint...there is a work around to get it for free...it's kind of complicated, but i can refer you to a thread to make it work, it has to do with disabling NAI, which won't allow sprint to figure out if the data is being used for the phone itself or if it is being used to access the internet through a laptop

for a treo's, there is a software called PDAnet that does it automatically for you and that is what i use...so I can't really help you on disabling NAI since i have no clue what that even means...and you just can't have any old phone to tether either...you would need a windows mobile device, blackberry, or the Treo platform since you have to either BT or physically connect it with a USB cable

I have unlimited data through sprint, so no need to worry about individual KB charges...that would get expensive and i wouldnt even bother otherwise
 
tethering usually costs more money, for example $40 extra for verizon....but if you have sprint...there is a work around to get it for free...it's kind of complicated, but i can refer you to a thread to make it work, it has to do with disabling NAI, which won't allow sprint to figure out if the data is being used for the phone itself or if it is being used to access the internet through a laptop

for a treo's, there is a software called PDAnet that does it automatically for you and that is what i use...so I can't really help you on disabling NAI since i have no clue what that even means...and you just can't have any old phone to tether either...you would need a windows mobile device, blackberry, or the Treo platform since you have to either BT or physically connect it with a USB cable

I have unlimited data through sprint, so no need to worry about individual KB charges...that would get expensive and i wouldnt even bother otherwise

Thanks for the info! I've been known to "tinker" a bit with electronics so this might be something interesting for me to look into provided I can find the time! 👍
 
Thanks...and yes ...I wish lenovo did pay me for marketing...

I also have the T61 right now and I love it...it is absolutely amazing. I would keep it if DCOM did not require tablets, but unfortunately, I will have to sell it or give it to my younger sister

In addition, I may even sell my tablet that I will receive from DCOM (probably a gateway) and buy a x61t on my own anyhow....I can't see myself with anything other than a lenovo...especially for the next 4 years...yikes!

DCOM will not have the Gateways next year, thought you'd like to know. And if they did have another brand of computer, why would you spend money on another one you can't use anyway, b/c they require certain software, which they install? Save yourself the money and hassle and just use what the school gives you. The point is to make life easier, not more difficult.
 
DCOM will not have the Gateways next year, thought you'd like to know. And if they did have another brand of computer, why would you spend money on another one you can't use anyway, b/c they require certain software, which they install? Save yourself the money and hassle and just use what the school gives you. The point is to make life easier, not more difficult.

very good news about the gateways :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

software? nothing I can't install myself after it has been installed on a machine in my posession. I would just have to re-register the MAC address with the school---and i would need permission from the IT guys for that...that's the only area where my madness can hit a bump in the road 😉.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
very good news about the gateways :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

software? nothing I can't install myself after it has been installed on a machine in my posession. I would just have to re-register the MAC address with the school---and i would need permission from the IT guys for that...that's the only area where my madness can hit a bump in the road 😉.

And I don't think they are going to be too willing to give that info out. Then everyone will want to have a different computer, bring their own, which will need to be upgraded, but IT won't do that b/c its not their machine, then people get pissed.....its a vicious cycle and I don't see it starting. We have a couple of students here who know their stuff when it comes to computers, and they haven't complained much about what happens here. Like I said, just use what you get...make your life easier.
 
The Lenovo's would be even better if they had a screen that was even the size of a Mac. 12.1"? You kiddin' me?

Which also means the keyboard is even smaller. yuck.

it's all a personal preference, some feel the same way about bigger notebooks

It's all about portability or performance for most people, I like the portability 😉
 
it's all a personal preference, some feel the same way about bigger notebooks

It's all about portability or performance for most people, I like the portability 😉

After reading things about the Lenovo and all, I would agree it is one of the better tablets out there. THE only thing I hate about it is the small screen. Honestly, you won't be transporting it all that much (to lecture ---> to the study rooms ---> home ---> back to lecture). A vast majority of the time, its going to be sitting on a table (8+ hours in a day), so I wouldn't mind the sacrifice of a pound for a widescreen. You will want the extra space when taking notes, etc. To me, that is the only feature the lenovo lacks, everything is very, very good. Below is a review I was sent. Overall, it is very positive about the Lenovo, but agrees with MJB and myself that the screen need to be bigger, and have a higher resolution.

Sync....I want to say thanks for all your help with the computer stuff here on the forums.

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1412.htm
 
And I don't think they are going to be too willing to give that info out. Then everyone will want to have a different computer, bring their own, which will need to be upgraded, but IT won't do that b/c its not their machine, then people get pissed.....its a vicious cycle and I don't see it starting. We have a couple of students here who know their stuff when it comes to computers, and they haven't complained much about what happens here. Like I said, just use what you get...make your life easier.

If LMU was strictly a medical school, I would doubt they would register a unauthorized MAC address on their network, however, LMU has a large undergraduate student body that also are required to bring their own computers..as a result, there must be some authorization process to register our MAC addresses with the school. I could even say that it is my backup notebook and I still need access with it...

.I could very easily clone the HD onto my thinkpad...but I'm sure I'll be sticking out like a sore thumb when I'm the only one with a thinkpad in class... it's maddness...😉

but in reality...i really don't care what notebook we get, I am sure I can get accustomed to it within a few days...I'm just used to the luxurious thinkpad I have right now...my absolute favorite feature is the keyboard...thinkpads have the softest, quietest, most smooth keyboards out there....I cant imagine typing on another keyboard....that is what really makes thinkpads reputable




After reading things about the Lenovo and all, I would agree it is one of the better tablets out there. THE only thing I hate about it is the small screen. Honestly, you won't be transporting it all that much (to lecture ---> to the study rooms ---> home ---> back to lecture). A vast majority of the time, its going to be sitting on a table (8+ hours in a day), so I wouldn't mind the sacrifice of a pound for a widescreen. You will want the extra space when taking notes, etc. To me, that is the only feature the lenovo lacks, everything is very, very good. Below is a review I was sent. Overall, it is very positive about the Lenovo, but agrees with MJB and myself that the screen need to be bigger, and have a higher resolution.

Sync....I want to say thanks for all your help with the computer stuff here on the forums.

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1412.htm

you are right..the 12 inch is what throws most peope off....but I plan on having a nice LCD monitor in my room so I can dock it back in my room and use the external monitor....but the problem with that is I would have to study in my room all day instead of the library or other places...🙁

here's a more comprehensive review http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=868
 
Lenovos aside... does anybody know any coupon codes for the sony vaio-cr (14.1") series (apart from clearance and refurbished discounts)? I was also planing on buying a sony cyber-shot digital camera. I can't seem to find any bundle discounts. I figured they'd have some. As far as other discounts, I saw somewhere where they say 'free shipping on tues-thurs'-- but it doesn't have any coupon codes-- it just directs me to the sony style website. Will it work?
 
Lenovos aside... does anybody know any coupon codes for the sony vaio-cr (14.1") series (apart from clearance and refurbished discounts)? I was also planing on buying a sony cyber-shot digital camera. I can't seem to find any bundle discounts. I figured they'd have some. As far as other discounts, I saw somewhere where they say 'free shipping on tues-thurs'-- but it doesn't have any coupon codes-- it just directs me to the sony style website. Will it work?


I doubt anyone will have any coupon codes off hand....if they exist..they are to be found at www.fatwallet.com or www.slickdeals.net ---- happy searching
 
If I can get a T61 14.1" with/

2.5 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 6 MB Cache
XP Pro
128 MB GPU
4 GB RAM
160 GB HD
DVD Burner
Wireless A/G/N
Bluetooth
9 cell battery
4 yr service warrenty


for $1668

Should I do it?
 
If I can get a T61 14.1" with/

2.5 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 6 MB Cache
XP Pro
128 MB GPU
4 GB RAM
160 GB HD
DVD Burner
Wireless A/G/N
Bluetooth
9 cell battery
4 yr service warrenty


for $1668

Should I do it?

no....I would get the 1gb ram and save yourself ~$300 and buy it yourself for $50 and install it

I got a similarly equiped T61 for $850 after all discounts
 
I agree with Syncope; buy your RAM separately and save a lot of money. Furthermore, as said before, 4 gigs of RAM can only be taken advantage of in a 64 bit OS. If that matters to you, check your OS.

Also, I know the new Penryn speeds are in increments of 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5, so I have to ask: what are you going to be doing that requires one of the highest (could be the highest) processing speeds? It isn't cheap for that kind of upgrade, as 2.1 does more than enough for programs like Photoshop and Nero running at the same time.

Also, that 4 year service warranty is pricey as well. I don't know what you plan on doing with/to your laptop, but I think you can cut that down to 2 years and save a lot of money.

My suggestion: avoid making a computer that has everything and anything that it can possibly have. Think about what you want to do and you'll be surprised that a fully equipped machine will never reach its full potential with just Office and Photoshop. I've seen my friends do this and I can never convince them to drop to the specs, but its their money and their choice. I just wish they knew where it was going.

Earlier people said that the processing speed on the X61 was questionable as they wanted to run Photoshop, which is probably not true. I'd be more worried about having 2 gigs of RAM before the processor, as even the LV ones can run things like WoW and Nero without a drop in performance. Don't underestimate what your machine can do.
 
I agree with Syncope; buy your RAM separately and save a lot of money. Furthermore, as said before, 4 gigs of RAM can only be taken advantage of in a 64 bit OS. If that matters to you, check your OS.

Also, I know the new Penryn speeds are in increments of 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5, so I have to ask: what are you going to be doing that requires one of the highest (could be the highest) processing speeds? It isn't cheap for that kind of upgrade, as 2.1 does more than enough for programs like Photoshop and Nero running at the same time.

Also, that 4 year service warranty is pricey as well. I don't know what you plan on doing with/to your laptop, but I think you can cut that down to 2 years and save a lot of money.

My suggestion: avoid making a computer that has everything and anything that it can possibly have. Think about what you want to do and you'll be surprised that a fully equipped machine will never reach its full potential with just Office and Photoshop. I've seen my friends do this and I can never convince them to drop to the specs, but its their money and their choice. I just wish they knew where it was going.

Earlier people said that the processing speed on the X61 was questionable as they wanted to run Photoshop, which is probably not true. I'd be more worried about having 2 gigs of RAM before the processor, as even the LV ones can run things like WoW and Nero without a drop in performance. Don't underestimate what your machine can do.

I couldn't have said it better myself

I forgot to address the diff b/w 64 and 32 bit vista---only the 64 bit will recognize the full 4gb of ram, the 32 bit will only recognize 3gb of ram

You are "overkill" on the cpu as well....unless you plan on doing rendering, video editing, or compiling, there is no need to spend the extra on cpu power.....the bottlneck is usually the HD...i would get a 7200rpm hd as that will speed up ure comp more significantly than any change in CPU

I would also kill the warranty. I only keep notebooks for ~2 years before I get a new one...so the 1 year standard warranty is enough for me....but I also buy with american express, and as a benefit, they add on 1 more year of warranty on top of what lenovo offers, so that equals 2 years of warranty
 
Well, remember that the 7200 RPM HDDs also take up more power for speed. Both are pretty nice to have, so you'll just have to make a decision.

As for warranty, I completely agree Syncope. If I could, I would even remove the 1 year warranty and reduce the price. There's a reason why when you buy things at Fry's they nag you to get a warranty. For the most part, it is free money to the company.

A little technical knowledge, internet searches and patience can accomplish things IT/customer service can. Hardware failures are rare early on and even then, you'll have the company warranty anyway (3 months?) so it'll be covered regardless of any extra plan.

This is also a good time to bring up that customer service does not really affect my outlook on a company's product. It would be nice to have excellent CS, but I care more about if the product is good. For example, I had a friend recently get into a scuffle with HP's customer service over them losing his HDD after he sent it in for a video card repair. He said he was more upset about the CS being crappy than the video card.

Since his situation was unfortunate and rare, I would count HP out just because their CS is crummy. If the product is generally good, you can be satisfied.
 
Lenovo products are excellent, I wish I could say the same about the CS

The power consumption to the 7200rpm is minimum with the new hitachi drives....

another thing to worry about with a 7200rpm is extra heat, which is minimal
 
I'm writing on my Lenovo X61 tablet right now. It changes my handwriting to font. I love having this computer, so much fun to have during class, (like right now). I bring it to class everyday, it seems to be pretty hardy.

Good luck to everybody searching for a computer! 🙂👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no....I would get the 1gb ram and save yourself ~$300 and buy it yourself for $50 and install it

I got a similarly equiped T61 for $850 after all discounts

[FONT=Courier New,Courier][SIZE=+1]Newegg.com[/SIZE].[SIZE=+1] - 2x2GB DDR2 Laptop Computer Memory for $65[/SIZE]
A pair of 2GB G.Skill 667MHz DDR2 memory for laptop computer for $70, and coupon code MEM4145 gives $5 off. A good deal without waiting for a rebate. You would need to remove the existing memory from your DDR2 compatible laptop computer, and replace it with this memory to get 4GB of RAM.
 
what is so wrong with dell or hp labtops? I do not get why they are so much cheaper than others that offer the same or less.

does anyone own the dell xps labtop, i heard it was decent.
 
what is so wrong with dell or hp labtops? I do not get why they are so much cheaper than others that offer the same or less.

does anyone own the dell xps labtop, i heard it was decent.


cheaper in price generally means cheaper in quality

do you want somethign that is plasticy and toyish and will probably crack on you after some rough use?

or would you rather have something with a magnesium cage to protect all components

personally, i rather pay a few hundred more for a notebook that will be reliable
 
what is so wrong with dell or hp labtops? I do not get why they are so much cheaper than others that offer the same or less.

does anyone own the dell xps labtop, i heard it was decent.

cousin has one. the cd slot is really flimsy. Otherwise it looks and operates ok.

Think of it as the difference between a Volvo and a Kia. They both offer the same, but the volvo is so much more expensive.

You get what you pay for.

ha, than what's the honda accord?

I've had a dell laptop since 2004? no problems whatsoever, except until like last week when the fan started making a terrible grinding noise. It still works, but I just need to get a new fan for it. But a 4 year life of a laptop is pretty good imo. A lot of times people confuse hardware issues with software/OS issues. I work at an HP shop, and they seemingly always pick the worst 3rd party components for parts.

In the 7 years of working in the tech industry, there is no surefire great brand. all computers suck.